Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think my posts expressed a hell of a lot more of a nuanced opinion than that, if you care to read the longer ones, rather than taking quotes of mine out of context because you've decided you're mad about something I said.

Nah, after your long posts, you still think we should just "let him go" without a second thought. It's a shame that you still don't get it, even after time to reflect on your original gut instinct.

Just now, SkinsTillIDie said:

Nah, after your long posts, you still think we should just "let him go" without a second thought. It's a shame that you still don't get it, even after time to reflect on your original gut instinct.

Unless you are Cravens himself, you don't "get it" either. You just value your own assumptions and opinions more than others'...which is a cornerstone of the human experience, so I don't hold that against you. 

5 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

I'd let him go. Guy wants to retire. No ill-will. He's not into it anymore for whatever reason. He's allowed to quit on us but we can't him? It's not fair to the other players on the field who need to be concerned he's not out there giving his all.

If it's a non-football issue, get him the help he needs, but forcing him to do something he doesn't want to do doesn't do any good for anyone involved, especially him. 

9 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

You really think a guy who's been in love with football his whole life, worshipped Sean Taylor and Troy Polamalu, achieved his dream and reached the NFL, was known for bringing intense energy, enthusiasm and passion on the field -- suddenly wants to leave it all behind... and isn't depressed? Especially with a recent history of concussions? Think you have to be incredibly dense to believe he's not going through some real troubling **** right now.

It wasn't "sudden"...from all reports on the guy his thoughts on retiring follow a string of incidents involving his dedication to the game, the team, and injuries he has faced over the last year and a half.

Bottom line, it might be worse to put out there that he has some sort of mental illness to deal with than to say he just doesn't care about playing anymore...there's a massive world out there beyond football that won't give two ****s if you decided a year into your NFL career that you didn't have the desire to continue on it. But almost everyone will care if your history has a case of mental health issues in it. Maybe it would be better to not just automatically assume it's the truth, and wait for more info instead (if that info ever comes, that is).

You really think a guy who's been in love with football his whole life, worshipped Sean Taylor and Troy Polamalu, achieved his dream and reached the NFL, was known for bringing intense energy, enthusiasm and passion on the field -- suddenly wants to leave it all behind... and isn't depressed? Especially with a recent history of concussions? Think you have to be incredibly dense to believe he's not going through some real troubling **** right now.

It could be that but we still don't know. 

18 minutes ago, dallasfan said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/03/undrafted-rookie-cole-beasley-quits-on-the-cowboys/

This is an article back in 2012 about Cole Beasley.  Garrett talked him into coming back and I think we can all agree it worked out well.  I don't know what Cravens' motivations are, but it's not impossible for him to recover from this.

A very good point. In either case, Sua is going to be under a lot of pressure for a while. It's up to him to decide whether to beat it or fold up.

2 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Well dude everything you are getting worked up about is all speculatory at this stage.  No one knows (for sure) if it's depression, lack of desire for the game, etc

If it's not a mental health issue and he just doesn't want to play football anymore, the fans have every right to be upset.  The team put a huge investment in the guy and he signed a contract that he doesn't intend to honor.  

If the rumors/reports are true, I hope he reaches out to a guy like Brandon Marshall who overcame A LOT and came out on the other side as a better person and player.

Working on a Cravens story. This quote from Josh Norman was in response to a general question, but is important to remember.

DI0XVuYVAAAPhua.jpg

JP Finlay Retweeted Peter Rosenberg

Agree with this 100 percent. Talented player and a good dude.

JP Finlay added,

Peter RosenbergVerified account @Rosenbergradio
Hope @Sua_Cravens is ok .. what a talented kid

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I'd let him go. Guy wants to retire. No ill-will. He's not into it anymore for whatever reason. He's allowed to quit on us but we can't him? It's not fair to the other players on the field who need to be concerned he's not out there giving his all.

If it's a non-football issue, get him the help he needs, but forcing him to do something he doesn't want to do doesn't do any good for anyone involved, especially him. 

Nobody's forcing him to do anything.  Put him on the list, let him sort some things out and revisit it later.  Maybe he refinds the passion that got him here, or he decides to follow his first mind and retire.  This seems like the equivalent of giving him some space to work some things out.

8 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

IF he is having mental illness issues he has MORE than enough money to avail himself of all the benefits of modern medicine, unlike many people.  I feel no sorrow for Sua Cravens, and if he doesn't want to play pro football it is a crime to not sign a guy who is willing to play his guts out because Sua came with a 2nd round USC Mclaughlin pedigree. They might have a family to feed.

2 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

It's pretty clear mental health is poorly understood by some on here. Hope those who need it most learn to expand their moral-ethical horizons and arenas of awareness. Would've expected more from a few members of the community

When some people immediately went to "he's soft", you knew where some folks heads were.

9 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

It's pretty clear mental health is poorly understood by some on here. Hope those who need it most learn to expand their moral-ethical horizons and arenas of awareness. Would've expected more from a few members of the community

This is how I imagined you looking as you typed that...

p-1-how-to-handle-your-bosss-condescensi

By the way, hope that Jumbo agrees with you, because if he doesn't lol....hoo, boy.

I sympathize with the guy if that's the case, but are you his therapist? Do you know what he's dealing with? Everything I've heard or seen videowise points to he's lost his love and motivation for the game. He's frustrated and instead of dealing with the adversity of the situation he decided he just doesn't want to do it anymore. No shame in that, but the fact that it's been reiterated that he's only changed his mind... for now, and the fact that this isn't the first time he's contemplated retirement before speaks enough volume to know he shouldn't be playing the game. 

Just now, justice98 said:

When some people immediately went to "he's soft", you knew where some folks heads were.

1. He is absolutely soft. The story about his bicep injury last year shows it. People saying that has nothing to do with whether he has mental health issues or not. 

2. We have no idea about his mental state or if that has anything to do with this situation. You're making your own assumptions because it fits the narrative you find most likely. So are others. 

This isn't really complicated. 

Yes, it's his life and his body. If he wants out, he should get out and how it affects the team or the fans shouldn't matter. 

And its also OK for fans to call him out for it. By all accounts he is a guy that didn't give it his all. Either in college or NFL. He probably just doesn't really love or even like football and has little desire to "push" through anything for it. 

I would not have talked him back into it unless they think he has some personal stuff that needs to be worked out. 

Just looks like like a bad draft pick. A poorly researched one, which is surprising. I didnt have high hopes for him this year anyway. Moving on...

8 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

IF he is having mental illness issues he has MORE than enough money to avail himself of all the benefits of modern medicine, unlike many people. 

Not really. I mean he's not struggling but if he does retire he'll have to give back a portion of the SB and he only made about 450K last year. Not chump change, certainly but not exactly set up for life dough either.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Not really. I mean he's not struggling but if he does retire he'll have to give back a portion of the SB and he only made about 450K last year. Not chump change, certainly but not exactly set up for life dough either.

Really? Thats not enough to get a health plan? 

1 minute ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

IF he is having mental illness issues he has MORE than enough money to avail himself of all the benefits of modern medicine, unlike many people.  I feel no sorrow for Sua Cravens, and if he doesn't want to play pro football it is a crime to not sign a guy who is willing to play his guts out because Sua came with a 2nd round USC Mclaughlin pedigree. They might have a family to feed.

People with mental health problems are generally pretty poor about recognizing their need for help, depending on what it is.  It's why sometimes people seem fine, fine, fine, and then suddenly a suicide happens out of (seemingly) nowhere.  If he is having mental health issues, just because he hasn't looked into treatment doesn't mean that he should be attacked for not looking into treatment.

Indeed, in a lot of cases people start getting treatment, but there isn't a one-size-fits-all approach to mental health issues.  Different people react differently to different medications and the like.  For all we know, maybe he has been seeing someone, but whatever plan they have him on isn't working.  It's pretty common.  Medicine isn't quite the best fit, or dosage is off, etc. etc.  It can sometimes take a long time and lots of trial and error to find the right combination of things to get someone on the right track.

10 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

NFLPA has health insurance for players as part of the CBA, doesn't it?...If not, they ****ed up pretty bad lol...and I think I read somewhere that the health insurance would continue for a certain number of years after retirement (either it already does or that's something they plan on addressing in the next CBA)...

5 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Really? Thats not enough to get a health plan? 

Well I assume he's covered by the NFL. 

Also, i'm not saying he's not comfortable, but he's not in the same boat as many of the athletes taking home millions. Living in LA, half a million doesn't get you very far anymore. It's ridiculous. 

Just now, justice98 said:

We are talking about a guy going into his second season that's already had his commitment questioned.  It is entirely possible he is soft and not cut out for the pros.  There is more out there documenting that than this talk of mental illness.

Good football player but I'm absolutely shocked McCloughan drafted his personality. Clearly his passion for the game hasn't been there. Last year's draft is looking very rough on McCloughan's resume. There's more to life than football, I hope Su'a finds himself or whatever he's looking for. Remember- he's 22. 

Archived