Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

New rumor being reported that the Vikings may not have the money for KC.

Zimmer already talked about how important their defense is and that he wouldn't want to risk having to cut corners there or lose people for financial reasons, aka giving one dude an enormous record breaking contract. I continue to be dubious abut the Vikings landing Kirk at anywhere near what he's rumored to want.

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

New rumor being reported that the Vikings may not have the money for KC.

The $90M guaranteed might be out the window because teams are required to put all guaranteed money into escrow, and Vikings ownership isn’t wealthy enough to simply cut a $90 million check and be done with it. I hear now that it's around $27M a year but don't know how many or the guarantee.

8 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

The $90M guaranteed might be out the window because teams are required to put all guaranteed money into escrow, and Vikings ownership isn’t wealthy enough to simply cut a $90 million check and be done with it. I hear now that it's around $27M a year but don't know how many or the guarantee.

I would have alot to say about Kirk Cousins if he ends up going to free agency and doesn't get the money he wants. 

Effectively screwing us cause his ego was higher than his value. Ima wait till that happens but if it does ima have A LOT to say about this guy. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I would have alot to say about Kirk Cousins if he ends up going to free agency and doesn't get the money he wants. 

Effectively screwing us cause his ego was higher than his value. Ima wait till that happens but if it does ima have A LOT to say about this guy. 

Of course If he doesn't get enough, he's a **** who screwed the Redskins. If he does get enough, then he's greedy and cares only about money. You can blame him either way. Isn't that convenient?

How about this- when he gets significantly more that the Redskins best offer of another 4 years, 86 mil with 29 guaranteed, then that's proof that the Redskins' offer was a joke and he was smart to scoff at it? Because that's the truth.

4 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Of course If he doesn't get enough, he's a **** who screwed the Redskins. If he does get enough, then he's greedy and cares only about money. You can blame him either way. Isn't that convenient?

How about this- when he gets significantly more that the Redskins best offer of another 4 years, 86 mil with 29 guaranteed, then that's proof that the Redskins' offer was a joke and he was smart to scoff at it? Because that's the truth.

Well yea I never denied the Redskins FO is **** now did I? 

I won't blame him for getting paid. I already think he's greedy, sure. I can do that as a sports fan. But I won't blame him just like I didn't blame Garcon or Djax for leaving for the money. He's out there now I hope he gets the money almost for the players sake. My problem was US giving it to him. Now that it's not our problem I don't care whose money he takes. 

However, if he leaves and causes all this drama for anything less than a small fortune Ima have alot of words for the dude. 

4 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I agree with you that depending on what he signs for it can be interpreted as a negative for him, but disagree that we should make anything out of what the Redskins offered like you have stated there.

Everyone looks at negotiation differently. I buy a lot of collectibles on eBay, when I see something I want to buy but don’t like the price I like to start an offer off low (65-70 % of the list price) and listen to the counter offer. If it’s something I can live with I accept the counter and the item is mine. Most of the sellers who reject immediately and don’t counter I end up seeing the items still for sale a month or two later. 

Buyers want to buy as low as possible, sellers want to get as much as possible. 

Some sellers I’ve dealt with get annoyed by the initial offer and don’t counter and just reject. Some sellers like the back and forth and have no issue with the offers. I can tell you that the more willing the seller is to deal with the more likely the item they are selling gets sold. This is after buying 1000s of items and figure it just depends on the item and the sellers preference for selling price.

In the NFL with the items being the players themselves I’ve never heard or seen any player treating contract negotiations like Kirk did. When he got an offer he didn’t counter and just rejected it. Does that mean that the Redskins only low balled him as your saying or was it a starting point to striking a deal? Does that mean they were a million apart or twenty million or more apart? We don’t really know

Obv we know they didn’t get a deal done but does anyone know how high the team was going to go to get something done? I don’t think so. There are too many unknowns here

What it came down to was like JP Finley was saying in his last podcast that no one should think that Kirk was willing to stay here. If he was he would have countered that offer you mentioned.

The Kirk camp wasn’t into countering because they didn’t want to stay here. No matter what the team offered Kirk was seeing free agency. And as a seller that’s his choice. I just don’t buy the narrative that the team low balled him and that’s why nothing got done

It takes two to get something done. If a guy wants to go and not sell and not negotiate then is that the teams fault? No NFL player is handed a blank check. Once Kirk said he was not negotiating until free agency started the writing was undeniable he was leaving. The team should have figured that out sooner and traded him last season, but they were optimistic something would get done. I don’t fault them for that because I followed what Kirk was saying publicly at the time. Had he said that last year they would have traded him when they could have. He didn’t he wanted control so he screwed the team. And that’s why so many negative comments have come out by players about him since the truth was said by players on the team like Hall and Thompson. They were fooled as well

5 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I agree with you that depending on what he signs for it can be interpreted as a negative for him, but disagree that we should make anything out of what the Redskins offered like you have stated there.

Everyone looks at negotiation differently. I buy a lot of collectibles on eBay, when I see something I want to buy but don’t like the price I like to start an offer off low (65-70 % of the list price) and listen to the counter offer. If it’s something I can live with I accept the counter and the item is mine. Most of the sellers who reject immediately and don’t counter I end up seeing the items still for sale a month or two later. 

Buyers want to buy as low as possible, sellers want to get as much as possible. 

Edit

And that’s why so many negative comments have come out by players about him since the truth was said by players on the team like Hall and Thompson. They were fooled as well

And again we kind of skip through some the more critical details. 

First, it was the team that decided not to negotiate first when Kirk and his agent made a $19M/yr for 3 yr offer. I agree Kirk should have responded to the offer last year but the team owns not negotiating from the very beginning, instead electing on tagging Kirk. Then when they did make their offer (more on this later), Kirk rejected it electing to play on the tag. So why is it good business for the team to elect not to negotiate and tag Kirk but it's unacceptable for Kirk to do the exact same thing? 

Next, the whole negotiating thing. As someone who actually did sell cars for 3.5 yrs (yes I hated it enough that it sent me to school for an engineering degree but I was decently successful), there are some people on both sides that like the process and enjoy the negotiation. That is much easier when talking the lower $ items on EBay. But when you are making a living at it, you really are just not going to waste your time with people that give you what you feel - and this is key - what you feel is a ridiculously low offer. Now, if they come back with a more reasonable offer it shows they are serious about buying. If they don't, even if they do want to buy something it is unlikely to worth the time. Did I miss a few sales with this approach? Provably. But I also left myself open to make other sales. We on this board can have our own opinions about if the offer was a low ball offer or not. But the only opinion that matters is Kirk's. He felt he was being low balled. 

You are working under the assumption that he decided he didn't want to be here before the offer and no matter what offer it would not have been enough. That's certainly possible. However, it's also equally possible that by the time they made the offer - and Kirk feeling it was entirely too low - that is in fact what made him decide that he did want to stay here. All we can go is by the facts we know - which are Kirk's team gave the redskins an offer and they elected to tag him without even negotiating. From there the story is a bit murky but that's where the relationship started to deteriorate. This leads to the real point here. 

The fact is the team had several opportunities to make this work but elected to make other choices. Honestly for me that's fine if that's what they truly believed. The issue is and will always be - and the one most of you who are glad Kirk is gone - and please do not insult everyone here by saying you hoped he stayed, you have been on his ass since day one - continue to miss is that they clearly were never sold on Kirk. Why did they not have a better plan? I think you will find that outside a few that like Kirk as much or more than the team - many of us that are not happy with how this went down are Redskins fans first. iIf they didn't believe in him, why was there not a better plan B? It was either out of arrogance or incompetence. Neither are good. 

I'm going to ask an extreme hypothetical here. I'm not saying that I want this to happen, but let's just entertain the possibility, however unlikely it might be. What happens if nobody signs Cousins? There are a few teams still in need:

Bills, Jets, Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals

There are a few good quarterbacks on the market or possible on the market via trade:

Cousins, Foles, Keenum, Bridgewater, McCarron, Bradford

And then, of course, there are QBs who are highly regarded in the draft. I'm not altogether convinced that Foles thrives away from that amazing coaching in Philadelphia. Same for Keenum. But teams tend to pay big today for yesterday's big-time performances. The Eagles are very high on Sudfeld, and might ship Foles if a team comes calling with a ridiculous offer. I think Keenum stays put in Minnesota, and they concentrate on strengthening the O-line. Zimmer loves Bridgewater; doubt he leaves. Let's say McCarron goes to the Jets, and Denver goes with Bradford and drafts a QB. The Bills draft two QBs. Foles may wind up in Arizona. Where does that leave Cousins? Is this too far-fetched a possibility?

@goskins

you are missing a critical point with your car analogy... the Redskins were the only customer in town.. he was on an exclusive tag - so he simply could not move on to the next customer . If he wanted to make a deal then it was with the skins ...and he waited until the very last minute to walk away ... he attended every OTA every offseason activity never even came close to threatening a hold out ... but still in the end refused to even give a figure ... and the reason you don’t counter in these conditions is the team might accept it .... 

you refer back to the $19 mil 3 year deal the team refused to discuss - but that was in effect the counter to the first offer that he an his agent made to the offer the team made after the Chicago game in 2015 ... 

And also 3 years ? Seriously no one is going to sign a starting QB for three years ? It’s not so much the value of the  deal that is the issue but the lack of commitment....

The mistake the the team made was using the wrong tag in 15 - if they knew they were going to have to tag him they should have tradition tagged him ... and then they could have found his actual market value ... 

11 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I'm going to ask an extreme hypothetical here. I'm not saying that I want this to happen, but let's just entertain the possibility, however unlikely it might be. What happens if nobody signs Cousins? There are a few teams still in need:

Bills, Jets, Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals

There are a few good quarterbacks on the market or possible on the market via trade:

Cousins, Foles, Keenum, Bridgewater, McCarron, Bradford

And then, of course, there are QBs who are highly regarded in the draft. I'm not altogether convinced that Foles thrives away from that amazing coaching in Philadelphia. Same for Keenum. But teams tend to pay big today for yesterday's big-time performances. The Eagles are very high on Sudfeld, and might ship Foles if a team comes calling with a ridiculous offer. I think Keenum stays put in Minnesota, and they concentrate on strengthening the O-line. Zimmer loves Bridgewater; doubt he leaves. Let's say McCarron goes to the Jets, and Denver goes with Bradford and drafts a QB. The Bills draft two QBs. Foles may wind up in Arizona. Where does that leave Cousins? Is this too far-fetched a possibility?

Nothing is impossible. But I would say it's highly unlikely. The more likely scenario is that the market for Kirk may not give him as a high a contract right now due to the many other options. In that case there are very likely to be injuries so Kirk would get signed then.

It's fair question as it's not impossible - but I would be really surprised if he is not signed within the first few days of free agency. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Nothing is impossible. But I would say it's highly unlikely. The more likely scenario is that the market for Kirk may not give him as a high a contract right now due to the many other options. In that case there are very likely to be injuries so Kirk would get signed then.

It's fair question as it's not impossible - but I would be really surprised if he is not signed within the first few days of free agency. 

Seems like they're all waiting for him to sign before they (Rodgers, Brees) finalize deals with their teams. Those dominoes should start to fall soon.

There was a pretty spirited debate on PFT this morning which is always hard to watch because of Floria.  However, some of it made sense.  I highly doubt KC doesn't have a team in your scenario but here was the speculation on PFT.  KC is going to have to act fast, because the way this QB market is shaping out, teams are going to want immediate answers so they can move on to the next guy.  They were pointing out that Brees is free to negotiate at noon and somebody is coming in with a big offer.  Not likely he leaves N.O. but it'll give them a match contract amount.  Meanwhile, they think Vikings could be using KC to get Keenum in to a reasonable contract because of the financial issues with guarantees and need to keep their defense together.  They speculate Denver signing KC would mean they'd have too much % dollars in 2 players - Miller and KC.  They were leaning Jets which makes the most sense given their cap flexibility.

All speculation until it happens but he will have options.

10 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

There was a pretty spirited debate on PFT this morning which is always hard to watch because of Floria.  However, some of it made sense.  I highly doubt KC doesn't have a team in your scenario but here was the speculation on PFT.  KC is going to have to act fast, because the way this QB market is shaping out, teams are going to want immediate answers so they can move on to the next guy.  They were pointing out that Brees is free to negotiate at noon and somebody is coming in with a big offer.  Not likely he leaves N.O. but it'll give them a match contract amount.  Meanwhile, they think Vikings could be using KC to get Keenum in to a reasonable contract because of the financial issues with guarantees and need to keep their defense together.  They speculate Denver signing KC would mean they'd have too much % dollars in 2 players - Miller and KC.  They were leaning Jets which makes the most sense given their cap flexibility.

All speculation until it happens but he will have options.

They have the most money.  It will be interesting to see if, in fact it is the Jets that signs him.  KC said it wasn't about the money, well in the next day or so we shall find out.

6 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The offer only becomes a joke if he earns it.......when that happens it becomes the truth. 

11 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

@goskins

you are missing a critical point with your car analogy... the Redskins were the only customer in town.. he was on an exclusive tag - so he simply could not move on to the next customer . If he wanted to make a deal then it was with the skins ...and he waited until the very last minute to walk away ... he attended every OTA every offseason activity never even came close to threatening a hold out ... but still in the end refused to even give a figure ... and the reason you don’t counter in these conditions is the team might accept it .... 

you refer back to the $19 mil 3 year deal the team refused to discuss - but that was in effect the counter to the first offer that he an his agent made to the offer the team made after the Chicago game in 2015 ... 

And also 3 years ? Seriously no one is going to sign a starting QB for three years ? It’s not so much the value of the  deal that is the issue but the lack of commitment....

The mistake the the team made was using the wrong tag in 15 - if they knew they were going to have to tag him they should have tradition tagged him ... and then they could have found his actual market value ... 

I am not missing anything. While he could only negotiate with the Redskins that year, he could indeed move on by signing the tag and waiting it out. I believe that is exactly what happened. Not trying to be a smart ass here but unless i missed something he will indeed be moving on from the Redskins. 

So the team made an offer - if I remember right it was about $15M/yr after the Chicago game. which BTW I believe the $15M/yr offer as for 3 yrs. Bruce is notorious for not wanting to be tied to a player more than 2 yrs - hence the last offer was for 2 yrs fully guaranteed then injury guarantees for one more season - 3 yrs. Kirk's agent told him to play out the season that he felt they could do better. It was not a flat out rejection - it was lets negotiate after the season is over. 

Kirk's team makes a counter offer. The team did not respond to that offer but instead tagged him - and you are saying that the offer made by Kirk's team was ridiculous? I thought from the beginning your premise was there is a back and forth and that no offer is ridiculous? The team made an offer. Kirk's team presented a counter proposal. I thought that how negotiations worked - one person provides an offer the then other counters and so goes the negotiation until an agreement is made? In fact the team shut down negotiations without seriously considering Kirk's offer. That was the beginning of the end. . 

To that end, let's just say for the sake of argument that the poor team was just taken advantage of by the mean, spiteful and greedy player in Kirk Cousins (not saying you have used those terms but I have seen them here by others). It continues to ignore the main point here - they did not have a good plan B. Where was the plan B? They are getting paid to see this coming. When the team decided to tag Kirk instead of negotiate with him after the $19M/yr offer, why was there not a plan B put in place to at least get something out of him? 

How can you have a legitimate starting NFL QB - and get virtually nothing for him when other teams are able to get top round draft picks and young players when they decide to move on from theirs? That is and will remain the point here regardless of if the offers by Kirk were crazy of the team were ridiculous. The fact is negotiations broke down and the team did nothing about it until it cost them major resources to find a stop gap - I like Alex but to expect him to play at a high level for more then 3 yrs is asking a lot. I do not hate the trade but would have preferred they just go with Colt and start looking for the long term solution. This reeks of desperation - due them not having a solid plan B. 

14 hours ago, Llevron said:

Who do you hope is more successful in the next 5 years? Smith or Cousins? 

A few of y'all bout to lie to me. 

I'll try not to lie to you. I can't cheer against the Skins, but I want the FO brutally punished for this and MANY other things. Brutally!!!!!!!  The only thing I can think of to accomplish this is a SB for Kirk and 1-15 for us next year.  All the other things I want them punished for are probably too far under the bridge to have an impact, so it all rides on this. If 1-15 wouldn't accomplish this then I guess its just college ball for me. Done with the NFL.

Watching Kirk in my purple dye Cousin's jersey would only be fun as long as he is bleeding BA out. So for next year, yeah, I hope Cousins rips the league up. After that I hope the FO is gutted and we win 12 straight SBs.

Biggest factor to me that's gonna be hard to duplicate?  Cousins' durability.  He NEVER missed a game. 

It seems inevitable that an older QB like Smith, who likes to scramble when plays break down, will not be able to sustain this.  To me that's the biggest reason I think McCoy is safe for this season.

1 minute ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I'll try not to lie to you. I can't cheer against the Skins, but I want the FO brutally punished for this and MANY other things. Brutally!!!!!!!  The only thing I can think of to accomplish this is a SB for Kirk and 1-15 for us next year.  All the other things I want them punished for are probably too far under the bridge to have an impact, so it all rides on this. If 1-15 wouldn't accomplish this then I guess its just college ball for me. Done with the NFL.

Watching Kirk in my purple dye Cousin's jersey would only be fun as long as he is bleeding BA out. So for next year, yeah, I hope Cousins rips the league up. After that I hope the FO is gutted and we win 12 straight SBs.

Its a shame its really this bad but that is not a unreasonable feeling imho. I still hope whats-his-face-we just-signed is the one and takes us to the promised land. No one sees it coming and we dominate for years. But I honestly do understand how you and many feel. 

I personally feel like its KC versus the skins (and it kinda has been for like 2 years) and I want us to win. I am admittedly more against Cuz than I am for the skins at this point. Which is sick lol. The only thing that had me rooting for the guy was his success meant ours. Now that thats not it I want him to flame out just like I wanted Griffins dumb ass to when he when to Cleveland. CLEVELAND. How many ways can you ask for your career to end? 

Its what they do to us, bro

3 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Biggest factor to me that's gonna be hard to duplicate?  Cousins' durability.  He NEVER missed a game. 

It seems inevitable that an older QB like Smith, who likes to scramble when plays break down, will not be able to sustain this.  To me that's the biggest reason I think McCoy is safe for this season.

His availability was a huge factor in his success that I think is pretty underrated. I honestly think thats what got him the job and his play is what kept it. 

45 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Its a shame its really this bad but that is not a unreasonable feeling imho. I still hope whats-his-face-we just-signed is the one and takes us to the promised land. No one sees it coming and we dominate for years. But I honestly do understand how you and many feel. 

I personally feel like its KC versus the skins (and it kinda has been for like 2 years) and I want us to win. I am admittedly more against Cuz than I am for the skins at this point. Which is sick lol. The only thing that had me rooting for the guy was his success meant ours. Now that thats not it I want him to flame out just like I wanted Griffins dumb ass to when he when to Cleveland. CLEVELAND. How many ways can you ask for your career to end? 

Its what they do to us, bro

His availability was a huge factor in his success that I think is pretty underrated. I honestly think thats what got him the job and his play is what kept it. 

First, I say the following to present my own thoughts not to cast judgement on yours. Everyone feels differently and they 100% have the right to feel that way. So please take my comments in that vein.

I really don't get the anger at Kirk. It seems like a waste of energy for me. I have already stated that once he is not a Redskin - my interest is minimal. But I certainly don't hate the guy or wish him ill will - unless he plays Washington. Then I want 4 int less than 100 yds and totally miserable day. 

For the record I didn't root against Robert either. I was hoping he did well in Cleveland - both for him and the long suffering fans of Cleveland. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

First, I say the following to present my own thoughts not to cast judgement on yours. Everyone feels differently and they 100% have the right to feel that way. So please take my comments in that vein.

I really don't get the anger at Kirk. It seems like a waste of energy for me. I have already stated that once he is not a Redskin - my interest is minimal. But I certainly don't hate the guy or wish him ill will - unless he plays Washington. Then I want 4 int less than 100 yds and totally miserable day. 

For the record I didn't root against Robert either. I was hoping he did well in Cleveland - both for him and the long suffering fans of Cleveland. 

I'm kinda with you. I'll be happy for Kirk when he gets the contract he's seeking. I'm also happy he's not getting it from the Skins.

As far as his success going forward, I hope he's good. I don't want him to win Super Bowls, and I don't want him to stink. I wish a nice average career for Kirk going forward.

19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree its a waste of energy. No more so than being a sports fan in general though to be honest. And I dont put alot of energy into either right now. I tend to root against pretty much anything not Redskins, Wiz, Caps or Nats though. Andrew luck, Wilson, Rodgers, Brady, Griff once he left, McNabb......Lebron, Kyrie, DURANT curry. On and on. Cuz will just be the next in a long long line. The only guy I can say I didn't root against was Jason Campbell cause he looks like Billy D Williams and hes always had this lovable loser thing going on. I wish yall knew how much I hate Javale Mcgee right now. 

Once hes out of here the most attention he will get from me is arguing with you guys (cause I enjoy it, obviously) and seeing if he had a laughable performance. If he kills it I wont be checking in as much cause then I would be wrong and who wants that ****. 

I literally hope every player that leaves here fails horribly without exception and it has never been personal or so serious that I actually keep up with them past a few games. Honestly the most energy I put into it is these posts now that I think about it. 

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I hope he wins Super Bowls.

Not so much for him, but for the well deserved public shaming of DanBruce. 

A lot of people feel that way.

I want the team to be right on this one and every other decision they make this offseason.

Archived