Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Troy Apke S Penn St

Wildbunny

So it essentially looks like hes a physical freak who needs good coaching.  His issues appear to be reading the QB, taking angles, and missed tackles.  But hes a hard worker, who is insanely fast, insanely agile, and with an insanely good jump.

Just saw Apke's 40 yard dash on Facebook and Deion Sanders' reaction to it lol. Kid is fast.

I'm liking this pick more and more. I think he can be a ballhawking safety.

I might as well post it (click title of video).  Eh I guess the NFL doesn't allow you to embed on this website, sorry mods didn't know feel free to remove it.

5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

So it essentially looks like hes a physical freak who needs good coaching.  His issues appear to be reading the QB, taking angles, and missed tackles.  But hes a hard worker, who is insanely fast, insanely agile, and with an insanely good jump.

Sounds exactly like the Safety we drafted last year.

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Sounds exactly like the Safety we drafted last year.

Pretty much. There are obviously not the exact same, but this seems like Nicholson 2.0. Given how much they liked Nicholson, they'll try it again. A fourth round safety with raw speed.

12 hours ago, method man said:

Honestly, that might be the fastest 40 I can think of ever for a white guy. I remember Matt Jones, the Arkansas QB who became a WR for the Jaguars before flaming out of the league due to drug addiction, ran under a 4.4 as well but I can't think of anyone else. Woodhead?

Kevin Curtis was a guy I remember from at least a decade ago who played WR for The Eagles. I think he ran maybe in the high 4.3s

Going back further may be difficult... as maybe Jason Seahorns 40 time isn’t as readily available 

18 hours ago, Destino said:

This looks like a classic project selection.  Physical tools that can't be taught are there and if coaches and trainers can improve a few areas Apke could be a player for us.  He should be able to help on special teams right away with all that speed, and the Redskins certainly need that.  The only issue, and it's not enough for me to dislike these picks, is that the Redskins seem to have taken a similar gamble in the 3rd round.  If it works out, great, but projects have inherently higher risk than lower reward players that seem ready to fill depth roles in the NFL right away.

Swinging big on upside is the philosophy of our draft.  We're showing quite a bit of confidence in our ability to teach and develop players.  Trey Quinn and Shaun Dion Hamilton are the only two who are pretty much finished products, and with Hamilton, the big risk is the right knee.

But a couple of things mitigate the risk IMO:

1 - We have one of the stronger staffs in the league.  Gray, Tomsula, and Callahan are three of the best and most notable teachers and our raw players are in their position groups.

2 - The only position we doubled up on was interior DL, that was our weakest, and it's also the position group that plays a rotation.  It was an odd and fortunate way that the draft broke such that BPA value picks dispersed talent around the roster.  These guys will have pretty mediocre competition for roster spots because most of our vets at these positions are aging or not very good, and they won't really have  to compete with other guys in their draft class for roster spots either.

3 - Most of these guys already have some type of NFL ready skillset they can use to get on the roster and get on the field early.

- Payne is already a starting caliber 0 and 1 technique.

- Guice is already a dynamic inside runner and he looks healthy and his chief competition for a starting role is a journeyman grinder and a second year player who isn't as good as him.

- Christian's edge protection is already good.

- Apke is can probably play gunner on special teams next season and safety is very thin

- Settle can get on the field as a nickel rushing 1 tech.

- Hamilton can play teams too once his knee heals.

- Stroman can return punts and kicks and cornerback had two big departures, thinning out the competition significantly.

- Quinn can return punts and kicks and WR is so thin that Quinn can win a role as the fourth receiver immediately.

Of all the picks we made, I think Apke has one of the toughest roads because he barely knows how to play the position.  Everett will be ahead of him on the depth chart, but he's not a huge roadblock, we go through safeties pretty quickly, and they play in rotations.  Apke will have a shot.

It wouldn't shock me if all 8 picks make the roster and five of them become regulars/starters.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a home run for any draft. 

It's the type of draft that builds your foundation.  If you get four starters and a regular rotation DT, that's like a sixth of your core roster in one go.

Any of them could have their careers derailed by injury, which could decimate our class.  But that's always a risk.  The key is getting guys who have the upside to start.

And beyond a consideration of talent, this is an identity-building draft class.  We are going to be a trench warfare team.  We're systematically recreating the Patriots defensive line from their first threepeat.  We got a RB who can be the face of the franchise and define the personality of our offense.  We got guys who take pride in their special teams play.  We're blue-collar now and I like it.  Just wish we had more run blocking talent at TE and WR.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's the type of draft that builds your foundation.  If you get four starters and a regular rotation DT, that's like a sixth of your core roster in one go.

Any of them could have their careers derailed by injury, which could decimate our class.  But that's always a risk.  The key is getting guys who have the upside to start.

And beyond a consideration of talent, this is an identity-building draft class.  We are going to be a trench warfare team.  We're systematically recreating the Patriots defensive line from their first threepeat.  We got a RB who can be the face of the franchise and define the personality of our offense.  We got guys who take pride in their special teams play.  We're blue-collar now and I like it.  Just wish we had more run blocking talent at TE and WR.

Man, spot on. Last two drafts have been incredibly focused on defense. Hopefully our 2 Bama backers can develop into starters because they're pretty complimentary. 

TE has bothered me for years. Nice to see everyone else finally sour on Reed. Something tells me he'll be healthy most of this year. 

Our smaller, quicker WRs along with a smash mouth run game has me thinking of the R&S 80's oilers :ols:

I'd love to have a Ward type starting. I've still got high hopes for Davis. He's about our only shot for a big blocking WR who can win the chains. 

I'm hoping sprinkle gets a bigger role and I'm sure he will. Davis will begin to break down before halfway through the season again and we know Reeds missing time. 

Next year's draft will be very offense heavy I think. 

Thing I liked most about the Troy and Deion video, is 2 things. Troy came across as very humble, and he had this "all-business" attitude.

He didn't get caught up in the lovefest Deion was giving him, but was unfazed and very level-headed, like it's just another day at the office, just doin my job, like I'm expected to do consistently.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:40 AM, Destino said:

This looks like a classic project selection.  Physical tools that can't be taught are there and if coaches and trainers can improve a few areas Apke could be a player for us.  He should be able to help on special teams right away with all that speed, and the Redskins certainly need that.  The only issue, and it's not enough for me to dislike these picks, is that the Redskins seem to have taken a similar gamble in the 3rd round.  If it works out, great, but projects have inherently higher risk than lower reward players that seem ready to fill depth roles in the NFL right away. 

This is a great point, per the norm from you, and I’d add that the risk you mention here is slightly mitigated by one thing; coaching stability. 

It’s something we’re impervious to as fans, but every year the scouts and coaches spend together they increase their knowledge in not only the type of schematic fits they’re looking for, but even who among the coaching staff can develop exactly what specific physical attributes found in players. 

Interestingly, in this case with Apke, Gray has only been here for a little over a year, but they’ve seen how he handled Nicholson already. I think it’s very likely that played a major role in how high Apke was on their board. 

Same goes for Christian. They likely know exactly what Callahan wants at this point and can presumably turn into a great player relatively quickly. 

At least that’s what should be happening right now. 

Pretty cool that he gave this answer pre-draft:

Q. Give me a player that you look up to at the NFL level. I understand you came in as a wide receiver, so it could be a receiver, could be a defensive back – just a player that you turned on the TV that you look up to.

A. A guy that I’ve actually watched a lot of film on, I like the way he plays, is D.J. Swearinger. He plays for the Washington Redskins now. I like the way he plays and the energy he brings. I’ve watched a lot of film on him.

http://gridironnow.com/penn-states-troy-apke-surging-up-nfl-draft-boards/

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:09 PM, HoggLife said:

Ya he's all over the field and looks like hes a solid tackler too. How did he fall to 4th. Looks like a steal. 

He needs to fix that arm tackling.  That won't work at the NFL level.

:229:The Rook

I like him,, i see a lot of bad grades and criticisms, and i am sure a lot of them are valid,, but there is something to be said for drafting from quality progras, and Franklin has rebuilt Penn St. into a house of respect. (At least til we find out otherwise.. never know anymore.)

Speed is undeniable. Special teams can certainly use him, and he can cut his teeth there. No need to rush him anywhere.

~Bang

Archived