Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

Just enjoy #26 while he’s around. The last two seasons he’s missed 18 games. I will not sleep on this type of athlete though, I don’t care how old he is. If he can hold up and he’s productive, who knows. Fingers crossed??We haven’t had someone of his pedigree in a while, kinda excited to see him try and make it happen. 

I am warming up to the signing but can see him getting pissy if he is not the starter.  I think we are looking at a by committee approach from Jay, since Kelley will get snaps.

While I have never been a big believer in the widely accepted RB theory stating that backs need lots of reps to succeed, that theory remains prominent in many backs minds.  Backs have 10 duds and then break a 20 yarder. Lather rinse repeat.

My theory, they are just as likely to break that 20 yarder on their first carry, as they are the 10th, for the defense gets paid too. The D is adjusting and is not going to just let the back do what he wants.

The AP signing really clouds my ability to annually overload my fantasy team with Skins.

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I understand that.  The point still remains.  Gruden didn't think Grant was Jerry Rice.  He thought he was a coachable guy who was where he was supposed to be, and contrary to popular opinion here, he was a pretty damn good 4th or 5th WR.  

Anywho, back on topic.  Glad we're giving AP a shot.  Hopefully he'll be a nice little bridge for us.  Would be a good break for a change.

He was a good 4th or 5th WR during his last season with us, which is why it was all the more unfortunate that Gruden used him as a 2nd or 3rd WR. Kelley starting again would be a continuation of that trend.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:44 PM, Reaper Skins said:

All Day is back.

The Redskins are signing running back Adrian Peterson, sources told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.

Around The NFL will have more on this story soon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000949610/article/redskins-to-sign-veteran-rb-adrian-peterson

Its a one year deal according to WAPO

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/08/20/redskins-to-sign-former-nfl-mvp-adrian-peterson/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5186999e39ac

I'd like to think that his offseason training with Trent Williams played a role in this.  Both with his decision to come here and with Trent being able to offer insights to the coaches about Peterson's ability to still play.

If we didn't have Thompson as a 3rd down back, I'd be way less optimistic.  As it is, I think he'll be able to give enough to be productive without having to rely on him for 30 carries a game.  And I think even at this point in his career, he might offer more speed and better vision than Kelley

Sooners North makes a move on Bama North. 

Hopeful that AP plays well for us

We need that running back that when in the redzone you know they are going to hand him the ball and you also know that he is going to score and the opponent can't stop it 

Seems like forever since you could feel that way on first and goal from the 6 yard line

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Watching his interview, he made multiple subtle inferences that this offensive line is better than previous lines he's played behind.

Looking forward to see if that makes a difference.

Over the last few years, there's been a number of theories as to why our running game stank. One was that we lacked the horses, but another was that our backs kept missing holes. I'm not sure what our problem has been, is it out tight ends' inability/unwillingness to block, our oline not being a good run blocking unit/too weak up the middle, or was it the backs. Even with a diminished Peterson, I would guess we will get to see how a good back take advantage of this line or if he is victimized by it. AP may not be able to do what he used to, but I suspect he can still get to the hole and follow the play that develops.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I am warming up to the signing but can see him getting pissy if he is not the starter.  I think we are looking at a by committee approach from Jay, since Kelley will get snaps.

While I have never been a big believer in the widely accepted RB theory stating that backs need lots of reps to succeed, that theory remains prominent in many backs minds.  Backs have 10 duds and then break a 20 yarder. Lather rinse repeat.

My theory, they are just as likely to break that 20 yarder on their first carry, as they are the 10th, for the defense gets paid too. The D is adjusting and is not going to just let the back do what he wants.

The AP signing really clouds my ability to annually overload my fantasy team with Skins.

I think that belief is based on RBs needing to get into a rhythm, getting used to being hit again and again, taking advantage of things they're starting to see on each play...stuff like that more so than needing to stay in the game in order to break off a big run or two.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Over the last few years, there's been a number of theories as to why our running game stank. One was that we lacked the horses, but another was that our backs kept missing holes. I'm not sure what our problem has been, is it out tight ends' inability/unwillingness to block, our oline not being a good run blocking unit/too weak up the middle, or was it the backs. Even with a diminished Peterson, I would guess we will get to see how a good back take advantage of this line or if he is victimized by it. AP may not be able to do what he used to, but I suspect he can still get to the hole and follow the play that develops.

I've been thinking about this since the signing.

If Peterson does well, then it will kind of vindicate the offensive line for our below par running game. The blame will go to previous RBs for not being able to find the holes or hit them with speed.

If AP doesn't do so well, then things are less clear cut. Does the blame then lie with the OLine's run blocking ability, or is it that Peterson just doesn't have it any more?

Let's just hope that all the backs do well, and I would imagine that no-one will care who was to blame for the past few years rushing woes.

I'm not saying this is going to happen its totally hypothetical and it'd be a good problem to have I'm just curious.

What if Peterson somehow finds the fountain of youth and has a great season.

What do we do next year when he's 34 and we got guice coming back.

Do we give him the significant raise he'd be looking for or let him walk. 

4 hours ago, c slag said:

Hopeful that AP plays well for us

We need that running back that when in the redzone you know they are going to hand him the ball and you also know that he is going to score and the opponent can't stop it 

Seems like forever since you could feel that way on first and goal from the 6 yard line

Really its been since Alfred Morris in 2012. Before that you have to go back to Clinton Portis.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I think that belief is based on RBs needing to get into a rhythm, getting used to being hit again and again, taking advantage of things they're starting to see on each play...stuff like that more so than needing to stay in the game in order to break off a big run or two.

I also think it has a lot to do with stamina... those LBS and safeties get smacked into again and again and it is about who falters. That helmet and shoulders slamming into their thighs and chest over and over takes a toll.. so it becomes a game of "who gets tired of it first". A back doesn't rip off 20 yard runs in the 3rd and 4th qtr because he gets faster.. more that he and the OL have beaten the defense into submission. 

See all the old film of the Riggo Drill.. that is all it was.  John and the hogs are stronger than you. And all those runs add up on a defense until they can't stop it anymore 

I think AP fits that mold.

~Bang 

17 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Depends on how good of a season he had but I’d definitely resign him if he’s good. 

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Watching his interview, he made multiple subtle inferences that this offensive line is better than previous lines he's played behind.

Looking forward to see if that makes a difference.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

We have to believe our O line is better than what the Cards had last year and even then he still had two games with over 130 yds and one game 79 yds. All three games got a W. I have to believe that AP can do a better job than RK in exploiting holes or even creating them. Sure he won't be the #1 back but I will take it if he gets couple of more wins as a part-timer. 

4 hours ago, c slag said:

I think this is one of the biggest reasons for us needing a good RB. Getting ‘stats’ yards between the 20’s isnt the same as having the ability to move the ball in the red zone; get those tough yards where it counts. When defenses know you have a legit running game, they have to respect that; plan for that. I think the lack of a running threat has been our biggest dilemma in the red zone. 

I'm more concerned about the line's ability to open up some running lanes for him, or any other back getting the hand-off.

The experience AP brings to the team is valuable, not only to teammates but to Gruden and the o-line coach as well. This will be a learning curve Gruden will have to factor in; we all know he favors more of a passing game, but was it because he didn't have good backs in the past or was it his MO.

Regardless, I hope the line and other backs pick his brain and maybe learn a tip or 2 here and there to help them when they need it; A guy like AP doesn't come around all the time, his abilities in the past were astounding, and his insight in the game is something to really pay attention to. I think the only way he fails is if Gruden doesn't 'adjust' some to help him out and the team.

1 hour ago, JaxJoe said:

I think this is one of the biggest reasons for us needing a good RB. Getting ‘stats’ yards between the 20’s isnt the same as having the ability to move the ball in the red zone; get those tough yards where it counts. When defenses know you have a legit running game, they have to respect that; plan for that. I think the lack of a running threat has been our biggest dilemma in the red zone. 

nothing is more frustrating than watching the run game fail again and again to score from the friggin' one.

Nothing. Especially when you remember the dominant runners we've had here who would score and that was that.

It is weakness manifested for allllll to see.

~Bang

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I'm not saying this is going to happen its totally hypothetical and it'd be a good problem to have I'm just curious.

What if Peterson somehow finds the fountain of youth and has a great season.

Anything can happen.

Remember when Riggins ran for over 1,300 yards and a record-setting 24 tds in 1983, he was 34 years old.

Even when he turned 35, Riggins ran for over 1,200 yards and 14 tds.

Of course, he had the Hogs to run behind, but the current o-line is also pretty good.

As I said, anything can happen. I'm not expecting Peterson to do what Riggins did, but he can do very well here.

2 hours ago, Bang said:

See all the old film of the Riggo Drill.. that is all it was.  John and the hogs are stronger than you. And all those runs add up on a defense until they can't stop it anymore 

I think AP fits that mold.

~Bang 

in 1983 at age 34, he rushed for an NFL single-season record 24 touchdowns, and again led the league in rushing touchdowns the following season at age 35.

THIS is where I'm at too. Riggo Drill 2.0

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

@HTTRDynasty Thats pretty impressive considering he only rushed for ABOUT 450 yards in that span.  65% of his yards were AFTER contact... 

Yes, not worried about that. You could see from his 2017 runs that he still has power to churn out extra yards. What I was most impressed with, as Mourningblades said, was the vision. Even with some lost speed, you can see he knows the angles, and still has a short area burst to separate from a closing defender for more. 

Archived