Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

1 minute ago, cakmoney61 said:

So you think the NY media will be expecting a super bowl because the Jets signed Kirk Cousins?  I never said there was no pressure playing for the Jets.  I said expectations will be higher because he would be going to a team that most believe are a QB away from winning a super bowl this year.

I think anyone who has followed sports in the last 30 years knows, for a fact, that the pressure in NY would be much higher than in MINN.  It can't even be argued...do you really not know this???

Yes, MINN would be expected to be better...so what...the NY media doesn't care about that. They care about making headlines...anyway possible...which is almost always via the low road.  First redzone pick or clunker of a game by Kirk and he will be destroyed. 

35 minutes ago, onedrop said:

as individuals probably not. but anytime something is done for ratings, money, the message, or delivery can become skewed or disingenuous. does anyone really think steven a smith sounds that way ordering a meal in a restaurant?  here we all get to come together AFTER the soundbite, report, or event and dissect, reflect, discuss etc...to me there is more value in that than the produced and packaged  content on the radio/tv alone.

I mean if you think they are disingenuous than thats fine. I cant really tell you if they are lying or not for the money. I cant really argue that as neither of us really knows. But this was way beyond my point when I was all like "Hey look this guy saw what I saw" and you asked me if it was my validation lol. 

I like their view point on things just as much as I enjoy yours. In the end they are just fans with way more access so I take them with a few more grains of salt. And only one of them is actually a skins fan I think anyway. The one who agreed with me lol. 

40 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

You obviously don't know much about the NY media.  They would eat his lunch.

I actually think hes more comfortable with the media than he is on the field. You ever watch him? He knows exactly what he wants to say and his messages are way planned out. Hes a pro on camera for sure. 

5 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

They care about making headlines...anyway possible...which is almost always via the low road.  First redzone pick or clunker of a game by Kirk and he will be destroyed. 

Thats actually a fair point. The DC media has been flirting with this but they are not anywhere near as ruthless. Good point. 

4 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

I think anyone who has followed sports in the last 30 years knows, for a fact, that the pressure in NY would be much higher than in MINN.  It can't even be argued...do you really not know this???

Yes, MINN would be expected to be better...so what...the NY media doesn't care about that. They care about making headlines...anyway possible...which is almost always via the low road.  First redzone pick or clunker of a game by Kirk and he will be destroyed. 

Obviously NY is a bigger market.  My point is Cousins may feel more pressure from within himself because he would be going to a team expecting to win a super bowl with him as the QB.  Cousins has a knack for playing his worst football when team expectations are at its highest.

I repeat:  I am not talking about outside influences, such as the media.  I am referring to him dealing with his own personal demons of being able to come through when his team needs him to the most.  Expectations will be at its highest from himself. 

I can't wait to see how he handles the pressure wherever he ends up.  His failure under pressure is why the debate continues about whether he is a franchise QB or not in spite of all the passing yards he's accumulated over the last three years.

33 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but rumors of contract negotiations or what some pundit said someone might be offering Kirk is not a Kirk demand. Has anyone actually heard Kirk or McCartney demand anything? People keep commenting on Kirk's crazy demands on contracts. Is the 30M a year for 3 years all guaranteed a demand McCartney made or we won't sign?  I somehow doubt that.

If that's true, not a fan of that.

Yep it's true..sorry I don't know how to attach stuff to stuff

2 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

Obviously NY is a bigger market.  My point is Cousins may feel more pressure from within himself because he would be going to a team expecting to win a super bowl with him as the QB.  Cousins has a knack for playing his worst football when team expectations are at its highest.

I repeat:  I am not talking about outside influences, such as the media.  I am referring to him dealing with his own personal demons of being able to come through when his team needs him to the most.  Expectations will be at its highest from himself. 

I can't wait to see how he handles the pressure wherever he ends up.  His failure under pressure is why the debate continues about whether he is a franchise QB or not in spite of all the passing yards he's accumulated over the last three years.

I think it would be hard the separate the inside pressure from the outside pressure in a place like NY where they are criticizing everything someone does (game play, clothes, wife/girlfriend, social life, etc).

But, I get your point and agree that (in my opinion) KC does seem to struggle in big moments.  If he does go to MINN, I could see them making the playoffs and then losing to a lesser opponent for the next couple years.     

If it’s true Vikings 3 years 91 mill How are we paying Alex smith 23.5 million for the next 4 years 2019-2023 and kirks signing for 27.5 for the next 3 years is younger and better it just blows my mind 4 million isn’t going to keep us from retaining or getting talent especially when it’s invested in the win position...it was just in 2016 smith had 15 tds passing this team

isnt built to win with a win that doesn’t have a notch for the end zone...

Just now, CjSuAvE22 said:

If it’s true Vikings 3 years 91 mill How are we paying Alex smith 23.5 million for the next 4 years 2019-2023 and kirks signing for 27.5 for the next 3 years is younger and better it just blows my mind 4 million isn’t going to keep us from retaining or getting talent especially when it’s invested in the win position...it was just in 2016 smith had 15 tds passing this team

You think the money was the problem or the people? I personally think it was the people and they just used the money as a good excuse. 

31 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Highest paid QB ever....

That may end up being his market value, may not. Market value and Kirk making crazy demands are not the same.  You are suggesting Kirk has demanded someone make him the highest paid QB ever. I've seen no evidence in 3 years that he has done that.

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

guaranteed money - smith is guaranteed $71 millions over 4 years compared to cousins (~84 million guaranteed over 1 less year - 3 years/28mill)

2 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

That may end up being his market value, may not. Market value and Kirk making crazy demands are not the same.  You are suggesting Kirk has demanded someone make him the highest paid QB ever. I've seen no evidence in 3 years that he has done that.

Come on man. He is very clearly looking to get paid his market value! You are splitting hairs here. 

11 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

So apparently Cousins is having a film crew following him around to "chronicle his free agency journey". That's awfully self-promoting and braggadocious for a guy who claims to be so humble.

Is he trying to pull a LeBron James and build his "brand"? At least LeBron was the best in his sport, and not just an above average player. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22739533/kirk-cousins-having-video-crew-document-free-agent-journey

But Cousins says it's not about the money. Please. This guys head is getting bigger. Never won a playoff game and has a film crew following him around. 

1 minute ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

I think it would be hard the separate the inside pressure from the outside pressure in a place like NY where they are criticizing everything someone does (game play, clothes, wife/girlfriend, social life, etc).

But, I get your point and agree that (in my opinion) KC does seem to struggle in big moments.  If he does go to MINN, I could see them making the playoffs and then losing to a lesser opponent for the next couple years.     

Although external pressures were not my point, if he plays bad in NY, the media will certainly exacerbate what appears to be a fragile mind.  His experience in NY could become a hellish one quickly and may leave him pining for his days in Washington. :)

1. John Keim Retweeted Adam Schefter

Way it was described to me last week: He'd visit with most serious bidder 1st. if all goes well... done deal. Minn a good setup for both; he gets his deal/can win and Vikes don't have to spend to build around him as much as others would have.

John Keim added,

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
    Kirk Cousins is likely to sign with the Minnesota Vikings, per sources. “No final decisions have been made,” Cousins’ agent Mike McCartney said today. “The plan is to visit Minnesota first. That’s all we can say right now.”

1 hour ago, TheBlueIndian said:

I would say it looks like its gonna be a short film. With Denver out, That leaves the Vikings, Jets and who else Maybe Buffalo or Miami ?

With a good crop of younger and cheaper quarterbacks available in the draft he almost has to go to a team that is built to win now and does not have a solid solution at the position, So that leaves him with the Vikings or sign a one year deal somewhere and hope Big Ben or Rivers retire at the end of the season.

#Ipricedmyselfoutofthemarket

The hell are you talking about. I get that you're one of the fans holding a grudge, but he's about to land in the #1 best situation and get paid between $25-30M per. Exactly what we've been told he wants, and he didn't have to choose a losing team over a winning team to get it.

This has worked out perfectly for him. You're reaching. 

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think him being the highest paid QB is a crazy demand lol. See what we are doing here? Haha

That's just how FA works. The next good player to hit FA at a position usually resets the market and becomes "the highest paid" for a while, until the next guy. Thats going to keep happening until the salary cap stagnates. 

A good but not top tier OG is about to get paid top OT money and reset the market for OL (Norwell). That's just how it goes. 

And if his market value is "highest paid", you think he should turn it down...so as not to offend you? Because you think it's crazy? It's not any player's fault that you lack an understanding of basic economics. This is why many of us have been saying for multiple years that he'd reset the QB market in open FA, and we'd have a hard time paying him enough to pass up that opportunity. How good you think he is compared to other highly paid QBs isn't relevant. 

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The hell are you talking about. I get that you're one of the fans holding a grudge, but he's about to land in the #1 best situation and get paid between $25-30M per. Exactly what we've been told he wants, and he didn't have to choose a losing team over a winning team to get it.

This has worked out perfectly for him. You're reaching. 

Yup..playing Green Bay and the Lions 2X a year. We've seen him against Arron and Stafford. I will watch him play in Lambeau in December. He'll earn the money for sure

Archived