Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

So in our culture, this is where we are.

I'll never understand how reasonable people let us get to the point where lunatics literally run our asylum.

Nothing will happen. No changes no matter how bad it gets.
We may as well call this country "Rivera".

~Bang

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, Bang said:

I'll never understand how reasonable people let us get to the point where lunatics literally run our asylum.

Because reasonable people are preoccupied with their day to day life. Work, kids, social life. 

not trying to defend it. But that’s what it is. 

i get up at 6 and I don’t have time to do anything “for myself” until about 9/9:30 pm. And even then that time is often taken by something else anyways. I stay informed mostly by this forum which is a habit/addiction i formed 15 years ago in my early 20’s. When life was much simpler.  And honestly - I should never come here again and use that time for something more productive in my day to day life…

it’s hard to carve out time to pay attention. Especially when what you’re paying attention to is depressing. 

easier to just identify which label I like best, defend it when it comes up, attack the other when it comes up, and not concern oneself with pesky time consuming details. 

and vote once a year. Or don’t. Cause who gives a **** anyways, as you said it’s all run by crazy people anyways. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Per Wired...I'd link it but it came up on my Apple News app, not sure how to get a link from it.  Basically it talks about the flood of disinformation that's been circulating on social media about the shooter.

No surprises here, people can't wait to figure out which team this guy is on and they also can't wait to be the FIRST to break some news and get clicks/followers 🙄

Another of the main false narratives circulating in the hours after Card was identified was that he had been arrested in 2016 for possessing and disseminating sexually explicit materials. This was also inaccurate: It refers to a different person named Robert Card, who is also 40 years old and from Maine.

Some accounts labeled Card “a far-left lunatic” based on the unverified claim that he voted for former US president Barack Obama. Others wildly tried to link the incident to the current crisis in the Middle East, claiming, without evidence, that Card “was a Hamas supporter.”

While misinformation about the mass shooting proliferated across social media, the problem was acute on X, where owner Elon Musk has incentivized people to post engaging and viral content even if it’s not accurate. As a result, users rushed to be the first to post updates about the shooting despite being blatantly false.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Per Wired...I'd link it but it came up on my Apple News app, not sure how to get a link from it.  Basically it talks about the flood of disinformation that's been circulating on social media about the shooter.

No surprises here, people can't wait to figure out which team this guy is on and they also can't wait to be the FIRST to break some news and get clicks/followers 🙄

I got on Twitter this morning for something else and saw a post in my feed that he had been caught and praised the Maine response. I had to check mainstream media to confirm that this was bogus. It was so detailed, much more than Joe Blow posting that this guy was a Hilary supporter or some nonsense.

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Per Wired...I'd link it but it came up on my Apple News app, not sure how to get a link from it

You have to click the share icon, open in browser, then you’ll be able to copy the direct link and not the Apple News link 

7 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I don't give a **** if the guy voted for me to be president, he needs to be taken out and we need to figure out a way to stop this from happening so damn often.  

this is exactly why I technically support the death penalty. 

Unfortunately you have the pesky problem of writing laws which means you will always have the provlems we have with the death penalty 

but if I could be king, this would be a Wanted: Dead Only situation. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Also to add to the misinformation problem conversation - saw videos at 3 am when I woke up (****ing hamster) of the suspect being arrested in the street at gun point that were obviously fake

Yeah, that’s what I was referring to. Had to be from something else.

Similar to the trade rumors of Chase Young to Jacksonville or Derrick Henry to Baltimore. Take your pick.

UvUJpLvcJ6-4ozx1JVjreRHjBwKdf6u_m64rWvin

As long as individual gun owners and gun lovers want their guns, we'll never stop mass shootings. 

I have no idea how often a "good guy with a gun" protects themselves.  I can only think that with all the pro-gun money out there, that we should be flooded with verifiable news storys of "John Smith defended himself with his firearm today" to counterbalance the "ANOTHER MASS SHOOTING" narrative. 

Or, the pro-gun folk don't even need to put that out...

Golf clap for all the gun owners of Amercia.  This slaughter of innocents is the price you pay so you can feel a (IMHO) false sense of security. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1