Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

I'm happy with the signing, at worst he will have a game like Kelleys average type game of 15 carries for 40 yards. At best, he will make a difference and go for over 100 yards. APs ceiling is much higher than Kelley or Perine. As others have said, just moving up from bush league tier to middle of the league will suffice for this year. 

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

It seems many believe he will come in here and save the running game. I think it will still be mediocre at best.

I dont think we need that much of an improvement to “save” the run game. Its not like we need another 100 yds per game. Just 20-30 gets us to respectability; average-wise. Like @Morneblade said, its having a better ability to run in the red-zone and short yardage situations that’ll have the biggest impact; not just for the running game, but the offense as a whole. 

I hesitate to quote any one part or piece in this, but as we toil away the last 26? hours away in boredom, I found this at least somewhat worth reading. 

Perhaps Cardinals quarterbacks, not O-line, to blame for Adrian Peterson’s 2017 struggles

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/perhaps-cardinals-quarterbacks-not-o-line-blame-adrian-petersons-2017-struggles

I just read an RR article about his 5 Bold Predictions for Week 3 preseason game...the last bomb he laid out was that AP doesn't do crap.  Since that stupid article I'll come out and say that AP is going to come out and play like his life depended on it, right behind Trent. Trent will ball out for his bro, he already said so. There's no way AP runs behind TW and doesn't get some holes. Rigo is jealous.  

I don't think we need AP to be the league leading rusher. A healthy line like last season prior to the injury bug has a bigger impact. I believe Guice would've been huge. But I don't think even at this stage of his career AP is equivalent or less than Kelley or Perrine. Mixed reviews on Cards OL. Yes Johnson killed it behind that line. But even our mangled D crushed them last year. 

20 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

Ehhh. AP is a generational athlete. Look at all the others who have his rarity of size, speed, & agility. Lebron, Julius Peppers, MJ, Reggie White, Vernon Davis, Charles Woodson, Tony Gonzalez, Rod Woodson, Ricky Henderson, etc. They're drop off comes FAR later than other players. Again, I'm not talking about the 1% "Freak-ish" players who simply run fast or look ripped.

I'm talking the 1% of the 1%. The players that dominate EVERY measurable while also dominating their sport. 

Bo Jackson, Deion, etc. are also in this category but suffered career killing injuries. 

I also expect JJ Watt to join Peppers and Reggie White as elite well into their mid 30's, assuming his back issues dont resurface. 

Defensive backs and tight ends are good much later than running backs. As I had initially posted for every Frank Gore there are 20 players like LaDainian Thomlinson who by age 32 was a role player with the Jets.  

22 hours ago, Califan007 said:

How do you interpret "save the running game"?...It could mean "save the running game from abysmal failure and starting 8th string RBs like we did last year" lol...(and we literally played something like 9 different running backs last season). I've mostly read fans saying he could surprise and be a noticeable upgrade, not that they expect him to be.

Not only that, when I read these number this week, bad memories came back and nightmares happened again.

Our O-line was in shambles last year:

At one point they had 12 offensive linemen on their roster for starters and depth while they waited for players to get better.

In 2017, 12 offensive linemen played at least 140 snaps for the Redskins.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's healthy? That's great news. 

“Great” might be an overstatement, lol. But yeah, he is supposed to play next week.  

Realistically, barring injury, I think Kelley is virtually a lock at this point.  Which leaves a few likely outcomes:

1.  Perine (and Bibbs or Marshall) is kept and AP is cut. 

2.  AP (and Bibbs or Marshall) is kept and Perine is cut. 

3.  Bibbs and Marshall are kept, AP and Perine are cut (very doubtful). 

4.  Perine and AP are kept, Bibbs and Marshall are cut

5.  We keep 5 backs

None of those are ideal, IMO, but considering I think we need to keep a second 3rd down back, I believe we need to come to grips with the fact we’ll almost have to cut Perine or Peterson.  

I’d say there is a very slim chance Kelley is cut, but I don’t think Gruden will put enough stock in Perine’s 1 good run and his play in the 4th preseason game vs backups.    

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I seriously doubt we cut last year's draft pick this quickly for a bunch of udfa backs

I think most of would agree that Perine havent really shown us much.  There seems to be more exciting around the UDFA backs...

If UDFA backs did in fact outperform Perine in the eyes of Gruden... I think it would go VERY LONG way to establish the right culture if Gruden cuts Perine despite his draft pick status...  

if you are going to make an "example" of someone then I think cutting Perine would probably make least impact to the team to make a point to the team because probably the other guys are truely better than Perine anyways...

8 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Watching undisputed with Skip Bayless/Shannon Sharpe and Eric Dickerson on just said " At 57 i think i could beat out Rob Kelly & Samije for the starting job" In regards to Adrian Peterson being the starting RB

There's a clear line between funny and just mean! haha ?

2 hours ago, sjinhan said:

I think most of would agree that Perine havent really shown us much.  There seems to be more exciting around the UDFA backs...

If UDFA backs did in fact outperform Perine in the eyes of Gruden... I think it would go VERY LONG way to establish the right culture if Gruden cuts Perine despite his draft pick status...  

if you are going to make an "example" of someone then I think cutting Perine would probably make least impact to the team to make a point to the team because probably the other guys are truely better than Perine anyways...

The udfa make an impact on the board here like usual, but I doubt it matters in real life. 

Archived