Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

19 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He he literally said he fired Marty because he was "not having fun". He wanted personnel input. They went on the fire up Redskins one sprees right after that. Why would you question Dan's own reasoning and subsequent involvement?

Really?...I have yet to see that quote attributed to Snyder.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I think that's pretty scary **** for a young person to go through and it wouldn't shock me if it knocked the love of football out of him.

I agree, if it really did happen. Again he backed off those comments fast after he said them, but yeah I agree. I still don't believe he ever had vision problems from a concussion and he was just confused about what the doctor was telling him.  That is just my gut feeling from the instances I have seen such an issue occuring - no way he would have come back that year like he did if he had brain damage, which it was said that he didn't. 

All we can know for sure is that Sua is a weird guy (which is ok) and maybe a little bit more of a sensitive soul than your average alpha male predator NFL type. 

59 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I agree, if it really did happen. Again he backed off those comments fast after he said them, but yeah I agree. I still don't believe he ever had vision problems from a concussion and he was just confused about what the doctor was telling him.  That is just my gut feeling from the instances I have seen such an issue occuring - no way he would have come back that year like he did if he had brain damage, which it was said that he didn't. 

All we can know for sure is that Sua is a weird guy (which is ok) and maybe a little bit more of a sensitive soul than your average alpha male predator NFL type. 

and that's cool. I'd probably get along with him in real life better than most of the team. lol 

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Really?...I have yet to see that quote attributed to Snyder.

It was either Dan or Vinny talking about Dan. If I recall correctly the comment was made after Spurrier quit and Gibbs came back. They gave a bunch of interviews that off season and went over Dan's tenure and how they got to that point.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of players can get through college football based on talent, but once you hit the NFL, you have to put in the extra work that builds on your natural talent.  It is not an easy grind and I am sure it takes a lot of mental toughness as well as physical toughness.   Throw in his concussion from last year and any complications that might have stemmed from that as well as more modern information on long term effects of concussions and who knows what is going on in his mind (which could be all completely valid).

I still remember vividly when I stopped playing baseball competitively halfway into my high school years.  Had nothing to do with my skill level verus my peers, I just didn't have the drive to put in all the hard work in the offseason/preseason to get me in the best shape and have me be the best version of myself once the season kicked off.  I was always content on doing whatever during the non-season and then taking a handful of games to get "it" back  That stuff worked in little league and JV, but Varsity was my first taste of "you think you can just roll up on Game 1 and....."  and I simply didn't have the passion to do it at that level.

Is it silly to compare that to Cravens situation? Probably.....but it is still something I kind of understand in a tiny way.  

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, I remember seeing Kiper and Scheffter talking about you only having a 4rth round grade on him. :ols:

I dont give a **** about Kiper and Scheffter. I put HOURS into the draft for my own enjoyment and the rest of the people on here that enjoy the draft threads. If you dont then dont read them. But dont try make me out for a fool. Like I said I got blasted and I WAS RIGHT. So go **** yourself. You are incapable of making a comment on these boards unless it is some kind of snide ass remark. Welcome to my ignore list.

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It was either Dan or Vinny talking about Dan. If I recall correctly the comment was made after Spurrier quit and Gibbs came back. They gave a bunch of interviews that off season and went over Dan's tenure and how they got to that point.

If I recall it was Vinny saying so in an interview.  To me the kicker that same period was marked by bringing back Vinny to replace John Schneider who is now almost universily regarded as the best GM in the league (and was well regarded, then too)

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think Everett was in the video at all.

Maybe you're lookin at Zach Brown, the only guy laughing, but he was laughing in a totally different conversation.

It was Kelley. I thought it was 22, but it's 20.

another undrafted guy who fought onto the team laughing at the high draft pick that can't play.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont give a **** about Kiper and Scheffter. I put HOURS into the draft for my own enjoyment and the rest of the people on here that enjoy the draft threads. If you dont then dont read them. But dont try make me out for a fool. Like I said I got blasted and I WAS RIGHT. So go **** yourself. You are incapable of making a comment on these boards unless it is some kind of snide ass remark. Welcome to my ignore list.

Haha, I was making a joke and I do enjoy your draft stuff. It's good.

I also agreed with your grade.

Still funny though Suzy

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

It was Kelley. I thought it was 22, but it's 20.

another undrafted guy who fought onto the team laughing at the high draft pick that can't play.

There are thousands of players who would give anything for the opportunity to play at this level.

The fact that the Skins rewarded Sua by announcing his switch to safety last year after he didn't show up for 3 days and refused to play with the bicep bruise was a bad precedent. Instead of nipping it in the bud they coddled him and it bit them back at the worst time.

They should have suspended him and told him to think about his football future and to comeback only if he was committed and bought in.

59 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

There are thousands of players who would give anything for the opportunity to play at this level.

The fact that the Skins rewarded Sua by announcing his switch to safety last year after he didn't show up for 3 days and refused to play with the bicep bruise was a bad precedent. Instead of nipping it in the bud they coddled him and it bit them back at the worst time.

They should have suspended him and told him to think about his football future and to comeback only if he was committed and bought in.

I agree. Not sure what that had to do with my comment though.

25 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I've done a search on "Snyder", "not", "having", "fun" and "Schottenheimer" (no quotation marks lol) from 2000 through 2009, haven't come up with anything so far. I do remember an article that talked about how Snyder wanted Beathard to come back and be GM again and for Schotty to give up his GM duties and be a head coach only...that Beathard refused to work with Schotty for some reason and that Schotty refused to give up his GM powers...that Schotty got canned after that and that Snyder still was negotiating for Beathard to come back and be GM again...that those negotiations broke down due to Snyder's offer being too low...that Beathard finally said he'd return at that low offer under a certain condition that I can't remember offhand...that Snyder never really responded in a timely manner and that beathard said "screw this" because of it...that after that, Snyder brought in Vinny again and hired Spurrier, a coach he had been wanting to hire for awhile.

But I don't recall anyone claiming Snyder "literally" said not having fun was why he dismissed Schottenheimer.

This is the closest thing I've found so far:

From Washington after going 8-8 in 2001 in his only season on the job: Owner Dan Snyder met with him and explained he wanted more control over personnel issues. Schottenheimer said no. "He said, 'Well, I want to do it,' " Schottenheimer says. "I said, 'Well, you do what you have to do.' And he said, 'I'm going to have to fire you.' "

Which he did. Right then and there.

Also found this:

The Redskins' attempt to hire Bobby Beathard as their general manager has hit a snag, sources said. The negotiations have broken down but Snyder will continue to pursue the former GM of the Redskins and San Diego Chargers, according to sources.

The team's list of general manager candidates, sources said, includes Oakland Raiders senior assistant Bruce Allen, the son of late Redskins coach George Allen; former Green Bay Packers GM Ron Wolf; and Ken Herock, formerly Wolf's top lieutenant in Green Bay.

And this:

He was assured that Bobby Beathard would be hired in the next few days, and he thought the former Redskins exec would be “an excellent choice.”

This, of course, was the subject of frenzied reporting at the time, when Beathard seemed destined for a return to Washington, before talks fell through. The Post reported before the 2001 season was even over that the Redskins intended to pursue Spurrier, and that Beathard was Snyder’s preferred choice at GM. In the days after that season ended, The Post reported that Beathard would “probably be hired,” and that the former GM would accept the job as long as Marty Schottenheimer was no longer the coach.

So, yeah, I'm having a harder time believing Snyder "not having fun" was the reason Schotty was fired...

So if the report about this designation is true, Cravens basically has 5 days to show whether he really changed his mind or not.  If the 5th day comes and goes, the Redskins either have to hold an empty roster spot for him going forward in hopes he will work stuff out soon, or shut him down for the season, yeah?  If it comes to that, are they allowed to officially sever ties/cut him?

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

I was commenting on you mentioning fat Rob's reaction in the video and how so many players like him don't have an entitled attitude and don't take opportunities for granted.

Der, I'm a dolt haha. Yeah, that was the exact point I tried to make.

24 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He gave Marty Schottenheimer roster control and then whacked him after one season, because, as one employee told the The Washington Post, Snyder “wasn’t having any fun.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/tired-of-the-redskins-dysfunction-theres-one-person-to-blame/2017/03/11/2aef60dc-05d3-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.6dd6e99bd7ce

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If I recall correctly, he apparently did say words to that effect to somebody, but I cant remember who.  Andy Pollin uses that quote to jab often to get at Snyder.

Right.

But even if it's not an exact quote, I think the version Cali posted above qualifies enough.  Snyder, who knows jack about football told Marty Schottenheimer that he "wanted" to have more control over personnel and subsequently fired him.  Why on earth would he want to have more control other than to have fun?

Archived