Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

The organization is average, not incompetent. They fall in line with 25-28 other teams in the NFL and from a results perspective are about average over last three seasons. The owner has shown over the last 3 regimes (Gibbs, Shanny and Gruden) a willingness to be patient and provide support. 

This poor Kirk narrative to bolster ones viewpoint is tiresome, in my humble opinion. 

23 hours ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Where's ya goin?

Who me?   I was just saying good bye to Kirk..........writings on the wall people. Kirk has had a whiff of the Snyder curse and he wants no part of it. Keep catching articles on the Denver side..........Elway wants him bad.

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This poor Kirk narrative to bolster ones viewpoint is tiresome, in my humble opinion. 

You make that abundantly clear very often.

I don't think anyone feels sorry for the man or the money he's made.  We can certainly understand why he turned the tables on the FO though.  There is no reason to rehash it all here, as I'm sure you're aware of all of it.

One thing I find interesting from those that hold similar opinions to yours, is how you guys nitpick everything Kirk does or doesn't do, but you're criticism of the front office, if any, is minimal.  

38 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Who me?   I was just saying good bye to Kirk..........writings on the wall people. Kirk has had a whiff of the Snyder curse and he wants no part of it. Keep catching articles on the Denver side..........Elway wants him bad.

So ur for certain that Kirk wants nothing to do with this dumpster fire?..Elway is going for eli...

I believe he stays.  I'm no expert on contracts but I believe enough guaranteed money or enough of a bonus or whatever will seal it.  I think Kirk, going forward, would be most comfortable going forward with the team he knows.  

I think the team knows this and agrees.  They have to know losing Kirk in some sort of hopeless way just cannot happen.  In other words, the off-season negotiations are actually for real this year.

Whatever happens, I hope it's not losing Kirk over a few million dollars (in NFL money).  That would be sad.  

I’m getting the suspicion that we tag him and manage to trade him. I can’t see much reason a team like Cleveland, Denver, Buffalo, or Jacksonville wouldn’t sacrifice a first round pick or more for his services in addition to his new salary.

I don’t think we want to pay him market value. I’d be surprised if we got an LTD done at this point.

12 hours ago, purbeast said:

Making a decision based off of 2 games out of 48 games.

Sounds on par for Redskins logic.

I also love the selective memory of people who bring up those specific games, as if the other 52 people on the roster were lighting it up all game.

I'm not saying it was only those 2 games where they made all of their decisions. It's cumulative. In 2015 they were (IMO understandably) worried about paying him a big contract after having one very good half season, where before those last 8 games he had been, since the beginning, uneven and error prone and didn't show up well in the playoff game they lost. So they franchise him and in 2016 it is a "prove it" year. He has a great statistical year (except for a couple of important categories, but I've already discussed that) but then at the end of the year, with the playoffs on the line, in not one but two bright lights high stakes "win and in" games, he lays eggs and looks terrible. Yes, other players played like crap too but if you can watch either of those games and come away with anything better than "meh" with his personal performance I don't know what to tell you. 

I can understand why that could leave at least a bit of a lingering doubt in someones mind. "Ok, so he puts up some really nice numbers but seems to fold multiple times when we had a chance to get into the playoffs and the pressure was on. Is that something that is fixable or is that something that we'll just have to take into account as a continuing possibility if/when we make an offer?" 

4 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I’m getting the suspicion that we tag him and manage to trade him.

And if one is trying to trade him, the franchise tag is the option to use. 

Clearly the majority of people want Operation Last Chance to succeed. They have between Mon, Jan. 1 until 4pm on March 6 for an extension. 

However,

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'm not saying it was only those 2 games where they made all of their decisions. It's cumulative. In 2015 they were (IMO understandably) worried about paying him a big contract after having one very good half season, where before those last 8 games he had been, since the beginning, uneven and error prone and didn't show up well in the playoff game they lost. So they franchise him and in 2016 it is a "prove it" year. He has a great statistical year (except for a couple of important categories, but I've already discussed that) but then at the end of the year, with the playoffs on the line, in not one but two bright lights high stakes "win and in" games, he lays eggs and looks terrible. Yes, other players played like crap too but if you can watch either of those games and come away with anything better than "meh" with his personal performance I don't know what to tell you. 

I can understand why that could leave at least a bit of a lingering doubt in someones mind. "Ok, so he puts up some really nice numbers but seems to fold multiple times when we had a chance to get into the playoffs and the pressure was on. Is that something that is fixable or is that something that we'll just have to take into account as a continuing possibility if/when we make an offer?" 

Okay cool so let's wait for the unicorn quarterback that is 100% mistake free and will go 19-0 and lead us to the Superbowl throwing for 5tds and 0ints every game his rookie season.  I'm sure the Redskins will be able to have this unicorn quarterback fall right into their lap, especially under the Snyder owned team, since his track record at finding gem quarterbacks is impeccable.

That sounds like a great plan and sounds like the Redskins way.

fnyKzMR.png

Yawn. Done being overdramatic and hitting straw men yet? Nobody ever said he had to be perfect or mistake free. All I'm saying is that I can see how they could take the fact that he played great almost all season EXCEPT in two consecutive must win pressure cooker playoff implication "win and in" games into account when thinking about contract negotiations, because that was already one of the questions about him...how he performed under pressure. If you wouldn't at least take the potential for that being an issue down the road into account before handing a guy potentially the biggest contract in the NFL and hanging a nice chunk of your salary cap on him then that's fine. I'm guessing most GMs and coaches would at least have it in the back of their mind.

I would hope the big boys making the decisions would be above that and take into account his entire body of work instead of a game or two like fan knee jerk reactions, but I doubt that would be the case with this FO.

Had KC played 100% identical to the way he did last year, all interceptions, dumb decisions, good decisions, etc, including the 2 poor showings by him at the end of the season, but Hopkins made a chip shot field goal against the Bengals, they would have been in the playoffs. 

In that case do you think they would have signed him to a long term deal because "he" lead them to the playoffs?  They probably would have. That is how petty and dumb this front office is, they are like dumb fans making emotional knee jerk decisions and reactions.

13 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Lol. 

Agree with the sentiment but avoid posts like these since they’re a clear violation of rule 3: 

3. Spam is strictly prohibited.
The following are some examples of what ES considers spam:

• Very short posts that do not add value to the topic.
    Example: posts with only the words, "I dunno," or "lol cool," or "in before close" or a quote of a post with only "smileys" added, or simply the word "this" and an upward arrow or "x2" added. If that is the only contribution you have to make to the discussion, this is not the place for you.

Thanks. :) 

•  

I don’t think our fan base knows what good quarterback play is and I don’t blame them before cousins you have to go back 20+ years to say this team had good qb play. Watch the tape from where he started to where he is now hes improved tenfold and is only getting better, every qb throws bad passes sometimes it’s slmething you simply can’t avoid with the speed the game is played at....Currently cousins is our most consistent starter on the team and has basically carried one of the worst pass catching groups in the league to almost over 4K yards of course he isn’t brees Rodgers or Brady yet but can the team win with him if they get their act together and give him players that wouldn’t be more than practice squad guys on other teams??? You damn right he can and if he leaves for a team with more talent around him he will prosper and the skins will suck for a period of time till they turn everything over and trade up for another rgiii or Donovan McCann and we all will be thinking what could have been with Cousins, 28 million is not too much for cousins a team can pay a good qb that much and still have competent pieces around him to build a playoff/championship roster. Keep the cousins gruden continuity going and we won’t be playing worthless football next year at this time.

11 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I will admit I'm not as do or die about Kirk as you and Eisenhower are, I'll lose zero sleep if he stays or go

LOL.  I am not do or die with any player.  But what makes the NFL unique is the QB has an overwhelming impact on a game.  It's just not any position.  It's THE position that makes or breaks teams. 

If we were like the Chargers when they let Brees go and had a Phillip Rivers in waiting -- I'd be relaxed about Kirk leaving.  But, that's not the situation here.  We've just seen two teams come to Fedex with top ten defenses and more loaded as to offensive weapons than the Redskins -- but they got no QBs -- so they stink.  And we got some people on this thread talking up about how they would be excited to build up a defense and add weapons and it would be a lot easier to do it without Kirk's salary.    But we see that movie script played out around the league.  I don't want to be the Jets, Cards, Denver. etc.  So that's what gets me fired up.  I've been for decades fired up about QB competence -- whomever that guy is.  I can recall like yesterday the SI article about Norv coming to town and how Shuler is the next Aikman.  I lived through every painful episode on the QB position and i can easily compare it to now.  That's what drives me. 

As for veryoldschool.  I appreciate his pro Kirk posts and I agree with almost all of them.  But his fandom of Kirk exceeds mine.  I got no intention of chasing Kirk wherever he goes if he leaves. :)  I get his point though his thing isn't per se exclusively about Kirk but the continual mismanagement of the team which manifests again in the Kirk negotiation, and he's had enough of it.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

He has a great statistical year (except for a couple of important categories, but I've already discussed that) but then at the end of the year, with the playoffs on the line, in not one but two bright lights high stakes "win and in" games, he lays eggs and looks terrible.

So, rather than look at the entire body of work or note the trend of the arrow pointing up with improvements (resiliency, dealing with adversity, game winning drives, and extending plays) you would rather make your decision based on two games?  As if Kirk would never win a "must-win" game if he was given a running game and better defense?  Your decision making algorithm is too similar to that of Bruce Allen's and that is what is wrong with the Redskins right now.  They are being steered in major matters by an amateur who is so hell bent on being right that he is willing to sacrifice the team's future in order to prove a point. 

What's most alarming about the reaction to Cousins not playing well against the Giants last year and missing the playoffs, is that this team was going to lose the very next weekend anyways.  Some folks act like this team was primed for the Super Bowl and it's all Cousins fault that they didn't make it.  Teams that cannot run the ball or play defense do not win in the playoffs.  While I expect fans to be irrational, make-believe the team can win it all every year, etc., I expect more out of the front office of a professional football organization.  I might be able to understand it more if this team was primed to do big things and the QB threw up all over himself.  But that was far from the case, if anything - without Cousins, the team wouldn't have been playing a win-and-in anyways.

Cousins is 65 yards shy of 4,000.  If gets 65 yards or more Kirk will become the 11th quarterback in history to throw for at least 4,000 yards in 3 consecutive seasons.  I don't know how many guys did this in their first 3 years starting but only 10 other men have done it in the history of the league, nice!

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

might be able to understand it more if this team was primed to do big things and the QB threw up all over himself

Donovan McNabb agrees with you.

My honest hope is that a deal gets done and it gets done quickly.  For my own sanity, I don't want it to drag out.

2 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

My honest hope is that a deal gets done and it gets done quickly.  For my own sanity, I don't want it to drag out.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can count on the Skins to be decisive and considerate to the fans about getting a deal done or announcing they are cutting Kirk lose.

15 hours ago, wit33 said:

Poor kirk?

The man is not 30 yet has multiple billion dollar companies lining up to bid on his services after he leaves his current billion dollar company, whom is paying him max dollars allowed for his career for 2 (going on 3?) years.

Poor kirk nothing. He's in the best position anyone without hundreds of millions of $ already could be in.

We're the people getting screwed by our incompetent owner.

Poor us.

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

Poor kirk?

The man is not 30 yet has multiple billion dollar companies lining up to bid on his services after he leaves his current billion dollar company, whom is paying him max dollars allowed for his career for 2 (going on 3?) years.

Poor kirk nothing. He's in the best position anyone without hundreds of millions of $ already could be in.

We're the people getting screwed by our incompetent owner.

Poor us.

I agree with your post entirely, but from what I've gathered over time is that he's talking about how the team has treated him, not so much the $.  While many of us point to numerous other QBs and teams for how they treat their QB situation vs. how Kirk has been treated here, it can be painted by some as "poor Kirk" when it's really not that at all. 

From Kirk's first win as pro to keep the playoff hopes alive in 2012 being unacknowledged and pushed aside by the FO so they could find out how Robert was feeling, to how he's seen what this organization does to other players, coaches, employees, to the FO being unwilling to commit yet apply franchise tags, to not making any effort to sign the guy immediately after last season and placing the tag, to that embarrassing press release by Bruce Allen.  That's just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head and there is surely more.  While the organization has made Kirk rich through their own ineptitude, they surely haven't treated him like most teams treat their franchise players.

Archived