Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox6: Trump Remarks At Foxconn Groundbreaking

Veryoldschool

10 hours ago, Springfield said:

I miss the old board where it would show everyone’s age on every single post.  That way I could prejudge a person based on age at every chance.

Interesting comment even if you were just going for snark...........

Locally, anecdotally for sure, but some of the most disinterested uninvolved people I know are under 30 while a lot of those "children of the 50s" (like me) and even some from the 40s are pretty fired up, scrambling to untangle current events, attending/supporting rallies, haranguing others about registration, etc.

Yeah, a big chunk of the demographic is like VOS, just morally exhausted and looking for any panacea to salve their troubled souls, but he doesn't even remotely begin to speak for all of it.

age·ism
ˈājˌizəm/
noun
  1. prejudice or discrimination on the basis of a person's age.

Just as hateful and wrong as those other “isms” liberals throw around everyday and yet another example of the willingness of that group to trample on their own principles if needed to bash people who disagree with their political views..  Frankly, the hypocrisy of liberals Is breathtaking and such an irony when you consider their view of themselves.

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

He's a child of the 50's.

He wants a return to the 50's.

When men ruled. Woman stayed at home.

In the south, they were separation of whites and blacks.  Whites ruled.

Immigration, if it occurred was limited.Not many non-whites allowed.

he expects a return to the 50's. 

9eoCBTW.jpg

I am not a big fan of the deal, because I believe the cost is to high. I didn't care for how the land was acquired, some of the land was new housing and sub-divisions that Mount Pleasant deemed blighted. I don't care for the the amount of water that the plant is going to require. Racine has a great beach (though the water is really cold) and the drinking water is pretty damn good. Though Foxconn recently said they would build their own water treatment facility as well.

A new hospital is being built, the Mount Pleasant/Racine area currently has 1. Many bicycle paths and lanes are being put in place, as a cyclist, this is good. There is new construction going up all over the place, so there are those jobs as a result. The value of my property has risen, which I am now thinking about selling (and moving out of the area).

As a resident (within 5 miles to where the plant is going) I am skeptical that its going to deliver as promised.

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

The idea of plentiful ‘blue collar’ manufacturing jobs coming back is a pipe dream. The manufacturing capacity might well come back - but that will be driven by technology making production more efficient to the extent there is no need to offshore. But that efficiency will be (and already is) at the expense of production jobs. Robots and automated processes replace humans.

The way I heard it put, that really resonated with me, was:  

Decades ago, some corporation closed the factory where 300 (union) workers used to build TVs.  And built a factory in China where the TVs were built by 30 people supervising 300 robots.  

Well, maybe that company might decide to come back to the US.  But, if they do, they aren't going to build a factory that employs 300 union workers.  They're going to build a factory where 10 workers supervise 300 robots.  

1 hour ago, B&G said:
age·ism
ˈājˌizəm/
noun

Just as hateful and wrong as those other “isms” liberals throw around everyday and yet another example of the willingness of that group tp trample on their own principles if needed to bash people who disagree with their political views..  Frankly, the hypocrisy of liberals Is breathtaking and such an irony when you consider their view of themselves.

The irony here is so thick you couldn't cut it with a chainsaw...............

10 hours ago, twa said:

As far as automation.....I'm still waiting on that flying car they promised 40yrs ago.

totally off topic..   i remember seeing a segment on 60 Minutes.. maybe 20 years ago now.. NASA has developed how the airways wold work, basically laid out roads in the air and how to control the traffic.

Looked very cool.

But i  think the most likely reason so far is that people won't do it right and fall out of the sky like rocks on the regular.

Note on automation.. while conservatives are busy screaming that demands of a higher wage have forced McDonalds to go to automated order systems..  here in Southern MD we are getting ready for the grand opening of a new Nissan dealership,, that is 100% digitally sold. Kiosks instead of salespeople.Sit down at a screen and make choices.

So it isn't the wage demands..  it's progress as it always is.

Also i ate in a McDs that had an ordering kiosk. I have no way of knowing if it is accurate, but to my eye, they weren't light on the employees. Still looked like a full crew.

~Bang

8 minutes ago, Bang said:

But i  think the most likely reason so far is that people won't do it right and fall out of the sky like rocks on the regular.

Most people can't ****ing drive in 2 dimensions.  3 dimensions would be a complete ****show.  

15 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

PleaseBiltz, I guess you didn't comprehend, the company is going to manufacture in Wisconsin instead of importing to the US.  So Wisconsin workers are going to be bringing home paychecks and supporting American families.

Is Wisconsin close enough for you to get to Minnesota for all of Kirk's home games? #SKOL

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Also i ate in a McDs that had an ordering kiosk. I have no way of knowing if it is accurate, but to my eye, they weren't light on the employees. Still looked like a full crew.

~Bang

The Paneras in Northern VA now have ordering kiosks...maybe 5-6. But I was struck by the same thing you noticed...there were still 2 people working registers/taking orders (which made sense) and about 78 people either preparing or checking orders (most of whom were just standing there talking). I don't really care, but it seems to defeat the purpose of the technology if you're just going to pay the high school kids to show up and be there. 

This Foxconn deal reminds me of when we're getting close to trial on a case and we know we're gonna get our ass kicked as trial because it's a **** case so we agree to some deal that isn't that great but is better than the alternatives just to get something done.

Like what?  25 years to break even on investment?

I hope it all works out for the 13000 people who will get jobs but my gosh, that is just a disappointingly slow rate of return, and of course that seems to be if everything goes as planned.

22 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I hope it all works out for the 13000 people who will get jobs but my gosh, that is just a disappointingly slow rate of return, and of course that seems to be if everything goes as planned.

To start with, the 13,000 number is a "maybe, some day" number.  The company actually says they intend to employ 300.  (And, as somebody already posted, has a history of making lots of claims about what a big investment they're going to make, when they're negotiating a deal, and then actually investing a fraction of that.)  But says that the number might get as high as 13,000, eventually.  

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

To start with, the 13,000 number is a "maybe, some day" number.  The company actually says they intend to employ 300.  (And, as somebody already posted, has a history of making lots of claims about what a big investment they're going to make, when they're negotiating a deal, and then actually investing a fraction of that.)  But says that the number might get as high as 13,000, eventually.  

Damn it Larry I'm trying to be optimistic and compromising over here.

I know.  Hindsight from other deals like this suggest we should have the foresight to know better, but hope springs eternal (and then gets brutally crushed).

The 13,000 number does not include the construction jobs created for the facility, housing and for expand I-94 and other roads going to the complex, the additional police and fire positions that will be needed, new medical facilities and other possible restaurant, retail, hotel and other. I believe I read that number to be an additional 20,000 jobs, but I can't find that source and understand that those numbers get inflated to sell the goods. Also, the incentive package partially based on Foxconn hitting certain hiring/wage goals or they either have to pay back or payment is withheld.

I dislike this deal just as I have with public money being used for Miller Park (Brewers) that I am still paying for and the new Bucks Arena.

16 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I am happy for future Foxconn workers, but one plant is hardly proof of a vast economic revival.

If Foxconn work and pay in US is anything like Foxconn work and pay in China, this is what VeryOldMan was grateful for? 

16 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

He's a child of the 50's.

He wants a return to the 50's.

When men ruled. Woman stayed at home.

In the south, they were separation of whites and blacks.  Whites ruled.

Immigration, if it occurred was limited.Not many non-whites allowed.

Some economic historian can answer this, but I asked before; Wasn't America's growth in the 50's an aberration? Most of Europe and Asia were rebuilding from WW2; so we basically weren't challenged economically.

he expects a return to the 50's. 

plus we got a boost from a young, returning work force as well as supplying the rest of the world that was devastated by war. His parents made great sacrifices and he got to live off the largesse without realizing it and thought it was all his doing. 

28 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

They could just give $300,000 to 15,000 Wisconsites and call it even.

But then where would the charade, the bright shiny obect be?

8 hours ago, B&G said:
  1.  hypocrisy of liberals Is breathtaking and such an irony

Hypocrisy and irony.

Kind of like telling your base you're a champion of the free market while doling out corporate welfare to foreign companies?

Or campaigning on being the party of "family/Christian values" yet ripping children away from their parents for months on end? What about Evangelicals throwing their support behind a blatant racist who cheats on his wife at every opportunity?

How about pretending you're the "law and order" party while your parties President ****s all over the FBI/DOJ and tries to undermine a federal investigation that's looking into his own malfeasance?  Oh yeah, your party openly supports despots and dictators, including the one who undermined our election system (because it helped Trump win.)

The party of fiscal responsibility and small government? How does giving a tax windfall to rich corporates and ballooning the deficit (again) fall into that ideology?

If you want to talk about irony and hypocrisy, there's a few places you could start that are perhaps more important than a few of us ribbing an older member who's merit-less arguments get shot down on here.

10 hours ago, B&G said:
age·ism
ˈājˌizəm/
noun

Just as hateful and wrong as those other “isms” liberals throw around everyday and yet another example of the willingness of that group to trample on their own principles if needed to bash people who disagree with their political views..  Frankly, the hypocrisy of liberals Is breathtaking and such an irony when you consider their view of themselves.

I dont hate old people. I hate old people that use the internet to look up things like ageism. 

Archived