Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

@AdamSchefter: Su'a Cravens told some Redskins on Saturday he plans to retire, but a meeting with team officials has changed his mind for now, per sources....

@AdamSchefter: The 22-year-old Su'a Cravens, who was nursing a knee injury,  now expected to miss start of season as Washington helps him address issues.

@AdamSchefter: Redskins change 22-year-old safety Su'a Cravens' mind about retiring for now:

https://t.co/CsS5VTXF2n https://t.co/eUphqDeYmy

What...the...****

For a guy who loves "football players" it's really starting to look like McCloughan was fooled into drafting a couple of soft players in the first three rounds who not only didn't help change the culture but also tried to quit on their teammates, in Cravens and Jones. We cut Jones and we still don't even know if Cravens can play the position we want him to.

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

Is this true? WTF? Just cut his ass if it's true. 

I get the sentiment but we have too much invested in the talent he may have, if he's going through a rough stretch we gotta try and salvage him. 

But I agree he seems like a **** who doesn't appreciate the opportunity he's been given.

Remember that weird fiasco with his concussion last year when he freaked out on social media about never being able to see correctly again or some ****...I bet he thought about retiring then too.

This is all very bad. Highly doubt we get anything from that 2nd round pick now unless he legitimately needs therapy and gets it. 

We can stop expecting him to be a "building block" now. That was mostly projection anyways. 

Below average athlete without a position who doesn't love the game...wtf Scot. 

Definetly seems/seemed like a guy that thought he was a pretty boy and focused more on how many followers he has on Instagram. That's not hindsight speaking, even if they come out now saying "this is false reporting". Another Devin Thomas type to me.

5 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

Sadly same thing for Doctson....

He's injured all the time but other than Cooley's idiot ramblings I don't ever remember something that made me think he couldn't or didn't want to play. Maybe the high draft pick Cooley was hearing whispers about was Cravens, but I hate to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

One thing that's going to piss me off, is that, now this is out in public, eventually he'll fail here, get cut or whatever and we'll lose any chance of compensation. The first time they knew about this, they should have traded him quietly and got something for him.

1 minute ago, dyst said:

One thing that's going to piss me off, is that, now this is out in public, eventually he'll fail here, get cut or whatever and we'll lose any chance of compensation. The first time they knew about this, they should have traded him quietly and got something for him.

Pretty unethical. Underhandedly trading players with a waning will to play seems like a great idea to make teams weary of trading with you in the future. Not worth what little we would have gotten for a player without any special physical qualities, who hasn't done anything in the NFL yet, who'd already been injured, who we over-drafted in the first place most likely. 

Stunning flip from him but also some of you fans. It's his life - if he wants to walk away from football, either for his health or other reasons, that's 100% his decision to make and we should respect it. Knowing what we do about CTE already, if he is thinking of retiring for his health and future self, I totally respect that and he has my full support. I would never ask someone to sacrifice their cognitive abilities and physical mobility strictly for my entertainment value. 

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Pretty unethical. Underhandedly trading players with a waning will to play seems like a great idea to make teams weary of trading with you in the future. Not worth what little we would have gotten for a player without any special physical qualities, who hasn't done anything in the NFL yet, who'd already been injured, who we over-drafted in the first place most likely. 

We will always have that game saving INT against the Giants.

4 minutes ago, FireInHisBelly said:

Stunning flip from him but also some of you fans. It's his life - if he wants to walk away from football, either for his health or other reasons, that's 100% his decision to make and we should respect it. Knowing what we do about CTE already, if he is thinking of retiring for his health and future self, I totally respect that and he has my full support. I would never ask someone to sacrifice their cognitive abilities and physical mobility strictly for my entertainment value. 

I can agree with that, which is why Skins shouldn't have tried convincing him to come back. They should have just cut him. To protect him from further injuries.

4 minutes ago, Jacoby6644 said:

Not gonna crap on the guy for wanting to retire to protect his health, but couldn't have said this before today? Would have been nice to not have to cut someone. 

This happens to teams every year but what bugs me like your comment is that there are some hungry football players we cut who would give anything to be put back on to our roster so they must be really upset about this report too.

5 minutes ago, FireInHisBelly said:

I agree it's okay for him to retire. Like you said, it's his life.

I also think it's okay for fans to be upset that the team wasted a 2nd round pick on him, if he does. When you are a professional athlete, you sign up for fans to look at you as something other than just a person. 

I can feel empathy for his injuries or his mental state, maybe feel a slight sense of respect for his sound decision-making (given how dangerous a sport it is) as a person, and still feel my "fan emotions" about him as a player. Human beings are more complex than one feeling at a time can describe. 

Yeah I get that. It's more the trashing him as a person as soft or weak because he wants to possibly retire at a young age. Admittedly, the timing of this is horrible but whatever - we are bigger than just one player. 

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Bring In TJ Ward then... better anyways 

Ward went to the Bucs for $5M. 

If the dude doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to play.  I don't understand the issue here or why he should be raked over the coals.  The NFL is a job for some of these guys at the end of the day.  Like anyone else, they might want to change direction in their lives.  Just because they're in the NFL doesn't make them different...you might have different expectations of them but that's your problem.

Everyone LOVED this guy last year, now all of a sudden he's a pretty boy who's more concerned about his Instagram following.  All of a sudden everyone's an expert and knew he "really didn't love the game, I could tell from the start."  Oh really?  Enlighten us, tell us what magical insight you have that others don't considering we all watch the same games that you do? 

The dude had a concussion last year and was worried about his vision.  Sure there are some guys out there that don't give a **** and will deal with the consequences later.  But there are some that actually want to have a life after football.  They're human.  

Some of the replies in here are pretty sad.  

Archived