Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

That line can also denote when social media started to hit critical mass.

(there was definition discussions upthread. I see this visualization doesn’t capture the school shootings at Michigan St and the Nashville private school)

Yeah I think that tweet is probably a bit too simplistic. There are lots of factors to consider. But when you throw all of those factors into a cauldron and then add the ability to very easily access high powered firearms that a person can put 100 rounds through in a minute it's absolutely catastrophic.

• Like 1

Donald Trump Jr. Blames FBI for Maine Shootings

Donald Trump Jr. blamed the FBI for the deadly mass shootings that have shaken Maine, saying the bureau could have stopped the shooter if it was less focused on investigating "MAGA patriots."

"The Maine shooter was (as always) known to law enforcement, previously committed to a mental institution and prohibited from owning firearms," he posted on X (formerly Twitter) on Thursday morning.

"If only the FBI would stop spying on Catholics, concerned parents at PTA meetings, and Maga patriots maybe they'd actually stop real terrorists for a change rather than trying to create them," the former president's eldest son said.

FBI declined Newsweek's request for comment.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Donald Trump Jr. Blames FBI for Maine Shootings

Donald Trump Jr. blamed the FBI for the deadly mass shootings that have shaken Maine, saying the bureau could have stopped the shooter if it was less focused on investigating "MAGA patriots."

"The Maine shooter was (as always) known to law enforcement, previously committed to a mental institution and prohibited from owning firearms," he posted on X (formerly Twitter) on Thursday morning.

"If only the FBI would stop spying on Catholics, concerned parents at PTA meetings, and Maga patriots maybe they'd actually stop real terrorists for a change rather than trying to create them," the former president's eldest son said.

FBI declined Newsweek's request for comment.

I thought this guy and his dad were MAGA patriots.

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Was he prohibited from owning guns?

Also where to bad guys with a gun get their guns from? Good guys with a gun. In fact. At one point this guy was a good guy.

Family guy, weapon instructor, army reservist. Hell that sounds like a conservatives American dream to me. 

If he had tried to purchase guns after being hospitalized for mental illness he might have failed a NICS background check due to that, though I don't know how they get mental health records and how comprehensive it is.

Problem is he already owned the guns and Maine has no red flag laws, so there wouldn't have been a legal way for them to confiscate his guns in a timely manner.

They do have what are known as "yellow flag" laws, which are basically watered down and toothless versions of red flag laws. You have to go through a bunch of procedural bureaucratic steps before it gets to the point where they can take the person's guns. It's several steps and can take quite a bit of time. Which makes it more or less useless in any sort of acute situation like this.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 dead, 18 injured in Ybor shooting during Halloween celebrations

At least two people are dead after a shooting right in the heart of Ybor City’s nightlife scene, police said.

The Tampa Police Department said the shooting took place at about 3 a.m. Sunday on the 1600 block of East 7th Avenue.

Chief Lee Bercaw said it began as a street fight between two groups of people.

“Between these two groups, we had hundreds of innocent people involved that were in the way,” the chief said.

The shooting killed two people, and 18 others were hospitalized, although Bercaw did not give specifics on their injuries.

One man, Emmitt Wilson, said his 14-year-old son was one of the victims who died. Police have not confirmed the ages or identities of the fatalities.

“This the second child I done lost to gun violence,” Wilson said. “That’s all I got to say. I’m losing my mind right now; I don’t know what to do.”

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Was he prohibited from owning guns?

Also where to bad guys with a gun get their guns from? Good guys with a gun. In fact. At one point this guy was a good guy.

Family guy, weapon instructor, army reservist. Hell that sounds like a conservatives American dream to me. 

As I mentioned earlier in here. Maine is insanely easy to purchase a gun. It was obvious these were legally purchased guns. 

The failure is that it was known he had a mental illness, and from what I read the police were warned about him. The police failed.

Also what Ive read about Maine is that if you are involuntarily admitted to a psyche ward, you lose tour guns. So, my question is, was he ever involuntarily admitted? I believe I read somewhere that atvine point he was in an instition for his mental problems.

Edit:

I just found this quote. The system kinda worked...but once he was rejected for the silencer, they probably ahould have followed up on him...

He came in and filled out the form, he checked off a box that incriminated himself saying that he was in an institution,” Rick LaChapelle, owner of Coastal Defense Firearms, said. “Our staff was fantastic, let him finish filling out the form, and said, ‘I'm sorry, Mr. Card, we cannot give you this… at this point in time, we cannot release this silencer to you because of the answers that you've given us.”

Edited by Xameil

Well, remember, the guy that shot up the gay nightclub in Florida had the fbi investigating him. They had to close it because after a certain amount of time you either have to show you have something or close it, and they didn’t have anything actionable. 

this is an unfortunate part of our rights. They are not allowed to investigate you and put you under surveillance indefinitely just because someone said something one time. There are limits to what they can do. 

i have a feeling this one may wind up being different. I recall seeing an article that said the police never followed up or made contact. That’s going to be a problem for whoever made that decision. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Well, remember, the guy that shot up the gay nightclub in Florida had the fbi investigating him. They had to close it because after a certain amount of time you either have to show you have something or close it, and they didn’t have anything actionable. 

this is an unfortunate part of our rights. They are not allowed to investigate you and put you under surveillance indefinitely just because someone said something one time. There are limits to what they can do. 

i have a feeling this one may wind up being different. I recall seeing an article that said the police never followed up or made contact. That’s going to be a problem for whoever made that decision. 

Really hard to say in this case.  Reading the whole article gives plenty of evidence that police made reasonable efforts.  A sheriff's deputy made a wellness check but Card didn't answer the door.  Should they have tried again, or been more aggressive?  Hindsight wants us to say yes, but that's what makes these cases so hard.  We don't really want a society where police knock down your door just because somebody said you were unstable.

According to the article (which from what I can tell is leaning heavily on the officer's report) the deputy talked to multiple family members and Card's CO at the base.  The brother and father said they had ways to get the guns and secure them.  The CO said he felt like Card needed some space to recover.  The ex-wife and sister said Card promised them he was about to go to the doctor for his paranoia.

I'm not sure I can fault law enforcement on this one. 

• Like 1