Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If every fan that was bright enough to acknowledge the general ineptitude of your father's ability as an owner to build a winning organization left, it'd just be you and a handful of homers slapping high fives and yelling Hail! while watching Redskins Nation.

As has been stated on numerous occasions, if it was as easy to move on and get behind another team with the same level of passion many of us acquired prior to Dan's ownership, we would have already left.  Unfortunately for us, this team is like family.  The difference is that while some family is willing to support and enable the bad seeds of the family no matter what, many of us simply call a spade a spade, family or not.

Believe it or not, there is nothing I want more than for your father to finally get right.  To acknowledge the errors he's made with who he's given the keys to his franchise, hires a consulting firm to help him find a hire that makes him uncomfortable, and give that person full reign over this team.

you don't have any passion, all you got is hate.  And if this is how you act towards family, I hope all yours are very small

1 minute ago, carex said:

you don't have any passion, all you got is hate.  And if this is how you act towards family, I hope all yours are very small

Yeah man, I have probably tens of thousands of dollars worth of money invested in Redskins gear, auto accessories, tickets, memorabilia, etc. because all I got is hate.

What I hate is the fact that this team was purchased by a young millionaire that knows not the first thing about how to build a successful football organization.  

What I love are several of the players and coaches and the fond childhood memories I have of what this team looked like before it went to hell.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah man, I have probably tens of thousands of dollars worth of money invested in Redskins gear, auto accessories, tickets, memorabilia, etc. because all I got is hate.

What I hate is the fact that this team was purchased by a young millionaire that knows not the first thing about how to build a successful football organization.  

What I love are several of the players and coaches and the fond childhood memories I have of what this team looked like before it went to hell.

your memories aren't this team.  And I'm putting you on ignore

6 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Uh-oh. All hell might break loose in March. Stay tuned. 

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not for a second have I not thought this was the case.  I fully expect them to try anything they can to get something for him.  I just don't see any logical way that happens without Kirk playing nice and throwing them a bone.  Even if Kirk was that nice, I can't fathom that McCartney is.

HUGE risk because if no one bites by March 14, 4pm the Cap is tied up with his hit & you're basically crippled until you can offload his Cap hit.

13 minutes ago, TK said:

HUGE risk because if no one bites by March 14, 4pm the Cap is tied up with his hit & you're basically crippled until you can offload his Cap hit.

well if it gets late enough they can do what the Panthers did with Josh Norman and pull the tag.  But really the most effective FA we got last year wa Zach Brown and that was late in the signing period.  Several players chose to wait till late to sign overall.  They may believe the draft pick(s) or player(s) they can acquire for him might be more important than the FA they might get, especially if they follow recent trends and don't go for top guys.

Also, on the idea of him not doing the Skins any favors and not wanting his new team to give up to much, the teams trying to trade for him will be the same ones trying to acquire him as an FA.  I don't think "Hey, I'm gonna be hard to get along with and tell you how to run your team" is really the first impression he would want to make,

and if the Skins trade him off the transition tag, which the one guy saying it's a minimum 28.8 million hit, must be possible, then his new team would also have a franchise tag available to them, making it a two year deal

8 minutes ago, TK said:

I absolutely agree that it's a huge risk not worth taking.  Just nothing Bruce does surprises me anymore.

I don't think much of him, but I can't begin to imagine he's that stupid to risk carrying 50M+ in QBs and the unbelievable drama and embarrassment attached to it.  The move for Smith was an attempt to keep his job, blowing 50M on QBs is the opposite.

So if they tag him thinking that they'll just trade him to Cleveland or wherever for a pick and Cousins doesn't want his choice taken away then he can just not sign the tag and leave them dangling for months. After that is over and they drop his tag he's still going to sign a huge deal with somebody.

Just more Redskins front office buffoonery. Why expect anything other than that?

:rofl89:

1 hour ago, carex said:

even in the NFL things do change and people learn from mistakes.  Just because three guys who have had fair to middling success managed to snag huge contracts does not mean this trend will continue forever.

Frankly considering three of the four QBs in the championship games were Nick Foles (even if he got there on hi starters success mostly,) Case Keenum and Blake Bortles this is as good a year to stop it as any

edit: ugh sorry for the double post.  Can someone explain to me how the site decides whether to merge your posts or not?  I figred there'd be another post or the two would automatically snap together

But it is anything but just a recent trend. Those are the only ones I highlighted.  This has been happening for years. New QB contracts have been setting the market for a while. 

Cousins was never signing here and Scot M did not believe he was worth large money as he needed a supporting cast.

Smith is here and he has a team friendly contract and is willing to mentor young qbs.

Tag him and trade him to the Browns or Jets.

3 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Not directed at you - actually thanks for posting this. 

There is only one thing I can think of dumber and more self destructive tan just letting Kirk walk if you do not get a deal by the March 14th deadline - that's tag him without a deal in place and Kirk on board. I get this is a business. But there is smart business and there is petty vindictiveness. 

Tagging him to try and force a trade is just straight up petty and vindictive. 

For once just move on!!  Just let it be over!! So tired of this crap. The one true silver lining in the Smith trade (which again I do not hate considering the ridiculous circumstances the FO put themselves in.) was knowing the saga would come to an end.  

3 hours ago, carex said:

well if it gets late enough they can do what the Panthers did with Josh Norman and pull the tag.  But really the most effective FA we got last year wa Zach Brown and that was late in the signing period.  Several players chose to wait till late to sign overall.  They may believe the draft pick(s) or player(s) they can acquire for him might be more important than the FA they might get, especially if they follow recent trends and don't go for top guys.

Also, on the idea of him not doing the Skins any favors and not wanting his new team to give up to much, the teams trying to trade for him will be the same ones trying to acquire him as an FA.  I don't think "Hey, I'm gonna be hard to get along with and tell you how to run your team" is really the first impression he would want to make,

and if the Skins trade him off the transition tag, which the one guy saying it's a minimum 28.8 million hit, must be possible, then his new team would also have a franchise tag available to them, making it a two year deal

If cousin's signs the franchise tag the Skins cannot take it back, Norman hadn't signed his tag with the Panthers so the took the offer of the tag off the table. And cousin's has said countless times that if put on the tag he would just play the year out.

HTTR 

4 hours ago, carex said:

As someone else already stated - once he signs it they cannot rescind it. The contract immediately becomes fully guaranteed. He would have to agree to trade or the Redskins would be stuck with his salary,

He has said he would just sign it. But I believe that was assuming he would be the starting QB. In this case he could negotiate with other teams, find his deal, then just not tell Washington. The team would eventually pull the offer making Kirk an URFA and therefore free to sign with anyone - no compensation needed. 

If they do not rescind then just sign it the last day and get paid a minimum of $28.8M to sit. Yes, they could in theory trade im then. But if Kirk makes it clear he is not signing an extension with any team trading for him, then no one is going to trade. It would incredibly stupid. 

I honestly believe this is all just smoke and mirrors trying to get a team to blink and offer something then hope they get Kirk to agree to a deal with that team. I would be more than surprised if March 14th comes without a deal and he gets tagged. it would just be bad form all the way around, Nothing good would come of it. 

4 hours ago, TK said:

We effectively have to broker this deal in February really. I'm not convinced Cousins wants a bidding war, or the hassle of a tag and trade scenario. He'll have a good idea where he wants to go. I personally think Denver.

Cap wise, massive risk, but I wouldn't totally discount our FO taking that risk. I mean, a couple of restructures and we clear a **** load of space. Now advocating that, but I could see it. 

Its happened before with Cassel and they got a trade out of it. The vultures will be all over Cousins, his agent might like that, but half a dozens GMs may not want the fight.

As you stated in another thread, the NFL is built on who you know relationships. Not sure how much street cred Brucey has, very little I dare say, but I could still see a deal for Cousins. If the comp pick of a 3rd in 2019 is about to be wiped out because we are going to spend in FA, you may as well try and scrape together what you can in this years draft.

9 hours ago, TK said:

McCartney has made Bruce look like a fool the whole negotiation let alone how many people have said he doesn't care for Bruce and the feeling is mutual.  Breer flat out said last year a key snag on the negotiation is Bruce doesn't want to look like he lost the deal.

With that in mind, is this Bruce's last attempt to show he is not as dumb as everything thinks he is when it came to that negotiation?  The problem is I think McCartney will just put the cherry on top as for having the last laugh at Bruce's expense versus Bruce turning the tables.  So I gather all he'd have to do is drag his feet a little and in essence force the Redskins to sit out FA.    

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So I gather all he'd have to do is drag his feet a little and in essence force the Redskins to sit out FA.   

I don't think it gets to that. It's either lined up before FA starts or we just let it roll and he walks into FA.

16 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I don't think it gets to that. It's either lined up before FA starts or we just let it roll and he walks into FA.

Probably so.  If so, McCartney calls their bluff and nothing happens.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to pull it off.   But as Mike Lombardi said from working with Bruce he likes to think he's smarter than the agents and plays games with them but the agents aren't fooled. So I presume since McCartney has played Allen like a fiddle.  It will extend to this, too.

Meanwhile I am reading that SF is nearing a deal for Jimmy G. and they didn't want to go the franchise tag route.  As Joel Corry said recently the Redskins have set a template for the rest of the league as for how not to handle QB negotiations.  Maybe that's Bruce's ticket to the hall of fame -- he's saved a lot of franchises future heartache in negotiations. No sarcasm here but I truly think the Kirk negotiation will go down as clinic case in point as to what not to do with contracts if there is such a think as classes in how to run a team.    

Archived