Broad Jump

131.0 INCHES

3 Cone Drill

6.56 Seconds

20 Yd Shuttle

4.03 Seconds

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/troy-apke?id=32462018-0002-5601-23df-c332e0865a01

Player Bio

Steve Apke was a starting linebacker for Pitt in the 1980s and then suited up for the Steelers as a replacement player during the 1987 season. His son, Troy, took a different path, signing with Penn State as a first-team all-state receiver from Mount Lebanon. He moved to safety for the Nittany Lions, playing in six games as a reserve (two tackles) as a true freshman. Apka started one game in his sophomore and junior seasons, compiling 26 and 28 tackles respectively and intercepting one pass in 2016. He joined fellow senior Marcus Allen as a starter (11 times in 13 games played) during 2017, posting 55 stops, three for losses, an interception and five pass breakups.

Overview

Apke's production in key indicators for the position, like ball production and tackle consistency, are lacking. With just one year as a full-time starter, there simply isn't enough impressive tape to get excited about. He has decent size and could put together a solid workout, but may not offer enough range in coverage or thump as a tackler to ever be a full-time contributor. Apke may need to find his niche on special teams to earn any early playing time.

Strengths

Showed in spring that he has the ability to beef up into the 210-pound range

Gets downhill against the run

Plays with good recognition of blocking schemes

Urgent to rush into his run fit and do his job

Adequate force as a striker

High school sprinter with decent straight-line speed

Has footwork and enough agility to survive and recover when crossed up by route fakes

History of special teams performance will help

Was MVP of the NFLPA game

** click on the link for more **

2 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

If he develops into a starter, great. But I bet he’s drafted in order to wreck fools on teams. 

Which in the 4th round, I'm fine with.  If he's fast enough to get there and do something about it, I'm cool with it, we need more of that.

I love this pick!  4.3 speed, athletic freak and huge upside!  He will be coached up to maximize the talent.

14 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Ya he's all over the field and looks like hes a solid tackler too. How did he fall to 4th. Looks like a steal. 

It's because he's...which is absolutely ridiculous!

24 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Ya he's all over the field and looks like hes a solid tackler too. How did he fall to 4th. Looks like a steal. 

Probably because he's only a 1 year starter with limited production. Before he blew up the combine he was projected more as a 6th or 7th round pick. Definitely like his upside. From what limited stuff I've just watched he seems to have good recognition, good change of direction (though a bit stiff in the hips), really good pursuit speed (obviously), takes good angles, decent tackler but not great. I like the pick. Get him a spot on Teams and coach him up. Probably more of a centerfield type S with his speed and recognition which we could use.

think he would be available in later rds as he was the #2 safety at Penn St. and Marcus Allen was #1 at Penn St. and still available.  I would have taken Kyzir White in a heartbeat.  He must be a development project and a Special teams player 1st year in their plans.  Guy does show speed though.

7 minutes ago, rabidskin said:

think he would be available in later rds as he was the #2 safety at Penn St. and Marcus Allen was #1 at Penn St. and still available.  I would have taken Kyzir White in a heartbeat.  He must be a development project and a Special teams player 1st year in their plans.  Guy does show speed though.

You never know about this stuff.  If he’s got the grade which had the Skins pick him, it’s likely at least one other team had a similar grade and he could have gone in the next few picks, even if talking hairdo and company had him rated lower.

Skins got a fair wait until their pick in the 5th round so likely thought they'd have to jump early on him. Combine freak. Guess this one is a case of incredible natural athletic ability that you have to take a chance on. Get him coached up.

Welcome aboard ..:229:

8 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Looks like we got the fastest white guy in the entire draft.

Deion's reaction at the combine was hilarious, I knew what he wanted to say.

I wonder if the team thinks he can be flipped back to WR since he's only been a safety for 1 year.

This looks like a classic project selection.  Physical tools that can't be taught are there and if coaches and trainers can improve a few areas Apke could be a player for us.  He should be able to help on special teams right away with all that speed, and the Redskins certainly need that.  The only issue, and it's not enough for me to dislike these picks, is that the Redskins seem to have taken a similar gamble in the 3rd round.  If it works out, great, but projects have inherently higher risk than lower reward players that seem ready to fill depth roles in the NFL right away. 

48 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Looks like we got the fastest white guy in the entire draft.

So there’s that. 

Actually, I see good things ahead for Troy. My prediction: he’s going to carve out a decent NFL career for himself. 

Honestly, that might be the fastest 40 I can think of ever for a white guy. I remember Matt Jones, the Arkansas QB who became a WR for the Jaguars before flaming out of the league due to drug addiction, ran under a 4.4 as well but I can't think of anyone else. Woodhead?

Archived