Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

12 hours ago, skins island connection said:

It makes total sense.

Smith, although is the starter, would be a good mentor for a rookie QB.  Imagine that; a flashback to the Gibbs I era where he stashes a QB to groom him.  It would be in good timing too, a couple years while the rest of the team is re-built, and it would free up some of Gruden's time by letting Smith bring him up to speed.

Great in theory if the head coach was guaranteed to stay to see the plan through. Unfortunately though most teams think this way works only to replace the head coach with another when they want a scapegoat which only leaves the grooming backup as a problem for the next coach, ala Jay inheriting the Cousins and Griffin mess.

I don’t have any faith in Dan kicking the real problem here - Bruce - to the curb and staying with Jay if this season goes south. I like Jay, I think he’s an underrated coach and would love to see a multi year extension given to him and the vote of confidence it would mean. 

So outside of raiding a QB from the practice squad of another team I don’t think we can think this way or use draft capital on a QB to groom yet. Don’t want the next guy to have to deal with what Jay got when he arrived, it just makes it much harder for the new coach to succeed 

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

I really don't understand all the fuss about Kirk at this point. Did he win playoff games and Super Bowls that I somehow missed out on? He was a good QB for us, but now we have another good QB. Maybe it's time to let go of his leg as he skips towards big FA money and that long-term deal he wants? because he sure doesn't want anything to do with us. So bye now. 

I've moved on, FO failed and put the team in a situation that made it impossible for Kirk to sign a LTD (because of the lowball offers and 1 year tag salaries).  He's free and we are signing ASmith on March 14th.  

That doesn't mean people can't be pissed at the FO or in general that they let a franchise QB walk for nothing.  The writing on the wall was there in 2016 when they offered him 16 mil/yr and they said no, we want what the tag is paying us, even for a LTD.  Anyone and everybody, including the FO should have seen what was going to come out of this if they didn't offer him 20 mil/yr back in 2016.  But they screwed it up.  Then again in 2017 when they should have traded him and gotten something in return.  

No, he didn't win a playoff game or Super Bowl, but he has been the best QB we have had in a long time and could have been signed for 10 million/yr less than he will get this year.  Sure Alex will be cheaper this year and even with his extension (23 mil/yr) the next four years.  But that's the whole point of the continued complaining about the FO.  They never look at the big picture and live in the now.  

They had a chance to lock up a younger QB, at less money over time, one that knows the system, coaches, players, etc. and had been breaking team records.  They failed because they live in the now and fail to adjust like the majority of the other 29 teams do.  

With that said, I'm glad all the hoopla is over, I'm glad we have a QB locked up for at least 3 more years (or 5 if he makes it the entire length of his extension).  Kirk didn't want to be here, didn't want to help the team in a tag and trade (not that he should), so bye Felicia.  

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Amusing article at least for me.  It's one way to look at it Kirk escaped the dungeon.  We can't.  Like BFS said its in the blood. :)

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/8/kirk-cousins-gets-parting-shots-he-leaves/

Everyone else is stuck at Redskins Park.

Think of Cousins’ departure like an inmate being released from prison. Those he leaves behind are angry, because they can’t leave.

Those fans kicking Cousins — who never did anything to disgrace this franchise, unlike the warden, Bruce Allen, the Prince of Darkness — don’t really have the option of free agency. For fans, this is their team, and they’re stuck with it. They’re stuck with Dan Snyder and the Prince of Darkness and the dysfunction and deceit.

They see Cousins leaving, and deep down, some wish they could walk out the door with him and give their devotion to another team.

But they can’t, really. They are burdened with that commitment to the Washington Redskins that Cousins now allegedly never truly had.

That was the narrative pushed Tuesday by Little Brucie — Redskins safety DeAngelo Hall, who maybe believes he is going to run this team someday — in his appearance on ESPN.

A very nice piece, thanks for posting it.  Although the author is wrong about 1 key point it is possible for fans to follow Kirk out the door.  I am not going disavow the Skins as I had thought but and posted here, but unless Kirk makes a bad pick I will be following his new team also because doing so holds out the possibility of unmitigated NFL fun.

13 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

So Kirk gets 50 million from Washington and runs happily, but fans who get not one dime "can't ever leave" when so unhappy? 

Well that's.. twisted. 

It’s like Hotel California.  You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave....

I think we as a group idolize these players a little too much and it hurts us as a fan base to be honest. It should be the fans and the Skins and thats it. Ownership be damnbed. Players be Damned if need be. Other teams. Hell even the record. I feel like that would be a much more healthy environment. 

Random thought. Much less to do with Kirk and more to do with us. 

2 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

It’s like Hotel California.  You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave....

Sadly, there may be something to that theory because I was adamant that I was done if they lost Cousins and now I find myself waiting to see where Kirk goes and intending to follow his new team but also hopeful that Skins will move forward to success and intending to continue to follow the Skins too.  

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

But there's still time to get this thread to 100 pages.

Damn right. When news starts to filter out before the 14th of destinations and numbers we'll go back to square one and have a rapid run through of the whole debate again...:rofl89:

Locking down the thread in 35 minutes so my final thoughts are I hope Dan Snyder learns from this experience don't overreach in the draft or FA as they have done in the past but also don't wait until it is too late to recognize the talent on the roster.  Throughout his ownership, Snyder has blundered by overreaching for what he perceives as great talent and suffered a number of big costly free agent flops for his trouble.  This past season it looked like Snyder paid way to much for Norman but at this point Norman looks a lot better the Fat Albert deal and some of the end of career cashouts he has got in FA.  Then, of course, the biggest draft screw up of all time in 2012.

We are now witnessing the franchise lose the actual franchise quarterback they acquired in the draft two years after the bust they paid 3 firsts and 1 second for was unceremoniously dropped from the roster before flopping in Cleveland.  Mercifully Griffin is out of the league with his faculties still intact and if he has any sense he will find other pursuits and keep his faculties intact because he doesn't have an NFL QB mind and will only succeed in getting himself injured again if he pursues another NFL chance.

Synder's mistake this time is his failure to recognize talent on his own roster.  Even if you forgive him for his stupid Griffin selection and the frustrating 3-year force fit attempt that followed there really is no excuse for Snyder's failure to embrace Cousins.  I don't know if Snyder recognizes Kirk's talent today.  Maybe Snyder does but he took too long in seeing it that Kirk just didn't want to but up with him anymore.  In any case, Snyder needs to learn from this experience and embrace any one of his draft choices that blossoms in the future.  Snyder looks like an idiot when the part of the 2012 draft that worked out walks out on Snyder.   I think Cousins will hold up the Lombardi trophy soon and when he does Synder is going to look stupid all over again.

9 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Locking down the thread in 35 minutes

Umm, no.

The thread locks on the 14th at 4pm which is the start of Free Agency, at which point he'll officially be a former Redskin. :)

My final thoughts.

Still hate the Smith trade. Would rather have the pick and Fuller and be looking for a QB. Just another bad patch job that gets us no nearer a franchise QB. Also, complete buyer beware when trading for an Andy Reid QB. They always seem to fail after they get traded. Kolb, McNabb, Foles, Feeley. I don't understand why other NFL teams haven't figured this out.

The biggest mistake to me was tagging him last year as an exclusive franchise player. They should've gone non-exclusive and let someone sign him/let him shop himself. My guess is SF would've signed him after the draft so they wouldn't have to give up their #2 overall, but would've been fine with the next 2 years of 1st round picks projecting them in the 15-25 range.

The next big mistake was not trading him at the trade deadline last season. There were clearly teams looking to trade, they clearly were willing to give up high picks. I wonder what SF would've given up if they gave a 2 for an unproven Jimmy G. I think a 1 is entirely likely. What about Cleveland? I wonder if they'd of gotten into the bidding. By then we were not going anywhere with the injuries piling up and the eagles smashing everyone.

We'd now be going into the offseason with SF's 1st and our much higher pick, plus Fuller and our 3rd. When was the trade deadline last year? Late October? Maybe we go winless after that and end up 3-13? We end up at 2 instead of the giants? I bet we could've drafted our next QB this year.

Instead we give up draft picks and good players to get a QB and we'll likely get nothing for Cousins in the end. Just terrible forethought by Allen and Snyder. I wish we could fire them both.

That's my two cents.

I hope Kirk goes with the Browns... A very losing team that could be on the uprise.. I would have no problem intentionally watching Browns games and rooting for the Browns if Kirk goes to Cleveland... I really wish I knew the exact truth between Kirk Cousins and the Washington Redskins...

1 hour ago, TK said:

Umm, no.

The thread locks on the 14th at 4pm which is the start of Free Agency, at which point he'll officially be a former Redskin. :)

Oops!  Thank you for pointing out my mistake.  With the proper deadline in I reserve the right to amend my remarks....:-)

44 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

My final thoughts.

Still hate the Smith trade. Would rather have the pick and Fuller and be looking for a QB. Just another bad patch job that gets us no nearer a franchise QB. Also, complete buyer beware when trading for an Andy Reid QB. They always seem to fail after they get traded. Kolb, McNabb, Foles, Feeley. I don't understand why other NFL teams haven't figured this out.

The biggest mistake to me was tagging him last year as an exclusive franchise player. They should've gone non-exclusive and let someone sign him/let him shop himself. My guess is SF would've signed him after the draft so they wouldn't have to give up their #2 overall, but would've been fine with the next 2 years of 1st round picks projecting them in the 15-25 range.

The next big mistake was not trading him at the trade deadline last season. There were clearly teams looking to trade, they clearly were willing to give up high picks. I wonder what SF would've given up if they gave a 2 for an unproven Jimmy G. I think a 1 is entirely likely. What about Cleveland? I wonder if they'd of gotten into the bidding. By then we were not going anywhere with the injuries piling up and the eagles smashing everyone.

We'd now be going into the offseason with SF's 1st and our much higher pick, plus Fuller and our 3rd. When was the trade deadline last year? Late October? Maybe we go winless after that and end up 3-13? We end up at 2 instead of the giants? I bet we could've drafted our next QB this year.

Instead we give up draft picks and good players to get a QB and we'll likely get nothing for Cousins in the end. Just terrible forethought by Allen and Snyder. I wish we could fire them both.

That's my two cents.

I guess the question would be did Kirk tell them he would do a deal behind closed doors. Did he say he planned on staying? Kirk and Mcarthey may have played this from the beginning. 

Archived