Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

I wish the best to Sua, seems like his retirement is a foregone conclusion but the Redskins are extending a lifeline by putting him on the exempt list which allows for emotions to settle down so he can make the correct decision with a clear mind. I don't think it a good idea to play such a brutal sport when you don't 100% love what you do.

That's my view from the human aspect.

As a Redskins fan it hurts we wasted a 2nd round pick on a guy who we now know tried to quit while he was in college.

Don't we have people who get paid to find these things out before we draft?

30 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Doesn't sound like a mental illness thing so much as a sense of entitlement. He found out real quick that entitlement doesn't exist in the NFL.

I'm sure they're just as thrilled with Cyrus Jones.

This is coming from someone who almost entered that field.  Studied psych as an undergrad, took grad classes, did research, worked in the field a little and then I changed course to something different.  I don't see how we can tell squat whether he has a mental illness or not based on that article.  IMO, we'd need a lot more info and to know the guy personally. 

I didn't get the sense at least from that article that its squarely about entitlement issues.  It could be mood swings and maybe depression.  Or heck it could be he just doesn't love football.  Or he's just going through some temporary issues.  It might be deep, it might not be.  

Yes it's disappointing that yet another 2nd rounder for the Redskins is not working out...

but on personally level, I hope Cravens just stays true to himself and make a best decision for him and only him.... that decision will be also the best for the Redskins...  

Cravens has talent and it would be to nice to have him on the field but if he isn't "all-in" then Redskins are better off without him...

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is coming from someone who almost entered that field.  Studied psych as an undergrad, took grad classes, did research, worked in the field a little and then I changed course to something different.  I don't see how we can tell squat whether he has a mental illness or not based on that article.  IMO, we'd need a lot more info and to know the guy personally. 

I didn't get the sense at least from that article that entitlement.  It could be mood swings and maybe depression.  Or heck it could be he just doesn't love football.  Or he's just going through some temporary issues.  It might be deep, it might not be.  

My opinion is I don't think it's mental illness and as much as people like to jump on others for not immediately diagnosing someone going through some **** as "mental illness" it's devaluing the importance of spotting symptoms of true mental illness just because someone doesn't want to do something anymore.

The article made it seem that Cravens was getting preferential treatment from USC and even aiding his entitlement by not only allowing him to skip days at his convenience but then choosing not to disclose that vital information to teams that I'm sure came asking about him.

He just doesn't seem to want it. I'm not going to declare him a victim of mental illness based on what I know and what has been reported. I'm not going to hound him on social media and lambast him for this but I'm also going to put in my two cents. Did Barry Sanders or Calvin Johnson have mental illness? No, they decided that their heart wasn't in it anymore and wanted to get out in one piece. Cravens has been banged up and doesn't want to risk his health, especially after seeing the struggles that fellow safety Jarrett has and continues to go through.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

My opinion is I don't think it's mental illness and as much as people like to jump on others for not immediately diagnosing someone going through some **** as "mental illness" it's devaluing the importance of spotting symptoms of true mental illness just because someone doesn't want to do something anymore.

I agree.  My only point is it cuts both ways.  I don't see how anyone can diagnose squat from the info we have.  I also don't see how we could rule it out either.   We got no clue.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree.  My only point is it cuts both ways.  I don't see how anyone can diagnose squat from the info we have.  I also don't see how we could rule it out either.   We got no clue.

100% which is why I stated it was merely my opinion. I'm little more than a keyboard warrior lol.

"Football player" ya`ll

Also, another example of rumors around Redskins Park being 100 percent CORRECT.  Hope all you "fake news", "WaPo is a rag"  crowd go peel a dead crow off the interstate and shove it down your throat

He is who they said he was

5 minutes ago, zoony said:

"Football player" ya`ll

Also, another example of rumors around Redskins Park being 100 percent CORRECT.  Hope all you "fake news", "WaPo is a rag"  crowd go peel a dead crow off the interstate and shove it down your throat

He is who they said he was

In fairness Zoony this was also what they said about him at USC. Looks like Scot rolled the dice on a guy who wasn't fully committed to football while in college. Obviously, going pro didn't change that. 

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Believe me, I'm sure I'm not the only one - but I am a huge mental illness survivor story.  

Now is the time for his FAMILY to be there for him, because he is lucky enough to have one.

Granted things like diet and exercise and therapy will help major depression more than most people acknowledge - but its tough to do those things when you can't even get together the energy to brush your teeth.  Depression is much more physical than people admit.

Sua has plenty of options to take care of himself if this is truly the case (which we don't know).  If he doesn't avail himself of the help and he is lucky enough to have friends and family who actually care an will try to help him? THEN THAT **** IS ON HIM.  Sure its sad, but I don't have time to be sad for everyone.  Why be more sad for Sua than the guy who's spot in the NFL Sua is occupying?

One of the best posts I have read on here ever. Thanks for sharing your story and I highlighted a couple parts above.

-It is on Him, you can't make an alcoholic stop drinking even if you see it is killing him right before your eyes. He must admit the problem first to himself then to others.

-That said, human nature wishes the best for him but as you acknowledged at what point do you care more about the person who is sick and not helping themselves? 

-Family is a big part of recovery, the aspect of recognition on their part only goes so far in the healing process and can actually be quite detrimental if He chooses to not act on sound family advice. 

-Like you, I think his timing is terrible and has effected his teammates and maybe Coaches, can he ever recover that trust, bond? 

I know if you did this in a professional business setting you most likely end up fired and replaced ASAP. At the least from outside appearances Bruce did the right thing here, is the right thing the best thing for the team? Only time will tell. I did read a story about Cole Beasley quitting football on Aug. 3 in his rookie year, so it is surely possible Su'a can overcome this. 

Just read the Washington Post article, I'm not sure what to say.  I believe he was getting broken up physically playing linebacker at his size, but didn't think that would wear him out mentally like that that fast.  I'll be fine if he wants to come back same as if he decides to leave.  These are people, not robots.

one of things that struck me about Su'a is at least on the field, the dude plays with fire and energy.  As for what's up with him?  Got not clue.  But he didn't play like a guy who went through the motions.    

Passion for football fuels the play of USC defensive standout Su’a Cravens

OS ANGELES – When he was a toddler, Su’a Cravens would sit on his father’s lap and watch football. If his dad dared change the channel, little Su’a would cry.

“Something’s wrong with this kid,” Kevin Cravens would joke to his wife, Yolanda.

There was nothing wrong with their son. Su’a Cravens just had a thing for football. He couldn’t get enough of it. Still can’t. His passion for the game – its nuances, its techniques, its strategies – is among the biggest reasons he’s so good at it.

Of course the playmaking outside linebacker has speed, strength and leaping ability. So does every other USC player.

“That gets you looked at,” Kevin Cravens said. “There’s a lot more boxes you have to check, especially the level he’s playing at.

“The mental side of it is the biggest thing. All those kids out there are outstanding athletes. It’s the mental part, the grind. It definitely takes a kid that will sit there and watch film in his diapers.”

Su’a Cravens is 19 now, all-conference and All-American, but in many ways he hasn’t changed. He gets up at 6 in the morning every Saturday during the football season to watch ESPN’s “College GameDay” – even if the Trojans are playing at 7 at night. He eschews parties after football games because he’d rather go home and watch “SportsCenter.” He breaks down film the next day with his dad.

So, Su’a … what do you love about football?

“It takes all my outside stresses away,” Cravens said. “For three hours out (of) my day, my mind is clear and everything is simple.

“I think that’s why I make plays. There’s no pressure when I play. It’s more me having fun than it is being work.”

http://www.ocregister.com/2015/04/09/passion-for-football-fuels-the-play-of-usc-defensive-standout-sua-cravens/

Archived