Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Troy Apke S Penn St

Wildbunny

8 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Not disagreeing with you but my point is that he has off the charts athleticism so get creative and figure out how he can help us or what position he is best suited to play at this level, maybe it's not safety.

If he's here to be a pro bowl type special teams player that's fine but you have to tackle and he lacks in that category.

If his position is not safety then what on Earth could it be?  He sure can't cover well enough to be a corner.   Maybe, just maybe, he can become Steve Tasker. But that's really a reach and he has not shown the ability to tackle all that well.    

While I agree it's too early to write him off there are plenty of players who will be cut in the next week based on what they did this camp. They will be written off. Because Apke was drafted 2 rounds too soon does that automatically give him a roster spot over someone who was perhaps more deserving?  

I see that Troy Apke is the new ES whipping boy. All of about 40 snaps in preseason and he is a complete wash. Should never even be on the field. 

I have no idea if he can make it or not. But if you are going to build through the draft you need to take chances on guys like this with athletic ability but maybe not as refined technique general reaction wise. If you can teach them technique and reaction then you get a pretty good player. His speed alone makes it worth a shot. If not, he plays STs for a while and then gets cut - if he even makes the 53. I could see Apke being put on the PS. If he gets claimed, OK, no real loss at this point. If not, they have some time to develop him without using a roster spot. 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

If his position is not safety then what on Earth could it be?  He sure can't cover well enough to be a corner.   Maybe, just maybe, he can become Steve Tasker. But that's really a reach and he has not shown the ability to tackle all that well.    

While I agree it's too early to write him off there are plenty of players who will be cut in the next week based on what they did this camp. They will be written off. Because Apke was drafted 2 rounds too soon does that automatically give him a roster spot over someone who was perhaps more deserving?  

I wouldn't cut a guy who's 6-1 with 4.3 speed until I exhausted every option.

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I see that Troy Apke is the new ES whipping boy. All of about 40 snaps in preseason and he is a complete wash. Should never even be on the field. 

I have no idea if he can make it or not. But if you are going to build through the draft you need to take chances on guys like this with athletic ability but maybe not as refined technique general reaction wise. If you can teach them technique and reaction then you get a pretty good player. His speed alone makes it worth a shot. If not, he plays STs for a while and then gets cut - if he even makes the 53. I could see Apke being put on the PS. If he gets claimed, OK, no real loss at this point. If not, they have some time to develop him without using a roster spot. 

I don't think anyone would have a problem putting him on the PS. But I do have a problem automatically giving him a roster spot if there are players who have played better and are more deserving. Again we are not just talking about a few snaps in pre-season, his blazing speed and athleticism didn't help him in college either as he just wasn't that productive there either. And that's what a lot of us are basing our opinion on. 

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

we are not just talking about a few snaps in pre-season, his blazing speed and athleticism didn't help him in college either as he just wasn't that productive there either. And that's what a lot of us are basing our opinion on. 

38 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I wouldn't cut a guy who's 6-1 with 4.3 speed until I exhausted every option.

He has only recently become a safety and nobody is cutting him. Nobody thought he would be a starter. Nobody expects anything more than ST right now. 

Any talk about cutting him is absolutely ridiculous. Three preseason games and you guys have seen enough of a 4rth round pick? ****ing absurd. 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't think anyone would have a problem putting him on the PS. But I do have a problem automatically giving him a roster spot if there are players who have played better and are more deserving. Again we are not just talking about a few snaps in pre-season, his blazing speed and athleticism didn't help him in college either as he just wasn't that productive there either. And that's what a lot of us are basing our opinion on. 

I agree no automatic roster spot. I believe for anyone. But that's not what has been being discussed by many - not necessarily saying you, but many of the comments. It is more like he is absolutely horrible. 

I keep hearing about his lack of production but I think that is a bit of a misnomer. He did not start until his last year. In his last year he was 4th in tackles with 55, his 6 passes defensed led all non-CBs and his 3 QB hits was most among DBs. He also had a pick and a blocked punt. So it's not like he was a zero. 

A fourth round safety with high character, intelligence, blazing speed, and eye opening vertical. I see no reason why he can't sharpen up on instincts and tackling technique over time. I had no expectation of him being anything more than a STs and depth S. 

People didn't like the value of the pick, I get that. I didn't love it myself, but I think there's some excess, carryover hostility about it here in late August. 

Got no dog in the Apke conversation, I haven't watched a lick of his college tape.  I get both sides as for opinions on him.  For what its worth, Chris Russell quoted Craig Hoffman today saying he hears Apke could be one of the cuts. 

Who knows -- should be an entertaining Saturday to see who makes the roster.

The thing about players who are physical freaks, really fast and tall, yet lack production, and get drafted low?  You have to be really concerned about just how bad at FOOTBALL they are to be physical freaks and still ranked that far below everyone they compete against.

Theres 1 of 2 possible scenarios in my mind.   1. They are new to football and the position and so learning.  Nobody is great in their first couple of years. 2. They are just very bad and dont get the game.

Archived