Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Gore was older last year and handled 290 touches. Let AP build up a lather and let him go, see how he handles it. He's always been like Portis was in that he can kill teams in the 4th if you let him go and punish defenses. That's when he'll start breaking chunk plays. And hopefully he stays healthy. But wins in the beginning of the season are worth just as much on the schedule as wins later in the season, so if running him into the ground is necessary for a respectable ground game I wouldn't "save" him for a hopeful playoff run. We don't have a history of winning enough games to get cute. Do what you gotta do each week to win, and if he's spent by week 9 maybe Jamaal Charles is still out there to bring a spark. But a strong running game and W's early in the season are really good for the locker room and helps everybody, from the QB to the WR's and TE's to the defense who will be more fresh. 

I think AP will be fine though. He'll either get injured or lead the team in rushing by a massive amount, he's in that Gore class of agelessness and more of a freak. 

You're spot on. In terms of physical ability AP is just one of those guys that shatters the mold, and he's p.o'd that he became an after thought so he's motivated.  . For me AP as a physical specimen is up there with Jim Brown and O.J Simpson.  

I heard his interview on the radio today so here it is: https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/gruden-heck-no-adrian-peterson-wont-be-playing-preseason-finale

"Asked if Peterson has a chance to be the starter at running back, Gruden said, "Oh, without a doubt. I think so. I think Rob Kelley and Samaje, they're good running backs. We're happy with them. But Samaje's been beat up with his ankle, so he hasn't been able to practice for the last week or so, and Rob's really been the only healthy, big back we've got. So Rob and Adrian could be our 1-2, and Samaje could be 3, and then obviously Chris Thompson. We have Byron Marshall and Kapri Bibbs still to decide about. We've got some choices there, but I would imagine Adrian will be there."

1 hour ago, zskins said:

I heard his interview on the radio today so here it is: https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/gruden-heck-no-adrian-peterson-wont-be-playing-preseason-finale

"Asked if Peterson has a chance to be the starter at running back, Gruden said, "Oh, without a doubt. I think so. I think Rob Kelley and Samaje, they're good running backs. We're happy with them. But Samaje's been beat up with his ankle, so he hasn't been able to practice for the last week or so, and Rob's really been the only healthy, big back we've got. So Rob and Adrian could be our 1-2, and Samaje could be 3, and then obviously Chris Thompson. We have Byron Marshall and Kapri Bibbs still to decide about. We've got some choices there, but I would imagine Adrian will be there."

Sounds like they're trying to decide whether to keep 4 or 5 RB's.

And whether to keep Perine. And who will backup CT.

Very interesting choice of words when he said Perine "could" be #3. Sounds like that leaves the possibility of Perine being cut.

Add to that, we have never heard Gruden say "I looooooooooove me some Samaje Perine"

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Very interesting choice of words when he said Perine "could" be #3. Sounds like that leaves the possibility of Perine being cut.

If he said Adrian and Kelley would be our one two then you can read something into it,  but since he said could for both it probably doesn't mean much. 

My guess is cause only one able to stay healthy that a stretch. Tho the fact he has improved on his receiving abilities does make a case that could keep as both backup for AP and Thompson. He looked fine receiving in i think was 2nd preseason by all accounts has looked good in training camp in that area. 

2 minutes ago, cober said:

My guess is cause only one able to stay healthy that a stretch. Tho the fact he has improved on his receiving abilities does make a case that could keep as both backup for AP and Thompson. He looked fine receiving in i think was 2nd preseason by all accounts has looked good in training camp in that area. 

Rob Kelley? 

He has 1 catch for 13 yards this preseason.  I dont even remember it.  

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I still have no idea what Kelley has ever shown that would garner having a roster spot "locked up" 

It is really hard to fire a guy who works hard and tries his best to do whatever you ask. Especially when firing such a guy makes it look like those are not the most critical factors when you keep saying they are.

2 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

It is really hard to fire a guy who works hard and tries his best to do whatever you ask. Especially when firing such a guy makes it look like those are not the most critical factors when you keep saying they are.

We have to go from 90 to 53 this weekend.  Of the 37 players cut... 34 of then works hard, tries their best, and does whatever the coach asks... 

I'm a huge fan of Rob Kelley's and I love his story.  I want him to be a contributor and a member of the team.  I am also a fan and not a decision maker.  Ashburn needs to not care about what we think and keep the 53 players who give the Redskins the best chance to win every week.... I have a hard time seeing Kelley as one of those players.  

14 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

We have to go from 90 to 53 this weekend.  Of the 37 players cut... 34 of then works hard, tries their best, and does whatever the coach asks... 

I'm a huge fan of Rob Kelley's and I love his story.  I want him to be a contributor and a member of the team.  I am also a fan and not a decision maker.  Ashburn needs to not care about what we think and keep the 53 players who give the Redskins the best chance to win every week.... I have a hard time seeing Kelley as one of those players.  

Yes, it is really an issue but I was just trying to come up with some reason why Gruden seems to be willing to shoot himself in the foot.I am about 85% confident that Gruden MUST make the playoffs if he wants to be the Redskins HC next year.  So, in my opinion, either he doesn't or is so blinded by something like Kelly's story, that he will.  I guess he could be a wishful thrinker but I don't think he would even make it to NFL coordinator if that was true. 

Of course, my opinion is based solely on my personal observations (only pre-season games) and the second hand analysis of reports coming out of training camp. I guess, he could truly be our third best back since I am only a fan.

15 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

I haven’t witnessed it this preseason but from what I understand Kelly does play some special teams, probably can play some fullback in a pinch also. Unless he gets hurt again he most likely will be on the roster. AD with Thompson could make a very good 1-2 punch.Peterson should help Alex a lot with his play action. 

Kelley played on kickoffs,  at least in the first half. We left at halftime 

53 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Yes, it is really an issue but I was just trying to come up with some reason why Gruden seems to be willing to shoot himself in the foot.I am about 85% confident that Gruden MUST make the playoffs if he wants to be the Redskins HC next year.  So, in my opinion, either he doesn't or is so blinded by something like Kelly's story, that he will.  I guess he could be a wishful thrinker but I don't think he would even make it to NFL coordinator if that was true. 

Of course, my opinion is based solely on my personal observations (only pre-season games) and the second hand analysis of reports coming out of training camp. I guess, he could truly be our third best back since I am only a fan.

I get that... and you may very well be right.  Gruden himself may have a hard time pulling the plug.  Kelley stands out to him because of the player he is, not the contributions he makes.  I'm sorry I wasn't trying to come at you, I get what you're saying.... that you're speaking from a Gruden perspective, not your own.  

13 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I get that... and you may very well be right.  Gruden himself may have a hard time pulling the plug.  Kelley stands out to him because of the player he is, not the contributions he makes.  I'm sorry I wasn't trying to come at you, I get what you're saying.... that you're speaking from a Gruden perspective, not your own.  

I never thought you were coming at me. I am just trying to figure out why Gruden might want to keep him.

Other reasons that might be more positive.  Subtle things like blocking including the instinct as a back to pop out for the check-down versus staying in pass-pro, versatility and ball security (Kelley has no fumbles). I would posit that Matt Jones' real issue was that he never got the ball security thing down (extrapolation is not good but it is the best we have, in 2016 had he not had those issues, he probably goes for over 1100 yards and 9 TDs).

Kelley also has a decent year and was productive as a starter in 6 of 9 with 6TDS and also did good work as a backup. In his 3 bad games in 2016, he wasn't alone in suck. Meanwhile, in Perine's one season, he fumbled twice, had only 2 productive games in the 8 starts and really never had a good game as the backup (he did come close against the Rams but he did get more tries than your backups usually going to get).

4 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

I never thought you were coming at me. I am just trying to figure out why Gruden might want to keep him.

Other reasons that might be more positive.  Subtle things like blocking including the instinct as a back to pop out for the check-down versus staying in pass-pro, versatility and ball security (Kelley has no fumbles). I would posit that Matt Jones' real issue was that he never got the ball security thing down (extrapolation is not good but it is the best we have, in 2016 had he not had those issues, he probably goes for over 1100 yards and 9 TDs).

Kelley also has a decent year and was productive as a starter in 6 of 9 with 6TDS and also did good work as a backup. In his 3 bad games in 2016, he wasn't alone in suck. Meanwhile, in Perine's one season, he fumbled twice, had only 2 productive games in the 8 starts and really never had a good game as the backup (he did come close against the Rams but he did get more tries than your backups usually going to get).

All true... I do still think we're yet to see Perine's ability.  I don't have the same feeling about Kelley.  I don't see anything that would cause me to think Kelley is going to take some step forward and improve as a runner.  Perine on the other hand has shown the ability to have that out of the backfield break away ability, as well as some truly gashing style runs.  I look at the preseason numbers THIS year and it's staggering what the other RBs have been able to do in comparison to Kelley. 

8 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

I've posted this about 100 times, but Gruden LOVES Kelley because he's a try-hard guy, maximizes his talent, and does exactly what the coaches ask him to do to the absolute best of his limited ability.

Gruden LOVES guys like this.  See Ryan Grant.  And he thinks that with his ability to "scheme it up," if he has his try-hard guys, he can put them in a position to succeed. 

Ultimately, he's about half-right.  He was able to make Ryan Grant a serviceable second WR.  And he could probably get Kelley to 1000 yards if he stayed healthy.

The problem is that he can't seem to see the ceilings of these guys limiting the overall production of the offense.  (Or defense, for that matter.  See, Compton, Will.) Grant should be no more than a 4th WR for a good team.  Because he lacks size, speed and explosion.  He is a great backup and rotational guy.

When he's on the field as a starter, teams can take him away basically with an average DB.  He'll get a few catches a game, a few first downs, but he won't pull coverage, won't demand a double-team, and can't make the "special" play.

Same with Kelley.  He can get 3-ish yards on a run that's blocked for 3-ish yards.  He'll pick up blitzes pretty well.  But he's not going to force defenses to drop a safety into the box because they're worried he's going to break a tackle or two and make a 4 yard run turn into a 17 yard run. 

Shrug.  Nobody is perfect at this stuff.  Scot McLoughan swore that Matt Jones was going to be the next AP. He wasn't even Trung Canidate... 

On 8/27/2018 at 12:13 PM, Darth Tater said:
On 8/27/2018 at 10:13 AM, Reaper Skins said:

I would guess Perine is the one who ends up doing a lot at FB (he seems the better receiver too).

I proposed Perine as FB months ago after we drafted Guice and I saw a lot of his successful LSU runs utilized a FB. I didnt expect Peterson to have better stats when also having a FB, too. So I agree that because of his size, Perine could be a formidable FB. Also, I think the 22 Personnel would a be great formation to audible out of depending on the defensive looks. Run with AP, pass to Perine, pass to either TE with 2 RBs helping protect the pocket or the RBs pulling a SAM or WILL outside when they go to the flat. Lots of possibilities. 

On 8/27/2018 at 2:38 PM, Chachie said:

That's the biggest thing I noticed about AP over our guys. Vision. We've been complaining for 2 seasons about not finding holes, not cutting, not bursting to the line, etc. Peterson showed in one half of football the things we haven't been getting for 2-3 years. 

And look how instantly better our OL looks!  It must've been frustrating for years having to hold a block only to see your RB on the ground behind your feet. Also, the OL probably felt they had to extend their blocks longer and put their health at risk. Watch the Peterson highlights and the OL could make their initial block, create the crease, Peterson scoots by, then the lineman can disengage; unless a lineman is a 2nd level blocker, of course. 

36 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

And look how instantly better our OL looks?  It must've been frustrating for years having to hold a block only to see your RB on the ground behind your feet. Also, the OL probably felt they had to extend their blocks longer and put their health at risk. Watch the Peterson highlights and the OL could make their initial block, create the crease, Peterson scoots by, then the lineman can disengage; unless a lineman is a 2nd level blocker, of course. 

Funny you bring this up!   I thought one of the best things I heard AP say was that one thing he saw on tape (or after game reaction, can't remember) was him calling out (in a positive way) the OLine needing to hold the blocks a bit longer.  It could be the difference between a 13 and 50 yard run he stated.

9 minutes ago, superozman said:

Funny you bring this up!   I thought one of the best things I heard AP say was that one thing he saw on tape (or after game reaction, can't remember) was him calling out (in a positive way) the OLine needing to hold the blocks a bit longer.  It could be the difference between a 13 and 50 yard run he stated.

He actually called out his receivers to hold blocks longer not the oline.

Archived