Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

I can't be the only one who just laughed at the utter sadness of this scene:

e5r6lyftckw21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Remember in Season 3/4 when Dany was like the Queen of Essos, had three dragons, an army the size of Westeros. Cersei should have put everyone out of their misery.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

I can't be the only one who just laughed at the utter sadness of this scene:

Remember in Season 3/4 when Dany was like the Queen of Essos, had three dragons, an army the size of Westeros. Cersei should have put everyone out of their misery.

You weren't. I thought it was awful immediately. I would have been happier if Cersei killed everyone just for them being so stupid and showing up like that. 

• Like 1

I go back to my fundamental point about this show. The superstructure of it is flawed.

Does anyone think Dany or Jon would be good at governing - either alone, separately or together? Does anyone think this kingdom is remotely governable?

There is nothing uniting any of these houses - not even self interest. There is no shared religion. There is no Parliament or Senate to even remotely influence the monarchy. There is no beauracracy. There are seemingly no shared economic interests as there is no economy aside from making weapons. This is really just 150 individual revenge stories all tied together. So trying to wrap that up in one big bow is impossible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Book Euron is a supremely evil and really interesting character.

I don't know what the show writers were thinking when they made this iteration of Euron. They had source material to work with and just delivered the most comically bad, dumb jock of a pirate.

I feel like the first time the show writers took liberty in making something happen with no justification was Ramsey and his 20 good men who stealth destroyed Stannis and his entire army in one night.

Euron is basically "Ramsay and his 20 good men" on steroids.

They gave us Victarion's version of Euron. Damphair shows us the real Euron you're referring to.

23 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I go back to my fundamental point about this show. The superstructure of it is flawed.

Does anyone think Dany or Jon would be good at governing - either alone, separately or together? Does anyone think this kingdom is remotely governable?

There is nothing uniting any of these houses - not even self interest. There is no shared religion. There is no Parliament or Senate to even remotely influence the monarchy. There is no beauracracy. There are seemingly no shared economic interests as there is no economy aside from making weapons. This is really just 150 individual revenge stories all tied together. So trying to wrap that up in one big bow is impossible.

Has there ever been a discussion on what fuels the economy of Westeros? Farming? Wine making? Perpetual war seems to not have any effect on the population density either. 

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I thought that reveal was going to be the impetus for Cersei firing the arrows at Tyrion. 

She couldn't because Qyburn was still out there and he's her only "brain". Although, the point still stands. Sacrifice Qyburn to end this now.

The only defense I can see of Jon leaving Ghost, is that Ghost would sometimes wander off and leave Jon, especially north of the wall. 

Remember Ghost isn't a dog.   You don't chain him up or put him in cages.  He doesn't necessarily follow Jon wherever he goes.  He's a wolf.   

• Like 1

Anyone disappointed with Bronn’s arc?

He started out as one of my favorite side characters, and I envisioned him having a similar trajectory as Han Solo - in it for the money before he makes new friends and finds a new purpose.

He had great chemistry with the Lannister bros, and maybe even formed a friendship, but that scene last night... really threw me off.

I envisioned him joining the fight against the AotD, after seeing the realm is more important than family squabble, but he didn’t end up making it until last nights episode.

I understand he is frustrated with getting shafted on promises, but if what he’s owed is all that’s important, that’s just.... lame.

Edited by Rogue Jedi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

He started out as one of my favorite side characters, and I envisioned him having a similar trajectory as Han Solo - in it for the money before he makes new friends and finds a new purpose.

He had great chemistry with the Lannister bros, and maybe even formed a friendship, but that scene last night... really threw me off.

I envisioned him joining the fight against the AotD, after seeing the realm is more important than family squabble, but he didn’t end up making it until last nights episode.

I understand he is frustrated with getting shafted on promises, but if what he’s owed is all that’s important, that’s just.... lame.

That's not who Bronn is.  He's there to kick ass and make funny quips.  He is a mercenary at heart though and while he may feel affection for Lannister brothers, he cares about himself most of all.

• Like 2

Yara regroups and builds a large navy (because apparently people spawn as adults in Westeros) which takes Euron by surprise when he tries to shoot down Dany again.

Dany, thankful that Yara saved her remaining army from certain destruction, decides to go lesbian and ditch Jon Snow. They sail off into the sunset while an epic boat sex scene occurs and leave Jon to figure out how to defeat Cersei.

Jon loses the battle because he can't plan for ****. Arya steals Ser Pounce's face and swipes at Cersei; the scratch becomes infected and Cersei dies. Gendry becomes the king of the 7 kingdoms and the new Ser Friendzone as Arya rejects his marriage proposals every month.

The end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Here's the thing about the parlay scene.

It's fine as a parlay, and under the pirate's code, which as we all know cross applies to all properties, one wouldn't shoot on parties negotiating with each other.

But somehow killing Missy is fine in this circumstance as well?

I guess all's fair insofar as dealing with captives, and so long as Dany didn't immediately break the parlay Cersei would allow them to leave?

30 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

I think we have seen the last of Bronn. Feel like they had that scene last night so we aren't sitting around waiting for him to show up and collect. 

https://ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-recap-season-8-episode-4/

Star Kit Harington previously teased that the episode, titled “The Last of the Starks,” is “Shakespearian.” Accurate. The 80-minute episode was a medieval fantasy tragedy. As Tyrion neatly put it: “We may have defeated them but we still have us to contend with.” After successfully uniting under the single purpose of defeating the Night King, the characters began quickly to fall victim to their most destructive impulses.

Daenerys was far too eager to push her forces into battle. Jon was — I would argue — far too honest and too soon with his family about his parentage. Jaime fell into bed with Brienne, then couldn’t resist returning to his sister. And Cersei had a chance to avoid war and her own possible destruction, and instead let her resentment, pride, and ambition consume her. This was an episode of scorpions being carried across rivers by frogs and then getting stung anyway because, of course, that’s the nature of scorpions (that’s perhaps a confusing metaphor choice because it was also about those giant crossbows which are likewise called scorpions).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Has there ever been a discussion on what fuels the economy of Westeros? Farming? Wine making? Perpetual war seems to not have any effect on the population density either. 

It is sort of mentioned in the books, though in no great detail.  The Lannisters having tons of gold (presumably from mining) is mentioned several times and HIghgarden is considered a very wealthy kingdom due to having the best lands for farming, wine-making, etc.  I don't know if it is ever touched on for any of the others, but I can hazard a guess.

Winterfell: Ice exports

Dorne: Sand

Riverrun: Fish?

Eyrie: Tittie Milk

Dragonstone: I guess dragonglass?

Storms End:  No clue...

Really only Casterly Rock and Highgarden are ever mentioned in this context.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

That would be a reasonable ending for the show - destroy the  IT, go back to 7 kingdoms.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forehead said:

It is sort of mentioned in the books, though in no great detail.  The Lannisters having tons of gold (presumably from mining) is mentioned several times and HIghgarden is considered a very wealthy kingdom due to having the best lands for farming, wine-making, etc.  I don't know if it is ever touched on for any of the others, but I can hazard a guess.

Winterfell: Ice exports

Dorne: Sand

Riverrun: Fish?

Eyrie: Tittie Milk

Dragonstone: I guess dragonglass?

Storms End:  No clue...

Really only Casterly Rock and Highgarden are ever mentioned in this context.

They always mention Dornish wine.  Being a dry climate, I'd imagine they have other exports which do well in warm dry climates such as olives, dates, figs, citrus. etc.

The North most likely has a good lumber export industry.  Also probably wool. 

The Eyrie probably has some minerals as it is very mountainous.

Riverrun I'd say your typical crops such as wheat.  Also good land for grazing cattle.  Although not quite as productive as Highgarden.

Dragonstone was likely just a trade / fishing port at best.  I think its importance is due solely to its location the fact of its connection to the Iron Throne.   Kind of like Gibraltar. 

57 minutes ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

I think we have seen the last of Bronn. Feel like they had that scene last night so we aren't sitting around waiting for him to show up and collect. 

Bronn ends up with nothing because Cersei, Tyrion, and Jamie are dead.