Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Troy Apke S Penn St

Wildbunny

Archuleta was more athlete than football player. People get enamored with athletic white guys (look at Dion Sanders reaction). I remember videos of Archuleta jumping off roofs in workout videos. That is where the comparison comes in, they don’t look fluid and natural on the field, bad angles missed tackles mis diagnose plays. Reed Doughty was the opposite. He was in good position took correct angles he just didn’t have the speed strength or vertical to be a really good starter. 

I am rooting for Apke but if he is starting any games at free safety in the next two years I will be worried. I hope he is a special teams pro bowler for years to come!!!!! 

37 minutes ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Archuleta was more athlete than football player. People get enamored with athletic white guys (look at Dion Sanders reaction). I remember videos of Archuleta jumping off roofs in workout videos. That is where the comparison comes in, they don’t look fluid and natural on the field, bad angles missed tackles mis diagnose plays. Reed Doughty was the opposite. He was in good position took correct angles he just didn’t have the speed strength or vertical to be a really good starter. 

I am rooting for Apke but if he is starting any games at free safety in the next two years I will be worried. I hope he is a special teams pro bowler for years to come!!!!! 

Archuleta was a great football player, you don't go from walk-on to a three year starter (along with significant playing time as a RS freshman) and one of the best linebackers in college football if you are more athlete than football player. You don't make the all-rookie team (at a different position than you played in college) unless you are a football player more than an athlete. Safeties, especially strong side ones, often don't last long. Archdeluxe biggest issue was that he was a LB in a DB's body.  Laron Landry was among the best for about 3+ years and then had an awesome 5th though that was probably due to PEDs.  Bob Sanders was the best SS in 2007 but injuries took away 2006 and would spend the bulk of this last 4 on IR.

14 hours ago, httrcirca87 said:

If he ends up being Jason Seahorn that would be amazing as he was an All-Pro level player in his prime.

I think he's going to be a Matt Bowen type player.  Bowen was a little long and lanky like Apke and they both share the ability to be aggressive.  He should be great on special teams and he should develop into a quality backup at the least.  Looking forward to what Torian Gray can do with him.  

On 5/14/2018 at 12:41 PM, sjinhan said:

Forget Archuletta... I am hoping that Troy Apke will be this generation's more athletic Reed Doughty.

We got alot of playing time out of Reed Doughty.. Too bad he was physically limited...  If Apke turns out to be Doughty type of contributor but just little more physically talented then we got a good value of this pick!

Reed Doughty was pretty terrible.  I actually find it quite remarkable that our defense was so bad for a good number of consecutive years that Doughty continued to be a starter at Safety. 

FBFF2435-454C-41FF-8DFD-19C2E7BE6E93.jpeg

@-JB-He was limited athletically, but he was intelligent and made an impact vs the run.  His limitations meant he couldn’t always/usually get to where he needed to be in coverage and he didn’t have the length/leaping ability to challenge taller receivers.  Of course, he’d have been better against the run too with more athleticism (size/speed/burst).  

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@-JB-He was limited athletically, but he was intelligent and made an impact vs the run.  His limitations meant he couldn’t always/usually get to where he needed to be in coverage and he didn’t have the length/leaping ability to challenge taller receivers.  Of course, he’d have been better against the run too with more athleticism (size/speed/burst).  

I agree. I will never forget when our defensive coordinator had him one on one with Andre Johnson in the end zone. He was in perfect position but was just physically mismatched beyond belief. 

Doughty was a good backup, he was just forced to be a starter way too much.  The coaches could count on him to be where he was supposed to be, if his role had been to come in for a few snaps after someone got a stinger we likely would have a different memory of him.

This thread is becoming aids. Lets make it a disease that is almost irradicated because of community efforts to realize Apke is tight hipped and needs to be better at recognizing plays. If Apke can be 38% of what Kendall Fuller in the hips/recognition department we have a player. Not counting on it. Hope he will. 

15 hours ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

(look at Dion Sanders reaction)

The reaction at the combine?.. during apkens 40 yard dash?..that reaction?..it was absolutely bull **** and I was offended..flip the script and I promise the race card is out..

5 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

This thread is becoming aids. Lets make it a disease that is almost irradicated because of community efforts to realize Apke is tight hipped and needs to be better at recognizing plays. If Apke can be 38% of what Kendall Fuller in the hips/recognition department we have a player. Not counting on it. Hope he will. 

I've seen no scouting analysis anywhere, or tape, to suggest that he is tight hipped. He looks like a super fluid athlete. If anything, I think he looks too lithe and not thick enough to play against the run. I think any difficulties he has will be secondary to lack or experience and feel for the game at safety. He has only been a defensive player since, what, his sophomore year of colllege? You can't expect his instincts to be where they need to be yet. 

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I've seen no scouting analysis anywhere, or tape, to suggest that he is tight hipped. He looks like a super fluid athlete. 

Bleacher report and Cooley specifically mention his change of direction being stiff, nfl draft profile says he may lack the lateral agility foe man coverage. Look I'm not trying to beat up on the kid, but I didn't make it up. 

Not to beat up on Apke, but I would have taken Durham Smythe at that pick.  

Davis and Reed are set to earn over 15 mil next year (2019) and both have some concerns going forward - age and injuries, respectively, but also struggles with blocking.  Would have liked to have another guy in house to get up to speed by then.  Have hope for Sprinkle, but he hasn’t proven himself as a pass catcher, or proven he’s ready for a top 2 role (let alone number 1).  Cap’s going to be an issue and that’s a good place to try to save money IMO.  

• 3 months later...

Archived