Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

I think what  (Fans,Shannon everyone else) is forgetting is that we didn't sign AP in the off season as BIG HIGH PRICED free agent with the intention of him coming in and being the superstar he use to be. We signed him at the league vet minimum in response to our projected starting rookie running back going down. This is a win for the Redskins but of course the media loves to hate on us, We are the Trump of the NFL lol. Listen the worst case scenario is AP runs out of gas by week 4 or 5 and we are back to were we started. Lets not forget Chris Thompson is coming back, No one is talking about this guy and everyone forget behind Alvin Kamara Thompson was the most explosive 3rd down running back in the league.

I think Shannon Sharpe is being overly critical of AP and I think AP is being overly sensitive, Shannon and Chris Carter get paid to **** talk, Its what they do. At the same time i can understand how a future hall of famer might feel insulted being judged so late in his career, I never remember anyone trashing Emmit Smith when he finished his career with Arizona ?

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

AP still looks like a man amongst boys on the sideline and on the field.  I fully expect him to see 15-20 touches a game.  My only concern is how long it lasts.  Like Zoony I can’t help but see disappointment down the line even though I’m excited to have him.

This is indeed the worry, you can have all the heart and drive in the world but playing as if you are in your early 20s when you are mid 30s will eventually lead to your body breaking down. He should be the feature back, but I don't like his chances of lasting 16 games or more if he is getting 25 carries a game.

29 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I think what  (Fans,Shannon everyone else) is forgetting is that we didn't sign AP in the off season as BIG HIGH PRICED free agent with the intention of him coming in and being the superstar he use to be. We signed him at the league vet minimum in response to our projected starting rookie running back going down. This is a win for the Redskins but of course the media loves to hate on us, We are the Trump of the NFL lol. Listen the worst case scenario is AP runs out of gas by week 4 or 5 and we are back to were we started. Lets not forget Chris Thompson is coming back, No one is talking about this guy and everyone forget behind Alvin Kamara Thompson was the most explosive 3rd down running back in the league.

I think Shannon Sharpe is being overly critical of AP and I think AP is being overly sensitive, Shannon and Chris Carter get paid to **** talk, Its what they do. At the same time i can understand how a future hall of famer might feel insulted being judged so late in his career, I never remember anyone trashing Emmit Smith when he finished his career with Arizona ?

I think Peterson took more issue with the comments that Carter made, basically saying he was trash at the end of his career so AP is as well and he should just retire.

Just now, Zazzaro703 said:

This is indeed the worry, you can have all the heart and drive in the world but playing as if you are in your early 20s when you are mid 30s will eventually lead to your body breaking down. He should be the feature back, but I don't like his chances of lasting 16 games or more if he is getting 25 carries a game.

Agreed, but I think that even at that our running game will produce more with him there for 15 carries a game. And hopefully 15 carries a game will help him last longer.

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I think Peterson took more issue with the comments that Carter made, basically saying he was trash at the end of his career so AP is as well and he should just retire.

Agreed, but I think that even at that our running game will produce more with him there for 15 carries a game. And hopefully 15 carries a game will help him last longer.

Definitely, I just hope he is ok with that. He didn't like his role of splitting carries last year and it showed. I'd like to see him get 15-20 carries a game but it all comes down to what is actually happening during the game. If he is gashing a team I obviously don't think they should limit his carries for that game. I'm just glad there is actually optimism at the RB position. Guice going down was just devastating realizing we were probably stuck with the bush league rushing attack we have had since Jay has been here. AP hasn't done anything yet, but at least there is hope.

5 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Definitely, I just hope he is ok with that. He didn't like his role of splitting carries last year and it showed. I'd like to see him get 15-20 carries a game but it all comes down to what is actually happening during the game. If he is gashing a team I obviously don't think they should limit his carries for that game. I'm just glad there is actually optimism at the RB position. Guice going down was just devastating realizing we were probably stuck with the bush league rushing attack we have had since Jay has been here. AP hasn't done anything yet, but at least there is hope.

Sure, play it by ear but try to get him to last as long as possible. I don't expect AP to get over 1000 yards, but think he can get close to that which is better than what the other backs have provided. And if we spell him with Perine that should be good for all parties. I would hope that since he just got signed for the vet minimum that he wouldn't be complaining about carries, but a guy with his pride its hard to say for sure. I think also that AP, for the most part, just playing on 1st and 2nd down will also help with keeping him fresh.

Its going to be an interesting season for sure. Doug Williams during the broadcast last night confirmed to me that they are keeping either Kelley or Perine, I dont remember his exact words but he basically said that Kelley or Perine will earn the roster spot. So looking like AP and his backup and then Thompson and Bibbs most likely.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I was all for getting AP especially at the money he got, so it’s not about that.  It’s a good deal for this team no matter what.  

Understand and agree, but I  was mostly saying that I'm not worrying about whether or not his 33-year-old body can hold up to an entire season of carries or if we should limit his carries to "x" amount per game. I mostly just want him to help the team get off to a fast start and get some early season wins under their belts. If he does that, I'll be happy...if he gives even more than that, I'll be pleasantly shocked lol...

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

If we can make it to game 8 with four games of "good" AP, he'll be worth the vet minimum we paid for him. It will give Smith and the WRs/TEs time to gel without having the offense grind to a halt while they do. I would love it if the Skins started off 3-1 (or better)...if AP plays a noticeable role in that record it will have been money well spent, even if he's looking like Kelley and Perine in December.

I agree we got him at a bargain basement price.   My point is more about where are we going with this ultimately? He may very well look like Perine and Kelley in December.   And that is the part that frustrates me.  I think we have the ability to compete a bit this year, albeit our secondary causes me to pause a bit, and I was looking for massive, almost transformational improvement with Guice.  I guess we will see what AP has left in the tank.

He takes tremendous care of himself.  He's a physical freak.  Yes, he might get a little tired but I think he's built for this.  

He's well rested, hasn't played since Week 14 last year.  No OTA's, training camp, barely any preseason action.  He's worked out on his own, obviously it's done well for him.

He might get tired but I think if we've got good AP through 8 games there's not gonna be much of a dropoff.

51 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He takes tremendous care of himself.  He's a physical freak.  Yes, he might get a little tired but I think he's built for this.  

He's well rested, hasn't played since Week 14 last year.  No OTA's, training camp, barely any preseason action.  He's worked out on his own, obviously it's done well for him.

He might get tired but I think if we've got good AP through 8 games there's not gonna be much of a dropoff.

Agree. We're talking about 15 carries max per game, and some short routes or pass blocks. I don't see why that would be beyond him. Can even give him extra days off, as needed. 

• 2 weeks later...
This one’s for anyone that’s ever been doubted..
#HTTR

WASRedskins18.png

Yes, Peterson truly wants to surpass Emmitt Smith as the king of all NFL rusher.

“I feel like it’s realistic you know very realistic,” Peterson said in a Tuesday appearance on the #PFTPM podcast. “In the great words of Kevin Garnett, ‘Anything is possible.’ So that’s how I view it. If I’m to continue to have success, stay injury-free and play three to four more years and I definitely see myself claiming that title and in order to achieve something you have to believe it, you know? So I’m a believer.”

Nice article by MJD on Peterson and the Redskins O-line in general. Shocking that's it's on NFL.com. They did get the stat line wrong in the ranking section at the bottom. But still I nice article. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000961308/article/rb-index-week-2-adrian-peterson-the-biggest-offseason-steal

On Peterson: 

The 12th-year running back still has some burst, can break tackles and demands an eight-man box. That was evident Sunday against the Cardinals, when he rushed for 96 yards and a touchdown on 26 carries and had 70 receiving yards on two catches. Washington's run scheme fits with what Peterson does well (he's a one-cut runner who hits the hole violently), providing Jay Gruden with a workhorse he can utilize without wearing down the dynamic Chris Thompson. The Redskins' ground game as a whole got off to a brilliant start, with 182 rushing yards -- second-most in a game for the Redskins since the start of 2017. The combo of Peterson and Thompson is already taking a lot of pressure off Alex Smith and the passing game.

On the Oline: 

As perfect as Peterson is for Washington, Washington is equally fitting for Peterson, who notched his 100th career rushing score on Sunday. Peterson didn't have consistently great offensive lines with his previous three teams (Minnesota, New Orleans and Arizona), so he often had to create his own running lanes. But that's not the case in Washington, where he's able to run behind an underrated and physical unit. With this stout O-line -- which features LT Trent Williams, LG Shawn Lauvao, C Chase Roullier, RG Brandon Scherff and RT Morgan Moses -- Peterson doesn't have to be Superman. He can simply hit the hole the O-line creates and get a full head of steam before getting to the second and third levels.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/redskins/adrian-peterson-wasnt-invited-to-an-nfl-training-camp-so-he-created-his-own/2018/09/13/f87194c6-b5f4-11e8-a7b5-adaaa5b2a57f_story.html

“If he had not worked out [that day], he would not be here, to be honest with you,” Gruden said.

The team was not planning on signing a running back that afternoon. The hope was the other backs’ injuries would not keep them out long. “But after that workout it was a no-brainer,” Gruden said. “The shape he was in, the power, the burst that he still had. Like, ‘What the hell are we thinking? Let’s just grab this guy.’ ”

24 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/redskins/adrian-peterson-wasnt-invited-to-an-nfl-training-camp-so-he-created-his-own/2018/09/13/f87194c6-b5f4-11e8-a7b5-adaaa5b2a57f_story.html

“If he had not worked out [that day], he would not be here, to be honest with you,” Gruden said.

The team was not planning on signing a running back that afternoon. The hope was the other backs’ injuries would not keep them out long. “But after that workout it was a no-brainer,” Gruden said. “The shape he was in, the power, the burst that he still had. Like, ‘What the hell are we thinking? Let’s just grab this guy.’ ”

It's almost as if Gruden had never seen a RB that was elite and could scare opposing defenses.

Oh wait.................. ;)

40 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

I liked that...didn't realize AP insisted on working out for the Skins lol. I think almost everyone at the time was thinking how Gruden was thinking, which was the Skins were just doing their due diligence in case an emergency came up, not that they would sign the guy that day.

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If Guice comes back from the injury with no ill effects, this almost feels reminiscent of when the 'Skins signed Terry Allen in the twilight of his career and then passed the ball onto Stephen Davis afterwards.

If we could have Guice, Peterson, and Thompson all healthy and at their primes, I would be so thrilled lol. But I'm guessing Peterson will still be looking for a starting job over a rotation with Guice.

Love this part of the article, too.  If Thompson and Peterson stay healthy -- I think they got a legit shot at the playoffs.   We seem to suffer from bad luck of some kind just about every season in recent years -- it would be nice for a chance to stumble on some good luck.  I thought the Guice injury was devastating how wild would it be that because of that we stumble on the 2015 version of Peterson when every team clearly thought he was washed up. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/adrian-peterson-wasnt-invited-to-an-nfl-training-camp-so-he-created-his-own/2018/09/13/f87194c6-b5f4-11e8-a7b5-adaaa5b2a57f_story.html?utm_term=.f8a75fddc352

The Redskins had brought in several running backs, younger men than Peterson but just like him: desperate for one last chance. Team officials kept saying they weren’t sure they wanted to sign someone. Their presumed starter, rookie Derrius Guice, had torn his anterior cruciate ligament in the first preseason game, and two other players were nursing injuries. The day before, Coach Jay Gruden said the organization wanted to give physicals to a few of the available running backs in case they needed to sign one in an emergency.

But Peterson hadn’t spent the previous five weeks replicating training camp just to fly to Washington and take a physical. Inside the bubble, Jordan sensed a challenge. “I wanted to see if he was in shape,” he says with a laugh.

Jordan gathered the backs and started with a few light drills, quickly building the pace. He had them hit bags, run and change direction, practice blocking and skip around cones.

The younger players asked for water. Jordan asked if Peterson needed some, too. “You want a squeeze?” the coach shouted.

“Nah, I’m good, Coach,” Peterson replied, according to Jordan. “What’s the next drill?”

An hour later, Cooper’s phone buzzed.

“I killed it,” Peterson texted.

That would be the ultimate accomplishment for Peterson, along with winning a title.

"The best player ever to play is my mindset," Peterson said. "Being able to sit back and say I had a great time playing the game I love and I won a world championship and I was the best at my position."

Of the nine modern era running backs in the Hall of Fame, three made it to age 35: Smith (35), John Riggins (36) and Marcus Allen (37). Riggins -- the only one to top 1,000 yards in a season -- rushed for a combined 2,586 yards for the Redskins at ages 34-35.

In the last two years, thanks largely to injuries, Peterson has rushed for a combined 601 yards. He was traded by New Orleans to Arizona in 2017 -- his season was shortened by a neck injury -- and then remained unsigned until Washington called in mid-August.

That hasn't stopped Peterson from saying he could still be the best running back in the NFL.

"Yeah, definitely," he said. "Being out two years, but coming off the injury in Minnesota and the injury last year, of course there's a lot that I have to prove in order to be able to show that. Inside, I know that I feel I am. It's just about doing it for a full season."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24666138/adrian-peterson-washington-redskins-wants-play-three-four-more-years

• 2 weeks later...

MVP of the season thus far IMO

Adrian Peterson’s affect on this #Redskins offense has been tremendous, he has given the team a Redzone identity and his work ethic seems to have rubbed off on everyone #VictoryMonday

Barry SandersVerified account @BarrySanders
FollowFollow @BarrySanders
More

Congrats to @AdrianPeterson on passing me and several others to get to 101 career rushing TD's & counting... AND He is having a monster game too against the @packers

Archived