Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You can have the House of Cards comparison because that show is a poorly written mediocrity too.  But if we were having this argument in person, we would come to blows for you dragging LotR and West Wing through the mud like that.

House of Cards comparison was merely to compare the politics involved in the story, not the quality of writing. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

In all seriousness, you thinking this show is great and an example of great writing has me questioning things.  The screenwriting was the most glaringly bad element of the production to me.  I trusted your taste before man, but now I don't know.  To say this dumb show is well written is to accept, consciously or unconsciously, a huge and worrisome degradation in our aesthetic standards. 

1) How dare you.

2) Well I guess now you know what it feels like for us to read your confederate statues take after the other positions you post on here. 

3) You're still wrong and I'm not even going to get worked up about it. This is borderline trolling. I assume you are bored and since you apparently are, go find the multitude of examples of such unthinkable, laughably bad writing in the first 4 seasons. Writing so comically bad people should be ashamed for thinking it is good. 

54 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Ah the book snobbery coming to the surface explains A LOT of the people ****ing recently.  

Except it doesn't. Show complaints are show complaints and are justified with the dramatically inferior quality of storytelling and characters we have now. 

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I disagree. No titties were better than Missandei's...hell, that was maybe the most smoking body I have ever seen.  But admittedly, now I truly regret wishing she could give me head...

You spelled Melisandre wrong...😉 I know, to each their own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Using lazy terms “garbage” and “trash” completely ruins the rest of your argument because it makes you look amateur in your criticism.

The direwolves are completely inconsequential to the telling of the story and I don’t care if they are or are not a part of it, so I won’t bother complaint about how they were or were not filmed.

Just be glad he didn't misspell anything.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:23 PM, Springfield said:

This thread is a great example of how the internet tries to ruin everything nice.  Here we have, some of the best television in the history of television, and people are just ****ting on it from all angles.

Like, just stop watching.

The last two shows were great with the battle of Winterfell being one of the best TV show episodes of any show ever.

23 hours ago, Springfield said:

Maybe it’s a vocal minority, but there is an abundance of negative posts surrounding this season.  Nit picking every aspect of the show from the moment it airs.

The last part of your statement is exemplary of why the internet ruins everything good.  Once something attracts a huge amount of popularity, fans become ever consumed with its existence.  If this “good thing” doesn’t top the fans ever growing expectations then they start to turn.

There is a certain segment of GOT fans, the vocal ones, who will never be satiated by the show’s outcome.  No matter what happens, it won’t be enough.

What is this your first day on the internet pal ? Its what people do on forums. Sometimes you come to agree , sometimes you come to disagree  But if opinions on a Game of Thrones sub forum is ****ing up your enjoyment of the show you need a mental holiday from the interwebz. 

I personally have enjoyed this final season, i think its been great, Was Arya killing the night king and saving the day out of place ? Yeah , Unrealistic  ? Probably not, i mean she did train in Bravos for like 6 seasons becoming a assassin. It did feel very out of place though. Game of Thrones M/O has always been i want to say, a realistic and dark take on high fantasy as opposed to the bubble gum, hero saves the day and they lived happily ever after Tolkien take on fantasy, It just didn't feel very Game of Thronesy to me. Its no secret the writer ( REAL WRITER ie Book author ) Is still finishing how his SERIES will end. We are told he shared this with the shows writers but this is still their version and not George RR Martins, and it shows Big Time.

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

1) How dare you.

2) Well I guess now you know what it feels like for us to read your confederate statues take after the other positions you post on here. 

3) You're still wrong and I'm not even going to get worked up about it. This is borderline trolling. I assume you are bored and since you apparently are, go find the multitude of examples of such unthinkable, laughably bad writing in the first 4 seasons. Writing so comically bad people should be ashamed for thinking it is good.

1 - Interesting that you compare liking this show to liking confederate statues

2 - Yes I am bored.  And don't tempt me.

3 - Of course I'm trolling you.  I just stole a speech from Braveheart and made up some nonsense about the decline of verse in China in the 9th century out of whole cloth to argue that liking this show is un-American.  I'm having my fun out of pure schadenfreude over the disappointment people who think I was crazy now feel with this show.  The same disappointment I felt the first time I watched it.  I know you have taste and that you see the ****show.  I'm giving you a hard time because you get it.  I am curious about when exactly you lost your suspension of disbelief.  For me it was in season one when Littlefinger was training whores and made them eat each other out.  That was my "yeah this thing is real dumb" moment.  Plus one thing I don't think you've truly accepted yet is that Weiss and Benioff are hacks.  They didn't suddenly forget their talent, they never had it.  They just had great source material, until they didn't.  The lack of subtlety, wit, vision, vivacity, authenticity, originality--these are the hallmarks of mediocre artistry and they have been there in the show since the beginning.

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

I feel bad for reading your rambling rant.  Close enough?

Oh please.  Reading me made you like 3% smarter for the day.  You can skip that crossword puzzle in the paper now and watch cat videos instead.  You're welcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Oh please.  Reading me made you like 3% smarter for the day.  You can skip that crossword puzzle in the paper now and watch cat videos instead.  You're welcome.

No way.  I'm at least 1000000% smarter after your post.  1000000% x 0 is ????  Ooooh!  Cats!

43 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Elilia Clarke trolls all the people furious about the coffee cup controversy.  

Rock on Emilia.  Rock on...

EDIT: Kit is actually promoting the good.  

I didn't realize that Emilia Clarke was also a midget.  Maybe that goes to my theory that the Targaryons and Lannisters are all secretly offspring of the Ned Stark's father.

Someone might have said it but I wonder if we'll find out Sansa leaked not because she's a leaker but because it's all a plan to put Jon on the Throne and allow her to technically not have to bend the knee to Dany and keep the north "Free."

She had to know Tyrion would leak to Varys and once its with Varys, as he said, "it's information."

So a) Varys keeps cycling it as he does, and it slowly becomes the worst kept secret in the land, and/or b) Varys actually sides with Jon and suddenly Jon has a powerful ally who would know how to play the game and manipulate things for Jon.

I've been thinking Tyrion or Jon has Varys killed for treason and then has to kill her themself later.  If Jon does it or takes part, I can see him exiling himself as punishment.

Not sure what happens with Drogon though if he is still around after Dany's death.  Also not certain this is what will happen.  Dany or Cersei even could still somehow be on the throne when it's over.

I'd like to see Tyrion, Jon, Arya, and Sansa survive.  Not sure about the rest. Sansa seems safest right now, but not sure what happens when Jon realizes she broke her oath and may be helped cause treason and infighting (rightly or wrongly).

Edited by visionary

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I think the bigger news here is Khal Drogo was on set during filming. Wouldn’t be shocked if there is a death scene gladiator style vision with Dany returning home to him 

This was known ages ago through Instagram posts during filming and they went out of their way to state it’s not a spoiler,  he’s just there visiting.  There was actually a rumor at one point Jason and Emilia were a thing.

They have been so careful to keep  spoilers out of the news, I doubt they would let one of their stars post an Instagram picture of them together. 

On 5/8/2019 at 4:28 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I am curious about when exactly you lost your suspension of disbelief.  For me it was in season one when Littlefinger was training whores and made them eat each other out.  That was my "yeah this thing is real dumb" moment.  Plus one thing I don't think you've truly accepted yet is that Weiss and Benioff are hacks.

For me it was season 7. I was fully bought in until then when the cracks really started to form. Again, I could overlook bad poosay and some other missteps before. 

I never cared for the “sexposition” scenes like the Littlefinger one you mentioned but I know they want to take advantage of the freedoms HBO allows so I ignored it. A lot of it also seemed to fit within the world. 

Season 7 is where the train went off the rails and it started with the episode 5, Eas****ch. This is where it starts with Jaime and Bronn surfacing onto the shore of the water 150 yards downstream from where Jaime fell in. This was when they first really put a character into a stupid position just for the sake of creating a wow moment and then pulled some bull**** to keep them alive.

i guess you could say that the Battle of the ****s had a couple moments like that especially with Jon charging in solo and being saved by the Calvary. I kinda accepted that because at that time Jon didn’t really care about dying or seeming like he wanted to be alive. If it ended it ended. And besides, I can overlook that when the rest is pretty top notch and Jon alone pulling his sword in front of the Calvary charge is the iconic shot of the series and breathtaking. And it still fit within the rules of the world. 

Jaime and Bronn surviving in that way did not. They hand waved it away. It not only requires something truly impossible for them to actually do but it also requires other characters to be stupid, like not having a single Dothraki or dany think to search for Jaime. 

And the thing is, they could have had the same results and not made that scene so unrealistic but improved it quite a bit. What’s the difference if Dany does capture Jaime there but Tyrion talks her into letting him go to parlay with Cersei? Or they take Jaime back to Dragonstone until

they need a meeting with Cersei and Jaime is the bait to facilitate that? He’s released in exchange for a peaceful meeting with Cersei at Tyrion’s request to discuss the WW threat . The possibilities are endless but they chose to go for mindless spectacle. It was senseless and undermined the world and rules established within this world for 6+ seasons 

From there it just went downhill. The capture a wight plan was truly awful. The fact that they completely laughably inexcusably defied logic for getting Dany there to save them is unforgivable. Like really unforgivable. Again, the entire red wedding happens because of the geographical realities of traversing this world. Robb couldn’t cross a ****ing river and it took too long to go around. Then you have Gendry running miles and miles back to the wall, a raven flying across the entire continent and then dany flying back all within a day. It just undermines everything. And at that point it really transitioned to just making whatever you wanted to happen happen simply for shock or wow factor or audience reactions etc. it didn’t matter if it made sense within the story or with the character arcs and motivations that we’d had for so many seasons. It became all spectacle with the story and characters being afterthoughts. 

And yeah D&D might be hacks, they probably are. But they did a great job with seasons 1-6 imo. They even had some fantastic moments without source material. I think they just got burnt out on this show and wanted to do other stuff. They signed up to make an adaptation and they couldn’t do it any longer so they just lost interest and went for the easiest way out. It’s obvious in the writing. Nobody labored over these last two seasons. I wish they had just left and let some others finish the series. 

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This was known ages ago through Instagram posts during filming and they went out of their way to state it’s not a spoiler,  he’s just there visiting.  There was actually a rumor at one point Jason and Emilia were a thing.

They have been so careful to keep  spoilers out of the news, I doubt they would let one of their stars post an Instagram picture of them together. 

just what you’d expect them to say to hide a spoiler lol 

but yeah im sure you’re right. They’d never pay off an old vision or show any love for the character’s past at this point 

1 hour ago, visionary said:

I've been thinking Tyrion or Jon has Varys killed for treason and then has to kill her themself later.  If Jon does it or takes part, I can see him exiling himself as punishment.

Not sure what happens with Drogon though if he is still around after Dany's death.  Also not certain this is what will happen.  Dany or Cersei even could still somehow be on the throne when it's over.

I could see Jon joining Ghost in a reunion north of the wall with Tormund to live out his days as a free folk after having to kill Danny to save Kings Landing.  Maybe that’s the ghost payoff...

1 hour ago, visionary said:

I'd like to see Tyrion, Jon, Arya, and Sansa survive.  Not sure about the rest. Sansa seems safest right now, but not sure what happens when Jon realizes she broke her oath and may be helped cause treason and infighting (rightly or wrongly).

Sansa has to hope Jon/Danny win because if Cercei wins she’s probably dead. 

—————————-

I just can’t get out of my head that Jamie has tried to return to Cercei to be by her side.  And he comes across Arya on the King’s Road somewhere, she figures it out, kills him, and uses his face to get into King’s landing.

Then my imagination goes crazy:

With a battle raging outside, Arya has to get by the mountain to kill Cercei.  Sandor helps distract the mountain, Arya kills Ceicei. Mountain kills Sandor.  Dragon fire gets mountain (fitting he should die by fire). Arya dies as Danny goes crazy burning down the city. 

Jon kills Danny to stop her from burning down the city after Arya is caught up in the cross fire. 

Jon leaves for the North with guilt.

The Iron Throne is not claimed by anybody because there is nobody really left.

The last shot of the show is Sansa running Winterfell alone.

11 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

but yeah im sure you’re right. They’d never pay off an old vision or show any love for the character’s past at this point 

I’d say that if this was the first we’d seen of it, maybe it could be true.  However given it was suck a story back during filming, I doubt it.

That said, it would be like hiding a spoiler in plain sight. Which would be cool. 

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Maybe Dany rages and goes after Sansa, and Jon/Arya are forced to step in between. 

I'm thinking every major character ends up dead. Save for Arya, who will just disappear in Westeros.

I kinda think she returns to the house of black and white and transitions fully to no one.  

30 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Boy if the hound still can’t kill the mountain after everything he’s been thru...man that poor guy. That would suck 

It just seems TOO obvious. They’ve been telegraphing this since season 1.  

This show typically doesmt do EXACTLY what they want you to think they’re going to go.