Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Suspect who fatally shot 2 officers, 1 first responder was not permitted to own firearm

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/suspect-fatally-shot-2-officers-1-first-responder-was-not-permitted-fi-rcna139474

The man who fatally shot two Minnesota police officers and a first responder over the weekend was prohibited from owning a firearm and made an unsuccessful bid to overturn the lifelong state ban four years ago, court records show.

• 2 weeks later...

Profound Damage Found in Maine Gunman’s Brain, Possibly From Blasts

A specialized laboratory examining the brain of the gunman who committed Maine’s deadliest mass shooting found profound brain damage of the kind that has been seen in veterans exposed to repeated blasts from weapons use.

The lab’s findings were included in an autopsy report that was compiled by the Maine chief medical examiner’s office and released by the gunman’s family.

The gunman, Robert Card, was a grenade instructor in the Army Reserve. In 2023, after eight years of being exposed to thousands of skull-shaking blasts on the training range, he began hearing voices and was stalked by paranoid delusions, his family said. He grew increasingly erratic and violent in the months before the October rampage in Lewiston, in which he killed 18 people and then himself.

His brain was sent to a Veterans Affairs laboratory in Boston that is known for its pioneering work documenting chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., in athletes.

According to the lab’s report, prepared on Feb. 26 and updated on Wednesday, the white matter that forms the wiring deep in the brain had “moderately severe” damage, and in some areas was missing entirely. The delicate tissue sheaths that insulate each biological circuit lay in “disorganized clumps,” and throughout Mr. Card’s brain there was scarring and inflammation suggesting repeated trauma.

This was not C.T.E., the report said. It was a characteristic pattern of damage that has been found before in military veterans who were repeatedly exposed to weapons blasts during their service.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

James Crumbley Found Guilty in Michigan School Shooting Trial

Prosecutors charged Mr. Crumbley and his wife with involuntary manslaughter after their son killed four schoolmates. She was convicted last month on the same charges.

A jury found James Crumbley guilty of involuntary manslaughter late Thursday after about 11 hours of deliberation, holding him partially responsible for failing to prevent his son from carrying out Michigan’s deadliest school shooting.

Mr. Crumbley’s wife, Jennifer Crumbley, was convicted of identical charges last month in the same Pontiac, Mich., courtroom, after a jury deliberated for roughly the same amount of time. The trials became a lightning rod for issues of parental responsibility at a time of high-profile gun violence by minors.

The parenting skills of each defendant came under intense scrutiny, as did the shooter’s access to a handgun that his father had purchased. Now, two separate juries have taken the unusual step of holding a parent criminally responsible for a child’s horrific crimes.

The repeated result “cements the concept that the prosecution here found a successful playbook, and they used it again,” said Mark D. Chutkow, a lawyer and former federal prosecutor in Michigan.

Oakland County prosecutors charged the Crumbleys three days after the Nov. 30, 2021, shooting at Oxford High School, where their son, Ethan, who was 15 at the time, killed Madisyn Baldwin, 17; Tate Myre, 16; Justin Shilling, 17; and Hana St. Juliana, 14, and injured seven others.

“James Crumbley was presented with the easiest, most glaring opportunities to prevent the deaths of these four students,” Karen McDonald, the prosecutor in Oakland County, said in closing arguments on Wednesday. “And he did nothing.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

At least 40 dead in Moscow concert hall attack, intelligence service says

At least 40 people have been killed after gunmen attacked a packed concert venue on the outskirts of Moscow, Russian intelligence said

More than 100 were wounded at the Crocus City Hall, the FSB added

Dramatic video shows panicked concertgoers taking cover as shots and explosions ring out

A large fire has engulfed the roof of the complex and Russian special forces have been deployed to the scene

The White House says it is working to find out more about the situation but that there is "no indication at this time" that Ukraine is involved

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-68642036

8 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Interesting thread for a Moscow Mass Shooting.  Ukraine has denied responsibility.

Crazy that Russia could be at war with another country, be victim of a terrorist attack and not only is no one thinking that Ukraine did it...but most people think its Putin.

21 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Crazy that Russia could be at war with another country, be victim of a terrorist attack and not only is no one thinking that Ukraine did it...but most people think its Putin.

Granted.  Ill informed, here.  

But my impression is that Ukraine is a lot better at knowing what is and isn't good PR, than this.  

And my impression is that no, Putin isn't better at knowing what people will fall for, than this.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Interesting thread for a Moscow Mass Shooting.  Ukraine has denied responsibility.

Yeah, I wasn't sure where to put this . I thought I remembered some of the EU shootings that occurred being in this thread. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure where to put this . I thought I remembered some of the EU shootings that occurred being in this thread. 🤷‍♂️

There's no proof this has anything to do with Ukraine War yet. I agree with putting it here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

ISIS is claiming it, though I don't know what that's worth.

Damn...there's biting off more then you can chew, then there's this...what's the rationale there over attacking Israel or us?

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Damn...there's biting off more then you can chew, then there's this...what's the rationale there over attacking Israel or us?

Russia has been propping up Syrian dictator Assad, who is an Alawite - a heterodox splinter group of Shia islam for whom Ibn Tawmiyyah (the medieval scholar who is the basis for salafist/jihadist ideology) issued a fatwa demanding their extermination. ISIS views holding territory in areas of Syria (I think Raqqah, but am going off memory) as essential to re-establishing the caliphate and bringing about the end of times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

ISIS is claiming it, though I don't know what that's worth.

Not really seeing a motive, for them. Well, other than "just like crazy". 

15 hours ago, Larry said:

Not really seeing a motive, for them. Well, other than "just like crazy". 

They have a long history of attacking Russia

Islamic State’s deadly Moscow attack highlights its fixation with Russia | Moscow concert hall attack | The Guardian

A claim has surfaced that the attack was carried out by Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP) a regional affiliate of the IS terrorist organisation. IS has been implicated in some of Russia’s largest recent terror attacks, including the 2017 bombing in the St Petersburg metro that killed 15 and injured 45.

The group, which is a branch of IS mainly based in Afghanistan, has increasingly focused its attention on Russia since the United States left Afghanistan in 2021. The group was formed in 2015 by members of militant groups, including those from Pakistan and Uzbekistan, and is active in central Asia and Russia. It carried out twin bombings in January in Iran that killed nearly 100 people.

Putin changed the course of the Syrian civil war by intervening in 2015, supporting President Bashar al-Assad against the opposition and Islamic State. “Isis-K has been fixated on Russia for the past two years, frequently criticising Putin in its propaganda,” said Colin Clarke of the Soufan Center, according to Reuters.