Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox6: Trump Remarks At Foxconn Groundbreaking

Veryoldschool

8 hours ago, Yohan said:

The 13,000 number does not include the construction jobs created for the facility, housing and for expand I-94 and other roads going to the complex, the additional police and fire positions that will be needed, new medical facilities and other possible restaurant, retail, hotel and other. I believe I read that number to be an additional 20,000 jobs, but I can't find that source and understand that those numbers get inflated to sell the goods. Also, the incentive package partially based on Foxconn hitting certain hiring/wage goals or they either have to pay back or payment is withheld.

I dislike this deal just as I have with public money being used for Miller Park (Brewers) that I am still paying for and the new Bucks Arena.

Just pointing out that the phrase "the construction jobs created for the facility, housing and for expand I-94 and other roads going to the complex, the additional police and fire positions that will be needed" could be replaced by "jobs that the government will be paying for, and Foxconn won't."  

7 hours ago, Larry said:

Just pointing out that the phrase "the construction jobs created for the facility, housing and for expand I-94 and other roads going to the complex, the additional police and fire positions that will be needed" could be replaced by "jobs that the government will be paying for, and Foxconn won't."  

You could, but it still doesn’t take away from the fact those jobs alone is higher then the 300 number you posted earlier.

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I wouldn’t move to Wisconsin for a million dollars.  I hope all these new jobs keep it popping when it’s -4 degrees outside for 6 weeks at a time.

#carolinaborn

#lightningbugs

That’s shorts and flip flop weather. Let me guess, 70 degrees and your scrambling for your sweatshirt and pants? :) 

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

You could, but it still doesn’t take away from the fact those jobs alone is higher then the 300 number you posted earlier.

Don't believe I posted a 300 number. If I did, it was a typo. I probably posted a 3000 number. Because that's what the factory actually says they intend to hire. 

However, if your point is "But what about the short term impact of government spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars hiring people for one-time work? What if we pretend that Foxconn (who isn't paying for those jobs, thanks to their sweetheart deal) gets the credit for all those jobs, too?", then hey, let's just have the government spend a billion dollars somewhere, without Foxconn?  The taxpayers still get the economic benefit that you want to give Foxcon credit for. And they don't have to hand out sweetheart deals to anybody, to not pay for it. 

Opinion piece that highlights the environmental impact of the deal.

Sounds awful. I can't believe an EIR wasn't done (not really because govt always looks the other way when they want something done).

Sigh. What a cluster****. A possible 13,000 new jobs for a state with less than 100k unemployed. I guess that's why they are recruiting people to move there from out of state.

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/721353002

More at link.

Even before it's built, new Foxconn plant is out of date by environmental standards

The FoxConn deal follows our current path toward environmental degradation.  It was pushed through state government with the explicit intention of ignoring environmental concerns.  Most egregious, the company was permitted to bypass filing an environmental impact statement.  In its absence, here are some pressing issues about the factory under construction in rural Racine County.

The project will take out of production and destroy some of the best farmland in Wisconsin at a time when feeding the world’s burgeoning population is becoming increasingly problematic. This will be an irreversible transformation; once subjected to intense industrial-chemical use, the land cannot be reclaimed for farming. 

The facility depends on diverting millions of gallons water each day from Lake Michigan.  The site lies outside the Lake Michigan watershed and alone cannot obtain lake water according to the international law (Great Lakes Compact) that was created to protect and regulate access to Great Lakes water.  Racine County is attempting to break the compact for short-term economic gain.  Should it succeed, the precedent will open the Great Lakes to the wholesale diversion of water and long-term environmental loss.

22 hours ago, Larry said:

To start with, the 13,000 number is a "maybe, some day" number.  The company actually says they intend to employ 300.  (And, as somebody already posted, has a history of making lots of claims about what a big investment they're going to make, when they're negotiating a deal, and then actually investing a fraction of that.)  But says that the number might get as high as 13,000, eventually.  

I did know that you meant 3,000, but as some who points out know one said exactly “x”, I quoted your exact number just in case.

And I agree with you assessment of the additional jobs beyond the 13,000. Keep in mind I live there, and am looking at it in shades of gray. This is an area, SE Wisconsin, especially the Racine area, that has had high unemployment rates for the past 20-25 years. For some people here, you can see hope on their faces for the first time in forever. I have stated numerous times, I am not a fan of this, except for a few selfish reasons, my property value is up, and bicycle path infrastructure is on the rise. Also, the tech schools have ramped it up and you can already see the gains.

I don’t care for the way Mount Pleasant handled getting the land for Foxconn. I’ve heard Foxconn was going to use 10 million gallons of water a day. Lake Michigan and the shoreline is beautiful, I hate to think about what might become of it. The I94 construction is messing with my commute time to Milwaukee. I don’t like the cost of any of this. It easy to read tweets and news articles looking from an outside, black and white perspective.

12 hours ago, Larry said:

However, if your point is "But what about the short term impact of government spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars hiring people for one-time work? What if we pretend that Foxconn (who isn't paying for those jobs, thanks to their sweetheart deal) gets the credit for all those jobs, too?", then hey, let's just have the government spend a billion dollars somewhere, without Foxconn?  The taxpayers still get the economic benefit that you want to give Foxcon credit for. And they don't have to hand out sweetheart deals to anybody, to not pay for it. 

which has more impact a billion in govt spending or a billion in govt spending that results in a additional 10 billion in localized spending from foxconn? (and most of that spending REQUIRES foxconn spending much more)

I would prefer not spending any govt funds, but enticing corps out of their comfort zone doesn't work that way

53 minutes ago, twa said:

which has more impact a billion in govt spending or a billion in govt spending that results in a additional 10 billion in localized spending from foxconn? (and most of that spending REQUIRES foxconn spending much more)

I would prefer not spending any govt funds, but enticing corps out of their comfort zone doesn't work that way

Wow.  

Hey, folks.  

Not only is Foxconn going to hire the entire "maybe someday" workforce of 13,000 people.  They're going to pay them $770,000 each.  

Learn something new every day.  

But let's just pretend that that ten billion dollar number that you just pulled out of your behind is actually remotely close to believable.  

Is that 10 billion dollars going to be spent on things that are taxed at 10%?  

Cause that's what it would take for the government to break even in their billion dollars in spending which is 100% government spending.  

20 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Sigh. What a cluster****. A possible 13,000 new jobs for a state with less than 100k unemployed. I guess that's why they are recruiting people to move there from out of state.

Isnt that the answer to unemployment? Move to where the jobs are?

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Why does the government need this deal with Foxconn anyway? Didn’t all the companies in Wisconsin receive their massive tax break and are therefore reinvesting all that money back into their companies, creating new jobs and opportunity for current workers and the unemployed? 

they wanna be like NOVA

3 hours ago, twa said:

Lets pretend you are right and just give people money instead. :ols:

There's advantages to that plan.  

Give the money to the people, and 100% of that money actually winds up in the hands of the people.  Give it to a corporation, and the corporation sends 90% of it somewhere else.  (Yes, I'm speaking in generalities.)  

And, it's actually the government's job to make things better for the people, so it's actually accomplishing that mission.  

I'm not arguing that handing money to people is always a better plan.  Just pointing out that it's not necessarily bad.  

1 hour ago, twa said:

they wanna be like NOVA

twa wants to change the subject by throwing out another argument that he knows in advance isn't true.  

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

twa wants to change the subject by throwing out another argument that he knows in advance isn't true.  

ya caught me, nobody wants to be like NOVA. :ols:

• 6 months later...

Though, I was never fully on board with the Foxconn deal, and have doubts about the jobs numbers. I am hearing rumblings that Rueters has done a piss poor job of investigating this and that there is a lot more to the story, then what is there...clicks I guess.

"FoxConn".

if you wrote all of this as a screenplay, even Roger Corman would tell you it's too hamhanded and corny. Like "Unobtanium" or some stupid **** like that.

"FOX con? Everybody will see right through that... try something clever, like 'Liarco', or 'Fraudmart', or "Nestatheeves,Inc.".

~Bang

18 hours ago, Yohan said:

The sad news is the State Republicans are blaming new Governor Evers  for what ever is taking place with Foxconn. I think I need to look into that Canada thread.

Lol wut?

That's so hilariously stupid but at the same time sad because you KNOW Trump will do the same thing but with congressional Dems and his mouth breathing followers will swallow it whole.

Archived