Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Troy Apke S Penn St

Wildbunny

15 minutes ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Adam Archuleta 2.0

Great athlete, but not a great football player. Good news is that he’s young and has nowhere to go but up. Not my favorite pick but I will be rooting for him. 

You Don't think there's any chance that your subconsciously using a stereotype to compare the two?

I know I did. 

14 minutes ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Adam Archuleta 2.0

Great athlete, but not a great football player. Good news is that he’s young and has nowhere to go but up. Not my favorite pick but I will be rooting for him. 

I thought Adam Archuleta deal was he was a work aholic in the weight room.  But lack the speed to really cover the receivers.  

Nothing like Archualetta. Adam had tight hips and poor quickness. His speed was actually very good. He was an in the box safety miscast as a coverage safety.

Apke looks like a very fluid athlete. I wouldn't have any concerns about physical limitations. 

26 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Nothing like Archualetta. Adam had tight hips and poor quickness. His speed was actually very good. He was an in the box safety miscast as a coverage safety.

Apke looks like a very fluid athlete. I wouldn't have any concerns about physical limitations. 

Much more Jason Seahorne ols

2 hours ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Adam Archuleta 2.0

Apke is not fully developed.

So to compare Apke as a player with only college experience, to an Archuletta who has already completed his career and reached his full potential, I feel is an inaccurate comparison.

3 hours ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Adam Archuleta 2.0

Define "not a great football player". He certainly has weaknesses. However, he is solid against the run. Played a lot of STs and excelled (likely a big reason he was drafted) and he has the speed (4.34 40) to recover even if he is not the best in coverage. His weaknesses are pass coverage and taking bad angles at times. Missed a few tackles but most of that can be coached. 

But he is a pretty decent college prospect. It's entirely too early to determine if he will a good NFL player - and I am not saying he will be. He faces an uphill battle and is certainly a project. But your characterization sounds pretty finite - like you have examples of him being "not a great football player". 

I will say he is faster than Archuletta and is also bigger and stronger. So not sure how he gets that comparison already. 

I am not trying to be argumentative, just asking the question. If you have some specifics I would be very interested. Have to admit I have not researched him as much as some others.  

10 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I will say he is faster than Archuletta and is also bigger and stronger. So not sure how he gets that comparison already. 

I mean Archie ran a 4.37 thats splitting hairs saying he was slower. Was pretty strong too. 

25 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I mean Archie ran a 4.37 thats splitting hairs saying he was slower. Was pretty strong too. 

To add to this, Archuletta was 11 pounds heavier at the combine, and threw up 31 reps on the bench (compared to Apke’s 16).  However, Apke is 1.1 inches taller with longer arms and bigger hands.  

Speaking of which, Archuletta had some pretty small hands - 7.75.  

I’m not expecting much much from Apke (besides ST play, which is big), but I am really curious to see how he develops and how they use him.  Depending on how he progresses, I wonder if they might even carve out a different type of role for him (down the line).  

Still think it was a slightly curious pick, but I’ll certainly be pulling for him.  We could definitely use a capable backup to Nicholson, a replacement for Everett, and a ST ace, etc.  

Just now, XxSpearheadxX said:

Ok fine I guess,:) but he isn't stronger

Are you really that bored you have to nit-pick a comment about Adam ****ing Archeletta? :chair: lol   The guy was a total POS. He was 100% useless. Apke at least has a chance to do something. That was the point. Someone said Apke is Archeletta 2.0 which is a nonsense statement.

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Are you really that bored you have to nit-pick a comment about Adam ****ing Archeletta? :chair: lol   The guy was a total POS. He was 100% useless. Apke at least has a chance to do something. That was the point. Someone said Apke is Archeletta 2.0 which is a nonsense statement.

Archuleta sucked when his back went out and never was the same. Terrible $igning. If Apke makes NFL defensive all rookie team like Archuletta did I'll be happy. 

And yes I'm a little bored

Forget Archuletta... I am hoping that Troy Apke will be this generation's more athletic Reed Doughty.

We got alot of playing time out of Reed Doughty.. Too bad he was physically limited...  If Apke turns out to be Doughty type of contributor but just little more physically talented then we got a good value of this pick!

12 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Depending on how his rookie season goes, which will most likely consist of special teams and sub-packages, I highly anticipate him and Nicholson becoming our starting safety tandem for the future.

If Nicholson can stay healthy.

I'm thinking of this pick as pure upside, just for my own mental health. After the free 3rd we picked up in the trade down where we still stole Guice, I'm thinking of our 3rd round upside OL pick as a freebie who I would have been even more cool with in the 4th, where we actually took Apke...and Apke as a free upside "what the hell" pick on a hell of an athlete. 

I know that the whole "playing with house money" mindset is a dangerous gambler's fallacy. But its a technique I use for my own mental health to be "okay" with the bad value of certain picks lol. 

On 5/11/2018 at 9:45 AM, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Adam Archuleta 2.0

Adam Archuleta was a LB in college and considered one of the best as he was named the Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year and was a First-team All-Pac-10 Conference selection as a linebacker.  He was good enough to be selected 20 overall. Until his injury, he was considered one of the better safeties in the NFL and was on the all-rookie team. Again, if not for injury, Archuleta would have lived up to his pick status.

Apke would be a great pick if he is actually on the all-rookie team.  If over the next 4 years, he is a decent backup and a good special teams guy, it was a good pick. Heck, it probably should not be considered the end of the world if he is a training camp cut.

Archived