Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think so.  I mean, sure you pick up tendencies, but they are something like 70% or more run on first down, and at least last year, you could tell the direction of the run because Ryan Grant would motion in tight, and they would run in that direction.  It was such a tell, even I, who has not played one day of football, not coached one day of football, and really knows very little about it could pick it up.

The Skins have crushed it with play action— I have to imagine there’s a direct connection between these numbers, you know. You must earn the ability to fake a defense out the other 30 percent of the time. 

Not necessarily saying it’s a right or wrong approach, but can understand the idea behind it, especially if you have an average to above average QB. You want to keep those kind of guys ahead of the chains as much as possible and create the big plays with use of play action. Cousins didn’t have the ability to consistently create big plays without play action (my opinion and true for most all QBs, including Smith). 

With that said, improvement is needed from run game on first down. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I noticed they were going with a 2 back set with Peterson,  Then, just read Keim's post about Peterson does better with 2 back sets and thinks there is a chance a fullback makes the roster.

Small sample size, but I like what I see of JP Holtz at the FB role. Maybe they surprise us by keeping him on as a FB/TE4. Could easily be better options out there, but he has the familiarity of scheme already though.

I now see this has been discussed; will see myself out. ? 

8 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Well Jay didn't hold back today in his presser, someone asked him when he knew AP would start in Friday's game and he said right after they watched him workout.

Fat Rob may very well be on his way out.  Sad, but that's the nature of professional sports. He just doesn't have what we need.

After watching the tape of Peterson’s performance, Redskins Coach Jay Gruden said he noted his new back’s vision, patience and acceleration. But the thing he liked most was the way Peterson clutched the ball tight against his body.

“Ball security is big for us,” Gruden said.

Peterson actually enjoyed watching the film, as well, something he didn’t think he would after the game, believing he hadn’t run as well as he wanted. He changed his mind Saturday when he noticed small mistakes that easily could be corrected.

“If I was a little more patient on the stretch play, then I could have gotten underneath, or maybe if the receiver had stayed on the block longer, then it would have been a 50-yard run instead of a 13-yard run,” he said, adding that he stressed to several players the importance of staying with plays until their end. “So it’s good to get those mistakes out of the way and clean it up.”

Gruden said Sunday that he wants to see Peterson in more situations than straight runs, to see how he moves on pitches and even a few passing routes.

Peterson, who said he has been “cramming” his new playbook, has been almost defiant in response to suggestions his body is too worn down for him to be effective anymore. When he arrived last week he said those who questioned him “don’t know football.” He was a little tamer Sunday but described “sitting on the couch at the house,” listening to people on television “giving their opinion.” He wondered why none of those unnamed people called him.

And if they had, what would he have said?

“Help this team win a championship and continue being the best player in the league,” he said, smiling.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/08/26/adrian-peterson-feels-strong-after-redskins-debut-i-could-have-had-another-15-carries/?utm_term=.71550ec29e54

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

Neither Rob or Perine play special teams correct?  Which one is more familiar with the playbook and better at blocking and pass protection?

I think Rob gets moved to FB and we shave off a player somewhere else.

If I had my way, I'd use a lot of 2 back sets in this PS game 4, with Kelley and Holtz getting looks as the FB. Also, in practices this week.

Make it a competition between the two. One of them is our new starting FB, the other is out on his butt. 

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

Neither Rob or Perine play special teams correct?  Which one is more familiar with the playbook and better at blocking and pass protection?

I think Rob gets moved to FB and we shave off a player somewhere else.

I would guess Perine is the one who ends up doing a lot at FB (he seems the better receiver too).  In any case, I don't think we carry a true FB but use the four spot on a RB/primary backup to AP as a FB and number four TE as both Perine and Kelly played FB (in college and last season).  Also, we did use Anderson several times as a FB last year and Payne did the FB thing at Alabama. This also could be an opportunity for Flanagan or Holtz for the final 53 or at least a sure PS birth. Before Wellman and Carter went down, I thought we might go with 3 RBs and a FB (since then we could have put a Carter on the PS) but, alas, that is not an option now.

5 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Fat Rob may very well be on his way out.  Sad, but that's the nature of professional sports. He just doesn't have what we need.

yeah he's going to get cut.  after AP workout and sing him for a few years I think they understand how much of a JAG he is. They've got AP who can give you everything Fat Rob or Fit Rob can and then Guice will be back next year.  I think he's gone. 

On 8/25/2018 at 9:14 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Just one more on Peterson.  On the Guice thread, I did some stills months back like this to show Kelley-Perine's lack of vision and missed opportunities.  

That's the biggest thing I noticed about AP over our guys. Vision. We've been complaining for 2 seasons about not finding holes, not cutting, not bursting to the line, etc. Peterson showed in one half of football the things we haven't been getting for 2-3 years. 

14 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I hope that having AP in the clubhouse will do wonders for Guice as he learns work ethic and the position from one of the best.

Could be a silver lining to his untimely knee injury and the signing of AP.

Rather have a healthy Guice AND have AD sharing carries this year, but yes, I like silver linings. :) 

Gore was older last year and handled 290 touches. Let AP build up a lather and let him go, see how he handles it. He's always been like Portis was in that he can kill teams in the 4th if you let him go and punish defenses. That's when he'll start breaking chunk plays. And hopefully he stays healthy. But wins in the beginning of the season are worth just as much on the schedule as wins later in the season, so if running him into the ground is necessary for a respectable ground game I wouldn't "save" him for a hopeful playoff run. We don't have a history of winning enough games to get cute. Do what you gotta do each week to win, and if he's spent by week 9 maybe Jamaal Charles is still out there to bring a spark. But a strong running game and W's early in the season are really good for the locker room and helps everybody, from the QB to the WR's and TE's to the defense who will be more fresh. 

I think AP will be fine though. He'll either get injured or lead the team in rushing by a massive amount, he's in that Gore class of agelessness and more of a freak. 

As long as Peterson starts, I am happy. I can tolerate Kelley as a backup, but it still says a lot to me that in his 3rd preseason with us, Kelley still got benched in 1 game by a washed up 33 year old RB who's been sitting in free agency all offseason. Guice HAD to have been the starter if Gruden was finally willing to pull the plug that fast.

6 hours ago, TheShredder said:

yeah he's going to get cut.  after AP workout and sing him for a few years I think they understand how much of a JAG he is. They've got AP who can give you everything Fat Rob or Fit Rob can and then Guice will be back next year.  I think he's gone. 

No, he's not.  Jay LOVES Fat Rob.  A lot more than he loves Perine.  He will start AP because he has to (and knows that he should) but there's no way he allows Rob Gruden cut while Perine is on the team.  

It's a dead, iron clad lock of the week.

I would cut Rob, and keep Perine.  I would have kept Marshall, but from what I hear he's hurt pretty bad...

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

As long as Peterson starts, I am happy. I can tolerate Kelley as a backup, but it still says a lot to me that in his 3rd preseason with us, Kelley still got benched in 1 game by a washed up 33 year old RB who's been sitting in free agency all offseason. Guice HAD to have been the starter if Gruden was finally willing to pull the plug that fast.

Kelley tries hard and lacks physical talent.  Gruden needs at least one of these guys on the roster in a contributing role.  Last year it was Ryan Grant, this year it's Kelley.  

Finally getting to my review of Redskins/ Broncos.... My favorite part of this game is how fast the other players on Offense rush over to help AP off the ground. When you lose a guy like @DhaSickest that oozes energy & confidence you have to replace that feeling... AP does that!

53 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No, he's not.  Jay LOVES Fat Rob.  A lot more than he loves Perine.  He will start AP because he has to (and knows that he should) but there's no way he allows Rob Gruden cut while Perine is on the team.  

It's a dead, iron clad lock of the week.

I would cut Rob, and keep Perine.  I would have kept Marshall, but from what I hear he's hurt pretty bad...

Kelley tries hard and lacks physical talent.  Gruden needs at least one of these guys on the roster in a contributing role.  Last year it was Ryan Grant, this year it's Kelley.  

I haven’t witnessed it this preseason but from what I understand Kelly does play some special teams, probably can play some fullback in a pinch also. Unless he gets hurt again he most likely will be on the roster. AD with Thompson could make a very good 1-2 punch.Peterson should help Alex a lot with his play action. 

Archived