Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Self-centered, larger then life characters can kill great writing making them wise when the premise their character is leading to unwise decisions.  It's how you get the drama of one of Dany's advisors possibly wanting to kill her.  Hard to make bad people look good, coming to a head with no source material.  This is a 1st-World problem, which is why culturally I'm smiling at the outrage.

Of course all this is in the context of first world problems. 

What you said though is entirely missing to point so let me clarify in another way. It's the writers that are making terrible decisions. They could've not had the dragon in killing distance in the last scene. That's pretty simple to have still the same outcome at the end without the writers making a giant blunder, again. Maybe the people not thrilled with the writing are more into the series character development than people just watching without a care. No knock on the latter 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

What you said though is entirely missing to point so let me clarify in another way. It's the writers that are making terrible decisions. They could've not had the dragon in killing distance in the last scene. That's pretty simple to have still the same outcome at the end without the writers making a giant blunder, again. Maybe the people not thrilled with the writing are more into the series character development than people just watching without a care. No knock on the latter 

This may sound crazy, but I believe Cersi wants Dany to try to attack with her lone dragon and force her to kill civilians.  Thought that was her plan, trying to get in her head.  If she knows she can kill that dragon at any moment, this is personal when it doesn't need to be, goes back to her being a flawed character.  She's trying to send a message she doesn't need to send, you're saying that's bad writing, I think it's good writing for a bad person.  I can see the arguement there isn't the same amount of effort by missing something like the coffee cup, but I guess I like it more because I'm not demanding it be to this standard it was set to. I'm just saying I like it, and I'm fine with it.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This may sound crazy, but I believe Cersi wants Dany to try to attack with her lone dragon and force her to kill civilians.  Thought that was her plan, trying to get in her head.  If she knows she can kill that dragon at any moment, this is personal when it doesn't need to be, goes back to her being a flawed character.  She's trying to send a message she doesn't need to send, you're saying that's bad writing, I think it's good writing for a bad person.  I can see the arguement there isn't the same amount of effort by missing something like the coffee cup, but I guess I like it more because I'm not demanding it be to this standard it was set to. I'm just saying I like it, and I'm fine with it.

That's an interesting theory about Cersei but that isn't who she has been this entire show. Regardless, I don't think that's the bad writing part. The dragon being there to begin with is the bad writing part. Everything else about that scene was good. 

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Maybe they can edit the dragon out of the scene.   😉

• Like 2

Just now, visionary said:

Maybe they can edit the dragon out of the scene.   😉

Unless they went to the George Lucas school of editing in which case they'd add six dragons and some other random creatures. 

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

“Game of Thrones” visual effects supervisor Joe Bauer previously explained the difficulties of bringing the direwolves to life ahead of Season 8, saying real wolves need to be filmed and scaled up. And unfortunately, those wolves “only behave in certain ways.”

“Keeping Ghost off to the side, I thought that played out better,” said Nutter, adding that it gave Jon a chance to be with Tormund and Gilly before having one last moment with his wolf.

“Then he just walks off by himself, he turns to Ghost and has this moment with Ghost that I thought was very, very powerful.”

The actors behind Samwell and Tormund, Bradley and Hivju, also reflected on the Ghost moment, agreeing that Jon sending his direwolf north was the right choice to make.

Bradley told HuffPost, “I think that Jon knows what he’s leaving behind. Jon Snow is a noble man, and he knows all about sacrifice ... He knows what he has to keep safe, and he knows he has a responsibility to Ghost and a responsibility to Sam, Gilly and Baby Sam because he knows where they’ll be safe.”

He added, “He was very aware of the sacrifice of leaving those figures behind, and they know — hopefully, Ghost knows what he means to Jon — and Jon knows what Ghost means to him.”

In another interview, Hivju told our own Leigh Blickley, “I think Jon is right that the south isn’t the place for a direwolf. In Episode 2 or 3 they killed one of them [Lady, Sansa’s direwolf] — it’s a wild animal, it’s like a wolf plus two! I think it’s best for Ghost to go north.”

Edited by visionary

A Song of Ice and Fire is not like the other great High Fantasy book series Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time.  LoTR is a classic adventure story with a heroic quest to defeat a dark, fascistic, war mongering, industrialist axis of evil nations.  WoT is a messianic tale of a great hero uniting and progressing a fragmented medieval world to protect them from an evil deity.  They are character driven stories about a hero(s) completing an epic quest with a classic narrative structure.

ASoIaF is a story about medieval dynastic struggle.  It is not character/quest driven.  It does not have a broadly binary good/evil conflict dichotomy.  It's an amoral world-driven meditation on medieval geopolitics.  Medieval dynastic power struggles were endless and a pseudo-historical allegorical tale about them will have no natural narrative resolution.

Game of Thrones is a garbage show and they've clearly stretched far beyond the meager storytelling talents of their hack showrunners in trying to adapt a story like ASoIaF into a character driven TV drama, especially after they blew past the source material that they've been ****izing since the beginning.

I'm glad the show is crashing and burning because it's unworthy trash.  I'm not happy that it's probably the reason GRRM stopped writing the series.  But I no longer care if he finishes the series.  It doesn't need an end.  He should move on to something else if he isn't inspired any more.  But claiming that this series being trash is his fault is shameful.  His books are the sole source of every interesting and original idea that the show managed to avoid ruining in their adaptation.

• Haha 2

I'm not done panning this show in my hour of glory.  The brushstrokes of awful writers were all over it from the very beginning.  But all of you show lovers were so concerned with your dragons and titties that you missed your God-given right to something better.  And the critics utterly failed the medium they criticize and the public they serve in how they lavished this doggerel with praise.  There's a difference between us.  The critics think the viewing public exists to provide them with position.  I think their position exists to provide the viewing public with taste.

And I go to make sure that they have it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not done panning this show in my hour of glory.  The brushstrokes of awful writers were all over it from the very beginning.  But all of you show lovers were so concerned with your dragons and titties that you missed your God-given right to something better.  And the critics utterly failed the medium they criticize and the public they serve in how they lavished this doggerel with praise.  There's a difference between us.  The critics think the viewing public exists to provide them with position.  I think their position exists to provide the viewing public with taste.

TV/movie/game adaptions of books are rarely done well but Season 1-4 are truly great TV content and a good adaptation of the novels. 

You would be hard pressed to find a better show in TV history that captured a medieval/fantasy setting, was gritty with a multitude of great characters and wasn’t a corny ass disaster.

The problem with the show is that it is now seemingly headed towards a corny ass disaster and it is all because the show was rushed to completion. We had like one entire season of Arya and the Hound traveling through the kingdom and it was some of the best storytelling in the series. They will now be doing this in the span of one episode. You can’t get away with speeding up timelines at this scale in a show. 

Even without source material, this show did OK for a while. It’s only until it came time to wrap things up are we realizing that you really needed more episodes to logically end all of the major plots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

TV/movie/game adaptions of books are rarely done well but Season 1-4 are truly great TV content and a good adaptation of the novels. 

I just can not agree that this was a good adaptation.  Everything about the production smacked of mediocrity.  The direction that left the cast delivering poor performances that were somehow both melodramatic and wooden, as well as bereft of real wit (unforgivable given the wit that characterizes the books).  The drab, half-assed production and design that leaves me confused about how the series cost so much time and money to make.  The awful, cliche-riddled writing which betrayed the hand of a pair of obtuse, second rate showrunners who completely missed the point of what was great in the novels and who were in way over their heads.

The show always sucked.  I will never understand how it was confused for authentic prestige television.  Regardless of it's success or failure in adapting ASoIaF, the lousy writing of Game of Thrones should have been obvious enough to sink it for critics and awards voters.  And there is a standard for excellence in adapting the great High Fantasy epics to screen--Peter Jackson's LotR.  You have to put in that work to meet that standard.  Your director/showrunner has to be that good and that inspired.  Your production and design teams have to be that talented and dedicated to making great art.  And your screenwriters need to be that skillful and loving and respectful and understanding of the source material.  The Game of Thrones show falls so far below this standard that it's doggerel.  Not to mention the standards set for the medium by the real prestige dramas of television.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But all of you show lovers were so concerned with your dragons and titties that you missed your God-given right to something better. 

I disagree. No titties were better than Missandei's...hell, that was maybe the most smoking body I have ever seen.  But admittedly, now I truly regret wishing she could give me head...

• Haha 2

Using lazy terms “garbage” and “trash” completely ruins the rest of your argument because it makes you look amateur in your criticism.

The direwolves are completely inconsequential to the telling of the story and I don’t care if they are or are not a part of it, so I won’t bother complaint about how they were or were not filmed.

I just don't think there is much to criticize in seasons 1-4 and then season 6. They have a couple missteps but the writing is on point, the characters are realistic and fleshed out, the production quality is damn near unheard of for television, there are some great actors as well that more than make up for a couple that are wooden etc, and the fantasy elements, world building and drama are all top notch as an adaptation or otherwise. 

This was Peter Jacksons LOTR brought to television with the political intrigue of House of Cards or West Wing added in. I can't defend it now but it was once deserved of all the praise heaped upon it. You can't really take a victory lap when you were completely  wrong about it for pretty much it's entire run until the final 10 episodes. 

No show with the scope of Game

of Thrones has accomplished what Game of Thrones has for as long as Game of Thrones has.

Also in some ways Game of Thrones has improved over time.  I think the acting is much better overall than in the early seasons (though there was a dip in season five due to the Sandsnakes).

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Steve: 

mel_gibson_braveheart.jpg

D+D:

Braveheart05.jpg?resize=740,416&type=ver

Critics: 

Braveheart02.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I just don't think there is much to criticize in seasons 1-4 and then season 6. They have a couple missteps but the writing is on point, the characters are realistic and fleshed out, the production quality is damn near unheard of for television, there are some great actors as well that more than make up for a couple that are wooden etc, and the fantasy elements, world building and drama are all top notch as an adaptation or otherwise. 

This was Peter Jacksons LOTR brought to television with the political intrigue of House of Cards or West Wing added in. I can't defend it now but it was once deserved of all the praise heaped upon it. You can't really take a victory lap when you were completely  wrong about it for pretty much it's entire run until the final 10 episodes. 

You couldn't be more wrong about the mediocrity of this series, start to finish.  And it's going to be remembered for what it is.  Dexter was really popular too even though it was a dumb mediocrity and descended into total farce by the end.  You can have the House of Cards comparison because that show is a poorly written mediocrity too.  But if we were having this argument in person, we would come to blows for you dragging LotR and West Wing through the mud like that.

In all seriousness, you thinking this show is great and an example of great writing has me questioning things.  The screenwriting was the most glaringly bad element of the production to me.  I trusted your taste before man, but now I don't know.  To say this dumb show is well written is to accept, consciously or unconsciously, a huge and worrisome degradation in our aesthetic standards.  The kind of degradation that, judging from the widespread popularity of twilight Tang Dynasty doggerel just before it's fall, presages the decline of great nations.  That's right.  I'm claiming that liking this show is unpatriotic.  And to be an unpatriotic American is to hate freedom and democracy and disavow the essential moral righteousness of man.  If you truly loved America Momma, you would pan this show.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Jon Snow is not Harry and the Night King is not Voldemort, and I hate everyone.

They both are Conveniently an Orphan who finds 

The Mentor who happens to be a 

Cool Old Guy who gives an important 

Gift but ultimately falls to  

Mentor Occupational Hazard

Not to mention their Cool Uncle who suffers the same fate by making a

Heroic Sacrifice

Their Sidekick is usually by their side who frequently acts a

Foil, along with their 

Loyal Animal Companion

Edit:  Cool Uncle also is part of The Order who they both eventually join

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I need you all to feel bad for ever liking this thing.

Hahha!  Love your response!

I still like it.  It’s wonderful television.  I wasn’t ever a die hard fan, but it’s the only appointment television left for me these days that isn’t sports.