Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

13 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Pretty unreal that they haven't caught this guy yet.

I’ve noticed in these types of man hunts… it becomes prolonged because the POI is dead. It’s still too early to presume this though.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I’ve noticed in these types of man hunts… it becomes prolonged because the POI is dead. It’s still too early to presume this though.

Apparently the note they found at his place seemed to indicate that he didn't expect to be found alive, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's why he's been so hard to find. He went out into the middle of nowhere in Maine and offed himself.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

I wish he’d reversed his list of victims and started with himself. Would have saved a lot of folks some grief.

I was saying the exact same thing to wife just a few seconds ago. Too sad. 

They also said he killed himself at the recycling area where he used to work at. Should have just recycled himself first. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I want to know why he did this.

You may never know any other reason other than he was mentally ill. There is no reason that is good enough. My wife wants a reason for everything. I can’t always give it to her. Giggidy Giggidy  Sometimes things are the way they are. It sucks in this situation.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

You may never know any other reason other than he was mentally ill. There is no reason that is good enough. My wife wants a reason for everything. I can’t always give it to her. Giggidy Giggidy  Sometimes things are the way they are. It sucks in this situation.

Plenty of mentally ill people in this world.

Plenty of shooters that were mentally ill.  Common thread of those that were both was an obsession with violence and using that to solve their problems.

I'm not buying we'll never know...he was in the military, yet if he was mentally ill why did that not come up and how was he allowed to train people how to use guns, let alone have them himself?

It jus feels like our existing rules to catch situations like this are Swiss cheese at best and folks like him consistently get through the holes because of it.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Plenty of mentally ill people in this world.

Plenty of shooters that were mentally ill.  Common thread of those that were both was an obsession with violence and using that to solve their problems.

I'm not buying we'll never know...he was in the military, yet if he was mentally ill why did that not come up and how was he allowed to train people how to use guns, let alone have them himself?

It jus feels like our existing rules to catch situations like this are Swiss cheese at best and folks like him consistently get through the holes because of it.

Some officials have come out and said he was not a gun instructor. I know the original report said that he was. But, yes, the yellow flag laws should have caught him. They should have confiscated his guns while he was in the mental health facility. 

He just started having mental issues over the summer supposedly and at 40 it would seem he has been in the reserves for quite awhile. So, he could have had many jobs…although we don’t know that right now only the Army does. 

I know some people are against confiscating guns no matter the reason and others just give it lip service. But I do wonder whether or not these people slip through intentionally by lone people protecting these guys 2nd amendment rights or if the people in charge of confiscating the guns are afraid to do so for their own safety. I’m thinking of a situation like Uvalde where the law enforcement were afraid to go in and do their jobs.

• Like 1

@Fan since a Fetus

Yea, not all red flag laws are created equal...I can see the military concerned on taking lead of taking guns from their own service members and precedent that would set if they did it on their own, but they have to start somewhere.

I'm going to be perturbed if I find out he was on somebody's "radar".  And there's a process for escalation when local law enforcement doesn't feel they have what they need to handle a situation themselves.

This is one of those problems that can't work with individual silo'd solutions, it needs national coordination same way we treated Islamic Extremism after 9/11, imo.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Fan since a Fetus

Yea, not all red flag laws are created equal...I can see the military concerned on taking lead of taking guns from their own service members and precedent that would set if they did it on their own, but they have to start somewhere.

I'm going to be perturbed if I find out he was on somebody's "radar".  And there's a process for escalation when local law enforcement doesn't feel they have what they need to handle a situation themselves.

This is one of those problems that can't work with individual silo'd solutions, it needs national coordination same way we treated Islamic Extremism after 9/11, imo.

He was on lots of radars. He'd been hospitalized for mental health issues, the police were aware that he'd made threats about perpetrating a shooting, the military was aware that he'd made threats to other military members and that he had mental health problems. Practically every red flag you can imagine.

It was a complete breakdown of any sort of response to someone who is so clearly a very high risk individual. One of the issues is that it's in Maine, where they don't have red flag laws of pretty much any kind. So even if someone had wanted to, I don't think there's a legal way they could have confiscated his guns.

That's why now some state level Dems in the Maine House and Senate are starting to reverse their opinions on not having those sorts of laws (bit too late for 18 people now, you ****wads).

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

The DC Sniper situation hits to this day (I still double peep white vans) and I don't wish that on anybody.

Except they didn't use a white van. They used a Chevy Caprice setup to shoot out of the trunk. White vans getting the Richard Jewel treatment unnecessarily. 😒

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Except they didn't use a white van. They used a Chevy Caprice setup to shoot out of the trunk. White vans getting the Richard Jewel treatment unnecessarily. 😒

I have white van ptsd too…but it’s from Wookies using them to transport their nitrous tanks.

*shudders*

• Haha 1