Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/02/02/kirk-cousins-breaks-his-silence-after-redskins-trade-for-alex-smith/?utm_term=.8472d356a8d1

Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

By Scott Allen February 2 at 12:26 PM

Three days after the Redskins’ surprising trade for Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith signaled the unofficial end of Kirk Cousins’s tenure with the team, Cousins addressed his future with reporters on Friday in Minneapolis. In the first of several scheduled interviews on Radio Row ahead of Super Bowl LII, Cousins said finding his next team “should be an interesting process.”

“It was a surprise,” Cousins told USA Today Sports’ Mike Jones of Tuesday’s trade. “I was actually working out at my hotel room here in Minneapolis and when I finished the workout went over and saw the news. Every player looks forward to free agency. It looks like I’m going to be a free agent on March 14. I guess there are still some dates to check off, but it should be an exciting process.”

Before Tuesday’s news, Cousins said he felt “there was a good chance” he would be back in Washington.

“I was keeping an open mind,” Cousins said. ” . . . I think Washington can win. I think they’re in a good place. I think they’re in a position to be successful.”

Coach warned you, He was tired of dinky around.

-Nobody is irreplaceable, the fact that he was not making an equal effort to get signed spelled his doom or did Jay just really agree with Scot's assessment that Kirk wasn't special? 

So good luck buddy. 

1 minute ago, SWFLSkins said:

-Nobody is irreplaceable, the fact that he was not making an equal effort to get signed spelled his doom or did Jay just really agree with Scot's assessment that Kirk wasn't special? 

I suspect both. 

Just been reading how the Patriots tagged and traded Cassel back in the day. Not happening though, right.

Like a long list of former Redskins players, wait for him to pan out elsewhere. As SMC said "I don’t see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special." I believe another team will make him special.

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

I believe another team will make him special.

Another team only needs to provide a defense and an actual running game to make a top 5 QB special.

His almost exact stats with the addition of Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown + a top 10 defense won 13 games this year. (But Cousins was throwing to nobodies with garbage in the backfield)

Seems like big name players around the league are coming out in droves with good things to say about Cousins lobbying for their respective teams to sign him. Its funny cause, The Press thinks Kirk is Franchise QB, Players around the league think he Cousins is a franchise QB but alot of our fan base and front office has been trying to run this guy out of town since he took over for RG3...

Its going to be painful watching Cousins make a playoff run next year for another team, we will be talking about this one for years. This will be way worse than what happened with Trent Green

1 minute ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Seems like big name players around the league are coming out in droves with good things to say about Cousins lobbying for their respective teams to sign him. Its funny cause, The Press thinks Kirk is Franchise QB, Players around the league think he Cousins is a franchise QB but alot of our fan base and front office has been trying to run this guy out of town since he took over for RG3...

Its going to be painful watching Cousins make a playoff run next year for another team, we will be talking about this one for years. This will be way worse than what happened with Trent Green

Which players have come out? I mean Joe Thomas and Von Miller but look who they had at QB? You don't think that it was telling that a majority of Skins players voiced their displeasure with giving up fuller rather than stating that they are upset that Kirk is leaving? I am not trying to insinuate that Kirk is a malcontent but just an observation.

1 minute ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

Which players have come out? I mean Joe Thomas and Von Miller but look who they had at QB? You don't think that it was telling that a majority of Skins players voiced their displeasure with giving up fuller rather than stating that they are upset that Kirk is leaving? I am not trying to insinuate that Kirk is a malcontent but just an observation.

Patrick Peterson, Andre Roberts and numerous players on the Jets

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000913506/article/patrick-peterson-kirk-cousins-can-get-us-over-the-top 

9 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Another team only needs to provide a defense and an actual running game to make a top 5 QB special.

His almost exact stats with the addition of Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown + a top 10 defense won 13 games this year. (But Cousins was throwing to nobodies with garbage in the backfield)

Ya his exact stats but you forgot about the all pros he had blocking for him in Pitt. Not easy to get that kind of help today.

24 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Coach warned you, He was tired of dinky around.

-Nobody is irreplaceable, the fact that he was not making an equal effort to get signed spelled his doom or did Jay just really agree with Scot's assessment

True.  I hope Jay remembers that, when he's fired after the 2018 season.

9 minutes ago, zoony said:

So yah, about that trade thats gonna happen with Kirk...

Or are we prepared to say that was 100 percent bs?

Cousins said in a subsequent interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio. “I expect to be a free agent come March 14. We’ll see if that plays out......

We'll see indeed....

not 100 percent bs for me. Maybe not far off, but I would not discount anything around here.

20 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

True.  I hope Jay remembers that, when he's fired after the 2018 season.

As I said this is a bonus for us fans, It's really **** or get off the pot now, lol. 

Also, as we know this team is not a playoff team yet, that said you don't blow your wad on a QB that has question marks and needs a complete team to get over the top. Alex Smith at less money and shorter terms allows the Skins to draft a developmental QB now, not when Kirk Did or Dint pan out. 

36 minutes ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

I think that was lost in all the apocalyptic chaos, but yeah, that spoke volumes.

34 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Patrick Peterson, Andre Roberts and numerous players on the Jets

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000913506/article/patrick-peterson-kirk-cousins-can-get-us-over-the-top 

The majority of the players speaking out are from teams that deprived of decent quarterback play. Its their job to try to advocate for their team to get the best QB on the market.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think that was lost in all the apocalyptic chaos, but yeah, that spoke volumes.

I agree that many have not pay attention to that but in my opinion it is very telling.

7 minutes ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

I agree that many have not pay attention to that but in my opinion it is very telling.

Honestly, I found it kind of shocking, but regardless of what we think, or the media, or even other players from different teams,  the players on your own team would be the most trusted source.

Now of course there are infinite ways in which it could be picked apart, and blame assigned to the defense especially (rightfully so) and other areas of the team, but those guys always know the truth, no matter how painful or inconvenient. But yeah, at bare minimum, it was indeed telling, that a leader on the defense (not a fan) chose to rail about the nickel cb and not the starting QB that got hit between the eyes with the bolt gun

55 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Perhaps I missed something.  How many playoff wins does Cousins have?  Ok, maybe that's not fair.  How many wins in big games (playoff dependent) did Cousins have?  I liked Cousins but don't consider him a franchise QB. There aren't that many in the league to begin with but he doesn't get close to that bucket for me - (neither does Smith by the way).  Given that three of the final four QB's in the Conference Championship games aren't franchise QB's maybe that doesn't matter in the end.  He's gone - I'm one who doubts he'll make the ultimate difference anywhere he goes.

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Would the browns take kirk for 1 year 34 million if that’s the only way they could get him? We could tag him then trade him to the browns for a 3rd or 4th round pick (agree we wouldn’t get much but something is better than nothing)

if kirk doesn’t sign the tag he just sits for a year, right?

We aren't tagging him.

29 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Would the browns take kirk for 1 year 34 million if that’s the only way they could get him? We could tag him then trade him to the browns for a 3rd or 4th round pick (agree we wouldn’t get much but something is better than nothing)

if kirk doesn’t sign the tag he just sits for a year, right?

If tagged and he doesn't sign and the Redskins don't rescind the tag (think Panthers with Josh Norman), then he sits without pay until he does sign.   As far as tagging and trading him, it's probably as close to 100% not happening as it can get. 

Huge risk for the Skins if it doesn't pan out, like $34 million dollars of cap space eaten up for nothing.  And from other teams perspectives, they want to be assured that he will agree to a LTD, which Kirk doesn't have to do, so they would be on the hook for $34 mil one season and not sure if he will do a LTD with them.

So, even though it's the Browns we are talking about, they aren't stupid enough to eat $34 million in cap space for a one year rental (if Kirk flat out said no to negotiating a LTD with them after a sign and trade).  And Kirk has no reason to help the Skins out in this matter, as it would take away picks from where ever he goes.

Archived