Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

Even though the team had an overall bad outing last night, watching AP was so much fun.  I'm a big Rob Kelley defender on here but watching AP plow through the D-line for an easy 5 yards does show how less talented our other backs are. When the crowd was calling for AP to run on that 4th & 1 and then they exploded in a cheer when he hit the corner...that reminded me of the excitement we had in 2012.

Now that Gruden knows he has a back that can actually pick up yards on first down, I bet he could hardly sleep thinking of different plays to draw up.

Just now, beachboy757 said:

Even though the team had an overall bad outing last night, watching AP was so much fun.  I'm a big Rob Kelley defender on here but watching AP plow through the D-line for an easy 5 yards does show how less talented our other backs are. When the crowd was calling for AP to run on that 4th & 1 and then they exploded in a cheer when he hit the corner...that reminded me of the excitement we had in 2012.

Now that Gruden knows he has a back that can actually pick up yards on first down, I bet he could hardly sleep thinking of different plays to draw up.

and they can get really creative with this too. There was one play, it was a handoff to AD on their 2nd drive. Smith handed off but defenders also had to watch the play fake in case Smith kept it as he rolled right. The LB and S had to wait to be sure, which helped allow AD to burst through behind LG. This RB and QB are going to be able to help each other out quite a lot this year, if Jay zones in on it. 

11 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

and they can get really creative with this too. There was one play, it was a handoff to AD on their 2nd drive. Smith handed off but defenders also had to watch the play fake in case Smith kept it as he rolled right. The LB and S had to wait to be sure, which helped allow AD to burst through behind LG. This RB and QB are going to be able to help each other out quite a lot this year, if Jay zones in on it. 

I don't think we have to worry about that. Jay had the bootleg action in for Kirk, and I'm sure we'll see a ton of it with Smith,as he's more dangerous that Kirk ever was.

16 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

I rag on Kelley pretty badly, and it's not because I hate the guy, I just see him for what he is. Listen, I love his story getting to the NFL, I love a underdog, all that. I actually like him, I got a cool catfish in my Aquarium named "Fat Rob". He's just not a good RB. And the biggest thing he lacks is vision. And you can't teach that. Peterson has vision that most backs, even good ones don't have. He makes holes with his jumpcuts and sets up defenders to get out of position. He see where the hole is going to be 3 steps before it actually opens up. You can't teach that, it's a gift. And his explosion to get into a hole is so much better than anyone on our team. And, he runs angry, Perine needs to learn from this, if he wants to stay in the NFL.

I think this was a good signing on many fronts. Who better to be an influence to Guice when rehabbing than AP himself who always comes back stronger after injury. If he stays healthy I think he's going to have an unbelievable season. What does he even play for anymore? He's obviously got money, he just loves to work and loves the game. Wants to go out on top and I think this is his chance to do that. 

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Alex Smith handing off to Adrian Peterson sounds like an interconference Pro Bowl squad that came about 10 years too late.

One thing to keep in mind. Merely 2 years ago, Peterson lead the league in rushing, and was All Pro. Yeah, he's over 30, but I think hes got a lot more gas in the tank.

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I jave no idea what will happen in the regular season, but AP has vision that nine of the other RBs on the roster has.  And it’s not even close.

I would start AP, backup Perine, CT, and then one of Bibbs or Marshall.  

I might be be tempted to go both Bibbs and Marshall and lose Perine also, but that’s kinda way out there...

I don't want to put too much stock in AP's performance (or even the team's) last night but I will say this: The entire squad, offense and defense, was shown by the late-arriving old man. He's ready for prime time. The Redskins are not. The all need to look hard at their coaching, their conditioning, and their own mindset after that game. The Ravens will be ready. The Cardinals will be ready.

On 8/21/2018 at 4:19 PM, bakedtater1 said:

And Sheriff going to get you is okay with him taking 26?

Sheriff Gonna Get You wasn't all that happy about it.  Was on the radio and played coy, but also said that he thought the number should be retired.  

I disagree, but I see his point. 

However, if you retire every "really good" to "great" player's number, you're going to run out of numbers.  Even thought we haven't really had a player who deserves a number retirement discussion except Portis from like 1992 on.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:34 PM, Morneblade said:

Even if he sticks, I still want to scan the hell out of the waiver wire. I think we can improve our depth, as I'm not much of a fan of either Perine or Kelley at this point.

Kelley is a JAG.  He tries hard, works out a lot, and is liked by Gruden. He lacks explosion and vision.  He is Ryan Grant.  A try hard player who knows what they are supposed to do but doesn't have the physical talent to do it. 

Perine has more physical talent, however he has a fumbling issue, and gets hurt a lot based on the small sample size. That's a problem.

If it were me, I would cut Kelley tomorrow, because you can find another Kelley anywhere if you need one.  I would strongly consider just rolling with AP, CT, Bibbs and Marshall.  If AP goes out of the game, you can just feature more stuff that CT/Marshall/Bibbs do, which Alex Smith would be fine at.  You would lose a little in the power-run game, but if you're a smart coach, you can actually work that to your advantage.  And I think that if you want 5-10 runs on first down, you could split those runs between Bibbs/Marshall/CT and be ok.  There's no LAW that says a smaller/quicker back CAN'T take first down carries every now and then, you just have to run it a little differently.  Maybe a little more creative running, read-option, etc.  Which Gruden hasn't done a lot of, however Alex Smith is pretty good at...

And my guess is that if AP gets injured early in the season, you could re-sign at least Kelley, because it's very doubtful anybody else will sign him to their 53 right away. 

Both Bibbs and Marshall seem to have more talent than Kelley and Perine, so that's the way I would go.  And I understand that is unconventional.  

41 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I don't want to put too much stock in AP's performance (or even the team's) last night but I will say this: The entire squad, offense and defense, was shown by the late-arriving old man. He's ready for prime time. The Redskins are not. The all need to look hard at their coaching, their conditioning, and their own mindset after that game. The Ravens will be ready. The Cardinals will be ready.

I agree. Week 1 is a game they have to win.  They have to make sure they are prepared.  

Team's take on the personality of the leader.  And that's true in life, not just football.  So if the leader is loosey-goosey, then the team will be also.  If the leader is tough-as-nails, then the team will be as well.  We have one and not the other in our head coach.  I'll let you figure out which one we have...

The difference in vision is astounding. On that 4th down run, Kelley would have ran into the back of the OL, done a spun move, and lost 3 yards, and everyone would have cursed out the run blocking. To make it as a successful back you gotta be able to make a guy, maybe two miss, very rarely is your OL just going to straight up block everyone mano y mano.

Kelley needs to be cut. He is a complete JAG. Perine does have some talent and I think at worst he's an okay backup. I like Bibbs as a mini Thompson.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It would take a lot longer for the Redskins to have that problem than other teams,

I know you were going for a laugh, but I did in fact add “Even thought we haven't really had a player who deserves a number retirement discussion except Portis from like 1992 on.“ as part of the sentence you quoted....

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The difference in vision is astounding. On that 4th down run, Kelley would have ran into the back of the OL, done a spun move, and lost 3 yards, and everyone would have cursed out the run blocking. To make it as a successful back you gotta be able to make a guy, maybe two miss, very rarely is your OL just going to straight up block everyone mano y mano.

Kelley needs to be cut. He is a complete JAG. Perine does have some talent and I think at worst he's an okay backup. I like Bibbs as a mini Thompson.

“Ooooooohhhhhh, I love Rob Kelley” - Jay from like 2 years ago.

he is the new Ryan Grant.  A guy who should be a 3rd or 4th option, but who Jay loves so will stick around until some else forces the issue.

Im hoping Doug forces the hand before the season...

Just one more on Peterson.  On the Guice thread, I did some stills months back like this to show Kelley-Perine's lack of vision and missed opportunities.  So i am used to freezing their stills.  With Peterson its so much tough for me to do it versus them because the dude cuts so fast. It took me like 5 minutes to isolate his cut here because he does it so fast.  I've been down as anyone about the Guice injury. But if Peterson stays healthy and plays like this IMO -- he looks like a stud.  I liked the signing but I still never imagined he could still play at this high of a level.  

petersoncut.thumb.png.e287c3c76309118377c466280366d23f.png

also on the same play, there is a chance to tackle a slower lets say 4.68 speed RB like Kelley but Peterson darts past the defenders.  He might have lost a step but to my eyes, he still looks fast on film or at the very least his feet are really fast. 

petersoncut2.thumb.png.109bd8b2d0148e8b58b4ae5e7c2d5658.png

15 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/05/adrian-peterson-vikings-parenting-child-abuse-case

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13432433/adrian-peterson-suspended-reality

HE HAS ALWAYS relied on pain as his primary motivator, and in the first days of Peterson's suspension, he vowed to friends that his resolve would only increase. He would run harder, angrier -- just as he believed all those other whippings had shaped him as a man and as an athlete. "A caged animal," one uncle says of him. "He's

Hell be running with the anger of a world class athlete who's children worry about being punched in the face! So much fun to route for! 

14 hours ago, sjinhan said:

Dude if he THAT good that we cannot afford him then he is getting paid by a different team.... for 1 year vet min, if redskins get that kind of season from AP and future 3rd comp pick after he leaves for a big contract... we all should be sending AP thank you letters 

you are absolutely right, I totally missed that

Lol.  20 ****ing monitor matrix set up to still be a numbnuts.  Small sample size theater.  No contextual awareness whatsoever.  Yeah first down rushes against a stacked front don't have a great success rate.  You still do it because it's first down and it makes moving the chains on second and third down easier. This is smashmouth football and it has worked since football was invented.

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

My statistical analysis of that guy is that mustaches are so 70's and that there's a 97% chance that his wife hates it, and a 73% chance she doesn't even kiss him. 

Do NOT rain on my Adrian Peterson parade, sir! 

He looks like an extra from Chips!?

What is ironic, and sad, is that Guices runs in his debut were eerily similar to AD/AP's runs.  This may be a blessing to have a man who went through the same injury, and nearly broke the single season rushing record the next year.  This may be a gift for this year, and for years to come. I saw immediately that his style, while an innate gift, reflected AD/AP.  Perfect signing at a perfect time, beyond the norm. Hail

Archived