Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Troy Apke S Penn St

Wildbunny

15 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Reed was a good glue player.  THAT is the kind of player I like, very much. Hail. 

I have to admit, I miss seeing Reed on the field. Especially on special teams. If Apke can get his game together and contribute as a decent safety and a strong teams player, then he’ll be fine. If not, he’s a waste of a draft pick. 

I think Apke is a perfect candidate to be the 4th (behind Everett) or 5th (Ladler, Smithson, or Blanding...in that order) safety and play on all the ST this season. Then next year make that typical (for guys with talent and work ethic) jump from year 1 to year 2 and become a solid backup safety. If he has to play a lot of meaningful snaps on DEF this season it probably won’t be pretty...but that’s not his fault. He didn’t draft himself in the 4th rd and it’s the coaching staff’s job to get him up to speed...as long as he’s willing to work. 

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Apke is the exact opposite of Doughty.

Doughty had football skills and instincts, but no athletic ability.

Apke has little football skills and instincts, but full of athletic ability.

Overall, the biggest thing about Apke is he is just a rookie.

Coach Gruden made a point to put Apke and other rookies and young players in against Denver's ones and you saw how raw some were.

If Apke makes the team, he won't do much this season unless it is on special teams.

Next year will be the time to see how much he has progressed.

With Apke (and really any of these guys) we have to remember that the Gruden-led Redskins actually has a track record for 1-2 guys looking pretty bad as rookies and making huge strides as second-year players. 

Fuller and Ioaniddis were lost as rookies and considered busts. Maybe it's our defensive scheme, great coaching that kicks on D, or just a normal development...but even if Apke or Settle or anyone else doesn't contribute all year the book isn't written on each guy. 

55 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

With Apke (and really any of these guys) we have to remember that the Gruden-led Redskins actually has a track record for 1-2 guys looking pretty bad as rookies and making huge strides as second-year players. 

Fuller and Ioaniddis were lost as rookies and considered busts. Maybe it's our defensive scheme, great coaching that kicks on D, or just a normal development...but even if Apke or Settle or anyone else doesn't contribute all year the book isn't written on each guy. 

Now that we've finally got solid defensive coordinators in place we hit on more late round talent. However I do wish they'd take safety more seriously. Especially FS. 

Apke showed athletic skills (you can't teach) and made some bad and late decisions (that he can learn).  I agree he hasn't looked real good in preseason, but I think his upside is worth keeping him around for another look.   

1 hour ago, evmiii said:

Apke showed athletic skills (you can't teach) and made some bad and late decisions (that he can learn).  I agree he hasn't looked real good in preseason, but I think his upside is worth keeping him around for another look.   

He is practice squad material.

18 minutes ago, evmiii said:

I agree.  I think a year on the PS will show what he's got either way.  I don't think he's a big risk to be picked up by another team.

Certainly not the way he's been playing. 

Now it ups the ante for us to find a viable FS backup in case our starters get injured since I don't think Apke is that guy this season.

My concern is that Apke's basically a special teams guy right now. But that's why Deshazor Everett is on this team. For special teams play. We really don't want two back-up safeties who are basically here for their teams play. What if one of the starters does down (and Nicholson has had health issues)? Is there a plan there? It really seems like the team needs a bona fide back-up. Though the other players in camp may not be much better than Everett anyhow.

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

My concern is that Apke's basically a special teams guy right now. But that's why Deshazor Everett is on this team. For special teams play. We really don't want two back-up safeties who are basically here for their teams play. What if one of the starters does down (and Nicholson has had health issues)? Is there a plan there? It really seems like the team needs a bona fide back-up. Though the other players in camp may not be much better than Everett anyhow.

Everett was going to be the starter last year till Nicholson emerged so, I think they expect him to be more than a ST

15 minutes ago, carex said:

Everett was going to be the starter last year till Nicholson emerged so, I think they expect him to be more than a ST

I suppose, though I'm not sure he's any good as a safety. He wasn't terrible when had to play last year (after Nicholson went down), though he wasn't really good either. But the other point is would Smithson or Blanding or Ladler be any better at this stage in their careers?

Archived