Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox6: Trump Remarks At Foxconn Groundbreaking

Veryoldschool

where do you get the company will not pay taxes or utilities?

Employees are taxpayers as well.

Even if you ignore the taxes they will pay you still have the taxes from a 10 B dollar construction project and what goes with it

you sound like the food stamps are stimulus crowd.

2 minutes ago, twa said:

where do you get the company will not pay taxes or utilities?

Employees are taxpayers as well.

Even if you ignore the taxes they will pay you still have the taxes from a 10 B dollar construction project and what goes with it

you sound like the food stamps are stimulus crowd.

No one is ignoring the taxes they will pay.  Did you read the article at all?  

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

No one is ignoring the taxes they will pay.  Did you read the article at all?  

yes , did you understand it?

here,have some sunshine blown up ya butt

https://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/election-matters/by-the-numbers-economic-impact-study-of-wisconsin-s-foxconn/article_fd87d3df-32c1-5be1-84da-e0afdd6a28ef.html

take what you read at face value?

Some more info.

http://m.startribune.com/foxconn-s-economic-impact-study-fails-to-show-the-math/438608093/

In addition to public spending for infrastructure, the state agreed that Foxconn will be eligible for tax credits of up to $2.85 billion based on employment and capital spending, spread over 15 years, and also will get out of paying some sales taxes.

This deal is roughly 50 times bigger than the next biggest taxpayer-subsidized economic-development deal for a manufacturer in Wisconsin history. The state usually provides 7 cents in tax credits for every $1 paid to workers. In this deal, Foxconn would get 17 cents in credits.

These tax credits are “refundable,” too, which means the company doesn’t need a Wisconsin tax liability to still get a tax credit. It will simply get a big check. That means Wisconsin taxpayers will basically be paying 17 percent of the payroll.

For economists like Timothy Bartik of the W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research in Michigan, one big unanswered question is what other beneficial use the state could put $200 million a year to, rather than mailing it to the home office of a global electronics manufacturer.

The state might miss out on the economic benefits of having that $200 million go into K-12 education. Or maybe the Foxconn subsidies get funded by higher individual income taxes, costing the state the economic impact of money that won’t be spent on home improvements, new cars or other household items.

2 hours ago, B&G said:

Springfield, Chrysler is a Italian Company and Toyota a Japanese company.  I don’t understand your comment.  Enlighten me?

FCA recently announced their latest 5 year plan.

They will focus mainly on Jeep, Ram, Alfa Romeo and Maserati.

They won't give anymore attention to Fiat than they already do.  Chrysler is down to 2 vehicles, the Pacifica minivan and the 300.  Dodge is just the Charger and Challenger. 

The Fiat- Chrysler part of FCA is barely an auto company.  There aren't going to be many jobs there.

1 hour ago, twa said:

I don't like that there are upfront costs incurred but no guarantees.  If the government is going to spend money, as opposed to simply agreeing to take less, then I'd like to see some guarantees with clearly spelled out penalties.

16 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

These tax credits are “refundable,” too, which means the company doesn’t need a Wisconsin tax liability to still get a tax credit. It will simply get a big check. That means Wisconsin taxpayers will basically be paying 17 percent of the payroll.

http://m.startribune.com/foxconn-s-economic-impact-study-fails-to-show-the-math/438608093/

Ok now that's ugly. 

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

No no no. Many in your age group want the country to regress to what it used to be. I'm sorry to tell you that's not going to happen no matter how much people like you and your fearless leader want it to happen :)

He's a child of the 50's.

He wants a return to the 50's.

When men ruled. Woman stayed at home.

In the south, they were separation of whites and blacks.  Whites ruled.

Immigration, if it occurred was limited.Not many non-whites allowed.

Some economic historian can answer this, but I asked before; Wasn't America's growth in the 50's an aberration? Most of Europe and Asia were rebuilding from WW2; so we basically weren't challenged economically.

he expects a return to the 50's. 

21 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Some economic historian can answer this, but I asked before; Wasn't America's growth in the 50's an aberration? Most of Europe and Asia were rebuilding from WW2; so we basically weren't challenged economically.

Yes, people talk about the good ol days, we'd need another world war for that, we were already on our way to be a superpower anyway, but basically unchallenged economically for a while.  China didn't join the WTO until 2001, Germany was split in half for most of the cold war, other world powers learned from our mistakes, and we still walking around like we didn't make any.

36 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don't like that there are upfront costs incurred but no guarantees.  If the government is going to spend money, as opposed to simply agreeing to take less, then I'd like to see some guarantees with clearly spelled out penalties.

need to see the actual agreement, here we generally have stipulations and tiered credits ect.(I know they have them to some degree in this one)

these things require mutual trust to some degree and are a roll of the dice for both.(I prefer loaded dice)

besides purchasing the land I don't see much being spent w/o much more being spent by the company in advance.

22 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

he expects a return to the 50's. 

To the extent the 50’s of this day dream ever existed - they are not coming back. At least economically.

The idea of plentiful ‘blue collar’ manufacturing jobs coming back is a pipe dream. The manufacturing capacity might well come back - but that will be driven by technology making production more efficient to the extent there is no need to offshore. But that efficiency will be (and already is) at the expense of production jobs. Robots and automated processes replace humans.

Warehouse jobs are seeing the same thing - packing and picking carried out by robots. Call centres - same thing. Roughly a third of all call handling when it’s a voice on the other end of the phone that voice is not a human. White collar ‘middle class’ jobs are starting to be impacted - automated coding using machine learning, data processing and analysis (big data). The professions will soon be impacted as well.

Society is going through a digital revolution which is dislocating millions from jobs (and the incomes and self worth that come from those roles). Most just don’t understand the dynamics that are causing this (and that includes politicians) and are thrashing against change - looking for reasons. Immigrants ‘stealing their jobs’ unfair trade, ‘Liberal elites who don’t care about the little man”. People like Trump capitalise on this disquiet, Brexit in the UK is a similar phenomena.

Fundamental changes are going to be needed to rethink how the wealth created by technology is shared in ways not directly related to work. How humans get self fulfilment and an opportunity to contribute to society and the education systems to support that. No politicians either side of the Atlantic (or Pacific) are willing to grasp this difficult, fundamental but inevitable transition. 

So here we are with people being left behind not unnaturally thrashing against the impact to their lives and communities and grabbing onto charlatans selling them the snake oil that the tide can be held back.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

rich people toys don't count :), that's like saying I can buy a self driving car.

Image result for self driving car crash

add

The first limited edition model will retail at an expected 499,000 euros ($621,500) with only 90 available for sale. Thereafter a "Liberty Sport Edition" will be available for an expected price of 299,000 euros.

5 minutes ago, twa said:

rich people toys don't count :), that's like saying I can buy a self driving car.

I didn’t say it was a ‘good’ flying car.

I see multiple self driving cars every day - Uber and Google are testing them here in Chandler. Proper ones - not the ‘sort of’ self drive of a Tesla. They have become a very common sight and people are used to them. Not without some controversy mind you as you would expect - a women pedestrian was killed by one a couple of months ago.

Self driving commercial vehicles will be here soon - at least technically. The legal side and public acceptance might take longer.

Archived