Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

When did this happen, can you please give me specifics because your the first person I've heard say Bruce refused to hear trade offers before the 2017 season.

I'm not going to go searching for links or quotes now. It was quite widely reported at the beginning of last offseason that teams were told the redskins weren't willing to engage in any cousins trade discussions. It came up again during the draft that teams were told the Redskins wouldn't answer calls on him.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Also, how do you trade someone on the tag when they won't cooperate.

I've asked that question a couple times and nobody seems to have an answer.

Easily.

And there is no reason to believe he wouldn't cooperate with a trade last offseason. 

47 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

HE did edited it out when someone noticed it, btw Master Tre is a legit writer and it is not in his nature to make stuff up. 

Yeah, I saw a couple of people say he edited it out immediately. I said it would be insane because I don't know why you'd put that in without knowing the reaction it would get. I still think so.

4 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

Last year around this time, I posted often about how QBs that move to other teams often do poorly.  Brees and Manning are the main two that aren't in agreement with my opinion.  Those 2 are HoF QBs.  So, I will say it one more time for now and then wait for the season to play out. 

I don't expect much from Kirk even if he goes to a team with a great D.  I expect he will struggle with new system, throw a couple picks and not recover like we saw earlier in his career.  I will put it out there and eat crow if I must:  9-7 is the best he will do, but more likely a losing record.  Since he won't be a 'Skin, I really don't care much.

So Skins fans shouldn't expect too much from Alex Smith since he is coming from another team?  Let's be positive and give Alex a chance. 

7 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

It's known that Cousins wants a three year contract so he can be a free agent again after that for another big contract.

If a team wants a franchise QB, why would they only invest time and players for only three years?

That's a fair point. The argument I guess would be that 3 years of a franchise QB is better than 3 years without. But unless he's going to a team 1 piece away, then they will need time to grow around him. And with the way he has played his contract negotiations so far I can see that scaring off a team that thinks he will need more than 3 years before the team is ready to compete. 

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

And there is no reason to believe he wouldn't cooperate with a trade last offseason. 

Not only that, but it was rumored the meeting with Dan was a request for a trade to the 49ers.  Of course Kirk later squashed that and said he “just wanted to see where the team was at?”.  But that could mean a whole lot of things. It all depends on what you choose to believe.  Some would believe that’s Kirk’s meeting with Dan was merely an opportunity for Kirk to con Dan into believing he wanted to be a Redskin.  Other believe Kirk may have very well been of the belief that I heard you might trade me, here’s where I’ll willingly go. 

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

So Skins fans shouldn't expect too much from Alex Smith since he is coming from another team?  Let's be positive and give Alex a chance. 

We really shouldn't but maybe he can be different. I think the roster is worse already this year than last and I think we took a step back at QB too. All over we are a bit worse. It's hard for me to see anything good happening this season. Hope I'm wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

We really shouldn't but maybe he can be different. I think the roster is worse already this year than last and I think we took a step back at QB too. All over we are a bit worse. It's hard for me to see anything good happening this season. Hope I'm wrong. 

Lowered expectations can be a blessing....higher likelihood of being exceeded. 

I really don't see how anyone can be mad at Kirk directly for trying to maximize his net worth.  The FO put themselves in position for this to happen and it did.  The only thing that really annoys me from Kirk's side, is the choir boy pressers when everyone knows he's just blowing smoke (e.g. it's not about the money, that he wants to be here, etc.).  

It has always been about the money, or he would have offered/participated in long term contract negotiations as soon as they could instead of telling the team they wouldn't until the tag was applied (if it was a third time).  And don't get me wrong, it's ok to be all about the money, just ****ing say it and own it.  

Him not willing to start negotiating prior to a possible 3rd tag being applied also craps all over the "wanting to be here" talk.  If he truly wanted to be here, he would have tried.  Even if what they wanted was more than the team wanted to pay, if you love it here so much and want to be here, talk to the team/negotiate at minimum.  Ask for your 3 year, 90 million fully guaranteed contract at 30 mil/yr or what you think you are worth.  The worst the team could say is "no".  

That's really my only issue with him, regardless of how many players say the right things, etc. And it's not a big issue, I just like straight shooters and no fluff.  

29 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not going to go searching for links or quotes now. It was quite widely reported at the beginning of last offseason that teams were told the redskins weren't willing to engage in any cousins trade discussions. It came up again during the draft that teams were told the Redskins wouldn't answer calls on him.

It shouldn't be that hard to find if it was there, it took me 5 seconds to Google some keywords, all I could come up with was this:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/browns-laughed-report-kirk-cousins-trade-talks-redskins

Basically a fake report from Rappaport about a trade proposal that never happened.

29 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Easily.

Like Kirk saying several times that he wanted freedom to choose his team by reaching free agency? Or the fact his dad said he would have never done a deal before the 2017 season?

One thing about people complaining about players going for the dollars.  It's not going to last.

There's a reckoning coming to the NFL.

The popularity of the game is in decline and it won't be reversing.  The NFL contracts will be up in 3 years, think it's 3.  IF the ratings are still in freefall; there's no way the NFL increases their next TV contract. At best, they stay the same but there's a good chance the NFL makes less money off of the TV contracts the next time.

Fewer and Fewer people will want to play the game, seeing the long term health affects.

So, Kirk and etc.  can try to get the $$$$$$$$ now; they probably won't be able to later.  Frankly, it will not shock me if in a generation; there is no more football.

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to Thiesmann.  I'll give him this he has the most unique take on all of it.  He think Kirk is classy, great guy, did all the right things -- Dukes threw him some tough questions about Kirk and he defended Kirk across the board.   He defends the FO, too.  Loves the FO. Loves Kirk.  I'll give it to Joey T that he has the most unique take on all of this. 

Right, and if I remember my notes, that makes him #teambruce. Cause he definitly said there was some validation to the criticism and it's not a smear. 

22 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

It shouldn't be that hard to find if it was there, I just did a Google search and found this:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/browns-laughed-report-kirk-cousins-trade-talks-redskins

Basically a fake report from Rappaport about a trade proposal that never happened.

Like Kirk saying several times that he wanted freedom to choose his team by reaching free agency? Or the fact his dad said he would have never done a deal before the 2017 season?

1. Again, there were many reports, many of them radio reports from guys like Scheffer and Mort. It was common knowledge at the time. I really couldn't care less if you believe that now. I won't waste my time looking for reports that you will surely pretend are false anyway.

2. Whether or not Cleveland tried to talk trade with us during the draft has nothing to do with anything.

3. The fact that you apparently blindly believe a GM when they tell you they didn't try to trade for somebody is frankly kinda sad. And it's the kind of thing that's the reason I won't bother engaging further with you.

4. Ditto the "Kirk's dad" stuff.

Have a good day.

2 hours ago, UKskins said:

It makes you Team Allen. If you don't like Kirk then despite whatever views you may actually hold about Bruce Allen and the FO, they are disregarded as you must love them if you don't like Kirk. I think that's how this goes anyway - I'm in the same boat as you and have repeatedly been called out as loving the FO even though I patently don't and have explicitly said so numerous times.

Hey at least someone named batteredfan doesn’t besmirch your name constantly and publicly say things like everything you post is bullcrap like he does me. 

For the record I know damn well that some of the things I post here are bullcrap so he’s not ? wrong about that but not everything hahah :) 

To some I am the president of the FU Kirk Clubhouse because I speak my truth about this player and feelings about how he screwed the team I love. I know I’m not ? wrong about those feelings either because of the things the players who played with Kirk have said.

But regardless the same people saying what you did there - with Kirk or with Bruce - have me in the center of that hate circle ⭕️ they weave. It’s rather stupid to continue all of this Redskins fan on fan crime but eh I don’t think it’s ending even after lock. 

This is the onslaught of the Cult of Kirk that’s going to plague this team for the next two years minimum. We had it bad when Griffin was the topic that never ended. This could very well end up being worse especially if he’s successful elsewhere.

No ones ever asked me why I hope he fails elsewhere. That’s why, because if he goes on to have success elsewhere it will hurt all of the Nation for years to come. And I don’t like what he did to them. 

And that’s just my opinion. Everything is just my opinion, no one bought and paid for those opinions either including Bruce Allen believe it or not ?

22 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

One thing about people complaining about players going for the dollars.  It's not going to last.

There's a reckoning coming to the NFL.

The popularity of the game is in decline and it won't be reversing.  The NFL contracts will be up in 3 years, think it's 3.  IF the ratings are still in freefall; there's no way the NFL increases their next TV contract. At best, they stay the same but there's a good chance the NFL makes less money off of the TV contracts the next time.

Fewer and Fewer people will want to play the game, seeing the long term health affects.

So, Kirk and etc.  can try to get the $$$$$$$$ now; they probably won't be able to later.  Frankly, it will not shock me if in a generation; there is no more football.

naw. all that needs to happen is helmet technology. Football is the greatest sport ever conceived....its chess and wwe combined. No other sport compares

Hell ill watch if robots are playing and somehow there is a difference in players/teams, even if I'm watching from heaven....cause that's our reward, heaven

Damn, the 14th won't get here quick enough!

I'm so over this whole fiasco, and hope KC leaves ASAP and doesn't look back.

I hope when he plays against us, he reverts to his old habits of throwing pic-6s left and right.

I hope Bruce Allen develops amnesia and forgets where he works and heads to Oakland.

I hope KC's agent develops a lifetime attack of the crabs.

That should cover most everything...

11 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The fact that you apparently blindly believe a GM when they tell you they didn't try to trade for somebody is frankly kinda sad. And it's the kind of thing that's the reason I won't bother engaging further with you.

LOL, it always ends this way.

I look at every transaction as its own entity so when I discuss the Kirk ordeal I don't use past mistakes and immediately say its the FO.

You could do that and probably be right most of the time because it doesn't take a genius to realize that whatever we've been doing at Washington since Dan got here isn't working.

But there's more to this story, it will eventually come out.

As for trading Kirk there was speculation it could have been done in 2017,  lot of it centered on SF.  Judging by how teams are QB happy-needy and the Bills are getting a third rounder for Taylor and some speculate the Eagles could get a first for Foles -- I'd put money if they wanted to trade Kirk in 2017 they could have pulled it off.  That subject was even mentioned by a reporter (forgetting which one) as this was part of the tension between Bruce and Scot -- Scot wanted to trade him and Bruce did not.

Granted its speculation.  But it doesn't seem far fetched to me that as 24 million they could have unloaded Kirk.  At the very least for more than they are getting for Kirk now -- which is a 2019 3rd rounder which might end up being nothing depending on FA this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/07/18/adam-schefter-on-kirk-cousins-they-should-trade-him-right-now/?utm_term=.260dae4473fd

Schefter — who was speaking speculatively, as an NFL observer, not reporting or making predictions — referred to Monday’s ESPN.com piece by Bill Barnwell, which made the same case. Here’s Barnwell:

Washington is quickly running out of options. It can use the franchise tag on Cousins for a third time next year and make him the highest-paid quarterback in the league by a significant margin, which will mean it will have paid a quarterback who Allen & Co. didn’t believe was worth a long-term deal a record $78.4 million over three seasons and then be subject to the same long-term issues a year from now.

Washington can hope that Cousins changes his mind and suddenly wants to stay, which seems unlikely given that the organization just tried to take him down in its own public forum. More plausibly, the team will try to slap the transition tag on Cousins and be stuck facing down an offer it can’t match.

Barnwell’s noted the possibility Washington could lose Cousins with little, or even no compensation, and then asked, “With that in mind, does it make sense for Washington to try to be proactive about its future and trade Cousins now?”

“The best thing to do in my mind — I don’t think they’re going to do it — is to trade him to a team that you know could sign him, a team that’s willing to make that trade,” Schefter said. “Just like in the NBA, [where] we see those trades all the time. Paul George to Oklahoma City; you think Oklahoma City knowsthat it can sign Paul George? I don’t know. But I’ll tell you this: I’ll bet you the Rams think that they could sign Kirk Cousins.”

Schefter rattled off three potential trade partners — which again, were not reports, just him brainstorming live on air, having a bit of July fun. Maybe a deal involving the Rams and Jared Goff, or the 49ers and Brian Hoyer, or even the Lions and Matthew Stafford.

“The only places you can trade him are to places that truly believe and think that they’re going to be able to sign him long-term,” Schefter said. “Who are those places? Sean McVay [in L.A.], Kyle Shanahan [in San Francisco] and the state of Michigan, where he’s from.”

actually found it

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/10/report-ex-washington-gm-fired-for-wanting-to-trade-kirk-cousins/

Despite its public stance that Washington fired general manager Scot McCloughan for his drinking problems, the reason may have been related to Kirk Cousins.

McCloughan was actually let go for wanting to trade Cousins, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report.

“The real issue is that McCloughan clashed over football decisions with team president Bruce Allen and coach Jay Gruden,” reported Cole, a longtime NFL insider. “McCloughan had planned to trade Kirk Cousins this offseason, pursue a veteran and draft another quarterback. However, Allen and Gruden wanted none of that plan.”

49 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

To some I am the president of the FU Kirk Clubhouse because I speak my truth about this player and feelings about how he screwed the team I love. 

nah, now you're back to opinion again.

you told someone earlier they needed to get out more, maybe you just need to "reference" more. 

start here -

dictionary.com

On 3/11/2018 at 6:49 PM, Birdlives said:

Watching the NFL network Saint/Skins game. Kirk had a tendency to panic but as he’s matured he’s overcoming that. So stupid that we didn’t sign him.

From the first year we drafted him,we never gave him the credit he earned or deserved..Kirk was never given any respect at the position he played-was he perfect,of coarse not but he carried himself as a pro and tried to become better each season..the team never showed him any confidence no matter how he played a game..he never complained or was a distraction,never threatened to sit out..he showed up and did the best that he could with the parts that were around him..he’ll never be confused with Brady,Brees,or Manning(Peyton,not Eli-lol)but he’s a capable,above average QB that most teams would kill to have..Our front office never gave him the credit he deserved-everyone forgets that he came off the bench and quickly made us forget about RG-ME and the drama that came along with that fiasco..We didn’t treat him right and then blame him for not giving our team the respect by sticking around..Bruce can sit in press conferences and call him the wrong name,our coach can throw him under the bus by blaming him for not coming thru in a game,like the other 52 guys on the team had nothing to do with that..it’s all KC fault that our defense couldn’t stop tha run,tackle or blow the lead that he put us up by..or better yet it was his fault the our receivers kept dropping their passes that hit em in the numbers,or the running back not holding onto the ball!!..do I think Kc is worth 30+ mil a year-not at all..but if I was him I’d put my mark so high that I’d make damn sure that his former team that treated him tha way we did would have no chance in hell to be able to afford to bring me back to be treated that way ever again..the team that pays that man is gonna prove to him that they believe in him and that he’s worth bringing him there..he’s not the next teams savior but he’s gonna definitely be a major part of their success!!!..Good Luck KC,you won’t be perfect but you’re gonna be good enough(and that’s all I think he wanted to be treated as!!)

7 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You don't seem to understand how market value works. But good luck going into a restaurant that sells a steak dinner for $20 and telling them "I don't think it's going to be that good, so give it to me for 10".

No....I do know how the market works and that was a terrible analogy. I always research where I get my steaks, I like prime dry aged and cooked a specific way. If that restaurant doesn't have that type of steak and I know it sucks, I don't pay the money.

Archived