Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

On 10/22/2018 at 9:36 AM, JSSkinz said:

Does AP have some sort of game bonus for 100 yard games, how is it that we continually leave him hanging at just under 100 yards.

No.  He has a vet min. deal without incentives.  Only thing guaranteed is his annual salary for injury.  

They really should extend him now.  Frank Gore got a 3yr/12M deal at this stage in his career.  It was 6.5M guaranteed and well worth it.  You can extend AP before the end of the season and count this year as the first year.  Essentially you'd be rewarding him with an earned raise and lock him in for another year and could cut him in yr 3 without any dead cap if Guice took over and you had no realistic need to keep AP at that point.  I think it's smart to do that in the case where his value would be more than 5M next year.  It's about cap space savings to lock him in for next year or two.  It's not worth it if his market value is less than 5M.  If he's a top 10 RB then the market calls for 5M+ per year.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/running-back/

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

lol, i'm not gonna hold you to it bud.. i asked the question :cheers:

RIGHT NOW... what do you think??  put on your GM hat and lets talk.  Sign AP and carry 4 RBs next year?  Guice / Peterson and CT / Bibbs?  There's a ton of factors, I GET IT, just a fun hypothetical.  

Yea if the decision had to be made today, it would be the same for me Guice, AP, CT, Bibbs, plus 1 or 2 guys on the PS.

I know it hasn't been conventional to keep a backup to a 3rd down back, but in our case, you have to make an exception.

IF, HUGE IF AP can hold up the entire season it would be incredible and we would make the playoffs, hands down.  How far we go is a whole other story.  He's been incredible thus far though.  I didn't think he had that much left in his tank.  

I loved the Baldinger home movies of AP. Obviously AP has been a beast and its great to see a nice comp of his game day runs, in slow motion is great as well.  Keeping him fresh is a priority, and I think it starts with the odd series off, and also our passing game has to get up to snuff. Like running AP into a brick wall late in the game.... maybe Jay should go play action next time. They had 3 timeouts anyways. I hate calling plays sacrificing a chance of a dagger to make sure they use a timeout.  Dare I think Dallas was RIPE for play action there, and again, I think AP could stand to benefit with less of what are basically predictable full back dives late in games.

Adrian Peterson's impact extends beyond numbers for Redskins

....The quick-footed Thompson has developed into a patient runner. Now Thompson, who constantly analyzes his own game, wonders if he's sometimes too patient after watching Peterson.

“He’s seeing everything so quick that he’s able to play super fast, and as a group we can learn from that,” Thompson said. “There are certain runs where I take my time or I’m real under control, whereas he’ll do something full speed and he’s hitting holes quicker, and I’m taking my time and getting caught.”

Redskins running backs coach Randy Jordan said Peterson brought “street cred” to Washington because of his résumé. He’s now 26 yards from passing Tony Dorsett to become the NFL’s ninth all-time leading rusher. Peterson understands what he can offer.

“It all comes with the territory,” said Peterson, 33. “You have a guy who has accomplished some great things so far in this league, and to see him running extra gassers or in the weight room lifting or practicing 100 miles an hour, it could be motivating. It would be for me if I was on the other side.”

It’s not as if the other backs didn’t already work hard. There’s a reason Thompson has become one of the NFL’s best third-down backs. But Peterson is on a different level. He’s genetically blessed, but his approach maximizes whatever he sees as his gifts.

“The biggest thing is … attention to detail in terms of footwork, his tracks, wanting to know the why,” Jordan said. “Young guys want to memorize a play, but they don’t want to know the why yet. ‘Why this running play? Why the footwork that way?’ [Peterson is] asking that, ‘OK, if we change our track, maybe that gives us a better angle in the run play.’ Those are things you don’t think as a young back.”

The Redskins hope it helps rookie Derrius Guice, too, as he recovers from knee surgery. Guice has been in Louisiana for a couple of weeks, but he had been in meetings previously and will be again when he returns. When he’s around, he’ll see Peterson get corrected in practice just like the other backs -- about his balance or hand placement in a blocking drill.

“That’s the thing: He’s always been one wanting to get coached,” Jordan said. “He says, ‘Coach, I still want to get coached.’”

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/37456/adrian-petersons-impact-extends-beyond-numbers-for-redskins

Peterson’s been absolutely outstanding.  Really hope he can heal up from his injuries rather than them lingering.  He’s doing an admirable job of fighting through them, but 1) it’s a long season, 2) I’m not sure we can win without him, and 3) I worry they could worsen or even result in new injuries.  

28 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I will admit it I was skeptical. 

Doug Williams is our #2 MVP for saying F Allen, and bringing in our true MVP for a workout.

I wish Doug would continue to do that. 

When it happens the other way around, we end up with Alex Smith and without our slot corner and a 3rd rounder...

10 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

When it happens the other way around, we end up with Alex Smith and without our slot corner and a 3rd rounder...

Thought it was mostly Schaeffer's call? And I really don't think it was an F you to his boss. I think it was more his boss/Snyder would have preferred to be aware of a higher profile player like AP coming into town, especially with his incident a few years back. And there's nothing wrong with that IMO. I have a tough time envisioning Schaffer/Doug were giving the middle finger to their higher ups, and more didn't realize that a guy with his pedigree coming into the building should have made them aware. I don't think Doug let's that slip if he was actually in big big trouble...

Yep @HardcoreZornSchaffer pushed for it but it was still Doug that didn't give Bruce nor Dan a chance to squash it:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/09/27/doug-williams-says-adrian-petersons-redskins-visit-caught-daniel-snyder-bruce-allen-off-guard/?utm_term=.1b2797286a97

We don't know the leeway granted to Doug - like can he bring in anyone he wants and doesn't have to clear it. My gut feeling was that it was probably never discussed, he just did it on his own after the Alex Smith Experience. Which would be a big fat F U IMO. 

We are talking the biggest names coming into the park .... this all just reeks of a very odd structure we have, and poor communication - at best.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

We don't know the leeway granted to Doug - like can he bring in anyone he wants and doesn't have to clear it. My gut feeling was that it was probably never discussed, he just did it on his own after the Alex Smith Experience. Which would be a big fat F U IMO. 

And so far this season, whose gut feeling has been shown to be the right one ... Bruce or Doug? 

Just sayin'... ;)

On 10/23/2018 at 4:10 PM, OVCChairman said:

lol, i'm not gonna hold you to it bud.. i asked the question :cheers:

RIGHT NOW... what do you think??  put on your GM hat and lets talk.  Sign AP and carry 4 RBs next year?  Guice / Peterson and CT / Bibbs?  There's a ton of factors, I GET IT, just a fun hypothetical.  

Hey, ya know who I forgot about in my earlier response to this, is Byron Marshall.

Him and Bibbs will have a go at it probably.

Marshall is technically or theoretically supposed to be better, but it's gonna be hard to pass over a guy like Bibbs who actually has decent film on him from the regular season, both 2017 and 2018.

18 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Kendall Fuller is allowing 9 yards per target when he is the nearest defender, 10th most among cornerbacks who have been targeted at least 30 times. The Chiefs will need his contributions as they are being attacked deep. Opponents have a 9.5 air yards per target average against the Chiefs, the fourth-highest average in the NFL. ??‍♂️

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hey, ya know who I forgot about in my earlier response to this, is Byron Marshall.

Marshall is technically or theoretically supposed to be better, but it's gonna be hard to pass over a guy like Bibbs who actually has decent film on him from the regular season, both 2017 and 2018.

he definitely will be a factor... all reports about him were that he was even a better pass catching RB than Thompson, just didnt have the explosion.  It's a good problem to have, having multiple players at a position that you're confident in their abilities as depth.  I don't think any of us want to ride a whole season with Perine / Bibbs / Marshall, but to have them as a spell for a top tier guy like Peterson or (we hope) Guice... it's refreshing.  

Who is AP's handcuff?   Fantastical minds want to know.  It's Bibbs, Perine, Brown or Kelly.  I know there probably isn't an official one, so what is your best guess. 

We know it's not CT, who is so prolific in our offense, he warrants his own.  Bibbs or Marshall is his. 

Cool little interview... at the end AP doesn't close the door on staying here.  It's a bit of a reach if you listen, but Dan Patrick asks him where he is in 3 years, and AP said "in this same room, giving an interview,"  Then to close the interview Dan says "we'll talk to you in 3 years when you're 36 and still playing for the Redskins" and AP responds with a laugh and "alright, hopefully we'll talk before then.. "

I'm not dense enough to think he'll be here in 3 years, but he seems happy... which is good.  Not hearing any complaints about playing time / style, he's just playing football and he sounds like he's genuinely happy to be a member of this team.  

On 10/24/2018 at 7:47 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Marshall played both WR and RB at Oregon, so that might be why people think he has an edge. In theory he should be a better route runner. He's also pretty big. But I agree, Bibbs has more tape, and it's been pretty good.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:16 AM, -JB- said:

According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Kendall Fuller is allowing 9 yards per target when he is the nearest defender, 10th most among cornerbacks who have been targeted at least 30 times. The Chiefs will need his contributions as they are being attacked deep. Opponents have a 9.5 air yards per target average against the Chiefs, the fourth-highest average in the NFL. ??‍♂️

The Chiefs ****ed up, they moved him to the outside.

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

The Chiefs ****ed up, they moved him to the outside.

They have Scandrick in the slot, don't they ? Interesting, I hear he's actually doing very well, at least according to some stats.

As for Fuller, you're probably right that it's the result of him moving outside. But part of me wants to believe it's at least partly due to him not having Mr Gray around.

Was that move to outside based on need/desperation or based on a choice of scheme ?

42 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

They have Scandrick in the slot, don't they ? Interesting, I hear he's actually doing very well, at least according to some stats.

As for Fuller, you're probably right that it's the result of him moving outside. But part of me wants to believe it's at least partly due to him not having Mr Gray around.

Was that move to outside based on need/desperation or based on a choice of scheme ?

I have no idea why they moved him outside. My guess, wild guess, is that they assumed his top-rated slot skills would transition seamlessly to the outside as that position is much more valuable. They let Peters go and were extremely thin in the secondary. Fuller was excellent in the slot, but that isn't where #1 WRs play. Sure there's Thielen, Edelman, and Emmanuel Sanders, but it's not where the top talent lines up. I don't know if he just can't cut it out there against the best or it's just that he hasn't adjusted to the learning curve and new scheme, but he certainly isn't the shutdown DB that we had.

There's no doubt in my mind that Torian knew exactly what he was doing with Fuller; he recognized his skillset and molded him / played him accordingly.

Archived