Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

He's getting $4.5 million a year more than the $23.5 extension AAV for Smith. We lose a 3rd rounder and Fuller and we get a late 3rd (maybe). 

Everything about this is a complete failure. We would have been better off just signing Keenum. 

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Funny he didn't include Alex Smith in there and we are paying him near the same amount of guaranteed money.

Just a slight difference on the time frame of that guarantee though. IF Cousins plays well and was to get another year out of MN 4 years from now. You are talking about another 35 Mill probably. The Cousins and Smith contracts are WORLDS apart.

3 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

He's getting $4.5 million a year more than the $23.5 extension AAV for Smith. We lose a 3rd rounder and Fuller and we get a late 3rd (maybe). 

Everything about this is a complete failure. We would have been better off just signing Keenum. 

Again. We have Smith locked down for an additional 2 years. How much money do you think Cousins is going to want at the end of this 3 year deal?

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Agreed. But with that salary it will be the first 3rd round Comp pick.

Sorry, but you do not know that. It's a purposely complicated equation that includes playing time and other FAs signed. It could be a 4th, 5th or later. Redskins just used $8M of that on Paul Richardson WR - not a bad signing on another note - not trying to make this a FA thread as there is one but this is directly to the point of comp picks.

Everything you want to know about Kirk Cousins's signing (which will be really official by tomorrow) is already in BHRBN.

I would also advise everyone of you to check page 2 down there as things are moving fast, and will be tomorrow as well.

So be sure to not miss a beat!

http://es.redskins.com/forum/5-bubba9497-haphaszards-redskins-breaking-news/

And while I'm at it, that will be the last time I'll post about him.

Until he wears Burgundy and Gold once again...

Doubt it will ever happen.

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Sorry, but you do not know that. It's a purposely complicated equation that includes playing time and other FAs signed. It could be a 4th, 5th or later. Redskins just used $8M of that on Paul Richardson WR - not a bad signing on another note - not trying to make this a FA thread as there is one but this is directly to the point of comp picks.

Yeah. And we are still going to lose Bash (Whose contract alone will offset the Richardson deal), Brown, Murphy, Long, Compton and Galette. As long as we dont break the bank for anyone we will be getting the pick.

18 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

I think the fact that its 3 years is the biggest difference if im trying to find a way to justify it. And I am lol. That would mean we have to play this game again in two years and I just dont want to do that anymore. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. And we are still going to lose Bash (Whose contract alone will offset the Richardson deal), Brown, Murphy, Long, Compton and Galette. As long as we dont break the bank for anyone we will be getting the pick.

That's probably right but my point is it's not just about money. It includes playing time. And it's purposely convoluted so no one really knows. I wish they would just say what it is.

Also, let's wait till free agency is over. I hear we are in talks with Cromartie. There are likely to be others. You just listed all the guys that might leave - some of which are minimums or close - and put them against only one that we now is being signed. There will be more.

Anyway, while I agree it's likely there is no way of knowing for sure at this point. Too many unknowns.

My bad in advance if this has already been addressed, but how is this not tampering? I recall some "Legal tampering" rulebeing  put in place awhile back, but we have been hearing so much stuff for what seems like a few weeks, while he was still officially a member of our club. How exactly does that work, because with limiited knowledge of it and just a standard outsiders view on my end, it sure seems like he has been talking to teams for awhile now.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

My bad in advance if this has already been addressed, but how is this not tampering? I recall some "Legal tampering" rulebeing  put in place awhile back, but we have been hearing so much stuff for what seems like a few weeks, while he was still officially a member of our club. How exactly does that work, because with limiited knowledge of it and just a standard outsiders view on my end, it sure seems like he has been talking to teams for awhile now.

I am sure there were some back door talks which is technically tampering. But one thing the Skins did do early - and I give them credit for this - is made the deal for Alex quick. They may have even told Kirk to go talk to other teams with their blessing.

All teams have these behind the scenes discussion and would not call each other on it unless it was egregious. Everyone knew Kirk was gone so no real harm to the Skins.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

My friend was talking to AJ McCarron just a couple of hours ago and he was showing him some of the texts he has received from Hue Jackson, way beyond tampering.  He also said Bradford was going to Arizona and he thinks that means he will sign for the Bills as Bradford was choosing between the two and AJ is the consolation prize to the loser, this was over 90 minutes before the Bradford news broke so look for AJ to Buffalo later today.  They might as well scrap the tampering rules.

58 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Funny he didn't include Alex Smith in there and we are paying him near the same amount of guaranteed money.

Cap percentage each player takes up each year is the way to compare. 

Also length of deal. 

23 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Besides their own division, the Vikings have to face the NFC West, the AFC East, and a 1st place schedule in the NFC in 2018.  Man that's burtal.  Have fun replicating a 13-3 season from last year or better.  

Its always hard replicating 13-3. Its a league of parity.

41 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Just a slight difference on the time frame of that guarantee though. IF Cousins plays well and was to get another year out of MN 4 years from now. You are talking about another 35 Mill probably. The Cousins and Smith contracts are WORLDS apart.

Again. We have Smith locked down for an additional 2 years. How much money do you think Cousins is going to want at the end of this 3 year deal?

We still don't really know the details on either Smith or Cousins contract.  If what Chris Russell is reporting on Smith's contract is correct, it's much worse for the Skins than originally projected.  Time will tell.

As for how much Kirk is going to want at the end of his 3 year deal, who knows?  So much can happen in 3 years, good or bad.  Even Doug when talking about Smith's contract kept referring to 3 years, even though it says 5.  I guess if what you're getting at is that we could see a 37 & 38 year old Smith's contract as a good deal come that time, sure.  But a lot of stuff is going to happen to both him and the team between then and now.

6 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

My friend was talking to AJ McCarron just a couple of hours ago and he was showing him some of the texts he has received from Hue Jackson, way beyond tampering.  He also said Bradford was going to Arizona and he thinks that means he will sign for the Bills as Bradford was choosing between the two and AJ is the consolation prize to the loser, this was over 90 minutes before the Bradford news broke so look for AJ to Buffalo later today.  They might as well scrap the tampering rules.

Unless he sent those texts before yesterday, there is no tampering per the rules. They can do all they want to right now. They did this to give players a chance to talk with a few teams if they wanted to and to let teams talk to a few players. The old system did allow for that and both players and teams made mistakes.

Now if those texts were before yesterday than they would be tampering. But the teams generally do not go after other teams unless it's really egregious.

The texts were from over a week ago.  Hue was gushing to AJ about just sit tight and he is going to be his QB and then a few days into the conversation the news on Tyrod broke and Hue sent AJ a screenshot of Dorsey telling him that he needed to do what was best for the team and not worry about personal relationships.  Direct quote from Hue "I am sick of this ****, I am calling Jimmy".

Not claiming any connections here by the way, just happen to live in Mobile, Alabama and AJ was taking care of some business with my friend at his job, my friend played college football for Tennessee so they bonded a little.

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

It’s one way to approach an NFL career. I’m in no way saying it’s wrong. 

I wonder wheres hes beloved? Which helmet will be in the hall of fame? 

Probably in his home.

3 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Dude is like a pro QB mercenary.

In three years after the Vikings have jettisoned some of their key players Kirk will leave and **** over some other team. 

Savage

Frankly, I'm in awe of how he's done this.

2 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

After he's collected a significant portion.

And on the three year deal, they are quickly forced to negotiate more guaranteed money. Again.

Most five year deals are three year deals in disguise. Frankly, that's what Smith's contract is.

Kirk simply had the power to say, "If it's a three year deal, make it a three year deal."

I think by and large, NFL players are done with the non-guaranteed BS.

Archived