Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

Yea I would prefer the team to be right over seeing Cuz win. Hell i would settle for them being lucky. I would never root for an ex player over the team. Even Fletcher would get the finger if he was with another squad and I loved that man. 

50 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It might 'feel' that way, but trust me - this is not what you want.  Unless lucky makes it to a Lombardi, it's the worst thing that could possibly happen. 

Oh that's exactly what I mean. 9-7 slide into the playoffs and then a Joe Flacco like take over and never do it again. I'll accept the DanBruce if it ends in our 4th. 

But that's it. 

Look at the FA out there..Suh, Mo, Robinson....with Cap space we can shore up the D with moderate spending..yea..they were released from big contracts because they didn't perform...there may be some affordable help we can get with that "Saved" 13Mil for 2018.

I'm going to see what happens in the next 2 weeks before I organize a lynching party for the FO

Seems teams are hedging their bets a bit on the "QB who shall not be named" who wants 100% guaranteed $$ (If you believe the reporting). Market may be thinning

17 hours ago, Llevron said:

Who do you hope is more successful in the next 5 years? Smith or Cousins? 

A few of y'all bout to lie to me. 

I don't know this is the first time I may have two teams, I'll have to see which one I will be more invested in as it plays out.  Daniel Synder's mismanagement has drained me but maybe not as completely as I thought because I find myself curious about who they will draft and how Smith will work out.  Also, I do know I will only be interested in Kirk's team if he makes a suitable choice.  

I don't have any interest in following another poorly run team so I am not going to follow the Browns if decides to pocket a huge sum to go to Cleveland.  I'm skeptical of the Jets and tepid about the Broncos, I want to follow him to team really posed to win.  Minnesota looks like the place to go and I hope that is what happens.  If Cousins chooses poorly I will just follow the Skins and bail if they suck.  

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

Well yea I never denied the Redskins FO is **** now did I? 

Bruce Allen chose to turn our team's top asset into nothing, and to spin it as Cousins' fault because he was greedy, etc.

Guys like you  are spreading Bruce's spin for him, are spending most of their time here to tell us why Kirk is the big, mean villain. Then, when challenged, throw in the occasional "oh, I hate the FO too", but that is just an attempt at cover. You're doing Allen's bidding, whether you realize it or not. 

50 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I don't know this is the first time I may have two teams, I'll have to see which one I will be more invested in as it plays out.  Daniel Synder's mismanagement has drained me but maybe not as completely as I thought because I find myself curious about who they will draft and how Smith will work out.  Also, I do know I will only be interested in Kirk's team if he makes a suitable choice.  

I don't have any interest in following another poorly run team so I am not going to follow the Browns if decides to pocket a huge sum to go to Cleveland.  I'm skeptical of the Jets and tepid about the Broncos, I want to follow him to team really posed to win.  Minnesota looks like the place to go and I hope that is what happens.  If Cousins chooses poorly I will just follow the Skins and bail if they suck.  

I will be interested to see what he does if he goes to the Vikes one way or the other. I want to see if y'alls faith in him is validated and if my opinion on him is correct. It has the potential to be more entertaining that our own season.  

5 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

The offer only becomes a joke if he earns it.......when that happens it becomes the truth. 

You don't seem to understand how market value works. But good luck going into a restaurant that sells a steak dinner for $20 and telling them "I don't think it's going to be that good, so give it to me for 10".

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Bruce Allen chose to turn our team's top asset into nothing, and to spin it as Cousins' fault because he was greedy, etc.

Guys like you  are spreading Bruce's spin for him, are spending most of their time here to tell us why Kirk is the big, mean villain. Then, when challenged, throw in the occasional "oh, I hate the FO too", but that is just an attempt at cover. You're doing Allen's bidding, whether you realize it or not. 

Guys like me huh? I guess. I notice you are more upset with me than our own fans that HOPE to see him do better than the team. You may be one of them, too. Judging by how personal you take my opinion. So much so that you think im doing Allen's bidding. Thats fine if it makes you feel better. We are entitled to our own alternate facts these days I guess anyway. 

The reality is that I think both the FO and Cousins screwed this up for all of us. Both things can be true. I can think Krik is a jerk, greedy, and a bad team member and believe the FO is the reason we even are in this mess in the first place. You can choose to ignore all his teammates and coaches who alluded to the same thing in recent weeks as doing Bruce's work if you want. But the reality is that it took both sides for it to get this messed up and if you dont want to admit it thats your problem. 

If you think golden boy is so perfect and above sin you should take your ass with him to the Vikings or wherever the hell he ends up. You aint gonna get anything from the Skins for a while anyway. Go where your heart is lol

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If you think golden boy is so perfect and above sin you should take your ass with him to the Vikings or wherever the hell he ends up. You aint gonna get anything from the Skins for a while anyway. Go where your heart is lol

You started off so well and then reverted right back into this stuff that severely dilutes any point you're trying to make.

I don't think anyone is of the belief or actually cares if Kirk is a 'perfect golden boy above sin'.  Who really cares about that?  Folks that have entirely too much invested in hating or loving this dude they don't even know.

Given how you admit that Bruce Allen is trash, imagine what Kirk's opinion of him is - given that he's been around him for six years, had a contract offer go unanswered by him, pronounces his name wrong on what feels like purpose, sold him up ****'s creek in a press release last year, and the list goes on.  Take all the personal feelings about either party out of it and just look at it like that.  Why would dude feel some sort of allegiance to this guy?  Why wouldn't he want to stick it to him?  Only here does this kind of crap happen, only here.

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Not good enough.  Needs to take out a whole section of the WaPo and name each fan/supporter individually and apologize for not doing this sooner. :ols:

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You started off so well and then reverted right back into this stuff that severely dilutes any point you're trying to make.

Im not trying to make a point just shooting the ****. Yall dont listen to me anyway. And at this point I do it for entertainment. 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think anyone is of the belief or actually cares if Kirk is a 'perfect golden boy above sin'.  Who really cares about that?  Folks that have entirely too much invested in hating or loving this dude they don't even know.

Given how you admit that Bruce Allen is trash, imagine what Kirk's opinion of him is - given that he's been around him for six years, had a contract offer go unanswered by him, pronounces his name wrong on what feels like purpose, sold him up ****'s creek in a press release last year, and the list goes on.  Take all the personal feelings about either party out of it and just look at it like that.  Why would dude feel some sort of allegiance to this guy?  Why wouldn't he want to stick it to him?  Only here does this kind of crap happen, only here.

Oh I totally get why he would have a problem with Bruce. He seems like a snake even if you ignore all the stuff you listed. I knew it was personal when he yelled you like that in his face and I KNOW Bruce is too small of a man to just let that slide without revenge. And you are right the way he does business, if I had the options Kirk does I would probably take them. But, just because I understand the dude, doesn't mean I like him. 

I think I have been not only very transparent on this but pretty fair as well. Im not above admitting my personal bias AND the fact that I could have it all wrong. 

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Edit

Not good enough.  Needs to take out a whole section of the WaPo and name each fan/supporter individually and apologize for not doing this sooner. :ols:

What many of those trashing Kirk for not saying anything to the fans did not understand that Kirk was not actually gone since there had been talk of a tag for leverage. He waited until it was appropriate. 

I really hope he does well - just not against the Redskins. If he plays us I will be rooting against him hard - really hard. I do not see the logic of wanting him to do well against the Redskins. I definitely like the Redskins way more than I dislike Bruce Allen or even Dan Snyder. I want the team to win, period. 

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

What many of those trashing Kirk for not saying anything to the fans did not understand that Kirk was not actually gone since there had been talk of a tag for leverage. He waited until it was appropriate. 

To the extent they were thinking about it at all. It was just people (who, want you to know that they really really don't like Bruce Allen either) finding any excuse they could to demonize Kirk Cousins and tell us how horribly he treated the Redskins and their fans, which, of course, is exactly what Bruce Allen needs everyone to believe. 

Remember when the Blunder from Down Under, Chadwiko, tweeted Tyrod Taylor’s thank you to Buffalo citing it as ‘how a classy QB leaves a team”?

:ols:

Remmeber the droves of fans that were eating that crap up?

:ols:

Remember those of us saying it was coming once all was actually said and done?  Remember when we said it’d be nice and complimentary of everyone no matter what?

So, yeah.

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

And again we kind of skip through some the more critical details. 

First, it was the team that decided not to negotiate first when Kirk and his agent made a $19M/yr for 3 yr offer. I agree Kirk should have responded to the offer last year but the team owns not negotiating from the very beginning, instead electing on tagging Kirk. Then when they did make their offer (more on this later), Kirk rejected it electing to play on the tag. So why is it good business for the team to elect not to negotiate and tag Kirk but it's unacceptable for Kirk to do the exact same thing? 

Couple of reasons

1. If your team lets the players decide what they are going to do and the team becomes hostage to that player its a terrible look going forward. 

2. Besides the idea that you don't sign QBs to three year deals ever, what they offered was bad business. 

3. Kirk hadn't shown enough to warrant a long term deal at that point. Your looking back at this with 20-20 hindsight. The Redskins at the time did him a solid and tagged him. The team was right to make him prove himself. No one knew at that time how this was gonna go then. Because they didn't take the risk of signing the wrong player that it means it gives Kirk some pass to treat the team and fans any way he choose to?

That last point brings up a real good point to me right now. Kirk is gone. We all know that. Where are the goodbyes? Where are his fellow teammates saying how they loved playing with him the past 6 years and are going to miss him? Where are the goodbyes from Kirk to the fans of the Redskins saying how much he liked performing for us? Where is all of the class Kirk showed for years today? 

All I see is former players saying he lied to them, former teammates saying they didn't believe what he said to the media, and the team saying they are glad he's gone. And I'm hearing absolutely nothing at all from Kirk. 

Kirk is acting completely classless towards this fan base. We put up with him for six years. We sat through the embarrassing loses to end seasons his fault to NY for multiple years, we all stayed by his side. The fans "liked that" and the fans supported Kirk. And when its time to leave Kirk can't even leave with a bit of class and say goodbye to us fans. 

I'm sorry that you think that fans owe something to Kirk he's clearly not extending to the fans - appreciation. I'm sorry that you believe the team should have given Kirk something that Kirk never gave them - Loyalty. 

Just because you think that acting this way is right doesn't mean it is. No other teams players treat a team and fan base like that. And its no wonder they didn't get a deal done. 

Next, the whole negotiating thing. As someone who actually did sell cars for 3.5 yrs (yes I hated it enough that it sent me to school for an engineering degree but I was decently successful), there are some people on both sides that like the process and enjoy the negotiation. That is much easier when talking the lower $ items on EBay. But when you are making a living at it, you really are just not going to waste your time with people that give you what you feel - and this is key - what you feel is a ridiculously low offer. Now, if they come back with a more reasonable offer it shows they are serious about buying. If they don't, even if they do want to buy something it is unlikely to worth the time. Did I miss a few sales with this approach? Provably. But I also left myself open to make other sales. We on this board can have our own opinions about if the offer was a low ball offer or not. But the only opinion that matters is Kirk's. He felt he was being low balled. 

I've heard is said before by others so I will repeat it. 

Negotiations start when the player and the team want to get something done. Both. If the player wants to get something done and the team doesn't you have whats happening to Niles Paul now, he's out. If you have a team wanting to get something done and the player doesn't you have what we have now with Kirk, and he's out. 

Takes two to negotiate. Kirk never negotiated with them. He made a demand which was unreasonable, then walked and talked like a duck until he turned out to be a snake. 

The fact is the team had several opportunities to make this work but elected to make other choices. Honestly for me that's fine if that's what they truly believed. The issue is and will always be - and the one most of you who are glad Kirk is gone - and please do not insult everyone here by saying you hoped he stayed, you have been on his ass since day one - continue to miss is that they clearly were never sold on Kirk. Why did they not have a better plan? I think you will find that outside a few that like Kirk as much or more than the team - many of us that are not happy with how this went down are Redskins fans first. iIf they didn't believe in him, why was there not a better plan B? It was either out of arrogance or incompetence. Neither are good. 

No I didn't hope he stayed. He never showed me enough to think he was worth over paying for. His play is much too inconsistent for me and he's a turn over machine. He never won anything in college or with us. I see a lot of Kirk Cousins out there. All stats and no clutch. 

There was a time when I didn't feel that way. There was a time when I "liked that" and thought he would and should be re-signed. Once he held his little town hall and went on radio row saying everything he said the past three seasons was bullspit then I gave up and I turned on him. I'm surprised more people haven't turned on him by now. He lied to his teammates, his coaching staff, and all of us fans. That's not what I want or expect from a professional athlete of my beloved Redskins. If players are gonna do that they can get out. 

Plan B was Alex Smith. Plan B didn't need to be enacted until it was clear that Kirk was gone. Once they knew he jerked them around and wasn't coming back they went to plan B. 

Last year around this time, I posted often about how QBs that move to other teams often do poorly.  Brees and Manning are the main two that aren't in agreement with my opinion.  Those 2 are HoF QBs.  So, I will say it one more time for now and then wait for the season to play out. 

I don't expect much from Kirk even if he goes to a team with a great D.  I expect he will struggle with new system, throw a couple picks and not recover like we saw earlier in his career.  I will put it out there and eat crow if I must:  9-7 is the best he will do, but more likely a losing record.  Since he won't be a 'Skin, I really don't care much.

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wanna tell y'all what I think about his warm farewell but im 100% sure some of y'all couldn't take it lol. I really dont see why some of you bother to be Redskins fans anymore. There is nothing left in it for you. 

Lol, now the farewell isn’t good enough either.  First he hadn’t done it yet, he’s an a-hole.  Now that he’s done it, it’s chockful of lies.  Phew.

5 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

Biggest factor to me that's gonna be hard to duplicate?  Cousins' durability.  He NEVER missed a game. 

It seems inevitable that an older QB like Smith, who likes to scramble when plays break down, will not be able to sustain this.  To me that's the biggest reason I think McCoy is safe for this season.

Smith hasn't missed a game in the past four seasons. 

With that said its being discussed lately that one of the issues with Kirk besides all of his issues was that he didn't get along with Colt McCoy. The team loves Colt McCoy. There are photos of Colt hunting with Trent Murphy on social media and other pictures of Colt with the team, something that we never saw with Kirk.

Kirk in his laundry list of diva demands besides getting final say in what the cheerleaders wore (absolutely redic) because they were too skimpy for Kirk's tastes, and the need for a full time Chaplin (religious beliefs is no business of Kirk's), was that he didn't have to sit in the same area with Colt McCoy. If that's true its even more reason to think Colt stays and goes no where 

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Couple of reasons

1. If your team lets the players decide what they are going to do and the team becomes hostage to that player its a terrible look going forward. 

2. Besides the idea that you don't sign QBs to three year deals ever, what they offered was bad business. 

3. Kirk hadn't shown enough to warrant a long term deal at that point. Your looking back at this with 20-20 hindsight. The Redskins at the time did him a solid and tagged him. The team was right to make him prove himself. No one knew at that time how this was gonna go then. Because they didn't take the risk of signing the wrong player that it means it gives Kirk some pass to treat the team and fans any way he choose to?

That last point brings up a real good point to me right now. Kirk is gone. We all know that. Where are the goodbyes? Where are his fellow teammates saying how they loved playing with him the past 6 years and are going to miss him? Where are the goodbyes from Kirk to the fans of the Redskins saying how much he liked performing for us? Where is all of the class Kirk showed for years today? 

All I see is former players saying he lied to them, former teammates saying they didn't believe what he said to the media, and the team saying they are glad he's gone. And I'm hearing absolutely nothing at all from Kirk. 

Kirk is acting completely classless towards this fan base. We put up with him for six years. We sat through the embarrassing loses to end seasons his fault to NY for multiple years, we all stayed by his side. The fans "liked that" and the fans supported Kirk. And when its time to leave Kirk can't even leave with a bit of class and say goodbye to us fans. 

I'm sorry that you think that fans owe something to Kirk he's clearly not extending to the fans - appreciation. I'm sorry that you believe the team should have given Kirk something that Kirk never gave them - Loyalty. 

Just because you think that acting this way is right doesn't mean it is. No other teams players treat a team and fan base like that. And its no wonder they didn't get a deal done. 

I've heard is said before by others so I will repeat it. 

Negotiations start when the player and the team want to get something done. Both. If the player wants to get something done and the team doesn't you have whats happening to Niles Paul now, he's out. If you have a team wanting to get something done and the player doesn't you have what we have now with Kirk, and he's out. 

Takes two to negotiate. Kirk never negotiated with them. He made a demand which was unreasonable, then walked and talked like a duck until he turned out to be a snake. 

No I didn't hope he stayed. He never showed me enough to think he was worth over paying for. His play is much too inconsistent for me and he's a turn over machine. He never won anything in college or with us. I see a lot of Kirk Cousins out there. All stats and no clutch. 

There was a time when I didn't feel that way. There was a time when I "liked that" and thought he would and should be re-signed. Once he held his little town hall and went on radio row saying everything he said the past three seasons was bullspit then I gave up and I turned on him. I'm surprised more people haven't turned on him by now. He lied to his teammates, his coaching staff, and all of us fans. That's not what I want or expect from a professional athlete of my beloved Redskins. If players are gonna do that they can get out. 

Plan B was Alex Smith. Plan B didn't need to be enacted until it was clear that Kirk was gone. Once they knew he jerked them around and wasn't coming back they went to plan B. 

I will keep this short since we not ever get anywhere and I just don't have the time or energy.

I am not looking at things with hindsight. That's a ridiculous statement. I agreed with the tag and said it then. But I am not the GM. They are supposed to be prepared. They were not - period. That is, was and will always be the point.

Of course it takes two to negotiate - and that includes the team. I never said anything else so that's just wasted space. 

As for Kirk being classless, you are free to your opinion just like I am free to tell you that complete and total ****ing bull****. Kirk has not done anything to the fans or the organization that could even be remotely considered classless. It's pure fabrication made up by a few who just do not like him. Not to mention I never said anyone owed Kirk a thing!  I could care less how you feel about Kirk. 

Not sure how many times I need to say this - so this will be the last, the issue is the lack of preparation by the team. And plan b was Alex only when they had no other choice and became desperate. And it cost the team resources without getting much of anything in return. It's more a case of doing the right thing after all other options have been exhausted. 

You can keep making excuses for them all day long but it will not change the fact - yes FACT - that they screwed this thing up from the beginning - either due to arrogance (my choice here) or ineptitude. And then thy compounded it by not having a back-up plan. 

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

With that said its being discussed lately that one of the issues with Kirk besides all of his issues was that he didn't get along with Colt McCoy. The team loves Colt McCoy. There are photos of Colt hunting with Trent Murphy on social media and other pictures of Colt with the team, something that we never saw with Kirk.

Kirk in his laundry list of diva demands besides getting final say in what the cheerleaders wore (absolutely redic) because they were too skimpy for Kirk's tastes, and the need for a full time Chaplin (religious beliefs is no business of Kirk's), was that he didn't have to sit in the same area with Colt McCoy. If that's true its even more reason to think Colt stays and goes no where

Before reading Kirk's blog post about leaving, I strongly leaned towards the cheerleader outfit being absurd. Not 100% sure, because honestly the whole 'God and 1 year deals' thing was kind of absurd too, but there's strong BS in it. After reading his blog post, I'm 100% certain the beef with Colt is BS. VOS posted the blog link a few posts up, but here's the excerpt I'm looking at:

Though we are ultimately measured on a win-loss record, my fondest memories will be the little achievements and struggles that got us there…the everyday memories that made the job fun. I’ll miss Trent Williams’ clever one-liners at a teammate’s poor fashion choices (mostly mine) ... breakfast with Scherff and Sundberg …Tress Way’s trivia games … Ryan Kerrigan’s consistency … Jordan Reed’s horrible ping pong (but amazing routes) … Chatting with Jamison Crowder & Josh Doctson in the cold tub …“Dunkin’ Fridays” with Colt McCoy… and on and on.

If he hated Colt McCoy, I very much doubt he'd be listed as a fond memory.

Archived