Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

3 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

The NFL will not suspend AP for this. My question though is why did John Keim make this a story tonight? He is one of the DC media members that gets so worked up when they are called out for reporting the team in the negative way. This is a shady article to put out tonight knowing that this team could possibly start to tailspin starting tomorrow. 

They suspended him before, they can certainly do it again.  If this story takes off and gains traction, the NFL will have to do something, they can't ignore it, especially when they're coming off of Ray Rice, AP's 1st incident, and other issues.  They can't take a stand on this 4 years ago and then not take a stand now.  I would imagine that AP is going to draw interest and investigations from child protective services and other agencies after these comments came out today.  And if he's drawing attention from these agencies for a second offense, the NFL can't just turn a blind eye to it.

But Keim didn't break this story, it was on Bleacher Report.  Keim is the Skins based beat reporter for ESPN.  He's around the Skins pretty much all day, every day.   Draft, OTAs, Training Camp, preseason, practices, regular season, he's there.  It's his job to cover anything/everything Skins related.  So if a player goes down with a hamstring, or if a player is released, or someone is signed, he's the guy that you might hear it from first.  He also writes some opinion columns and answers mailbag questions.  Occasionally he gives his opinion on things, but you won't see him go hard at the Skins because that's not his function.

He is good at what he does and he's a good guy.  He works hard, he's good with the players and he's been at it for a long time.  And having been around him  I think, deep down, he roots for them, but he can't outwardly show it because he's not supposed to.  He's there, as I said, to report the facts and give light opinions.   Keim, being a beat reporter and covering anything that happens with this team, HAS to write about the revelations today.  He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't.  

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

well....i'm already getting in the mindset that the league will **** us over and suspend him the rest of the year, because **** us, right? and we'll have to rely on.....perine? or bibs/marshall as our RBs the rest of the season. 

hopefully the league does nothing with this information. ughh why did Peterson even feel the need to publicly admit that? WHY? 

The league isn't out to **** us over, let's not pretend that it's not warranted.   But yeah, this could come to a screeching halt here.

I’d be shocked if anything comes of this either from a suspension or media coverage. It will be a fringe topic for a few days and then go away. Remember his suspension stemmed from an actual court proceeding— he was charged (and pled no contest) to misdemeanor reckless assault. It was an actual court matter at the time. Him saying in an interview he still spanks his children isn’t anywhere close to the same thing. 

staff edit---off topic

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The league isn't out to **** us over, let's not pretend that it's not warranted.   But yeah, this could come to a screeching halt here.

I think That BS cap penalty (and not to mention that bogus refereeing against the team Sunday) says otherwise. Yes a suspension to AP would no doubt be warranted, i am not denying that at all. I’m saying the league would love nothing more than to see this team fail to make the playoffs (AP getting suspended would just end up being a cause of that). 

6 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

The NFL will not suspend AP for this. My question though is why did John Keim make this a story tonight? He is one of the DC media members that gets so worked up when they are called out for reporting the team in the negative way. This is a shady article to put out tonight knowing that this team could possibly start to tailspin starting tomorrow. 

As @Spaceman Spiff said it was a story published by Bleacher's Report. And you can read it in BHRBN. It was there before Keim did his article furthermore.

I wondered about publishing it, because well... Then I thought it would probably create chaos, so I decided it would be best to have it around so everyone can read the full article and know what they're talking about. (And so far only 9 people did read it).

So it's no big deal that Keim speaks about it, everyone is talking about it. NBC Sports, Washington Times, Washington Post, PFT... It's all over the place, so Keim might as well do an article about it or he wouldn't be doing his job correctly. Because, even if it's not really football related, it will fire back on the team somehow. Which makes it relevant regarding Redskins football business.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think That BS cap penalty (and not to mention that bogus refereeing against the team Sunday) says otherwise. Yes a suspension to AP would no doubt be warranted, i am not denying that at all. I’m saying the league would love nothing more than to see this team fail to make the playoffs (AP getting suspended would just end up being a cause of that). 

Okay let me get this straight.  Now you said not to mention the "bogus" refereeing against this team Sunday says otherwise because you were alluding to the league would love to see us fail to make the playoffs.

We actually benefited from bogus calls that went in our favor a couple times this year.  Do you think those particular refs who's bogus calls benefited us missed the "we are instructed to only screw over the Redskins" meeting this year?  Help me to understand.

2 hours ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Okay let me get this straight.  Now you said not to mention the "bogus" refereeing against this team Sunday says otherwise because you were alluding to the league would love to see us fail to make the playoffs.

We actually benefited from bogus calls that went in our favor a couple times this year.  Do you think those particular refs who's bogus calls benefited us missed the "we are instructed to only screw over the Redskins" meeting this year?  Help me to understand.

Yep I agree with this...I can not think of a year where the refs have..how do I say.. been on our side?..favored us...we got lucky as **** against the oilers with that turn over that should have been an incomplete pass...when we nearly killed Dak next to the sideline...there have been several calls that have helped us out....buuuuuut on the other hand I agree with cooleyfan that the leauge is gonna try to **** us over royally and ruin what we got goin this year..ohh I can just see mara right now licking his chops..AP will use this fuel to explode on the field against dallass today..

I don't agree with his view of child rearing, I'll start with that but geez what a dolt for talking about all of that to a reporter.  I recall reading that the commissioner's beef with Adrian was he wasn't contrite about what happened years back.  Here he doubles down on that in a big way.  I get people wanting to take a stand on something that goes against the grain -- but on this issue?   

For a guy who is so determined to be the best and claimed he is so hurt about his suspension -- its beyond strange that he'd voluntarily risk all of that all over again.

I've said it before. Athletes are easy targets for journalists (or so-called journalists). They already know what they want to write, and they're just trying to lead you into informing that perspective, that narrative. Peterson is football smart, but gullible when it comes to dealing with the media. He talked to that guy about weight lifting, how focused he was on rehab, how much he enjoyed playing with the Skins and how grateful he was for another chance. The theme of the article should've been "Washington Offers Peterson a Real Reason to Give Thanks", and that's what the whole damn conversation was about, and how AP approached that exchange with Tesfatsion. But no, Tesfatsion wanted to run to his editors with a piece that he hopes will help get him elevated to another media outlet. Speaking of thanks, he should be thankful that AP gave him all of that positive sports-focused material to write when he was a very young scribe, covering the Vikings for the Star Tribune. Man, I hate reporters like this.

And no, I'm not defending the AP Theory on Child Discipline. I don't discipline my kids that way. I'm speaking here about journalistic integrity.

staff esit---off topic

This does not bode well for our mission.  I  wonder if the team preemptively does something about it, or hopes the story blows over. The main stream media this morning may decide his fate.  Colt should be the big story. And the Trubinsky injury will divert the angry masses somewhat but I am not optimistic.

• Jumbo locked this topic

Good morning Vietnam and Happy Thanksgiving. :)

I see some of you turkeys decided to start the day out by giving mods some work to do by breaking rules you know have been in palce forever, because, well, that's just how you gobblers roll. :P (re: the story on AP using the belt on his kid) 

BREAKING NEWS: we don't do sociopolitical or religious discussion in the stadium. :)

So, using one's brain, one can obviously speculate on and discuss what this may or may mean to the team's future at face value, but one may not debate the sociopolitical aspects of the story in the stadium. Duh.

I'm leaving this closed for a bit, so people can "catch up to getting it" and so those who need to can edit what parts they need to edit, and i'll re-open it soon.

• Jumbo unlocked this topic

That dude who wrote this briefly covered the team for the Post. It reads more like a history of Peterson, with the focus on what has happened because of, and since, the original incident that got him in trouble. It wraps up with the very brief mention of the part everyone is focusing on. Like an open ended thing meant to maybe encourage discussion on "corporal punishment" (NOT HERE,  of course). It's just an odd article, with a sort of-Ah ha-gotcha ending. I can see why he's writing for Bleacher Report now.

• 2 weeks later...

As they enter the season's final five games, starting Monday night at Philadelphia (8:15 p.m. ET, ESPN), the question becomes: Can Peterson deliver? And does his future in Washington extend beyond this season? The second answer probably depends on how he responds to the first. But Peterson did say “yeah” three times when recently asked if he’d want to return. The organization has had talks about a possible return, too.

...If the price is right, there’s a possibility Washington could sign Peterson and keep him around through August to see what both he and Guice can do. Guice was unavailable for an interview, but others say it would help the young back. Peterson returned from a torn ACL and ran for 2,097 yards in 2012.

“Any time you can learn from one of the best that’s ever done it, it’s always beneficial for a young guy to see how he works and prepares and sees the game, his competitive level,” Jordan said. “[But] you’re talking about the growth and potential of Derrius. Are you slowing his growth down? I [went] back and looked at tape on him [from camp]. He’s going to be really good. The biggest thing is he can learn from [Peterson], but you have to ask yourself, where he’s at in his rehab? How is he going to come back?

“I wouldn’t feel too bad if they said, ‘Coach, we’re carrying [No.] 26 and Derrius.’ I’ll be like, ‘OK.’ You wouldn’t hear me saying, ‘What are we doing?’"

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/37783/adrian-peterson-eyes-strong-finish-longer-future-in-washington

AP seems to be our best deep threat, he can take it to the house but none of our WR's can.

A 60 & 90 yard TD at 33 yrs old is nuts, I don't know what his mph was on that 90 yarder but nobody was even close to catching him, looked like he was running away from everyone.

Adrian Peterson is the type of player this team needs to strive for when drafting guys. I know he is exceptionally unique and they don't just grow on trees but there is absolutely no reason we can't find guys with half his speed, toughness, and ability. How do you look at Matt Jones, Rob Kelly, Samaje Perine and think they are RB caliber when you can clearly see what elite talent does on this level. You want to be elite then draft elite. No more Preston Smiths and Mason Fosters of the world.

6 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

For him or any RB this year?

It's his fastest speed, which is not so surprising.

What IS surprising is that VD had a higher one at 21.44 on his 53 yd TD, and he was one of the guys trailing APAD. So he maybe he could have caught up and knocked off any would-be tacklers. However, maybe VD was so confident that no Eagle would catch APAD, that he didn't bother flooring it :)

7 minutes ago, dyst said:

Adrian Peterson is the type of player this team needs to strive for when drafting guys.

I would like to see APAD and VD become head of our training program when they retire.

Not only do they both hold incredible anti-aging secrets for staying in shape and super soft, supple skin, but maybe also those secrets could translate into reducing our mountainous injuries.

Archived