Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

6 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

As I said this is a bonus for us fans, It's really **** or get off the pot now, lol. 

Also, as we know this team is not a playoff team yet, that said you don't blow your wad on a QB that has question marks and needs a complete team to get over the top. Alex Smith at less money and shorter terms allows the Skins to draft a developmental QB now, not when Kirk Did or Dint pan out. 

Firing Gruden because the front office continues to be garbage is not a bonus.  That's just the ever present threat of regressing to Dan Snyder's norm of constant turnover leading only to more of the same.  What we need is for this stupid organization to break away from that and finally build a sustainably good team. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Honestly, I found it kind of shocking, but regardless of what we think, or the media, or even other players from different teams,  the players on your own team would be the most trusted source.

Now of course there are infinite ways in which it could be picked apart, and blame assigned to the defense especially (rightfully so) and other areas of the team, but those guys always know the truth, no matter how painful or inconvenient. But yeah, at bare minimum, it was indeed telling, that a leader on the defense (not a fan) chose to rail about the nickel cb and not the starting QB that got hit between the eyes with the bolt gun

Whether his teammates liked him or not, I think the players knew that Cousins didn't want to re-sign with the Redskins so they were already looking beyond him.  As a result, I suspect they were very happy to have a viable replacement for Cousins, while being very disappointed with the loss of Fuller. 

Like many, they are probably happy just to see an end to this 2-year soap opera.

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

This is the one big disappointing issue and KC makes it apparent as he should have.  Bruce can't even speak about it or wish KC the best.  Sad!

Yeah there is some conflicting narratives about the backdrop behind the Kirk contract.   But there were a few consistent points that didn't change regardless of the source and that is Kirk and or his agent likely thought Bruce was a douche.  

I don't buy that Bruce would be a great dude anywhere else and Dan corrupted him.  As some of the DC reporters said, Bruce was called the Prince of Darkness by the Tampa media for a reason.  Lombardi who worked with Bruce BEFORE he arrived in DC said Bruce likes to play games with agents and its the agent who often gets the last laugh.

I blame Dan for hiring guys like Bruce.  They are his kind of people.   But yeah I don't buy Bruce was just a good guy corrupted by a bad place.  I don't mean that Bruce is evil.   I just think he's an ego driven politician type who tried to show up Kirk and his agent.  They got the last laugh.  And now Kirk's gone.   I am sure the dude has redeeming qualities.  But hearing about the negotiation for years -- he came off as the bad guy in the mix. 

Craig Hoffman from 106.7 talked about it last week saying upon talking to people about the Kirk contract.  It centered mostly on one thing -- Kirk's agent and Bruce had a strained relationship and that colored things.

I respected Kirk and wish things worked out. With that being said I will not miss him. I will not forget that interception to DRC 2 years ago, still haunts me. Another mediocre year with him by getting spanked by the 3-13 giants in the final game this season and Dak putting up his 4th straight against him. The NFC east was garbage in 2015 and that’s the only reason we got into the playoffs. I’m glad to get a competent QB in Washington who isn’t scared to sign a contract and get to work.

5 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

That's all well and good.  But do you trust THIS FO to find the right developmental QB?  I sure as hell don't. 

How do you arrive to this conclusion?

Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins were good under Jay Gruden and the only QB they’ve drafted since they drafted Cousins was a 6th round pick named Sudfeld who is now oddly enough the backup QB on the Eagles in the Super Bowl two seasons after being drafted? 

Why the pessimistic view? 

It's a real head scratcher for me when I see folks say they can never forgive X pick or X loss.  I'd understand if the team was setup to win and the guy just pooped his pants and blew the teams chances at making a Super Bowl run.  The 2016 team however had not a chance in the world of advancing.  At no point was I ever thinking the team could win a playoff game.

Well, now the drama is almost over for the Redskins FO, for now.

Curiosity is bugging me on 'what now?" Alex Smith needs the same things Cousins needed; a good RB, good ball catchers, and a decent to good defense to be successful. The Redskins have none of these things with the exception of Chris Thompson, who cannot be a full time RB, and Davis has surprised me, but Alex will go to him heavy and that will not be good.

As long as Bruce Allen is associated with this organization, nothing will change, unless its for the worse. His track record proves it, yet Snyder can't seem to get it through his egg head that he is the problem. Bruce is trying to fill daddy's shoes and be a legend so everyone will praise him and think god asks HIM questions. Problem is, he is nothing like his dad. Anyone who doesn't believe Bruce Allen is bad for this team should do some research on his previous teams he's been on; and you'll quickly see his pattern and habit of under-valuing players and letting them go to other teams. What do you think is gonna happen when the next big time player comes up for contract talks; they will be gone.

All I can do is hope Alex smith will play good, but I'm not getting my hopes up. This team needs so much offensive help, and believing the FO will be able to bring in some solid quality help just won't happen. Might wanna hang onto your seats, because I've got that feeling 2018 is going to be unbearable.

A lot of these fans have earned Alex Smith which will make next season all the more comical. 

Bumbling Bruce and Doofus Dan will actually have to go out and sign a 1200 yd rb and make sure there are ample Checkdown targets for him next season or else they will struggle to put up 17 points in most games. And even if they somehow luck into a rookie of the year level RB and Doctson turns into Terrell Owens they still won't get to the playoffs because Alex won't win any football games with our bottom feeder defense.

Get that FG kicker warmed up if there's no running game like every other year Gruden has been the head coach because Alex isn't going to throw TDs. He threw over 20 twice in 13 years which ties him with Winston and 1 behind guys like Tannehill and Bortles and Cousins who is 3 for 3.

1 hour ago, maxspruill21 said:

I respected Kirk and wish things worked out. With that being said I will not miss him. I will not forget that interception to DRC 2 years ago, still haunts me. Another mediocre year with him by getting spanked by the 3-13 giants in the final game this season and Dak putting up his 4th straight against him. The NFC east was garbage in 2015 and that’s the only reason we got into the playoffs. I’m glad to get a competent QB in Washington who isn’t scared to sign a contract and get to work.

Things like that INT and taking a knee instead of spiking the ball before the half or the multiple delay of game penalties. Those are not characteristics of a 30 mil QB. Alex Smith may not have more talent but seems more situationally aware.

Idle thoughts on a Friday night:

1.  I wonder how long the  "shills" taking their cues from Bruce's front office will continue to blame Cousins for the Skins woes, even after he's gone.

2.  Maybe it was just some of the pictures I seen, but does Bruce's neck and head ever remind you of a gray ferret?  (If it does, somehow that seems appropriate.)

3.  Alex Smith, welcome to the Redskins!!  Now, YOU'RE the guy everyone gets to blame for everything that's going wrong with the team.  (Well, and maybe a little bit more blame on Cousins too, wherever he is.)

4.  Do the anti-Kirk people realize that much of this is really more about anti-Bruce, than necessarily pro-Kirk?  (Okay,  Bruce's cheap ways wound up screwing things up to the point where it would take a miracle to retain Cousins at an affordable contrast -- and effectively rendered Kirk unsignable.).

5.  Do you ever stand back and wonder how Bruce Allen could be such a cheap Skinflint and somehow hang on to his job for Snyder, who came into the league intent on spending his way to a championship?   After all, Bruce would rather have short term one-year rental players (and JAGS like McGee and McClain) and bargain basement injured players/draft-picks hoping they who might bounce back, than spend the money needed on top-tier talent.  And if any Skins player gets too good, -- and likely expensive to retain -- , Bruce simply won't hang onto them.  Frankly,  Its going to be difficult to expect any championships with Bruce's JAG-Skins and JAG-coaches, and what he's also creating... a JAG-Office group.  The Redskins product is hyped as Prime Rib, but invariably winds up looking like a McDonald "hamburger patty." 

5.  Vinny and Bruce both have something in common -- they both passed up their chance to have Calais Campbell on the Skins because they decided it was better to get two guys instead -- and those guys never really panned out.

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Firing Gruden because the front office continues to be garbage is not a bonus.  That's just the ever present threat of regressing to Dan Snyder's norm of constant turnover leading only to more of the same.  What we need is for this stupid organization to break away from that and finally build a sustainably good team. 

Putting a timeline on accountability is a bonus, unless you enjoy this merry-go-round of misery?

9 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

If tagged and he doesn't sign and the Redskins don't rescind the tag (think Panthers with Josh Norman), then he sits without pay until he does sign.   As far as tagging and trading him, it's probably as close to 100% not happening as it can get. 

Huge risk for the Skins if it doesn't pan out, like $34 million dollars of cap space eaten up for nothing.  And from other teams perspectives, they want to be assured that he will agree to a LTD, which Kirk doesn't have to do, so they would be on the hook for $34 mil one season and not sure if he will do a LTD with them.

So, even though it's the Browns we are talking about, they aren't stupid enough to eat $34 million in cap space for a one year rental (if Kirk flat out said no to negotiating a LTD with them after a sign and trade).  And Kirk has no reason to help the Skins out in this matter, as it would take away picks from where ever he goes.

but wouldn't someone reneging on the agreement if the Skins do come to a tag and trade agreement look just as bad for them as the Smith for Fuller & pick trade falling apart look for us?  And every year new QBs come out of college, Kirk gets a year older, and a rep of being hard to get along with grows

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really liked Cousins.....

I did too but Kirk giving the Skins a time frame before making a deal didn't sit with me well. Kirk will learn Karma is a ****. I think it would be too funny if no one signs Kirk at all this year. He can just sit home and play daddy to his new born instead. 

It's over. Kirk is gone. Wish him well.  He did what he had to do.  I've said I believe Bruce and Danny never wanted Kirk. They were just stuck with him because they had no options.  This year, they had options and exercised it.  Kirk was Shanny's boy.  It's only natural that Kirk didn't want to be here,

I hope he does goes somewhere and has success he didn't have here.  I really hope he wins a Superbowl. Just seeing that happen and then watch Snyder squirm. Would love it.   Actually, that actually might be the best thing to happen long term.

If Kirk goes somewhere and succeed and wins a Superbowl; Dan may wake up from the embarrassment.  How could a QB we drafted only lead to us mediocrity but goes somewhere else and wins a Superbowl.  I said, I believe that if that happens; it would fracture some of the fanbase from the Redskins forever.  That maybe what will finally wake up Dan?  Get the right people and let them do their job?

Well, I can dream right.

As for Alex, I have no expectations this year.  That schedule could be killer.  Gruden is a mediocre coach - who's future lies in coaching for his brother.  Here's what I see for Alex:

2018 - 6-10. Skins fire Jay.

2019- Skins hire big name coach- either a retread or college coach.  We also draft a QB to groom.  Alex leads to 10-6 record and 1-1 playoff record.

2020- Alex's best season as we go 12-4, win the division but we lose our playoff game.

2021- Alex has a poor season and get's injured.  We are 4-8 at the time of his injury. Our young QB take overs and goes 2-2; we finish 6-10.

2022- Alex is cut before the 22 season and we go with the young QB.  Skins have another losing, while the young QB goes throw his growing pains.  Big name coach gets fired and we start again.

“It was a surprise,” Cousins told USA Today Sports’ Mike Jones of Tuesday’s trade. “I was actually working out at my hotel room here in Minneapolis and when I finished the workout went over and saw the news. Every player looks forward to free agency. It looks like I’m going to be a free agent on March 14. I guess there are still some dates to check off, but it should be an exciting process.”

This from a man who as already made 50 million dollars! I will tell you what winners look forward to Kirk; winning a super bowl, or in your case a playoff victory, or even perhaps a final game against a Giants team with nothing to play for in order to get "into" the playoffs!!!

My only gripe is; we didn't trade you before last draft and load up on talent!!!! 

3 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Putting a timeline on accountability is a bonus, unless you enjoy this merry-go-round of misery?

Not sure firing Gruden would help in any way.

Still, if things go south this season and Kirk thrives elsewhere, Dan will fire everyone and starts from scratch once again.

So, let's just hope this time he figured it out.

4 hours ago, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

“It was a surprise,” Cousins told USA Today Sports’ Mike Jones of Tuesday’s trade. “I was actually working out at my hotel room here in Minneapolis and when I finished the workout went over and saw the news. Every player looks forward to free agency. It looks like I’m going to be a free agent on March 14. I guess there are still some dates to check off, but it should be an exciting process.”

This from a man who as already made 50 million dollars! I will tell you what winners look forward to Kirk; winning a super bowl, or in your case a playoff victory, or even perhaps a final game against a Giants team with nothing to play for in order to get "into" the playoffs!!!

My only gripe is; we didn't trade you before last draft and load up on talent!!!! 

He also said that: "“Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No,” Cousins said on PFT Live. “It is about winning, and that’s what I want more than anything, so I’m going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I’m in the best possible position to win, and that’s what the focus is going to be.”

Of course, it's up to you to believe him or not.:)

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Not sure firing Gruden would help in any way.

Still, if things go south this season and Kirk thrives elsewhere, Dan will fire everyone and starts from scratch once again.

So, let's just hope this time he figured it out.

That's really all WE as fans can do, HOPE. Hope Jay succeeds with Alex Smith and the FO secures enough talent to get off the mediocre train. I hope the Team of Williams and Campbell are the ones processing and selecting the talent along with Jay. That would mean Bruce is not the go to guy on players. I have no faith is him being the decision maker there. 

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It's over. Kirk is gone. Wish him well.  He did what he had to do.  I've said I believe Bruce and Danny never wanted Kirk. They were just stuck with him because they had no options.  This year, they had options and exercised it.  Kirk was Shanny's boy.  It's only natural that Kirk didn't want to be here,

I hope he does goes somewhere and has success he didn't have here.  I really hope he wins a Superbowl. Just seeing that happen and then watch Snyder squirm. Would love it.   Actually, that actually might be the best thing to happen long term.

If Kirk goes somewhere and succeed and wins a Superbowl; Dan may wake up from the embarrassment.  How could a QB we drafted only lead to us mediocrity but goes somewhere else and wins a Superbowl.  I said, I believe that if that happens; it would fracture some of the fanbase from the Redskins forever.  That maybe what will finally wake up Dan?  Get the right people and let them do their job?

Well, I can dream right..

As for Alex, I have no expectations this year.  That schedule could be killer.  Gruden is a mediocre coach - who's future lies in coaching for his brother.  Here's what I see for Alex:

2018 - 6-10. Skins fire Jay.

2019- Skins hire big name coach- either a retread or college coach.  We also draft a QB to groom.  Alex leads to 10-6 record and 1-1 playoff record.

2020- Alex's best season as we go 12-4, win the division but we lose our playoff game.

2021- Alex has a poor season and get's injured.  We are 4-8 at the time of his injury. Our young QB take overs and goes 2-2; we finish 6-10.

2022- Alex is cut after the season and we go with the young QB.  Skins have another losing, while the young QB goes throw his growing pains.  Big name coach gets fired and we start again.

6-10 is only one game worse than this year with a new QB.  That wouldn't get Gruden fired.  As for any fanbase that leaves if Kirk has success, I will gladly hold the door for them and hope this forum improves for it

I hold no ill will towards Kirk.  This is a business decision for him as well.  He's stated numerous times over the years that he understands the NFL is a business.  The FO is going to make what they believe is the best decision for the team (which is rarely the right one), and he's going to make the best decision for his family.  I'd bet 9 out of 10 players in Kirk's position would probably do the same thing he did and take it to free agency because he'll get to pick the best situation (combination of money and winning potential).  I don't like the fact that he told the FO he won't negotiate until FA starts, and wish he had given them a chance to at least propose an offer.  But I get the decision.  I'll root for him and hope he does well on another team.....unless he's up against the Skins, in which case I'll hope he has the worst game of his life.  

I don't know the guy. He seems like a good dude. What I have noticed is that players on the Redskins are not coming out talking about him leaving like Alex Smith leaving for the Chiefs. People are coming out about Fuller though in bunches. It's the little things you notice when stuff like this happens. Could be a good showman. Who knows. I'm looking forward to closing this chapter soon.

Archived