Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

9 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Above all, Kirk Cousins is a freakin Iron man!  Wentz went out in his second year.  Carr has had back to back years with injuries.  Will Luck every play again? 

Not to change the subject, but anyone notice how good Foles looks with that team?  Quite frankly he is running that offense better that Wentz.  I think Wentz is good, but that team would make any competent QB an MVP candidate. Maybe Wentz isn't that special after all. 

14 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Not to change the subject, but anyone notice how good Foles looks with that team?  Quite frankly he is running that offense better that Wentz.  I think Wentz is good, but that team would make any competent QB an MVP candidate. Maybe Wentz isn't that special after all. 

Did you watch him vs the Raiders last night?  Only 19 for 138; 1 TD, 1 Int, QBR 61.6.  Raiders are not a scary team this year.  Eagles have a legit defense and running game though.  So Foles won't have to win games.  Just manage them. 

20 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Exactly, just transition tag the guy and match. I just dont see the market for him for HUGE money. Denver, Jacksonville, and Arizona are all decent situations, but dont see the big money. Cleveland NYG and NYJ are possibilities, but I think the Browns go for Rosen and then whoever takes Allen/Mayfield/Jackson isnt signing Kirk either.

Again, I just dont see it.

I can understand why...

Blinddrunk.jpg

On 12/25/2017 at 5:17 AM, bobandweave said:

I don’t think Kirk shines when the lights are bright and that’s my biggest issue with him. He is a career 0-8 playing on weekdays. When he’s in must win games check Giants 16 and Cowboys Chargers 17. I know QBs take too much heat for losses but couple that in his record of not throwing TDs and this is not someone any team should be throwing record setting contracts at. If the Jets want to do that then so be it. The lights in NY shine bright could be a really bad move for him to go there

Continuing the discussion about the contract, what are NFL teams getting out of paying a QB top money? Is it worth it?

Stafford the highest priced QB in the league missed the playoffs again

Carr the second highest paid QB missed the playoffs again 

Luck the third highest paid QB missed the playoffs again

In fact only Drew Brees made the playoffs from the top five earners this year (Cousins was the 5th highest earner this year) and make what you will about how the Saints got there this year and how much of that is on Brees vs the running game

Truth is out of the top ten earners this year only Brees and Ben Roethlisberger have punched their teams playoff tickets with only one game left in the season this year.

So are the teams that are spending huge dollars to keep that expensive QB getting success from the move? 

The prevailing idea is that when your QBs about to leave you pay him whatever it takes to keep him (why? Best option, continuity, team success are the most common answers given) but this year it is not equaling success.

Out of the top half of QB earners (16 top paid guys total) you will find only 5 guys making the dance this season.

And it happens that there are more playoff Qbs (15th highest paid Brady, 14th highest paid Matt Ryan, and 13th highest paid Newton) in the bottom third then the top two thirds highest paid QBs

Make what you will out of the question whether to be paying record breaking money to QBs but these points to me says that it’s not what you want to be doing building your NFL franchise. An NFL team wants to be middle to late in the QB cash line. 

Truthfully I think that we could get to 8-8 next year with one of the Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, or Tyrod starting QB varity if our defense steps up like they did the past two weeks. Makes me wonder why we would pay someone more money to get the same results or slightly better or slightly worse when it could he significantly cheaper.

This is business. If he and the agents think some teams willing to pay him record setting money then he will never sign a long term deal for cheaper just to play here. That’s not going to happen. If we want him to stay he demands to be paid what he’s worth. We have to accept that what he’s worth might not be best for this club.

To me the price is just too steep to keep him and from reading the Washington post articles it seems like everyone realizes this and is already saying their goodbyes. It would be amazing if Kirk felt some sort of loyalty to this club and would take less money and wanted to stay here but when the headlines read “played his last home game” it’s time to discuss moving on and other plans 

This is a great post but you are not looking at the contract properly. The overpay in years 1 and 2 are to get him in the door while we have too much money and no one to spend it on. Once years 3, 4, 5, & 6 roll around his contract would be no more than $24M (12.0% of the $200M cap in 2020) To put that in perspective Brady, Rodgers, Eli, Big Ben, Wilson, Newton, and Rivers are all above 12.0% of their teams cap currently and all of them prior to the season were considered Super Bowl contending rosters (except maybe Rivers). 

The deal I proposed 6 years $168M with the first 2 years fully guaranteed would break down like this:

Year 1 - 22.5% (with $55M still to spend + top 10 pick and two 2nds)

Year 2 - 18.4% (Only FAs worth retaining might be Enunwa who hasn't played a snap this year or Kearse who will be 30)

Year 3 - 12.0% 

Year 4 - 10.9%

Year 5 - 10.4%

Year 6 - 10.0%

With cap percentages like that I think it's worth the gamble.

19 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Seems like this thread needs to be merged, but I'll keep my short comment on the Jets.  The Jets are a worse destination than we are, their run game is no different, their receiving corps is no different, and their defense is worse.  Throw in a savage NY press and having to face the Pats twice a year, that would be a recipe for disaster for Cousins. Some team (Other than us) is going to roll up the bank truck.

I think you're looking at in wrong, I'm not sure I'd consider us a worse destination long term (beyond 2017). We can pay him $40M in year 1 and still have $55M to spend on FAs not to mention we'll have a top 10 pick and 2 second rounders. If the Redskins were to sign Cousins I think your team would cripple due to the contract.

Veryoldschool, I'll pay for your ticket. :)  This might be the last shot to reel him in. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/26/why-kirk-cousins-wants-to-talk-with-redskins-fans-after-the-season-ends/?utm_term=.1c801714fc87

Turns out the ending will also be unusual. Five days after Cousins concludes his third season and potentially final season as Washington’s starter with a weird game at the Meadowlands, he will make an appearance at a live “season in review” event with Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier, meant both to raise money for the D.C. Dream Center and to let Cousins talk directly with his constituents.

The idea for this event came from Cousins’s camp, inspired — the quarterback said — from a similar event held before this season started. But with so much on the line over the next few months, every word he utters will be analyzed.

“I just found it was really a blessing for me to able to talk to the fans face to face, to shake their hands, to thank them, to hear their questions,” the quarterback said on 106.7 The Fan Tuesday morning. “I found that to be a very positive experience. So many times — whether it’s a news conference or a radio show like this — it certainly is a way to communicate with the fans, but there’s always a middle man, and you’re really not able to talk to them face to face.

So I find it to be a powerful experience both ways,” Cousins said, “and I think there’s honesty and some transparency there that can be a really good thing for the fans and a really good thing for us as players. So I was looking for a way to be able to do that, and I thought before we leave town for the offseason, it might make some sense to try to put something together. If there’s a way to give back and impact the city in a positive way and make a difference as well, why not?”

Host Grant Paulsen said that Cousins would do a question-and-answer session with fans both about his past and his future, and that “every penny” raised from ticket sales will go to the Dream Center, which describes itself as “a center for community where the needs of people in our city, especially youth, are met.” Tickets for the event, which will be held at Jammin Java in Vienna, start at $40 for general admission standing, with higher-priced tickets going for $50, $60 or $125 for a meet and greet. And while Cousins will speak after Sunday’s game, his words at this charity event seem almost certain to make additional news.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Veryoldschool, I'll pay for your ticket. :)  This might be the last shot to reel him in. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/26/why-kirk-cousins-wants-to-talk-with-redskins-fans-after-the-season-ends/?utm_term=.1c801714fc87

Turns out the ending will also be unusual. Five days after Cousins concludes his third season and potentially final season as Washington’s starter with a weird game at the Meadowlands, he will make an appearance at a live “season in review” event with Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier, meant both to raise money for the D.C. Dream Center and to let Cousins talk directly with his constituents.

The idea for this event came from Cousins’s camp, inspired — the quarterback said — from a similar event held before this season started. But with so much on the line over the next few months, every word he utters will be analyzed.

“I just found it was really a blessing for me to able to talk to the fans face to face, to shake their hands, to thank them, to hear their questions,” the quarterback said on 106.7 The Fan Tuesday morning. “I found that to be a very positive experience. So many times — whether it’s a news conference or a radio show like this — it certainly is a way to communicate with the fans, but there’s always a middle man, and you’re really not able to talk to them face to face.

So I find it to be a powerful experience both ways,” Cousins said, “and I think there’s honesty and some transparency there that can be a really good thing for the fans and a really good thing for us as players. So I was looking for a way to be able to do that, and I thought before we leave town for the offseason, it might make some sense to try to put something together. If there’s a way to give back and impact the city in a positive way and make a difference as well, why not?”

Host Grant Paulsen said that Cousins would do a question-and-answer session with fans both about his past and his future, and that “every penny” raised from ticket sales will go to the Dream Center, which describes itself as “a center for community where the needs of people in our city, especially youth, are met.” Tickets for the event, which will be held at Jammin Java in Vienna, start at $40 for general admission standing, with higher-priced tickets going for $50, $60 or $125 for a meet and greet. And while Cousins will speak after Sunday’s game, his words at this charity event seem almost certain to make additional news.

I’m going!  My sons bought me a ticket for Christmas!

^^ Kirk is a class guy.  People can banter back and forth on here all they want, but everyone should be able to agree that he's a class act.  Not outspoken, not a troublemaker, not a flashy guy.  Seems to care about the community and others.

It's nice of him to do that but money talks, too.  He's gone after this year and it's not his fault.  Another 4000 yards, a chance for 30 touchdowns, gone like a fart in the wind because Allen is inept.

38 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I’m going!  My sons bought me a ticket for Christmas!

The event is intriguing to me but not to the degree of flying up to participate from Florida.  I did do a Q & A with Kirk in 2016 after his kids camp which my kids participated in.  In that Q & A, he came off honest and direct.   So I bet it will be interesting.  It's not hard to get a sense that even though he might not dig the men in charge of the Redskins -- he does dig the fans here and their support so hopefully the event has a good showing.  His kids camp was packed. 

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Five days after Cousins concludes his third season and potentially final season as Washington’s starter with a weird game at the Meadowlands, he will make an appearance at a live “season in review” event with Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier, meant both to raise money for the D.C. Dream Center and to let Cousins talk directly with his constituents.

You know how after the President gives the State of the Union address to Congress, someone from the other political party gives a rebuttal speech? 

Well, Bruce Allen should do the same here.

1 minute ago, Tsailand said:

You know how after the President gives the State of the Union address to Congress, someone from the other political party gives a rebuttal speech? 

Well, Bruce Allen should do the same here.

Along the same line of logic, it would be amusing if there would be people outside the event with placards that say something like Sign Kirk, Dump Bruce

47 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

^^ Kirk is a class guy.  People can banter back and forth on here all they want, but everyone should be able to agree that he's a class act.  Not outspoken, not a troublemaker, not a flashy guy.  Seems to care about the community and others.

It's nice of him to do that but money talks, too.  He's gone after this year and it's not his fault.  Another 4000 yards, a chance for 30 touchdowns, gone like a fart in the wind because Allen is inept.

Durable too. It's not like he hasn't been lit up. He's stood in there and taken hits. Keeps getting up. Doesn't complain about it. 

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

One thing I wonder is how much the final games of the 2016 season factored into their decisions regarding Kirk, whether to offer him a deal, and how much. We had 2 chances at the end of the season to get into the playoffs and in both of those (including vs a Giants team that was resting a bunch of their starters) Kirk came out and laid an egg. Those were both win and in games and he played like crap in both of them. Maybe they were already set on what they wanted to offer him but I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if that ending left a bad taste in their mouths. 

Kirk had a 43 QBR & 16 QBR in those 2 games, what GM would get excited about paying $22M + a year to a guy who just melted down with the rest of his offense, the D was never good last year but they only gave up on 22 ppg avg in those last 3 games.

1 minute ago, jschuck12001 said:

Kirk had a 43 QBR & 16 QBR in those 2 games, what GM would get excited about paying $22M + a year to a guy who just melted down with the rest of his offense.

Making a decision based off of 2 games out of 48 games.

Sounds on par for Redskins logic.

I also love the selective memory of people who bring up those specific games, as if the other 52 people on the roster were lighting it up all game.

19 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Kirk had a 43 QBR & 16 QBR in those 2 games, what GM would get excited about paying $22M + a year to a guy who just melted down with the rest of his offense, the D was never good last year but they only gave up on 22 ppg in those last 3 games.

Just about any GM would get excited who needs a QB if you pay attention to all the buzz cooking right now.  Denver players are practically begging him to go there without crossing the line for tampering.

We whine about the Giants-Panthers games like it was the worse thing that could ever happen to a franchise.  But its just run of the mill NFL.  It happens to everyone.    But it was just two games against two stout defenses that shut down our run game and beat Kirk by making the offense grossly one dimensional.  It would be like who would touch Dak Prescot because he failed in a do or die game against Seattle. 

Shame on Aaron Rodgers for coming back in a hyped game with it all on the line against Carolina and stinking it up.  Ironically Matt Ryan had two horrible games in losses in 2009 against the same Panthers and Giants that ultimately cost them a playoff birth.   

Just about all these guys have games like that with the playoffs on the line. It just feels very painful to some of our fans to remember our dose of that medicine, i get it.  I am sure it was painful for Eagles fans to watch Kirk light them up and knock them out of the playoffs in 2015.  But GMs are paid to not overreact and become overemotional but look at things clinically.  So I doubt they are dwelling on any specific game but looking at the full body of work.

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So I doubt they are dwelling on any specific game but looking at the full body of work.

I agree, but the end of last season is part of that body, and the poster asked if he thought it moved the needle with the FO and I said yes.

6 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

What you should never stop stressing is how hard it is to put up those numbers with a running game that opposing defensive coordinators don't have to game plan against. The coverages he sees week in and week out are designed to stop the pass, and he still moves the offense up and down the field consistently. This is why most "football people", as opposed to "sports journalists" and fans, get how good he is. 

Not only that,look at the defenses he put up those numbers against this year.He moved the ball against Minnesota when nobody was moving the ball against them,he tore up Kansas City back when they were on fire, had field days against New Orleans,and Seattle.The last three all on the road in tough environments. The team needs to sign him to a ltd,there are no alternatives. Can this front office and scouting staff be trusted to find a worthy successor? If they do not re-sign him all the cap money in the world won’t help fix the issue.

6 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I agree, but the end of last season is part of that body, and the poster asked if he thought it moved the needle with the FO and I said yes.

Thanks.  I get it but I doubt it would be a big deal.  What did Robert Kelley run for in the game against Carolina like 11 yards.  Stuff happens.    As Jay talked about today, Kirk just keeps getting better, implying he's not peaked.  

The only way Cousins is here in 2018 is via the franchise tag. He doesn't want to be here. He'll sign somewhere else if he's an unrestricted FA, if he's transition tagged other teams can make it difficult for us to match. 

The front office needs to franchise him. Then -- either repair the relationship and hope that he'll sign a long term deal, or trade him. I think the relationship could be repaired but won't be, since the only people who can fix it are the ones who ruined it. So trade him for at least a 2nd rounder, we'd get a 3rd if he walks in FA. Since this situation was handled as poorly as possible at nearly every decision point, I assume we will use the transition tag and end up with zero compensation.

Cousins's football career has revolved around disrespect. He was going to end up at Toledo or Western Michigan before Dantonio recruited him to MSU after missing on his other QB targets. Drafted as a backup to RG3 and saw how Griffin was treated like royalty and was coddled, how he was given chance after chance even when it was obvious the guy couldn't play anymore. RG3 was ACTUALLY SUPPORTED by the team, even by the standards of NFL QBs who are (if they are any good) among the most valuable assets of billion dollar organizations. 

Cousins only gets a chance to start because McCloughan and Gruden miraculously convinced Snyder and Allen that it had to happen. Scot is no longer here and Gruden does not have any real power. 

Cousins has played well and is regarded around the league as a franchise QB. He should have been locked up prior to the first franchise tag. Instead of apologizing to him and making a serious LTD offer the next year, our moron GM/President publicly releases the underwhelming offer he made in an attempt to make Cousins look bad. Instead, Bruce looks like a fool and basically scores an own goal. Then he calls him Kurt in a press conference, which is just going to be a phenomenal part of the inevitable 30 for 30 about this. 

It's not an accident that this whole "young franchise QB heading to free agency" thing has never really happened. Some people are underestimating what Cousins would get on the open market if it were all about money, which it's not. He didn't counteroffer last year because he doesn't want to be here. It seems like half the league is salivating at the chance to add a franchise QB for nothing but cap space. Meanwhile, this organization acts like Cousins still needs to earn a big deal. 

Cousins wanted an office at Redskins Park for film and game planning. Here's what he got: 

Image result for cousins qb nook

I am trying to imagine what RG3 would have, given the same request. Would Dan just tell him to take Bruce's office? Maybe they would still be adding luxuries to whatever building would have been constructed for Griffin. I bet the cabinets in Kirk's 'office' were filled with expired World Cup beers and peanuts from 1950. 

Cousins has said all the right things, but like a sane person he wants nothing to do with this FO. Why would he? The FO has completely botched this situation and they don't even really seem to realize it. None of us have any confidence in the FO so again, why would he? If you had another option, why would you tie yourself to this organization for the rest of your career? 

The preceding post is why I have zero hope for anything with this franchise

This is the biggest ****up this org has had in as long as I can remember.

I'm not a huge cousins guy, but he's a top 15 qb, we have zero options to retain him long term because we are a wholly incompetent organization.

And we kicked the dude out that wanted him when he was cheap and leaked rumors of drinking to the press to cover it.

This organization is a dumpster fire.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks.  I get it but I doubt it would be a big deal.  What did Robert Kelley run for in the game against Carolina like 11 yards.  Stuff happens.    As Jay talked about today, Kirk just keeps getting better, implying he's not peaked.  

I will admit I'm not as do or die about Kirk as you and Eisenhower are, I'll lose zero sleep if he stays or goes.

But just looking at whats gone down over the past couple years you cant debate Kirk's statistics or character so the only semi-legitimate reason they could have for not signing him last offseason is the way he finished in those last few games coupled with the Green Bay playoff loss.

Archived