Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

28 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

at least cousins was a quarterback we didn’t bench... we haven’t had that in a long time... 

oh he got the body slam bench and looked concussed once he sat down

was that 2015? same year he generously offered us 19 mil per?

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

No....I do know how the market works and that was a terrible analogy. I always research where I get my steaks, I like prime dry aged and cooked a specific way. If that restaurant doesn't have that type of steak and I know it sucks, I don't pay the money.

Dear Lord Jebus, give me strength.

Do you actually have any concept of what you're even responding to? Because the post of mine you chose to respond to, the conversation that you chose to be part of, was about Kirk Cousins and what he will get on the market, and what he turned down. It has nothing to do with how good you, or me, or anyone else, thinks he is. It was about what he could get on the market, not whether random internet dude thinks he'll live up to his next contract. Are you aware of that? Do you have the capacity to grasp what is being discussed, that you chose to involve yourself in? Because your "points"  are so far off the target from what you responded to, it's hard to put into words how worthless your posts have been to this point.

About the only thing you've contributed is that you're likely the first person in this board's history to brag about his ability to buy steak.

So apparently Cousins is having a film crew following him around to "chronicle his free agency journey". That's awfully self-promoting and braggadocious for a guy who claims to be so humble.

Is he trying to pull a LeBron James and build his "brand"? At least LeBron was the best in his sport, and not just an above average player. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22739533/kirk-cousins-having-video-crew-document-free-agent-journey

12 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

So apparently Cousins is having a film crew following him around to "chronicle his free agency journey". That's awfully self-promoting and braggadocious for a guy who claims to be so humble.

Is he trying to pull a LeBron James and build his "brand"? At least LeBron was the best in his sport, and not just an above average player. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22739533/kirk-cousins-having-video-crew-document-free-agent-journey

I honestly knew the guy was full of **** when he started spewing garbage about how he hasn't had a chance to pick a place to play since he selected his college. You and everyone else in your profession, you tool!

We all thought it was bogus at the time, but Cousins has been saying for years that he and his agent were approaching the franchise tags and the long-term negotiations in a way not just to get him paid, but to change the market for future QBs as well. Like they felt a responsibility to show how it could be done, especially when the franchise tag was deployed. Well, documenting the final step of the process doesn't seem like a stretch to me, given that. Maybe some have forgotten Kirk said that, it was a while ago. 

Either way, anyone getting in their feelings over this is just looking like a salty, jilted ex. 

It's simple. We made the tactical error of tagging an at least above average QB. Then compounded it by tagging the QB again. All the while and to the end making it clear we weren't willing to pay him what he'd obviously get in a bidding war on the open market, while simultaneously giving him zero reasons to give us a hometown discount even if he was inclined to do so (he wasn't, and most players not competing for SBs or without firmly entrenched personal legacies don't, and that's fine). Note: None of this is influenced by how good or bad a QB any of us thinks he is, or what we think he "should" be worth, or anything like that. It just isn't relevant to the reality. 

And him hitting FA as a hot property while we had to move on was the end result, which is a logical outcome considering the series of events I outlined above. It's ridiculous to have hard feelings imo. I realize some of it is a fan reflex, a coping and defense mechanism. It's still silly, and there's a whole army of fans who will not let it go for the rest of his career and probably the rest of their lives, whenever his name comes up. Its going to be tiring. 

I wonder how it will look on camera when he hears Case Keenum will be signing with Denver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920793/article/free-agent-case-keenum-expected-to-sign-with-broncos

Somewhere in my head I hear him think "You don't like that!"

The potential field of landing spots continues to narrow, and, I would expect, that it may have a negative impact on the high end of any potential contract offer he will receive.

20 minutes ago, dav87sc said:

I wonder how it will look on camera when he hears Case Keenum will be signing with Denver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920793/article/free-agent-case-keenum-expected-to-sign-with-broncos

The potential field of landing spots continues to narrow, and, I would expect, that it may have a negative impact on the high end of any potential contract offer he will receive.

I haven't heard him seriously connected to Denver by anything but hopeful Denver fans for at least a week or two. The last 3 days I've actually seen Denver fans wringing their hands over the possibility they'd be stuck with McCarron if they missed out on Keenum as well. Vikings have been the favorites for a while, with the other teams probably pushing up the price. 

In short, I don't think Denver was a finalist, haven't seen them treated that way in the media for a while, and I don't think them signing Keenum has any real bearing on the market. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I haven't heard him seriously connected to Denver by anything but hopeful Denver fans for at least a week or two. The last 3 days I've actually seen Denver fans wringing their hands over the possibility they'd be stuck with McCarron if they missed out on Keenum as well. Vikings have been the favorites for a while, with the other teams probably pushing up the price. 

In short, I don't think Denver was a finalist, haven't seen them treated that way in the media for a while, and I don't think them signing Keenum has any real bearing on the market. 

I think it's more indicative of the market, rather than having an effect on it. I don't think they make this move if they think they have a real shot at Cousins. But I think they know he was going elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I think it's more indicative of the market, rather than having an effect on it. I don't think they make this move if they think they have a real shot at Cousins. But I think they know he was going elsewhere. 

Right, exactly. I think the hierarchy of potential landing spots had been made clearer the last couple weeks and certain teams who find out they aren't being considered anymore will just move on. But that doesn't mean the market's weakening, just that they didn't make it to the next "round". 

9 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Dear Lord Jebus, give me strength.

Do you actually have any concept of what you're even responding to? Because the post of mine you chose to respond to, the conversation that you chose to be part of, was about Kirk Cousins and what he will get on the market, and what he turned down. It has nothing to do with how good you, or me, or anyone else, thinks he is. It was about what he could get on the market, not whether random internet dude thinks he'll live up to his next contract. Are you aware of that? Do you have the capacity to grasp what is being discussed, that you chose to involve yourself in? Because your "points"  are so far off the target from what you responded to, it's hard to put into words how worthless your posts have been to this point.

About the only thing you've contributed is that you're likely the first person in this board's history to brag about his ability to buy steak.

Ok, ok you win. I apologize for not contributing to this discussion in the fashion that you are used to. Been on this board since 2003 so that does exonerate me from the "random internet dude" comment.  I also realize that my 149 posts pale in comparison to your 13k plus posts. Point was Kirk ain't no Dry Aged Prime rib. Easy big fella. 

4 hours ago, dav87sc said:

Or : I like that ! I finally get to play for a winner and I'm going to get them a discount (Vikings) :)

7 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Well, at the end of the 2017 season, he created a major event for his version of "The Decision." He certainly covets attention.

That said, I read his good-bye to fans, coaches, and the GM. I was glad to see it. I do wish it had worked out. I blame all sides. I'm glad it's done.

I am looking forward to seeing this documentary on this part of his NFL journey.  But I will tell you one thing it would be foolish as hell for him to sign with the freaking Jets.  If he wants to win and avoid massive migraines and endless frustration, no matter what the hell they offer,  just say NO to that mess which is probably on par with the Redskins.   

I have to admit I thought he was going Bronco's all the way until the Vikings showed up.  If Keenum is going to the Bronco's I just think Cousin's has to go the Vikings. Someone said he had hashtag Jets, Vikings under his blog letter to the Skin's fans and then removed it.  Either he knew that Keenum was the Bronco's pick or he had already narrowed his search.  

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sucks to be Case Keenum going to the Broncos after several of their best players had no shame in publicly recruiting Kirk and only Kirk for the past few months.  Dude is walking in as the consolation prize.  I'd imagine he's getting a pretty penny for his troubles though.

Just now, SWFLSkins said:

That's a good APY for him no doubt.  Guarantees will be interesting.  While he has one more playoff win, it's interesting that the team he got that playoff win with is willing to let him walk immediately following the season where that playoff win occurred, to pay another guy roughly 10M more than they would have had to pay him.  Time will tell on who got it right.  But I do find it interesting that Zimmer being very tight with Jay is willing to let his whole stable of QBs go and pay a buttload of money to Kirk Cousins.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's a good APY for him no doubt.  Guarantees will be interesting.  While he has one more playoff win, it's interesting that the team he got that playoff win with is willing to let him walk immediately following the season where that playoff win occurred, to pay another guy roughly 10M more than they would have had to pay him.  Time will tell on who got it right.  But I do find it interesting that Zimmer being very tight with Jay is willing to let his whole stable of QBs go and pay a buttload of money to Kirk Cousins.

Stats are like Crack. 

Just now, SWFLSkins said:

Stats are like Crack. 

and the grass is always greener on the other side.

I think Keenum suffers by definition. Have you ever been at a job where you were hired to do something and got pigeonholed? Where the powers that be couldn't get beyond your reputation and what they thought you were? Where you were typecast and the only way to move up was to get out?

I think Keenum and to a degree Cousins both suffered from this. Keenum's rep as a backup and not good enough to be a starter hangs over his head. The Vikes are stuck on the notion that he was their third guy and he was really only a backup everywhere else (and not a great one at that). It's possible that Allen couldn't get over the idea that they drafted Cousins to be the backup and even if he proved a good starter... the guy they wanted as a backup couldn't be GREAT! Mind you, I don't think that's quite it because you don't franchise someone you don't believe in twice and you don't offer to make him the third highest QB in the league. I think Cousins may have suffered from typecasting to a degree, but what he really suffered from is that Bruce Allen is a cheapskate and a lousy guy.

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I hope you tuned in to 106.7 the fan this morning @BatteredFanSyndrome

You laughed me out for the same observations lol

thats your validation? all that proves is that you either listen to the junks a lot so their opinions bleed into your consciousness or that you happened to land on one of the numerous media outlets that cover the subject with the same opinion as yours (partially). I'm not even suggesting you're assessment is incorrect but using the "but the sports junkies said so too" isn't really evidence.

Just now, onedrop said:

thats your validation? all that proves is that you either listen to the junks a lot so their opinions bleed into your consciousness or that you happened to land on one of the numerous media outlets that cover the subject with the same opinion as yours (partially). I'm not even suggesting you're assessment is incorrect but using the "but the sports junkies said so too" isn't really evidence.

Did I say any of that or are you just projecting because you want to? All I did was ask as sports buddy of mine whom I debate regularly if he heard them saying the same thing I said to him. 

Mind ya bitness homie. I dont know why you think its your place to "correct" me on here lol. 

So Case is expected to go to Denver. That is pretty interesting. This probably means Kirk is going to MN. I can't imagine Zimmer letting Case go without a solid replacement. It's not Bradford or Bridgewater. 

Here is a possible scenario - not saying it will happen - just saying it could. 

MN can still place the tag on Keenum. They have until tomorrow. They also have this time to legally tamper with Kirk - just can't get a signed contract. Let's just say for the sake of argument that the Jets blow Kirk out of the water and he lets MN know he is taking that offer.  MN could tag Keenum then attempt to work out a long term deal. They can beat the reported deal from Denver, assuming it's accurate. That would royally screw Denver who is now out of both QBs they want. 

I do not care one way or the other outside of it would make the NFL explode. It would be fascinating to see how it would be handled. Is MN the big bad wolf? Or it's just a business? Does Denver try to retaliate somehow? Are the Jets reckless for giving some crazy contract to Kirk (assuming that's what it takes - probably a good assumption with two people bidding for his services in this scenario), therefore raising QBs salaries exponentially yet again - the real reason the Redskins were fined for the uncapped year - owners were pissed that Wash and Dallast were paying FAs so much money, ultimately making salaries increase at a higher rate. Does the competition committee get involved? Do the change the rules to the last day of the tag is before the legal tampering? Does the NFLPA sue MN? The Jets? Denver? Can they? Does Case sit out and refuse to sign the tag? Do his demands go much higher? Is there already an agreement in place? 

I seriously doubt it would go down like this- but wow how fascinating if it did!!  

Archived