Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

2 hours ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

Dont think the majority of people are trying to ruin anything.

Are most disappointed with how they are rushing to end a show that most have loved for the last 10 years. I would agree with that. 

Can we blame the real villain? 

The show was stuck in place for like two seasons as they waited and waited and waited and waited for GRRRRRRM to write a book that they could adapt.

It became clear that they had to wrap this ****er up or cast members were going to start dying and/or quitting. So they are cramming probably 4 books worth of plot into 16 episodes after putting three books worth of plot into the prior 50.

They also have the impossible task of trying to tie up a story that has so obviously gotten away from Martin.

It's pretty clear that he has no idea where he is going with this story or he would have, you know, written the next piece of it. I think he knows that he probably needs 5 more books and 35 years to actually finish the damn thing in some coherent manner.

I'm reading fan theories pretty openly now, and there is apparently SOOOOOOOO much nonsense in the books that has been cut from the series, because what else can you do? Like....there's a totally OTHER Targaryan in the books who actually wants to be king.

This is what I've gathered. Nerds help me out here.

In the books, Jon is dead, I think and Dany is still on the other side of the ocean.

So, Martin needs to write Dany getting to Westeros, Dany meeting Jon, Dany and Jon deciding to take on the WW threat first, that ENTIRE plot, then they need to deal with whatever Lannister is still in power, and win that fight. Then, they need to deal with this entirely new Targaryan. Then, they need to figure out Jon's parentage and sort that mess out. Assuming that's even the direction he wants to go, and considering that I knew what R+L meant because book readers are the worst, that's bound to happen.

And that's only the main plot line. That doesn't wrap up the stories of the 76 other characters. Isn't the gay pirate trying to steal a dragon or something in the books?

So, yea, 4 books easy, right? And that's not even counting the other pair of sinister Lannister siblings that's bound to show up in the books at some point, right?

Your god has failed you. And. I. Love. It.

What happens when the gods fail? Chaos! Anarchy! Desolation! The end of time itself!

Winter has come, nerds!!!!! You wasted your lives!!!!!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

• Like 2

(Do you have any idea how long I've been waiting for this moment? I was annoyed with the fans of this show before all the "And that was the red wedding" bs. That sealed it for me. I would have my revenge. I would taste the blood of my enemies. And now it is here. And it is so much better than I ever imagined.

Seriously, I hope Tyrion invents dragon chain mail for the next episode or maybe gunpowder, because why the **** not? I want someone to have a rocket ship).

• Like 1

Holy ****, just thought of something. The army of the dead is stated to not be able to swim. I assume that means they also can’t perform metallurgy. So how did they:

1. Get to the dead dragon at the bottom of the lake

2. Create multiple large chains and a harness to get the dragon

39 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Holy ****, just thought of something. The army of the dead is stated to not be able to swim. I assume that means they also can’t perform metallurgy. So how did they:

1. Get to the dead dragon at the bottom of the lake

2. Create multiple large chains and a harness to get the dragon

ceBVO1637m-pr3Lje6J_A13vw0g=.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Yes.  All of that yes.  GRRM’s lazy ass is to blame.  He built up such a story that he had no idea how to finish it.

Or he sold out and promised not to release/finish  until the show is finished

3 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Can we blame the real villain? 

The show was stuck in place for like two seasons as they waited and waited and waited and waited for GRRRRRRM to write a book that they could adapt.

It became clear that they had to wrap this ****er up or cast members were going to start dying and/or quitting. So they are cramming probably 4 books worth of plot into 16 episodes after putting three books worth of plot into the prior 50.

They also have the impossible task of trying to tie up a story that has so obviously gotten away from Martin.

It's pretty clear that he has no idea where he is going with this story or he would have, you know, written the next piece of it. I think he knows that he probably needs 5 more books and 35 years to actually finish the damn thing in some coherent manner.

I'm reading fan theories pretty openly now, and there is apparently SOOOOOOOO much nonsense in the books that has been cut from the series, because what else can you do? Like....there's a totally OTHER Targaryan in the books who actually wants to be king.

This is what I've gathered. Nerds help me out here.

Yes, there is a character who claims to be the first child of Rhaegar and Elia Martel.   The one that supposed to be killed by the Mountain.  This is who Varys and Illyrio are hitching their wagons too, and not Dany (at least not yet)

In the epilogue of book 5, he has just landed in Westeros and seized storms end with the help of the Golden Company.

In the books, Jon is dead, I think and Dany is still on the other side of the ocean.

Technically not dead but got Julius Caesar'd at the end of book 5.

Dany is with Drogon in the Dothraki grasslands after she got Falcor'd away from Mereen.   

So, Martin needs to write Dany getting to Westeros, Dany meeting Jon, Dany and Jon deciding to take on the WW threat first, that ENTIRE plot, then they need to deal with whatever Lannister is still in power, and win that fight. Then, they need to deal with this entirely new Targaryan. Then, they need to figure out Jon's parentage and sort that mess out. Assuming that's even the direction he wants to go, and considering that I knew what R+L meant because book readers are the worst, that's bound to happen.

Pretty much.  Yes.  Though total curve ball if ends up not being that important.  I wouldn't put it past GRRM to attempt something like this.  

And that's only the main plot line. That doesn't wrap up the stories of the 76 other characters. Isn't the gay pirate trying to steal a dragon or something in the books?

Yes, he actually has a horn which is supposed to bind dragons to his will.  Problem is, it will slowly kill you once you blow it.  So the plan is, apparently,  to get his lackies to do it. 

Book Euron is nowhere near TV Euron.   He actually has a brother who is a badass fighter but also kind of an idiot, who is technically under Euron's command, though it is revealed later his plan is to overthrow Euron. 

TV tried to combine the two characters (and also split off some of that storyline to Arya), which was their modus operandi with many of the book characters.. 

Book Euron's plan is actually to seize the IT for himself.  They are actually attacking the Reach (where Highgarden is) 

So its actually worse than what you are laying out 🙂 Two more contenders for the IT that will have to be dealt with.  And there was actually kind of a third that also got eliminated at the end of book 5 in a somewhat humorous way

So, yea, 4 books easy, right? And that's not even counting the other pair of sinister Lannister siblings that's bound to show up in the books at some point, right?

Your god has failed you. And. I. Love. It.

What happens when the gods fail? Chaos! Anarchy! Desolation! The end of time itself!

Winter has come, nerds!!!!! You wasted your lives!!!!!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

I was disappointed when it was obvious that the TV would finish before the books.  I don't consider GRRM a god, but the Tolkien comparisons have now fallen completely flat since  he has allowed other people to finish his story for him.    He would have to knock the rest of the series out of the park in order to have a hope of redeeming that comparison.

I'm now content, that the D&D can't write a good, full screenplay for ****, without source material, and consider the TV a totally separate thing.  I'm not even buying into the whole "ending will be basically the same".   

So I will read the books if they ever come out.  And they most certainly will, one way or the other, even if GRRM gets hit by a bus.  

Edited by DCSaints_fan

The whole thing about people crying about Jon's "goodbye" to his dire wolf is a perfect example of people ****ing just to ****.  It's a ****ing wolf that as someone mentioned has had like 4 spots on the entire series.  Who ****ing cares.  

Those are the same exact people that wouldn't have been satisfied if GoT played EXACTLY how they wanted to, because then they would have wanted it to play out differently.  They won't be satisfied no matter how it ends.

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The whole thing about people crying about Jon's "goodbye" to his dire wolf is a perfect example of people ****ing just to ****.  It's a ****ing wolf that as someone mentioned has had like 4 spots on the entire series.  Who ****ing cares.  

Those are the same exact people that wouldn't have been satisfied if GoT played EXACTLY how they wanted to, because then they would have wanted it to play out differently.  They won't be satisfied no matter how it ends.

This is GOT you, people are over the top obsessed with this ****. EVERYTHING that happens it’s going to get heavily scrutinized, this is arguably the biggest show of all time. Accept that and move on. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Sure there are some people like that, but a lot of people aren't unhappy with the final outcomes, just the bs way they are getting there. Like you can't have the last dragon walking/standing  within shooting distance of all those ballistas and Cersei not immediately killing all of them. That's just dumb. 

The NK army overwhelming the army of the living isn't surprising but have some semblance of the living not being total ****ing idiots. Most aren't asking for a lot here. 

• Like 1

Bad news: the human are mostly selfish idiots.  One of the directors mentioned shakesperian, it makes sense to me now, those dramas bad stuff happened to most of the main characters for their bad decisions.  I'd rather this not be perfect.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

David Nutter is a dumb***. If you **** up, just own it. That excuse is pathetic. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Bad news: the human are mostly selfish idiots.  One of the directors mentioned shakesperian, it makes sense to me now, those dramas bad stuff happened to most of the main characters for their bad decisions.  I'd rather this not be perfect.

Again, there is a difference between not being perfect and dumb ****ing **** that they are doing. The characters all have flaws and they all **** up, but damn, give them a little bit of sense. 

Edited by Hersh

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Its not ****ing just to ****. The direwolves have been part of the story since the first episode and all of them have a connection to their Stark counterparts except Lady because she was killed so early. Not to mention Ghost was shown a lot in the previous seasons. He’s been a big part of Jon’s story.

Aside from the poor writing, just think of the in-world reality. This is a damn near mythical beast that were never seen south of the wall before but has now been by your side for like 7 years. He’s killed your enemies and protected you, your friends and fought in some of the biggest battles you’ve had. It is a symbol of your strength, greatness and the legendary aura surrounding you that you have one as pet, fiercely loyal to you. It’s a smaller scale but similar to Dany’s dragons. 

Why would anyone just give this animal away? They wouldn’t. Jon especially wouldn’t after bonding with ghost and on top of that he just walks away without even so much as a goodbye. It’s a betrayal of his character at a fundamental level and it happened not because it made sense within the story or character but because they had to write ghost out of the show because they didn’t want to dick around with the cgi. 

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Again, there is a difference between not being perfect and dumb ****ing **** that they are doing. The characters all have flaws and they all **** up, but damn, give them a little bit of sense. 

They are less then imperfect they are all deeply flawed in their own ways.  This isnt all the president's men, release your expectations, I'm happy I dont know what's going to happen so I'm putting up with stuff that might make my head scratch.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

They are less then imperfect they are all deeply flawed in their own ways.  This isnt all the president's men, release your expectations, I'm happy I dont know what's going to happen so I'm putting up with stuff that might make my head scratch.

You just hit on it. The show created the expectations with great writing and scenes in the past. Therein lies the problem. 

There is a difference in a flaw and being stupid. Ned being so honorable that he gave Cersei a chance to save her children cost him his life. That’s a flaw. 

Robb marrying Talisa because he loved her was a flaw and it cost him. That’s tragic, that’s Shakespearean.

Tywin being all consumed with his legacy and shunning his own child that he thought an abomination to that legacy ultimately led to that child killing him and destroying his legacy. 

People don’t have real flaws now. They just do the most stupid thing possible to setup the next plot point or “wow” moment. 

Im completely on board with the story of Dany becoming a mad queen tyrant type of figure. I think it fits within the story, fits with what we’ve seen of her character all this time and is a truly interesting angle to take. Still doesn’t mean that the show is handling it well or that it couldn’t be done a lot better.

again aside from the massive letdown of the WW, i don’t really have much of a problem with where the story is going it’s just that bad decisions in the writing or directing really drag down the good. I can ignore a Starbucks cup. I can even ignore bad lines of dialogue. I can’t ignore outright betrayals of character and comically stupid decisions from previously smart characters simply to serve the plot. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Yes, there is a character who claims to be the first child of Rhaegar and Elia Martel.   The one that supposed to be killed by the Mountain.  This is who Varys and Illyrio are hitching their wagons too, and not Dany (at least not yet)

In the epilogue of book 5, he has just landed in Westeros and seized storms end with the help of the Golden Company.

Yes, I remember reading this. Since I read the books years ago, I don't remember everything going on in them. 

It seems that the TV show has gone far afield from the books. However, I am watching the show just for itself.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

You just hit on it. The show created the expectations with great writing and scenes in the past. Therein lies the problem. 

Self-centered, larger then life characters can kill great writing making them wise when the premise their character is leading to unwise decisions.  It's how you get the drama of one of Dany's advisors possibly wanting to kill her.  Hard to make bad people look good, coming to a head with no source material.  This is a 1st-World problem, which is why culturally I'm smiling at the outrage.