Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

4 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I guess the question would be did Kirk tell them he would do a deal behind closed doors. Did he say he planned on staying? Kirk and Mcarthey may have played this from the beginning. 

Are you blaming it on Cousins?  Did you not watch the Skins jerk around Cousins around for years?  Dan Snyder never valued Kirk Cousins and now Kirk Cousins gets to pick his own team.  Blaming Cousins that it ended this way is absurd.

18 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Kirk would be crazy to go the Browns I don't care how much they pay him it won't be worth it.  He should go to Minnesota and have a real shot at winning the Super Bowl for less money.   Jimmy Haslam is nearly as inept as Daniel Snyder.

Not sure you realize how much the Browns are changing. They may be good in short order.  How much fun would it be to play on a team on the upswing?  I actually think the Browns are going to be good, in the very near future. They are signing Landry from the Dolphins.  Myles Garrett will be a stud.  Barkley?  Stud.  Get Cousins, and then take your pick of DL, OL, Linebacker, blah, blah, blah.  Hell, If I was picking I would WANT to go to the Browns.  They are going to be a cool team to watch ascend, in short order.  After the ****ing they got from Art Modell, they are due.  We whine here about our downtrodden state BUT imagine being a lifelong Browns fan.  They deserve it.  This is the only team I would watch, to see how Kirk is doing.  Otherwise, I don't give a damn. Hail

"The Cleveland Browns have assembled one of the most intelligent, experienced front offices in the NFL.

General Manager John Dorsey heads the whole operation with Eliot Wolf serving as his Assistant General Manager. Andrew Berry and Alonzo Highsmith will each carry the title of Vice President of Player Personnel. Ken Kovash, who was previously labeled as a Vice President of Player Personnel, will now serve as a Vice President in the team's strategy department. Then, the team has Paul DePodesta serving as the Chief Strategy Officer."

7 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Are you blaming it on Cousins?  Did you not watch the Skins jerk around Cousins around for years?  Dan Snyder never valued Kirk Cousins and now Kirk Cousins gets to pick his own team.  Blaming Cousins that it ended this way is absurd.

YA..Dan REALLY dissed Kirk. 44 Mil over 2 years guaranteed. Gave a 4th Rounder the reins of the team as THE starter over a 2nd over all pick. Kept him in the game even though he totally STUNK UP the joint at first....AND Then evil of ALL evils took HIS WORD that he wanted to play for the skins AND KEEP the % of CAP manageable.....THEN he insisted that he would ONLY Talk dollars AFTER the Free Agency Period was OVER and the skins would lose out on ANY FA signings for lack of clarity on the CAP dollars to spend...

DAMN that FO!!! Damn them to *ell for being so unreasonable!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I put a lot of blame on the FO but to say Cousins was jerked around for years or never valued is not true and Cousins is not without blame in how this ended.  I do think lowball offers were made but that is hardly jerking someone around, when he was rightly benched for poor performance during his 3rd season here he still had the GM and Head Coach go stand on the table for him to be the starter for the following season.  He was the unquestioned starter for 3 years and was paid a lot of money in that time so I am not shedding any tears over Kirk being jerked around, we should all be so lucky to be jerked around that way.

So far as blame goes, Kirk pretty clearly made his mind up to bail last off season.  The refusal to negotiate was a clear signal of intent that he was looking to get to FA and he confirmed that at his end of season press conference when he said he would not negotiate until after FA began.  Kirk is a bright guy, he knew that there was no way in hell the team would wait until after FA to figure out the QB position and so inevitably he was going to be free.  

To clarify, I like Kirk plenty and he has every right to maximize his value but to act as though he is completely innocent or did not string along the team and its supporters for the last 12 months is laughably naïve. 

37 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

"The Cleveland Browns have assembled one of the most intelligent, experienced front offices in the NFL.

General Manager John Dorsey heads the whole operation with Eliot Wolf serving as his Assistant General Manager. Andrew Berry and Alonzo Highsmith will each carry the title of Vice President of Player Personnel. Ken Kovash, who was previously labeled as a Vice President of Player Personnel, will now serve as a Vice President in the team's strategy department. Then, the team has Paul DePodesta serving as the Chief Strategy Officer."

Tragically they also added GMSM to their draft room.  1st round Doctson, 2nd round Cravens.  I would have fired him if the strongest thing he was drinking was mountain dew after that fiasco.

53 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I think most reasonable people on either "side" of the issue realize that there was fault on the FO as well as fault on Kirk.

46 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Not sure you realize how much the Browns are changing. They may be good in short order.  How much fun would it be to play on a team on the upswing?  I actually think the Browns are going to be good, in the very near future. They are signing Landry from the Dolphins.  Myles Garrett will be a stud.  Barkley?  Stud.  Get Cousins, and then take your pick of DL, OL, Linebacker, blah, blah, blah.  Hell, If I was picking I would WANT to go to the Browns.  They are going to be a cool team to watch ascend, in short order.  After the ****ing they got from Art Modell, they are due.  We whine here about our downtrodden state BUT imagine being a lifelong Browns fan.  They deserve it.  This is the only team I would watch, to see how Kirk is doing.  Otherwise, I don't give a damn. Hail

Couple of things...first, we've heard this song and dance about the Browns before. In fact, we seem to see it every few years every time they retool their FO. "Oh man, the Browns now have <x> in their FO, I think they could really surprise people this year and they have lots of high 1st round picks too" but I'll believe it when I actually see it.

Second, who the **** wants to live in Cleveland?

3 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

YA..Dan REALLY dissed Kirk. 44 Mil over 2 years guaranteed. Gave a 4th Rounder the reins of the team as THE starter over a 2nd over all pick. Kept him in the game even though he totally STUNK UP the joint at first....AND Then evil of ALL evils took HIS WORD that he wanted to play for the skins AND KEEP the % of CAP manageable.....THEN he insisted that he would ONLY Talk dollars AFTER the Free Agency Period was OVER and the skins would lose out on ANY FA signings for lack of clarity on the CAP dollars to spend...

DAMN that FO!!! Damn them to *ell for being so unreasonable!!!!!!!!!!

4th Rounder.... 2nd overall pick?  You still don't get it. 

It was Griffin who stunk and was gifted the starting job even though he sucked.  When Cousins was finally given the reins in 2015 he rewrote the franchise records.  Kirks started 48 games in a row and performed at a top 5 over that period and now he gets to walk and you're pissed at him who played his position better than any Skin in decades?  Snyder screwed the pooch again, in a different way than his other blunders, but a horrible mistake and 10 years from now after Kirk completes a great career with his next team Snyder is going to look even dumber than today.

7 hours ago, HigSkin said:

This is a pretty interesting conversation piece by ESPN with some analytics around how many more wins KC's suitors would have.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22692351/nfl-how-many-wins-kirk-cousins-add-various-suitors

KC.jpg.a63313c7a6fd0dc8f053b2af8f1a7464.jpg

I mean this isn't interesting at all.  It's nothing more than someone's guess.  It's no more valid than you or me pulling numbers out of our asses.

26 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

It was Griffin who stunk and was gifted the starting job even though he sucked.  When Cousins was finally given the reins in 2015 he rewrote the franchise records.  Kirks started 48 games in a row and performed at a top 5 over that period and now he gets to walk and you're pissed at him who played his position better than any Skin in decades?  Snyder screwed the pooch again, in a different way than his other blunders, but a horrible mistake and 10 years from now after Kirk completes a great career with his next team Snyder is going to look even dumber than today.

time will tell. Could be his greatest years are behind him...back when he had Garcon, Reed and Jackson performing at top level and snatching so many incompletions for receptions. Same for both guys.....time and change will tell the real story 

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Part of Kirk’s demands from Redskins was apparently less skimpy outfits for the cheerleaders:

I heard.  The outfit looks fine. Maybe he felt he could safely approach that day.  Well, there is one good reason he is leaving. 

And a full time chaplain.... hmmm yeah we had an awful lot of injuries, but I think we are ok without a Father Mulcahy for what comes down to about 75 hours of game time.

Throw in the pushing the charity official (who does that?), which doesn't require "anonymous" sources, maybe Bruce is onto something. Blind squirrel thing, no doubt.

39 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Kirk is/was a loser when it mattered..when it counted..Green Bay, Giants. 2015 he LUCKED into a NFC Champ title with a 9-7 Record and CHOKED the next week Packers 35 18 Redskins. 2016 he went 8-7-1 and in the last game was SHUT OUT in the first Half- 1 field goal in the 3rd and got trash points in the 4th, 2017 Lost to an unmotivated trash Giants team to get Knocked out the playoffs...

Those losses were ON HIM..He Choked and the FO saw that and weren't going to reward him for that. I assume the FO was willing to work and develop him more at a reasonable price but not put him on a par with Rogers and Brady and Brees. THAT would have been STUPID. Like I said the FO messed up by NOT dumping him in 2017 Off season.

You can have your opinion, but you can't change the above facts

37 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Kirk is/was a loser when it mattered..when it counted..Green Bay, Giants. 2015 he LUCKED into a NFC Champ title with a 9-7 Record and CHOKED the next week Packers 35 18 Redskins. 2016 he went 8-7-1 and in the last game was SHUT OUT in the first Half- 1 field goal in the 3rd and got trash points in the 4th, 2017 Lost to an unmotivated trash Giants team to get Knocked out the playoffs...

Those losses were ON HIM..He Choked and the FO saw that and weren't going to reward him for that. I assume the FO was willing to work and develop him more at a reasonable price but not put him on a par with Rogers and Brady and Brees. THAT would have been STUPID. Like I said the FO messed up by NOT dumping him in 2017 Off season.

You can have your opinion, but you can't change the above facts

These are your opinions, not facts and capitalizing words doesn't change your opinions into facts.

Not sure the defeats to the Packers and Giants were opinions.  I mean if results were opinions then Tom Brady could have snatched the Lombardi from Nick Foles and said in his opinion he won.

I get that you liked Kirk, so did I, but he did everything he could to get to Free Agency and as others have pointed out he has yet to show any appreciation to the fans for the last 6 years when so many other players in the last few days have done so.  The only thing Kirk has done since it became obvious he was leaving is fill my inbox with spam trying to get me to buy merch from his store and no I do not like that.

Burgandy blog who is just a dude like us who posts on twitter is now all of a sudden is claiming to be an insider and is now a reporter?   That's the same dude who last summer created all this hoopla about Jay wanting Richard Sherman.

Could he be right?  You never know.  But the dude isn't exactly John Keim.

Yep in the end anyone that says anything is just a dude/lady, so I fall back on the video tape charity game, and reassure myself that something was just not quite right. It's not like he was an immature kid, the guy was 29 years old and an outstanding member of our society.

Archived