Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Who's to say Colt McCoy can't be our version of Case Keenum? McCoy has done nothing in his time with the Redskins to show that he doesn't deserve an opportunity to show what he can do. He was a high draft pick 

3rd round isn't really high for a QB -- most third round QB picks fail.  Kirk is of course a 4th round success but its a rare success for that round.   Colt's had some abysmal QBR scores in his career -- ditto here in his limited duty.  He throws a lot of INTs.   Even if I bought into Colt -- the dude is almost as brittle as Bradford.  What are the odds he makes it through the season?  Slim, I think.

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah and its not even correct.  

And as for cap space

Most projected #NFL cap space for 2018 offseason:

1) #49ers: $116M

2) #Browns: $111M

3) #Colts: $84M

4) #Jets: $76M

5) #Bucs: $64M

6) #Vikings: $58M

7) #Texans: $54M

8) #Redskins: $54M

9) #Titans: $52M

10) #Lions: $48M

Didnt the Colts pay their QB and now have 30Mil more than we do with ours not even under contract?

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Didnt the Colts pay their QB and now have 30Mil more than we do with ours not even under contract?

How is that possible?  Can you pay a QB big money and still keep other players? :)   What if Will Compton and Niles Paul ask for the moon?

Seriously, the only FA's we got that I see are must signs and cost some money is:  Zach Brown.  And maybe either Galette or Murphy.  And Long. Maybe Foster.  Only big money there is Zach Brown.  The idea that we are screwed money wise if we bring back Kirk is wildly off IMO. 

38 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I don't think they have anyone else on their roster worth a damn except TY Hilton and I'm not sure what his contract status is. We've got quite a few expensive players: Williams, Kerrigan, Reed, Norman etc.

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Most projected #NFL cap space for 2018 offseason:

Cap space only matters if Kirk wants to leave and another team tries to structure a contract the Redskins can't match in 2018.

If Kirk wants to stay, we can pay him what he asks and use cap magic to move the hit to whatever years we can absorb it.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Good Cousins discussion on the weekly JP Finley, Tandler, Keim podcast.  They start talking about it on the 14:45 mark.  In a nutshell, Tandler thinks the market for Kirk has shrunk to desirable teams except maybe Jags who have cap space and that "winning culture" Cousins talks about.  He thinks they offer him a transition tag that he accepts for 2018.  Keim leans towards them having gone as far as they can and offers some reasonable contract or a tag/trade.  Finley thinks he gets franchised again.  None of them see any team offering $30 mil per year.  There was a general contract discussion of something around $78 mil over 3 years fully guaranteed.

I'm not sure who said what, but the one who was thinking of franchising again had changed his mind due to the outcomes recently happening in both SF and LA.

I think if we Trans tag him, his agent will be looking for something in the $27M or $28M figure. They're just following what ever the tag dictates. Unless some team out there offers him in that range with a decent GNTD, they might just start packing because I feel the Skins won't match it. He'll probably refuse all offers lower than that and play another year on the tag. This is why I hope they either work something out or let him go to FA and pick up a 3rd rounder. I like the 3 year $78M deal, but I'm sure KC won't go for it. The $30M per year makes me laugh every time I hear it.

I don't think McCoy has it in him to be the late-career blooming Rich Gannon or Alex Smith.  The guy has zero arm, and in today's NFL you really need to be able to stretch the field to keep the pass rush somewhat at bay.  The Raiders were straight up loaded with talent around Gannon, same with The Chiefs for Alex Smith. 

McCoy starting in 2018 would be nothing like those two other situations.

31 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

.....I like the 3 year $78M deal, but I'm sure KC won't go for it. 

That 3 year, $78mil guaranteed was where everyone figured would be a compromise on both sides but they could get that offer out there and KC either takes or doesn't.  They could still transition tag him afterwards.  The bottom line was nobody on that Podcast thought any KC desirable team, now that SF is out, would offer him something crazy.  Who knows....

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

What % do you give to the idea that Cousins simply wants out of D.C. period, and will take a lesser offer somewhere else?  Not considerably lesser, but lower enough to make it obvious he wanted out?

With Dan+Bruce preferring a return to what didn't work for 15+ years over replacing our supposed drunk gm with another so called "full control" qualified gm?

75%

I'm sure he was OK with playing on a 1yr deal but you still throw something out there to see if they take it, if you really want to be here long term like he kept saying about Brady and others.

IMO everybody inside the discussions, including KC, knew where they each stood and when Scot got kicked to the curb he understood the meaning of it.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think they have anyone else on their roster worth a damn except TY Hilton and I'm not sure what his contract status is. We've got quite a few expensive players: Williams, Kerrigan, Reed, Norman etc.

The thing is, they could sign Kirk and have both and still be ahead of the Redskins in cap space and would win more games than the Redskins with Luck never taking another snap. :rofl89:

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

3rd round isn't really high for a QB -- most third round QB picks fail.  Kirk is of course a 4th round success but its a rare success for that round.   Colt's had some abysmal QBR scores in his career -- ditto here in his limited duty.  He throws a lot of INTs.   Even if I bought into Colt -- the dude is almost as brittle as Bradford.  What are the odds he makes it through the season?  Slim, I think.

I'm advocating more for not paying KC and drafting a QB in the 1st round than I am for having to play Colt for a full season. However, I'd like to know how much Colt has improved under Gruden. I just don't have faith in KC taking us to the big game....

48 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

30th or worse defense, no offensive weapons, I bet a rookie would just look spectacular playing for this team next year. :headbang:

Reveal hidden contents

:rofl89::rofl89::rofl89::rofl89::rofl89:

Defense responsible/leading role in 6 or 7 wins this year. 

Each game Ames is its own entity. 

35 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

pffft... you think this organization is going to let the best QB they've had in 30 years leave???...nobody is that dumb...

Before Cousins who was the best of the past 30 years? I'd say it might have been Trent Green, they let him go without an offer. They also did nothing with Rich Gannon who was later the league MVP and 2 time All Pro, played in the SB that our other good QB won.

This team does nothing other than moronic **** when a QB decision needs to be made. They traded a bunch of picks for Brad Johnson then dumped him for nothing a couple years later, signed Jeff George to replace him (lol) then hired a coach who didn't want him (haha). Drafted immobile Ramsay then gave him no OLine or targets. Drafted Carlos instead of Aaron because we traded up to draft Candle (ROFL). RG3? :headbang:

And if they are not that dumb then they will instead be dumb enough to pay him close to 80Mil over 3 years when they didn't think he was worth 40Mil over those same 3 years. :chair:

3 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

30th or worse defense,

Let's not go crazy here.  Our D is at least average, maybe a little above that. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

I agree that the offense would be a dumpster fire with a rookie QB.

57 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Trent Green, they let him go without an offer. They also did nothing with Rich Gannon

Both of them were before Snyder, so irrelevant to the discussion.  Snyder has been bad enough without blaming him for **** that happened when the team was literally between owners.

8 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Cap space only matters if Kirk wants to leave and another team tries to structure a contract the Redskins can't match in 2018.

If Kirk wants to stay, we can pay him what he asks and use cap magic to move the hit to whatever years we can absorb it.

Yep, I mean Staffords cap number in 2017 was 'only' 16.5mil.

we have more than enough capability to lock Kirk up on a LTD and still leave ourselves with 35-40mil in space. Granted a lot of that would get absorbed re-signing our various RFA/FA, draft etc, but we could still dip into the wider FA pool.

8 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

What % do you give to the idea that Cousins simply wants out of D.C. period, and will take a lesser offer somewhere else?  Not considerably lesser, but lower enough to make it obvious he wanted out?

My mind goes back to an interview Kirk had with Peter King over the off season this year when he was overseas. 

The thing that he said then was how he realized that the best QBs don’t leave the teams they broke out with. He understood the importance of staying with his team for his career as others had done before him

Now what that interview and information is worth is anyone’s guess. No one could know how much he wants to leave except him and his agent. He doesn’t appear to be disgruntled to my untrained eye so i would say percentage wise it’s probably less then 10%. 

It’s hard to be mad at a team that’s given you nearly 50 million in two years I would suspect for any NFL player. That feeling would happen in the NBA but in this league he’s been paid so much more then anyone else he is made for life already. Those players don’t get money like that very often it’s very rare.

Kirk knows this and still is a guy just wanting to get what he considers a fair offer. I still wonder if the team has any idea what a fair offer to Kirk really is. That’s the most maddening part of this situation. The reports don’t seem to show a case of them knowing that since the most recent deal was so bad the team felt they had to set the record straight about when they made offers, when they spoke, and then provide the particulars of the contract breakdown and were oblivious as to how bad the organization looked doing that

The problem with the front office is that no respectable team does what Bruce did to Kirk. Holding that press conference after the deadline was the dumbest thing they have done in years and that’s saying a lot. They get one more shot at this and I hope they have learned what not to do but I have my doubts.

Why not just ask him what it will take and if it’s too much trade him away and save everyone the drama? Bruce is an idiot so us fans have to watch him self destruct this situation most likely so I doubt that happens but any other deceit team GM would do that

6 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm advocating more for not paying KC and drafting a QB in the 1st round than I am for having to play Colt for a full season. However, I'd like to know how much Colt has improved under Gruden. I just don't have faith in KC taking us to the big game....

To each their own, disagree 100%.  But to play along, by the time they pick:  Allen, Darnold, Rosen, and even Mayfield are likely gone. The next pool of QBs I think are at best projects so IMO it will be welcome back to 4-12 for years.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To each their own, disagree 100%.  But to play along, by the time they pick:  Allen, Darnold, Rosen, and even Mayfield are likely gone. The next pool of QBs I think are at best projects so IMO it will be welcome back to 4-12 for years.

It will be interesting during the weeks before draft day. Some in the anti-Kirk group might try to fan the flames of ill rumor and stir up talk about the FO trying to swing deals to move up in the draft, and talk shows love to spread anything they can find and call it butter...

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Kirk knows this and still is a guy just wanting to get what he considers a fair offer. I still wonder if the team has any idea what a fair offer to Kirk really is. That’s the most maddening part of this situation. 

I agree with this. 

Either they don't know.  Or the other theory that seems to be implied to just how events have unfolded is that Bruce made the recommendation to Dan not to take Kirk's agent offer in 2016 and told Dan that Scot was wrong about wanting to extend Kirk in 2015.  So basically Bruce has egg on his face because in theory he cost Dan 30-40 million so he's desperately trying to prove to his boss that he didn't cost them much money by being determined to get Kirk at a discount and if Kirk doesn't take the offer its better to let him go.  The idea coming from Mike Jones that the other owners at this stage don't care for Bruce IMO adds maybe an interesting dynamic.

12 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

It will be interesting during the weeks before draft day. Some in the anti-Kirk group might try to fan the flames of ill rumor and stir up talk about the FO trying to swing deals to move up in the draft, and talk shows love to spread anything they can find and call it butter...

I see it on twitter already.  Guys like Mason Rudolph who should drop to our pick our even fall further back are now all of a sudden is gold.   If you follow most of those people's timeline you could see they don't like Kirk going back pretty far.   

Lot of weird stuff to make their points.  Lamar Jackson who skill wise is compared the most to RG3 (but a more athletic and raw version) and is a read option guy just about exclusively all of a sudden is Jay's ideal QB.  I am doubting Mayfield will be available at the Redskins pick but I'll grant he's all over the map in terms of where the draft geeks mock him -- he is a spread QB who plays out of the shot gun and even Tim Tebow said he isn't suited to an NFL offense.

By odd coincidence :ols:,  when their point fits people are showcasing that Jay apparently now prefers spread type QB who might not be ideal WCO guys.  And hey all these guys in the draft are bonafide stars.  Who isn't going to be a stud.  Isn't that how it always works in the NFL draft?  QBs just pan out, plain and simple. :ols: 

If I had to play along the guys who seem closer to a sure thing (if they come out) and seem to suit Jay's offense are Rosen and Darnold.  But you are going to have to give an even bigger ransom that the RG3 deal to trade up considering how far the Redskins would have to climb in the draft.

Just for kicks, had Bruce signed Kirk in 2016 to the 3 year deal at 19M per, this team would have saved 5M this past season and would be sitting with close to 40M in cap space in 2018.  With a bonus of goodwill perhaps leading Kirk to take a hometown discount on the next contract.

Yeah, if I'm Dan or the minority owners, I'm really pissed off at Bruce.

Archived