Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

13 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So if the report about this designation is true, Cravens basically has 5 days to show whether he really changed his mind or not.  If the 5th day comes and goes, the Redskins either have to hold an empty roster spot for him going forward in hopes he will work stuff out soon, or shut him down for the season, yeah?  If it comes to that, are they allowed to officially sever ties/cut him?

I read it to be that they theoretically could have put him on the list and not given him the consequences if he didnt show up.  Because it would be stupid of Bruce to persuade him to not retire, then immediately put the 5 day window on him. 

I suspect they're giving him some breathing room of at least a few weeks to sort it out such that it doesnt come to putting an ultimatum on him. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He gave Marty Schottenheimer roster control and then whacked him after one season, because, as one employee told the The Washington Post, Snyder “wasn’t having any fun.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/tired-of-the-redskins-dysfunction-theres-one-person-to-blame/2017/03/11/2aef60dc-05d3-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.6dd6e99bd7ce

So we've gone from Snyder "literally said he fired Marty because he was "not having fun"

.....to Vinny saying Snyder said he was "not having fun"

...to an employee at Redskins Park saying, in his opinion, Snyder "wasn't having any fun" lol...

I'm sticking with still not quite buying it.

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I read it to be that they theoretically could have put him on the list and not given him the consequences if he didnt show up.  Because it would be stupid of Bruce to persuade him to not retire, then immediately put the 5 day window on him. 

I suspect they're giving him some breathing room of at least a few weeks to sort it out such that it doesnt come to putting an ultimatum on him. 

Yeah...it's not going to matter.  He's done. Not grown up and doesn't have the heart. He will be sorry, when he grows up, after making excuses for many years. 

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

So we've gone from Snyder "literally said he fired Marty because he was "not having fun"

...to an employee at Redskins Park saying, in his opinion, Snyder "wasn't having any fun" lol...

Here is Dan's official quote on firing Marty:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/29/dan-snyder-says-he-fired-vinny-cerrato-for-letting-him-hire-jim-zorn/?utm_term=.a0776eb53e73

On Marty Schottenheimer: “I like Marty and still do to this day,” Snyder said. “We are good friends. He’d still be here if he didn’t want to do it all. He was insistent on doing it all. That was something that I don’t think works. One guy can’t do everything. He was a machine on that front. He wouldn’t drop the personnel side and give us a chance at more of a team energy.”

Pretty much Dan not having fun...

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I guess they forgot you need time stamped audio and video evidence of Snyder saying stupid things for you to actually believe it. 

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

I didn't think you'd buy in.  That's why I gave it in a response to Socalskins who wondered where he saw it versus to your post about not being able to find an article on it.    We've gotten into some hot debates on Dan/Bruce of late, I don't want to do it here.   I'll just say I wish I had the same view point about Dan as you.  I'd sleep much better in my Redskins fandom.   So I envy your thought process.  I just can't buy into it based on how I process everything I've seen  :).  But to each their own. 

21 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Here is Dan's official quote on firing Marty:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/29/dan-snyder-says-he-fired-vinny-cerrato-for-letting-him-hire-jim-zorn/?utm_term=.a0776eb53e73

On Marty Schottenheimer: “I like Marty and still do to this day,” Snyder said. “We are good friends. He’d still be here if he didn’t want to do it all. He was insistent on doing it all. That was something that I don’t think works. One guy can’t do everything. He was a machine on that front. He wouldn’t drop the personnel side and give us a chance at more of a team energy.”

Pretty much Dan not having fun...

How is that "pretty much Dan not having fun"?...And better still, how is that even remotely Snyder "literally" saying he fired Schotty because he was "not having fun"?

I think I provided a TON more evidence that "having fun" wasn't the reason...including that his first and second desire was NOT to become GM again. He wanted Beathard to be GM.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't think you'd buy in.  That's why I gave it in a response to Socalskins who wondered where he saw it versus to your post about not being able to find an article on it.    We've gotten into some hot debates on Dan/Bruce of late, I don't want to do it here.   I'll just say I wish I had the same view point about Dan as you.  I'd sleep much better in my Redskins fandom.   So I envy your thought process.  I just can't buy into it based on how I process everything I've seen  :).  But to each their own. 

"Buy in"?...I bought in to an employee giving their opinion. That's lightyears away from Snyder "literally saying he was not having fun". Nobody can dispute that.

And it's nowhere near the same as Vinny saying Snyder told him he wasn't having fun, or some version of it.

My initial response was that I have not seen that quote about not having fun attributed to Snyder anywhere. The only thing the posts you and SoCal proved was that, so far, I'm right in that regard lol...

"Buy in"...please.

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I guess they forgot you need time stamped audio and video evidence of Snyder saying stupid things for you to actually believe it. 

So I should be more like you and buy into anything that helps me support my agenda, regardless of whether or not there's evidence to the contrary.

Hmm...lemme think about that for a moment...hmmm

Nope, nope...gonna stick to being logical and analytical, and making sure I can actually back up my statements without needing others to just accept my words as fact, thanks.

By the way, guys...the WaPo admitted they made up 90% of the stuff about Snyder over the years simply because they don't like the guy.

Now, I don't have a time stamped audio and video clip of them admitting this, but nobody here would ask for anything other than if what I just said matches their preconceived views, right?...That's obviously more than enough around here.

16 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

My initial response was that I have not seen that quote about not having fun attributed to Snyder anywhere. The only thing the posts you and SoCal proved was that, so far, I'm right in that regard lol...

"Buy in"...please.

My point was this isn't the first rodeo with the two of us on the subject of Bruce and Dan.  We know where we stand.  

Dan doesn't really speak much so you aren't going to get quotes from him about much.  We got an article that flat out says that an employee said Dan said that.  

I'll give you this.  

A. If that quote seems consistent to what you think of Dan based on other info.  You'd be inclined to believe it.  (Me)

B. If that quote doesn't seem consistent to what you think of Dan based on other info.  You won't be inclined to believe it.  (You)

That's why I didn't direct the post at you but the person who wondered where they saw it.  Like I said, we've made our positions known to each other on Bruce/Dan so why spin our wheels on the topic?  I'm sure there are plenty of other things we could agree on.  On this one, we are a mile apart.  But that's cool.  Like I said to each their own. I don't want to debate that subject on the Cravens thread, it had a little relevance initially but now its off topic.   

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

So I should be more like you and buy into anything that helps me support my agenda, regardless of whether or not there's evidence to the contrary.

Hmm...lemme think about that for a moment...hmmm

Nope, nope...gonna stick to being logical and analytical, and making sure I can actually back up my statements without needing others to just accept my words as fact, thanks.

If by logical and analytical you mean digging deep into the depths of minutia to defend Snyder and the gang, sure.

All this over a comment that obviously nobody can validate, completely dismissing a long history of actions that entirely support the notion that Dan liked to "have fun" with his new toy. It's not so much about whether he used those exact words or not, but the way he ran the team, particularly at that point in time, aligns with a guy that wants to have fun i.e.: have a say in player personnel. 

24 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

REALLY? This is football. It's not knitting class. What has happened to our society that Jerry Brewer is going to write a column on pampering a safety in the NFL. I am simply floored at this point. Cut him and put the next guy in. Trying to pamper a football player leads to losing the rest of the team.

More nonsense that nobody should even bother considering:

"According to sources, Schottenheimer told Snyder that he perhaps could work with a new general manager but does not want to change his offensive coaching staff. Some of Snyder's advisers believe Schottenheimer should be fired unless he replaces offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye with a coach from outside the organization. Snyder and Schottenheimer yesterday continued talks that began with a meeting Monday night....

If the Redskins become convinced they won't be able to hire Spurrier, Snyder might have to choose between Schottenheimer and Beathard. Snyder apparently could have Beathard and a new coach, perhaps Mariucci. Or Snyder could have Schottenheimer and a different general manager candidate, perhaps Oakland Raiders senior assistant Bruce Allen. But he apparently cannot have Beathard and Schottenheimer, unless he persuades Beathard to change his mind.

There is considerable sentiment within the organization to dismiss Raye but not replace him with Schottenheimer's son Brian, the team's quarterbacks coach."

Now, just ignore all of that, and everything else I posted that tries to paint in behind-the-scene facts...seriously, ignore it. Not important, at all. Should play no role whatsoever in any assessment. All of it, every word, is easily trumped by an anonymous employee saying they felt Snyder was "not having fun", as well as Snyder himself literally admitting that Schotty wanted to do it all.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My point was this isn't the first rodeo on the subject of Bruce and Dan.  Dan doesn't really speak much so you aren't going to get quotes from him about much.  We got an article that flat out says that an employee said Dan said that.  

I'll give you this.  

A. If that quote seems consistent to what you think of Dan based on other info.  You'd be inclined to believe it.  (Me)

B. If that quote doesn't seem consistent to what you think of Dan based on other info.  You won't be inclined to believe it.  (You)

That's why I didn't direct the post at you but the person who wondered where they saw it.  Like I said, we've made our positions known to each other on Bruce/Dan while spin our wheels on the topic?  I'm sure there are plenty of other things we could agree on.  On this one, we are a mile apart.  But that's cool.  Like I said to each their own. I don't want to debate that subject on the Cravens thread, it had a little relevance initially but now its off topic.   

At my own risk and peril, I will offer this. The employee could very well have heard Dan S say exactly that. But it could have been because Shot's teams were ugly to watch. That brand of football is 2 yds and a pile of dust. It can win games but it's not much fiun to watch unless you are really into defense (which I am BTW.).

The problem here is people are assuming that he said it because he wanted to play fantasy football with the team and Marty was getting in his way.

In the end, I fully believe he said it, or made it clear anyway. I just am not sure you can draw a definitive conclusion as to why without more information. Any such conclusion will be based solely on your own beliefs (meaning people in general not you specifically).

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My point was this isn't the first rodeo with the two of us on the subject of Bruce and Dan.  We know where we stand.  

Dan doesn't really speak much so you aren't going to get quotes from him about much.  We got an article that flat out says that an employee said Dan said that. 

Holy **** lol...the employee never "flat out" said Dan said that. You realize that, right? Here it is again:

"...as one employee told the The Washington Post, Snyder “wasn’t having any fun.”

Nowhere does it say the employee said Dan said that. How in the world can you miss something that simple? This has nothing whatsoever to do with "stances" or "viewpoints"...the writer never says that the employee claims Snyder said this. At all, in any way.

It sounds far more like their opinion than them actually, literally quoting Snyder.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Holy **** lol...the employee never "flat out" said Dan said that. You realize that, right? Here it is again:

"...as one employee told the The Washington Post, Snyder “wasn’t having any fun.”

Nowhere does it say the employee said Dan said that. How in the world can you miss something that simple? This has nothing whatsoever to do with "stances" or "viewpoints"...the writer never says that the employee claims Snyder said this. At all, in any way.

It sounds far more like their opinion than them actually, literally quoting Snyder.

Read the entire article with that quote... This whole discussion started when Zoony stated Dan throws tantrums when draft picks don't pan out and you were disputing that characterization. The article pretty succinctly demonstrates exactly the fact that Dan is prone to tantrums regarding personnel decisions. I'm not a Salky Jenkins fan but she nails this one with facts...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/tired-of-the-redskins-dysfunction-theres-one-person-to-blame/2017/03/11/2aef60dc-05d3-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.b7602e329e30

Archived