Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

2 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

Ok so as SIP  in the past has said we need to get public about tge Bruce hate .. the Ruben foster thing is not going away ... The QB situation is a train wreck and it all has links to him ... What can we do as fans to get rid of this stain on the organization ? What is a visible thing that will get Dan's attention ? 

Kidnap Dan. Force him to sell or Chinese water torture him with "Less sugar" vanilla ice cream products

• Jumbo changed the title to The Bruce Allen/GM Thread
3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Why do we care about this LaFemina guy all of a sudden, besides one article telling us to? 

I’ve seen him out making the rounds quite often.  He extended the olive branch to 106.7 and made quite a few appearances there.  I’ve liked pretty much everything he’s had to say and some of the actions he’s taken towards acknowledging why fans are fed up and doing his best to fix it.  He’s doing what he can to make the team likable again.

But in all honesty, I think what we like about him so much is that he came from the league office and wasn’t a crony.  I’m appreciative of simply having  an outside voice talking to Dan.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But in all honesty, I think what we like about him so much is that he came from the league office and wasn’t a crony.  I’m appreciative of simply having  an outside voice talking to Dan.

If anything, I will say that this is my number 1 criticism of Dan - he keeps too much in house. The coaching hires haven't been how other teams do, evaluating the talent pool to see who's available and making a selection based on who is the most impressive. Its been these backdoor deals with Marty, with Spurrier, with Gibbs. With Zorn it was different but it wasn't a real competitive thing. It was an agreement that fell through and hiring somebody else. Then with Shanahan, same thing. Gruden was supposed to be different, but it was kinda like with these last 2 QB hires, we could kinda tell who would be hired by the signs. 

I've worked in environments and as somebody who thinks of myself as a talented individual, it becomes something that you see, and you can learn to work with (well work with until you decide you can't work with it any more), and some talent definitely arises from these crops. The alternative is companies/businesses/teams that never promote from within and so you have thrse guys who are your bosses who don't even know what the company stands for, the moral code, the mission statement and a bunch of other stuff. 

But with Snyder I wish we saw more outside influences. And I don't really expect it from Snyder because he's a business man. But Vinny & Bruce & Shanahan should have been doing this. When they hired Scot, it shouldn't have been a backdoor deal to just hire Scot one day. It should have been an announcement of "hey we're going to start doing a search for a GM", they should have brought in a number of candidates, and they should have evaluated and selected somebody. Same when they got rid of Scot. That's probably my most upsetting part of the hiring of Doug/Kyle/Eric. its not the result which I'm pleased with but that process because its so often repeated. We did have the "vision" of a search, but just like the Sanchez hire, we had beat reporters saying 2 names the whole time were going to be the new GM - Doug and Eric. It doesn't matter that they got the title wrong, or that they didn't know who would win Eric vs Doug. It doesn't really matter that nobody mentioned Kyle at that time. Its just that the searches are so often close minded. 

Its kinda like if Snyder is playing Madden, he'll pick a play like Corners with the slot slant over the middle, and instead of letting the play develop and seeing which WR beats a defender, he'll decide beforehand that he's going to his slot WR because its a safer/easier route. Its why I've been asking for us to go after the no-name no previous head coaching experience candidates to bring in here to build a name for themselves (which is why I was more favorable to both the Zorn and Gruden hires than others here), but we go that route so rarely.

What that leads to is  going for the Shannys, the Gibbses, and the Martys. And aside from the problems I mention above, it generally leads to the HC having more of a say in personnel, and wanting more players who are veterans than younger guys, which means that special teams will probably suffer, we will probably have less draft picks because they'll just invest in it less, and we'll have less quality depth because the depth we do have is more expensive and so we're at two extremes the high salary guys (starters) and the low salary guys. 

I hope that whatever changes we do make, it leads to an actual search. Kyle may be the front runner for a GM position, but he should be interviewed for the job and we should try to bring in other guys - scouts and businessmen and maybe former GMs and see what their vision is of the team, see what kind of work they've done, what are their vices and their motivations, and what's going to be the standard that they're judged by? 

I just get the sense Bruce and Dan are going to fumble this offseason spectacularly.   Longer term, Doug will get the blame. It would be so us to not draft a QB, a lesson learned from early on in The Mike Shanahan Experience. Or of course, desperately overpay to move up to draft one and the guy we draft in a late round looks better. No matter what, we are sure to fumble the QB situation this offseason. I think Colt will be the starter if Jay survives, with Josh the backup.  Alex is obviously in the mix as soon as he is able to be.

While all the injuries may provide an excuse to do nothing major this offseason, I feel like getting RF was an early sign of desperation, evidence that they feel they just can't get a middle linebacker, so we'll take a chance on one with warts. Of course, now RFs girlfriend is singing like a canary.

We should not draft a QB until there is a new regime here. Not until Bruce, Doug, and Jay are all gone and Kyle Smith or a different legit GM candidate hire a HC and they do it together. I do not want to see Allen/Gruden and co. get another shot at a QB. 

On 12/6/2018 at 8:30 AM, bedlamVR said:

Ok so as SIP  in the past has said we need to get public about tge Bruce hate .. the Ruben foster thing is not going away ... The QB situation is a train wreck and it all has links to him ... What can we do as fans to get rid of this stain on the organization ? What is a visible thing that will get Dan's attention ? 

I've said here every now and then over the years, I work in the political arena but I only talk about it in the context of this subject.  I never post in any threads on the board about politics. And without diving into the details -- you'd be hard pressed to find someone more cynical than me from first hand experience about creating change via the political process on a number of fronts.   

But I am not bad at my job, won numerous national awards among other things so I have a decent feel for what's effective and what isn't.   And yeah I do think if the front office is hit up by a number of communications from a number of people -- I think it would provide more impact than some might think.  That goes double when the team is going through a tumultuous period like this.    Again though the volume of emails is the key not content from my experience.  So if all you have time to do is write 2 or three sentences -- that's fine.   IMO whoever does this -- the key is to have your point on the subject line of the email or right from the get go in a letter if you send one.  I've done this on my own multiple times -- heck years ago, I even got a response from Bruce  😀

I am guessing Dan Synder's email address is:  snyderd@redskins.com

The team:

Email: washingtonredskinsfans@redskins.com (general)

Box Office

Email: clubinfo@redskins.com (seats)

To write a letter

FedExField
1600 FedEx Way
Landover, MD 20785
United States

For example that tweet below which I just saw on twitter, I think is likely effective if she has a lot of company from others. 

Suppose Bruce had gotten $50M worth of cap insurance on Alex Smith.

People would be talking right now how lucky the injury was for the Redskins, since the insurance would bail us out of all but $21M of the terrible Alex Smith contract, instead of us having to pay $71M to a healthy bottom-10 NFL QB.

Personally, if I were an insurer, I wouldn't cover a player heavily enough that his team actually benefits from him getting hurt.  For a QB like Stafford, the max could be $40M.  For a QB like Alex Smith, $12M might be too much.

There needs to be firings this afternoon or Monday. Simple as that. I don't care if we're 6-7. It will be 6-10 soon enough.

No reason to lose in this fashion even with the QB situation. Defense is trash, offense has more penalties than positive plays and the team is completely unprepared. People need to be terminated.

Archived