Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

57 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Does AP have some sort of game bonus for 100 yard games, how is it that we continually leave him hanging at just under 100 yards.

Ha so true. He had 94 yards with 8 minutes left or something and ends up with 99

I would love to bring Peterson back next season assuming the price is right. We were lucky to get him on a one year prove it deal. So far he's proved he still has it. I'd start negotiating extension now to try and keep him around a bit longer on a relatively cheap deal as I don't see vet minimum being something that'll keep him with his kind of production. 

Are there any recent precedent contracts that could suggest what Peterson would cost to keep?  Frank Gore is the only guy coming to mind for me right now, but I think it's clear that Adrian is a better player at 33 than Frank Gore was two seasons ago.

This is a very unusual situation and I have no feel for what he'll cost to keep for next season.  Still a lot of season left to go too.

It's been a while since we've had a Hall of Famer on the team who still had anything left in the tank.  It's pretty cool to watch one doing his thing once again.

58 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, that dead 2nd and 14, he turned into 16 yards and a first down.  Phewwweeee.

I want to see an AP comp of all his runs yesterday, including the bogus Sprinkle hold.  I am not an OL guru but he seems to be making something out of nothing a lot more often that I am used to seeing in Jay's gap power zone man blocking scheme.

He seems to accelerate very well after his cuts, a fast first step of sorts. He bursts up field through the holes he finds creates, and sure seems to be able to turn the corner still. I loved that one CowDB that tried to tackle him around the neck. It was gif worthy, as AP basically helicoptered him out of the play - man vs boy on full display.   Let's see those break tackle stats. I think AP dominated in that regard yesterday, and likely has all season.

Why doesn't the NFL track broken tackles? - it's so easy IMO. Next gen stats.... longest run for tackle - BFD

THINGS WE KNOW AFTER WEEK 7

Adrian Peterson is a force of nature.

Adrian Peterson is the offensive centerpiece of a 4-2 team in the year 2018. This is getting surprisingly little attention, considering the 33-year-old Peterson's pedigree, but this is hardly a case of an aging back piling up yardage because of volume. He's fifth in the NFL in forcing missed tackles, according to Pro Football Focus, bounding up, down and through defenders each week like a man thrilled to do what he was born to do.

In an NFC East matchup straight out of 1988, it was Peterson's Redskins -- and not Ezekiel Elliott's Cowboys -- who controlled the game on the ground. (Give the Redskins' defensive line and their immortal coach, Jim Tomsula, a lot of credit for that.) In a season with returns to health of so many NFL superstars like J.J. Watt and Carson Wentz, Peterson should not be overlooked as a candidate for Comeback Player of the Year. Again.

NFL.com

On 10/22/2018 at 10:02 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Are there any recent precedent contracts that could suggest what Peterson would cost to keep?  Frank Gore is the only guy coming to mind for me right now, but I think it's clear that Adrian is a better player at 33 than Frank Gore was two seasons ago.

This is a very unusual situation and I have no feel for what he'll cost to keep for next season.  Still a lot of season left to go too.

It's been a while since we've had a Hall of Famer on the team who still had anything left in the tank.  It's pretty cool to watch one doing his thing once again.

Gore is likely the best example, I agree. if you go with his Colts contract, 3 years 12 million. I might go 2 years and 10 million, and I think that would be enough to keep him. I probably would not have a bunch of incentives either (I'm sure Bruce would, but hey, **** that guy!) because I just don't want him there to run, I want him as a example, a leader to our younger guys. Yeah, I hope that Guice comes back 100% and is great, and AP can be the guy that comes in and gives him a breather. But I would want AP to get his money, and let him know that it's not just what he does on the field that is important to the team. I really think it's his presence in the locker room that has helped turn this team around.

AP is going to want to start, it's what made him leave New Orleans last year. With the way he's putting himself on the map, some team is going to pay him for it. If he keeps it up for the rest of the year, he DOES deserve to start and I hope we do that next season. Guice can come in for the breathers and be our insurance. No Rob Kelley, Perine would be optional, maybe keep Bibbs as Thompson's insurance... Bottom line, do what it takes to keep Peterson, especially if it means he's the starter. You don't mess with something if it's working.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

AP is going to want to start, it's what made him leave New Orleans last year. With the way he's putting himself on the map, some team is going to pay him for it. If he keeps it up for the rest of the year, he DOES deserve to start and I hope we do that next season.

Thing is, next year could be the year when he starts playing like someone from this planet. He can't keep up this pace for much longer, especially if his body gets beat up a lot this year, playing full-time.

In a similar situation at the other RB position, when CT becomes healthy, I'm curious what happens to Bibbs, either this season, or next season.

If we let Bibbs go at some point, it's easy to see him finding work elsewhere in the NFL.

And as injury-prone as CT is, I think it's crucial to find a roster spot for Bibbs.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Thing is, next year could be the year when he starts playing like someone from this planet. He can't keep up this pace for much longer, especially if his body gets beat up a lot this year, playing full-time.

In a similar situation at the other RB position, when CT becomes healthy, I'm curious what happens to Bibbs, either this season, or next season.

If we let Bibbs go at some point, it's easy to see him finding work elsewhere in the NFL.

So what's your preference on what we do?  

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's multiple factors that go into that, and for most or all of those factors we won't have the necessary data until after the season ends.

lol, i'm not gonna hold you to it bud.. i asked the question :cheers:

RIGHT NOW... what do you think??  put on your GM hat and lets talk.  Sign AP and carry 4 RBs next year?  Guice / Peterson and CT / Bibbs?  There's a ton of factors, I GET IT, just a fun hypothetical.  

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

lol, i'm not gonna hold you to it bud.. i asked the question :cheers:

RIGHT NOW... what do you think??  put on your GM hat and lets talk.  Sign AP and carry 4 RBs next year?  Guice / Peterson and CT / Bibbs?  There's a ton of factors, I GET IT, just a fun hypothetical.  

Yeah?

Well, that's would I do if things keep going they way they are going.

First, when you are the Owner and/or GM, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose on contracts.  In the case of AP, that was a no-brainer win.  I posted before he showed up at Redskins park that if he actually gets in the building they won't let him leave.  Now, he's largely responsible for your 4-2 record with being the valid reason your offense has been able to scrape up enough points to win games.  For all intents and purposes, he's outplayed his contract already.  So, if you're realization is that you would like to keep a Veteran Player past his 1-yr contract, you can extend that contract (if I'm not mistaken that's a one time deal before the end of the current regular season).  Would it be smart to extend AP now?   Advantage would be you could give him a signing bonus that would be prorated for at least 2 seasons (if not 3), add bonus incentives for playing time and achievements, and solidify your RB position now.   AP isn't going to want to go anywhere else at this point and it appears to be a win-win scenario.  You could extend him cheaper now for sure.  Logically if the Skins win the East and AP plays all year, he's going to rush for over 1K.  He'll be in the MVP conversation and it would be just like the Eagles to throw their hat into negotiations to make the Skins pay more or take him away for another run at the crown.  I'd think that if he's rushing hard after 8 games, you extend him with incentives and check that box.  

11 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

First, when you are the Owner and/or GM, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose on contracts.  In the case of AP, that was a no-brainer win.  I posted before he showed up at Redskins park that if he actually gets in the building they won't let him leave.  Now, he's largely responsible for your 4-2 record with being the valid reason your offense has been able to scrape up enough points to win games.  For all intents and purposes, he's outplayed his contract already.  So, if you're realization is that you would like to keep a Veteran Player past his 1-yr contract, you can extend that contract (if I'm not mistaken that's a one time deal before the end of the current regular season).  Would it be smart to extend AP now?   Advantage would be you could give him a signing bonus that would be prorated for at least 2 seasons (if not 3), add bonus incentives for playing time and achievements, and solidify your RB position now.   AP isn't going to want to go anywhere else at this point and it appears to be a win-win scenario.  You could extend him cheaper now for sure.  Logically if the Skins win the East and AP plays all year, he's going to rush for over 1K.  He'll be in the MVP conversation and it would be just like the Eagles to throw their hat into negotiations to make the Skins pay more or take him away for another run at the crown.  I'd think that if he's rushing hard after 8 games, you extend him with incentives and check that box.  

....which is exactly why this FO won't do it!!

Archived