Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

And hey, kudos to him for getting to this point. They (he and his agent) have played the system brilliantly! Really flawlessly. Good for him. I hold no animosity at all. I hope he plays well unless he plays the Redskins. Then I want him to suck really badly...  :-)  

You peep that he put his new team, that he has no history with and no animosity towards, in the same position contractually that he put the Redskins in? It really does make me wonder if its the Skins or if this dude was just that shrewd of a business man. I mean he had reasons to stick it to us, I guess. But the Vikings are basically in the exact same situation we were in in 2 years. Even less control cause they cant back out now without rebuilding. We were already rebuilding lol

Honestly, its kinda awesome to see how he did this. He may cause a rule change from the owners and be the last guy that gets to do this. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

While their fan base felt hopeless about ever winning a Super Bowl, it wasn't because their ceiling was right around .500 every season.  The Eagles have been a superior organization to the Redskins over the past few decades and it's not even close. 

The Eagles have had better runs in the past 25 years but they've also had their share of low points just like the Skins have had. I get that Skins fans are not optimistic right now but it doesn't mean it cant turn around in a hurry. Look how fast we turned around with the simple addition of RGlll in 2012. All it takes is the right coach with the right draft picks and you can get good in a hurry. Happened in Dallas last year (2016) and they're as dysfunctional as we are. 

The Eagles have done a better job of getting good head coaches in the past 20 years as a whole than the Skins have and that's been the difference. I'd move on from JG quickly if this season doesn't start out well and would already be looking at my options if I were Skins management. I'd also look at GM options if we don't get this turned around. New GM and new coach could bring high hopes just like it did in L.A. for the Rams this past season. 

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

I don't see how someone can see how much better the Vikings are than us and not understand why we could not pull the trigger on that contract and they can. We still have a team to build. 

We always have a team to build. ALWAYS, since 1991.  Whether we have a QB or not. We had one, the most important part. Now we don't, we have a competent place holder for a couple years and his 24 M a year ain't building a team either. If we paid Alex 15M/year you'd have a semi argument. We still wouldn't build a team, we would go out and get a couple more McLineman's and Paul Richardsons or the Ram's receiver we got last year that sniffed the field a couple times and I can't remember his name. But keep on rooting. I really do admire your fortitude.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The Eagles have had better runs in the past 25 years but they've also had their share of low points just like the Skins have had. I get that Skins fans are not optimistic right now but it doesn't mean it cant turn around in a hurry. Look how fast we turned around with the simple addition of RGlll in 2012. All it takes is the right coach with the right draft picks and you can get good in a hurry. Happened in Dallas last year (2016) and they're as dysfunctional as we are. 

The Eagles have done a better job of getting good head coaches in the past 20 years as a whole than the Skins have and that's been the difference. I'd move on from JG quickly if this season doesn't start out well and would already be looking at my options if I were Skins management. I'd also look at GM options if we don't get this turned around. New GM and new coach could bring high hopes just like it did in L.A. for the Rams this past season. 

That will just not happen. They will be given the year - as they should. But if they do move on, whenever that is - I would for once like to try them hiring a GM then letting them pick the HC they want. I know JG is Bruce's HC, but he did not get to start with him. Dan hired MS and forced the two together. 

Let's try this the old fashioned way - let's get a GM and let them pick the HC and then the two work together to build a roster. I am not a fan of just doing things because that's how it's always been done - but let's get real. The redskins have not tried that method since Snyder bought the team. 

The jury is still out on Case Keenum. Did he catch light in a bottle for one season due to the team around him on the Vikings? Regardless, he led the Vikings to the NFC Championship, but then got walloped.  The Vikings front office is basically making the statement by paying Cousins all that guaranteed money that they think they would have won that game with Cousins. If not, why would you hand out that kind of cash?  

Certainly, the pressure is going to be big time on Cousins. He isn't on a  .500 team anymore hoping to get a wild card spot.  He is on a team that is set and ready to go for a trophy, but the clock is ticking.  The Vikes aren't maintaining that roster very long. Too many contracts coming up with players who will be paid a lot. 

If you think the "stats vs. play making ability" debate on Cousins was a thing in DC, just wait until this season starts, because Cousins is now in a situation where stats by themselves are meaningless.

I love the "I'm no longer a Redskins fan" posts. IMHO they never really were. I get it...I miss the Cooks and RFK, I loved sitting off the coast of San Diego on a Navy ship in the mid 80's listening to Doug Williams and Timmy Smith light it up I hated it when Brian Mitchell fumbled with a gaping hole in front of him against the 49ers. I have not liked being a bad team for the last 2 decades.  But I turn the TV or the radio on and partake in the  misery until the last play every season.

Cousins was going to the one, I swore up and down every game ,give him time he will grow. Didn't work out and now I will watch Alex Smith take the reigns with that new found hope of a winning season. 

Good  luck kirk

20 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Who is to say that Keenum would lead them as far next season?  He certainly wouldn't be doing it for 500K again, more like 36-40x that as well.

Keenum signed a 18 mil per year deal with the Broncos. Much more team friendly than Kirk's 3 year 84 mil guaranteed. 

But hey its a business and Kirk got his money. Good for him. 

13 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Keenum signed a 18 mil per year deal with the Broncos. Much more team friendly than Kirk's 3 year 84 mil guaranteed. 

But hey its a business and Kirk got his money. Good for him. 

I just said he signed for 36-40x the 500K he played for last year.  Which 36 x 500K is 18M.  I read he accepted a deal at 18-20M.

Are you under the impression that Keenum only took 18-20M to be team friendly?  That he left more on the table elsewhere?  I'd bet against that.

23 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

We always have a team to build. ALWAYS, since 1991.  Whether we have a QB or not. We had one, the most important part. Now we don't, we have a competent place holder for a couple years and his 24 M a year ain't building a team either. If we paid Alex 15M/year you'd have a semi argument. We still wouldn't build a team, we would go out and get a couple more McLineman's and Paul Richardsons or the Ram's receiver we got last year that sniffed the field a couple times and I can't remember his name. But keep on rooting. I really do admire your fortitude.

Look I just dont get as emotional about this stuff as yall do so its easy for me to see past Kirk. I do get the emotional attachment and how hard it is to have a guy with his talent just walk for nothing but its the situation we were in and we made the best move we could have in the moment. How we got to the situation was stupid. But that **** was settled in 2015 you have to get over it. 

Is the most important part of a football team the QB or consistency? 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

That really is not the point

Whether Alex is playing well or not, having control is the important thing.

My point is that having control over a guy that is going to be 37 and 38 years old with a lot of wear and tear is nowhere near the same as having control over a younger guy with much less wear and tear.  It doesn't have to be Kirk - insert any QB 4 years or more younger than Alex Smith and I'd say the same thing.  I admitted that it's a possibility that his 4th and 5th year of the deal could be a steal.  I just find that to be a very optimistic outlook and not so realistic expectation.  Having control for the 4th and 5th year sounds better than it most likely plays out.  Not the case for a younger QB.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

That was not an option we had past 2015. Thats what you are missing here.

You're telling me that I'm missing a point that can in no way be validated.  This whole Kirk wasn't going to do a deal after the first tag thing has so many holes and context missing that it's difficult to even entertain it as a point. 

Our options were to give Kirk 86 mil guaranteed for only we years where he has all of the control (which I remember many of you saying we were stupid to give him previously) or find a different QB.

The only reason why Kirk is able to get all that control is because Bruce was a dummy in the first place.  Like we've all talked about for several years going all the way back to 2015 is that placing the franchise tag on a young quarterback is a slippery slope where you start handing over leverage to the player.  So yeah, it was stupid to create this situation, yes.  But I'm not in here arguing that we should have given Kirk the same deal Minny did.

We found a different QB. Honestly the two contracts dont have anything to do with each other past the fact that they are for the same position. 

If by found you mean traded away a 3rd round draft pick and a 750K corner that plays like an 8-10M corner for the next 2 seasons, sure.

As for the contracts, it absolutely has a lot do with everything.  If the team had offered Kirk the same deal Alex just got at the very end of the 2016 season, we probably aren't having this conversation.  But besides that, the primary point is that Alex's contract is still big and doesn't create the ability to go on some team building shopping spree.

Also FU (in a playful way) for agreeing that the 5 years makes a difference once someone else said it lol. I coulda wrote anything and you wouldnt have given me even that. 

I only said that I agree 5 years makes a difference if you're talking about a young QB.  To me years 4 and 5 don't mean much to me for a guy that throws his first pass in year 1 of the contract at age 34.  I don't think Alex Smith is our QB in 2021 or 2022, even if he plays well in the first three years.

14 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Just curious, with their respective contracts, which player do you think made the bigger commitment to his team.

Alex Smith to the Redskins or Kirk Cousins to the Vikings ?

It's basically a tie. I would think that Cousins made a slightly bigger commitment since he chose to go to Minnesota. Smith signed what is essentially his last big contract here, which should be the goal of every player- one more big contract.

I really don't understand this nostalgia for players "wanting to be here." None of these guys really want to be anywhere. Like anything else, staying place is easier than leaving, because you build a life wherever you are. But no one drafted by a team has a choice in where they play. After that, it's a combination of money, winning, comfort, and connection to teammates that determines whether you "want to be here."

Wilbur Marshall is one of the best Bears ever and best Redskins ever. Was he tremendously disloyal to the Bears by signing with the team that kept eliminating the Bears? Did he want to be in DC or did he want that sweet sweet money and maybe a Super Bowl ring if everything worked out? Do you care one way or the other?

Stop being 8 years old and wanting these guys to be your personal heroes.

59 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Sure, the Eagles had a few low points, but their high points far exceed anything the Skins have done.  I posted it a while back in the Dan thread, just how drastically different the tales of the two owners are.  It's not even worthy of comparison.  Lurie wipes his ass with Dan Snyder.

First and foremost, they need to look at GM - not head coach.  Hire a legitimate GM with a respected background in personnel.  Not one that's out of football with nobody vying for his services.  Get someone currently in football, that would be a start.  If that GM wants to can Gruden and hire his own guy, so be it.  But that's the way it's done.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

The 3 years is the problem. In 3 with Smith we still have control and stability AND the chance to retool of need be for the next guy. In 3 years Minny will be playing the tag and highest paid player ever thing again. They could be in position to do that. We won't. 

It is sad lol

Maybe after showing Kirk he was their guy signing him two years ago, or 1 year ago, instead of telling him his whole career here he isn't worth paying, it would have engendered some loyalty and the whole being made the "highest paid guy ever again thing" wouldn't need happen.  ?? Maybe??  Maybe the Vikes do just that and he gives the fabled home team discount that nobody actually gives. The Smith deal is horrible. Didn't save us anything which was supposed to be the whole point.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My point is that having control over a guy that is going to be 37 and 38 years old with a lot of wear and tear is nowhere near the same as having control over a younger guy with much less wear and tear.  It doesn't have to be Kirk - insert any QB 4 years or more younger than Alex Smith and I'd say the same thing.  I admitted that it's a possibility that his 4th and 5th year of the deal could be a steal.  I just find that to be a very optimistic outlook and not so realistic expectation.  Having control for the 4th and 5th year sounds better than it most likely plays out.  Not the case for a younger QB.

Edit

I understand and already understood - but still control is control. MN has no control over Kirk. Had the Redskins signed him to the same 3 yr deal i would not have liked it. Puts us right back where we are now. 

I think we are splitting hairs here. You feel that control over an older QB is not that important. I disagree. Control is control. MN has virtually none and we have at least some. Would I prefer to have control over Kirk at age 30 for 5 yrs as opposed to Alex for 5 yrs at age 34? Of course. But control is control. 

Anyway, not that important honestly. Moving on...  :cheers:

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I just said he signed for 36-40x the 500K he played for last year.  Which 36 x 500K is 18M.  I read he accepted a deal at 18-20M.

Are you under the impression that Keenum only took 18-20M to be team friendly?  That he left more on the table elsewhere?  I'd bet against that.

Alls I'm saying is that Keenum would've beech cheaper for the Vikes and he already has a rapport with his receivers.

Doesn't matter anyway

6 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Alls I'm saying is that Keenum would've beech cheaper for the Vikes and he already has a rapport with his receivers.

Doesn't matter anyway

No doubt.  But it appears Zimmer and the gang who forgot more about football than I’ll ever know think Keenums ceiling is what they got last year.  Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Doesn't matter anyway

Keenum is also kind of awful. He had a decent year when they protected him to the Nth degree. But they saw him up close and know what he is.

Granted, we are the fan base that convinced ourselves that Todd Collins was a long-term solution and that John Beck deserved a shot so that's important to remember.

2 minutes ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

They have been ok.

They've won double digit games in 5 of the last 10 seasons.  11 or more in 3 of those 5.  Yeah, they've had some stinkers as well.

4 minutes ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

You could argue that the skins have been highly competitive as well.

Somebody pick me up, I just fell over.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Kind of sad that they still have a team to build, how many years into a rebuild?

But that aside, do you realize that Kirk Cousins contract vs. Smith is roughly the difference of one Terrell McClain?  Not without mention we have to replace a corner and have no third round pick this season to do it. 

Even with that, my issue isn't even so much with not paying Kirk the deal he got in Minnesota.  It's literally everything that transpired prior to this offseason, what we know and all the stuff I'm sure we don't know.

You don’t trade away a high draft pick and a young potential star cornerback for an old quarterback if rebuilding.  You keep those young valuable assets and roll the dice on a young quarterback in the draft.  If the pick looks promising then you sign long term ASAP.  Redskins did everything backwards.  The way it should have been done was bite the bullet and sign Cousins for 3 years all guaranteed then finish off the roster with draft picks and keeping those cheap but promising players like Fuller.  Get rid of the dead weights like DeAngelo Hall to make cap room.  Even trade Reed while his value is sky high for other needed positions then draft another TE.   Redskins are treading water for a few years so the fan base doesn’t revolt.  This was a panic/save face move made by amateurs.  In three years when Smith is 37 and if hopefully the Redskins get most of the rest of the roster squared away, they will have to reboot once again to find that rare hard to replace quarterback to get over the top. I see another decade of 5-11 to 9-7 records.   The reason why I would bet serious money that the Redskins will never make it to the SuperBowl as long as Allen and Snyder are there.  Right now I see two things happening...Redskins signing the dregs from other teams and overpaying....and people like Wilkerson coming just to get one last fat paycheck.  Wouldn’t surprise me if Suh comes to Redskin Park also.  SMH...it is maddening living thru this.

I agree Keenum would have been cheaper, but I also think people way underestimate how good the Vikes OLine is.  They made Keenum look good, when in reality I suspect hes actually below average, if not bad.  Remember when we played them?  We had gotten heavy pressure on EVERYONE.  We didnt look like getting close to Keenum, the line just dominated us.  

I saw an interesting tidbit that Cousins through the most interceptions under pressure this year.  He also didnt throw that many interceptions.  So that means he threw extremely few while not under pressure.  That just might be a match made in heaven for the Vikings and their dominant OLine.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

In fairness, someone in another thread said the browns were "Really competitive", so I guess saying we were "highly competitive" fits the lower standards here...

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They've won double digit games in 5 of the last 10 seasons.  11 or more in 3 of those 5.  Yeah, they've had some stinkers as well.

Compared to the Vikings in that time span from 2013 yes.

Archived