Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

On 5/8/2019 at 1:28 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

For me it was in season one when Littlefinger was training whores and made them eat each other out.  That was my "yeah this thing is real dumb" moment. 

In retrospect, that scene was quite clever.   Most viewers were so distracted by the gratuitous sex, that you weren't paying attention to what Littlefinger was saying.   Kind of like how Ned Stark was so distracted, he wasn't paying attetion to what Littlefinger had been telling him - not to trust him. 

https://www.popoptiq.com/lesbian-scene-analysis-game-of-thrones-s01e7-you-win-or-you-die/

Essentially, the show uses its extreme nudity to cloak to the scene’s central conceit, so that when it passes, we only have a vague, seemingly nebulous recollection of what’s been said. When the twist does eventually happen, we are surprised insomuch as it’s surprising, not because it’s inherently unfathomable.

9 hours ago, visionary said:

I've been thinking Tyrion or Jon has Varys killed for treason and then has to kill her themself later.  If Jon does it or takes part, I can see him exiling himself as punishment.

Not sure what happens with Drogon though if he is still around after Dany's death.  Also not certain this is what will happen.  Dany or Cersei even could still somehow be on the throne when it's over.

I'd like to see Tyrion, Jon, Arya, and Sansa survive.  Not sure about the rest. Sansa seems safest right now, but not sure what happens when Jon realizes she broke her oath and may be helped cause treason and infighting (rightly or wrongly).

I think there's very little chance Sansa faces any sort of punishment from Jon.  They are way too close for that to happen.  If the information gets out, Jon has noone to blame but himself -- he and not Sansa is the source of the original leak. 

I think it shows that some part of him realizes that he really belongs on the throne, not Dany, whether he likes it or not.  There is really no other reason on earth to tell Sansa and Arya, knowing full well that he has given Dany the impression that he'd keep his mouth shut. 

Which I find very interesting, as it is out of character for Jon.  Almost devious.  The first time Ive really seen him, consciously or subconsciously make a play for the throne.  But it also causes me concern.  One consistent theme about this show is that the characters who are untrue to themselves, and go back on their word (especially if they are considered trustworthy), are soon to be dead.  Ned Stark, Rob Stark, Lady Stark -- all of them seemed to be trustworthy, and all of them lied or went back on their word, and were killed shortly thereafter.  It is part of the grim justice that really does govern this world GRMM has created.

People like Cersei stick around because they dont claim or pretend to be anything than what they are -- Cersei is openly dishonest, which is actually a type of honesty in and of itself.  Cersei has stayed true to herself.  But if Jon starts playing a two-way game, letting Dany believe one thing, and then doing another -- then he is soon to be dead.  And Daenyrs is soon to be dead herself if she continues to show that she just wanted the throne all along at any cost, and that the whole claim about being the breaker of chains and wanting to make a better world were just B.S. -- B.S. that she may have tricked herself into believing, but will not spare her from the grim justice of GOT.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jon should sit the throne. Maybe as a George Washington type. Without Dany (dead) and his love for Ygritte (dead) he chooses not to have heirs and instead rules the realm into control and tames the chaos before going north to live his best life in the wild and handing off to a Democracy. But not sure how you cover any of that in the time remaining

It’s a problem that he didn’t finish the books, but millions of other shows can create new content without adapting source material and make a compelling story out of it.

They had 6 seasons of beautiful setup and couldn’t bring it home on their own, betraying the very characters and story they’re built. They are either just bad story tellers or they just got lazy. It’s most likely a mix of the two. 

I mean saying Dany “kinda forgot about the Iron fleet” as a justification for being ambushed on an open sea is telling. They are reverse engineering the story from a few wow and setup moments they want to have and don’t care how they get there which causes them to make characters stupid in order to get there because they either can’t write better or won’t take the time to write better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Long story short. They focused on ending it in a timely manner. However, they are ****ty writers so they did a bad job. 

Predetermining a fixed number of episodes prior to the story being written could be described as "timely", but that doesn't really capture what he's saying.  His opinion centers around the idea that they changed the way the story was written fundamentally, from character driven to plot driven.  They did this years into the shows run and fans noticed the difference. 

Plot driven could still work with a talented creative team. It really feels like the last two seasons were written over the course of a week long retreat. 

There are tons tons of ways even with just 13 episodes this could have ended better even just slightly tweaking a thing here or there. 

Ultimately, signing off on the “capture a wight” plot of season 7 reveals that they just don’t care. Nothing singlehandedly undermines the show in so many ways as that idea and the way that idea was written. That it got through everyone on the writing team and show runners etc the way it was was a glaring red flag that they weren’t prepared to or capable of landing this plane any way other than with a crash and burning heap of rubble 

10 hours ago, visionary said:

I just read these and hated all the answers.

I knew the answer about why they didn’t show the reaction of Sansa and Arya upon Jon’s news, however it’s a BAD answer. “We’ve seen this scene before and it would be a waste of time.” 

Ok, the telling is known, the reaction of Jon’s family is not.  This would have been cool.

I think they just bolluxed up the whole episode in terms of what was important and what wasn’t because they wanted to kill a dragon and Messandei to set up mad queen plot line.

to which I say hurumph.

This is pretty damn bad ass. I laugh every time I see it.   :) 

Personally I’d be happy to bend the knee to Emelia.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It’s a problem that he didn’t finish the books, but millions of other shows can create new content without adapting source material and make a compelling story out of it.

They had 6 seasons of beautiful setup and couldn’t bring it home on their own, betraying the very characters and story they’re built. They are either just bad story tellers or they just got lazy. It’s most likely a mix of the two. 

I mean saying Dany “kinda forgot about the Iron fleet” as a justification for being ambushed on an open sea is telling. They are reverse engineering the story from a few wow and setup moments they want to have and don’t care how they get there which causes them to make characters stupid in order to get there because they either can’t write better or won’t take the time to write better. 

They also seem to have gone out of their way to really dumb down Tyrion this season which is bizarre seeing as not only has he been a fan favorite forever but his best quality was his intelligence and cleverness.

• Thanks 1