Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

When he was on the field, he produced.  Simple as that.  He was playing out of position and you could see the potential/talent.  Not sure where you're getting he sucked at football.  Your post is COMPLETELY irrational and reactionary. 

"when he was on the field" is probably where your comment could stop.

He was playing out of position as a close to the line situational guy in pass situations? Right. His position was safety playing linebacker on pass downs. It was his position with kids gloves. My post is what I've been saying since we drafted him....a round too early...when the board was loaded with actual safeties.

But oh wait, he said he loved ST and was honoring him by taking his number, he must be great. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I was going to add something like that to my post but I know I would have been crucified and didn't feel like defending it.  this wonderful gentleman that loves picking football players has spend a 3rd (Matt Jones) and a 2nd round pick (Su) on guys that are not very good as advertised.  Here is to hoping I am totally wrong won Su'a.

Let's not forget the guard at 5 who was pushed around all preseason or the WR who doesn't actually play football and is being accused of the same exact thing.

3 minutes ago, zoony said:

To me at least, this part goes without saying.  I think the bigger story here is all of the warning signs that have been simmering under the surface and swept away by the front office... putting him in the starting spot to try to prove some kind of point about draft prowess.  I continue to be amazed by the absolte organizational dysfuntion that permeates this organization.

Do we think for one second a Lovie Smith or Bill Bellicjeck gives this guy a starting job?  I think they pull him into a meeting in the offseason and have a heart to heart... "is football what you want to do, son?"

Weve all had that job where everyone is busting their ass except the one guy who doesnt even want to be there... and he is the one who ends up being promoted... and then quits... we all know dysfunctional organizations when we see them

This starts at the top, the tantrums that Snyder throws when draft picks dont turn out... leads to where we are...an organization filled with lackeys trying to appease the tyrant rather than build a football team

and gms punching through walls

I'm pissed as well when draft picks don't turn out. I'm not even financially invested

Frankly, I'm  embarrassed by some of the responses in this thread. One of the reasons I post much less frequently is because of this hive mentality. 

Do any of you think a 22 year old kid would throw away millions, and his best chance to set up his kids and his kid's kid's families by playing in the NFL for no reason?

hes clearly going through something. Who knows if it's injuries, or something in his head in regards to continuing to play football... but there is something there. The media doesn't and will never get all of answers. 

As a fan of this franchise it's embarrassing to see some of the responses. As a human it's quite sad.

i love this game. But it's a game. And if Su'a Cravens really doesn't want to play who are any of us to question him?

10 minutes ago, zoony said:

To me at least, this part goes without saying.  I think the bigger story here is all of the warning signs that have been simmering under the surface and swept away by the front office... putting him in the starting spot to try to prove some kind of point about draft prowess.  I continue to be amazed by the absolte organizational dysfuntion that permeates this organization.

Do we think for one second a Lovie Smith or Bill Bellicjeck gives this guy a starting job?  I think they pull him into a meeting in the offseason and have a heart to heart... "is football what you want to do, son?"

Weve all had that job where everyone is busting their ass except the one guy who doesnt even want to be there... and he is the one who ends up being promoted... and then quits... we all know dysfunctional organizations when we see them

This starts at the top, the tantrums that Snyder throws when draft picks dont turn out... leads to where we are...an organization filled with lackeys trying to appease the tyrant rather than build a football team

I didn't even think about it that way, but you bring up an EXCELLENT point.  Seems as though the Skins knew what they were dealing with but handled the situation/Cravens with kid gloves.  Essentially putting a band-aid on a gash that required staples.  Like you said, the warning signs were clearly there...even going back to his days at USC.  Shoot, even McCloughan was talking the guy up as a "football" player.  The Skins FO was essentially selling Cravens to be one thing, but there were more complex issues to his makeup than folks realized. 

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Frankly, I'm  embarrassed by some of the responses in this thread. One of the reasons I post much less frequently is because of this hive mentality. 

Do any of you think a 22 year old kid would throw away millions, and his best chance to set up his kids and his kid's kid's families by playing in the NFL for no reason?

hes clearly going through something. Who knows if it's injuries, or something in his head in regards to continuing to play football... but there is something there. The media doesn't and will never get all of answers. 

As a fan of this franchise it's embarrassing to see some of the responses. As a human it's quite sad.

i love this game. But it's a game. And if Su'a Cravens really doesn't want to play who are any of us to question him?

Some teammates are doing the same, apparently...

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I personally don't like the way the team handled this and quite frankly most of how they handle matters such as this. I wish Cravens all the luck in the world getting better, even hope he somehow comes back. I don't like the timing of this for the team sake. I do think his irrational behavior should have been dealt with prior to one week before the opener, he is a starter afterall. In conclusion as you stated, it is really hard to know all the details based on the limited reports from the media. 

As for Fans, does anything really surprise you that much anymore KD. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm with you on a lot of that, but that's assuming the worst scenario (he's mentally ill). If that's the case I wish nothing but love for the kid and he should take his $400,000 and get the hell out of here and heal himself. 

But, on the flip side there is what is most likely happening. He got injured in a game he didn't want to play in, and he's pissed off because its back to the drawing board of healing. He doesn't like to put in the work. There's way too many clues pointing in that direction for us. Again, I hope he finds the courage to fight through his injuries and do his job and be an elite player at this level. 

It's my firm belief he will be back in October or he will be getting sued for his signing bonus. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think anyone is questioning him but this is obviously not just a spur of the moment decision. It's obviously an issue he's been dealing with for a long time now and he as well as friends/family/team should know enough to tell him to just retire instead of constantly contemplating it. Football player or human he still has a responsibility if he does play to everyone from family to his teammates and if he isn't committed to the task then he's not helping anyone. If he does come back but he's still not in it then he's going to get himself hurt. This isn't some cubicle job where he can stare at a blank computer screen for 9 hours. There are much dire repercussions and consequences both personally and professionally.

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Let's not forget the guard at 5 who was pushed around all preseason 

The guy was a pro-bowler last year. It's ridiculous how some here jump ship on franchise players because they didn't excel in preseason even while coming off a dominant year.

24 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Seriously, when did that happen?

2001 when Dan wanted to draft Santana Moss and Marty overruled him and went with Rod Gardner. In my opinion that's when Dan concluded he is a better personnel man than seasoned NFL executives. The Marty firing and Vinny enablement for nearly a decade after that was the price we paid...

39 minutes ago, zoony said:

I've never met the dude so I can't vouch one way or another but if I could have a $1 every time I read or heard a story along these lines, I'd be a rich man. :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2013/12/09/the-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-year-of-washington-redskins-owner-dan-snyder/#10afbacf7d14

But the other thing an owner is supposed to do, of course, is put a winning product on the field. In that regard, Snyder has failed miserably. Under Snyder, the franchise has just four winning seasons in 15 years. During those years Snyder has acted less like an owner than an entitled fan, at times petulant, thin-skinned and impatient.

16 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

2001 when Dan wanted to draft Santana Moss and Marty overruled him and went with Rod Gardner. In my opinion that's when Dan concluded he is a better personnel man than seasoned NFL executives. The Marty firing and Vinny enablement for nearly a decade after that was the price we paid...

Damn. Dan was actually right lol

But still, blaming Sua's indecisivness on Dan being rightfully upset about a draft pick from when Sua was six years old sounds like it's straight from a Charles Dickens novel.

Archived