Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

39 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is clearly a team-sanctioned leak. He just went on the non-football absence list or whatever...there were going to be questions, and this FO never does anything with class.

After seeing that video and all the stories about Cravens in the past, I highly doubt that only team officials could have leaked this story.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What...the...****

For a guy who loves "football players" it's really starting to look like McCloughan was fooled into drafting a couple of soft players in the first three rounds who not only didn't help change the culture but also tried to quit on their teammates, in Cravens and Jones. We cut Jones and we still don't even know if Cravens can play the position we want him to.

A new all-time low for Extremeskins. Calling a player "soft," lambasting him for "quitting on his teammates" when dealing with depression and mental health issues. Unbelievable and disgraceful. You should be ashamed ConnSkins26.

1 minute ago, dallasfan said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/03/undrafted-rookie-cole-beasley-quits-on-the-cowboys/

This is an article back in 2012 about Cole Beasley.  Garrett talked him into coming back and I think we can all agree it worked out well.  I don't know what Cravens' motivations are, but it's not impossible for him to recover from this.

Good find and thanks. Yeah it's not impossible, just the timing is horrendous for both him and the team. 

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Holy ****. It radiates off him and Compton can smell it, his heart's not in it. Let him go.

Or maybe the team, with its tremendous resources, has a responsibility to help him through what he's going through. But I guess you've already expressed that he's not a person, just a football player who's disappointing you.

The thing is this really depends on what exactly the issue with Cravens is.   Is this some of kind of mental health issue that he can work through.  Is it a fear issue that rose from the injury last year?  Is it some kind of combination of both?

I honestly think those issues above can be worked through with the right help and amount of time.

What can't be worked through however, is if the guy's heart is not into competitive sports anymore.  It takes a certain amount of work and dedication to play at an elite level and be effective (not to mention being paid millions to do it).  You simply can't fake the passion.  Maybe as a 33 year old veteran looking to hang on for a final season or two to win a championship, but as a 22 year old young buck, if your heart is already not in it to win it, there is an issue there.

2 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

A new all-time low for Extremeskins. Calling a player "soft," lambasting him for "quitting on his teammates" when dealing with depression and mental health issues. Unbelievable and disgraceful. You should be ashamed ConnSkins26.

Are you sure he just doesn't give a **** about football? If he is suffering from major depression some therapy and the right meds are an amazing thing. But you have to be humble about it. I hope he gets help if that indeed is it. 

11 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

WTF? lol...Where exactly has it been shown he's dealing with depression and mental health issues?

33 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

You got that right. Pretty classless. If this kid is indeed dealing with mental health issues, this would make it much more difficult for him. You don't publicize things like this,especially to the four-letter network and its principal gossip.

But what guy goes on the non-football injury list without an explanation? That doesnt happen, not just here.

8 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

That was the OP, before any further details came out. I've since clarified my opinions about the situation, so hopefully you keep reading. But the stories from last year leave no doubt over whether he's soft or not. The mental health stuff, I wish him well and can't imagine. None of that info had really come out when I first commented, AND we don't even know if that's what he's dealing with. Unless you have more info than we do.

7 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Or, what?...We shouldn't call ourselves fans?

Turn in your fan card right now mister. 

49 minutes ago, readonly said:

If he is such a putty wink that he wants to quick after one year then he never should have signed up for the draft and signed a multi-year contract.  Quitting under these circumstances is NOT just a personal decision, it affects the entire team and the fan base.  If he is medically cleared to play and he just quits, then he is a massive putty wink.  And those that would rush to his defense are putty winks too.

Awh!  Someone needs a hug.   It's his life and choice to make.  Period.  

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

WTF? lol...Where exactly has it been shown he's dealing with depression and mental health issues?

I agree. Dude just is tired of the grind but isn't ready to give up the limelight yet. This isn't the first time he's clashed with the team second guessing his work ethic.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20140816/usc-safety-sua-cravens-clashed-with-teammates-over-miscommunication

Calling him soft and such though is premature as he may very well be going through some ish. A bad injury can very easily put things into perspective for a player. SF had some smart, tough dudes retire for similar reasons. Sua is a smart dude working on a degree in policy planning.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You really think a guy who's been in love with football his whole life, worshipped Sean Taylor and Troy Polamalu, achieved his dream and reached the NFL, was known for bringing intense energy, enthusiasm and passion on the field -- suddenly wants to leave it all behind... and isn't depressed? Especially with a recent history of concussions? Think you have to be incredibly dense to believe he's not going through some real troubling **** right now.

6 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Or maybe the team, with its tremendous resources, has a responsibility to help him through what he's going through. But I guess you've already expressed that he's not a person, just a football player who's disappointing you.

I think my posts expressed a hell of a lot more of a nuanced opinion than that, if you care to read the longer ones, rather than taking quotes of mine out of context because you've decided you're mad about something I said.

1 minute ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

You really think a guy who's been in love with football his whole life, worshipped Sean Taylor and Troy Polamalu, achieved his dream and reached the NFL, was known for bringing intense energy, enthusiasm and passion on the field -- suddenly wants to leave it all behind... and isn't depressed? Especially with a recent history of concussions? Think you have to be incredibly dense to believe he's not going through some real troubling **** right now.

I see. So your uninformed assumptions about a player's mental health are more valid than other posters' uninformed assumptions about a player's mental health. Fascinating. 

Archived